Cant post the link but if you google it you will find it

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:18 PM
UConn126
Bass Player.

vCash: 500
WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!

You guys had to know I'd be pumped about this.

edit: Link: http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new..._to_accept.php

UConn126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post
WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!

So now what?

can they offer scholarships now?
do they now have new plans to build an arena?

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:36 PM
collin

sheesh. Why does this happen right after I leave UConn. I would have gone to most of the games if this were the case

collin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:43 PM
northeastern

Quote:
WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!

Welcome to the hardest conference in college hockey. Its fun.

northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:46 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupChamps2011 View Post
So now what?

No money to build an arena, CT is broke. They'll have to play at the XL Center.

Have to say that Hockey East must be hard up for members, the UConn hockey team sucks.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:48 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
The addition of Notre Dame and now UConn solidifies HE as the best conference in the country IMO (mostly due to ND, no offense to UConn).

Having the final New England state school in HE is great for the league too. Should be some incredible games once everyone joins up.

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:50 PM
UConn126
Bass Player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupChamps2011 View Post
So now what?

idk man, I got the news from you.

Last I heard, they were just gonna start playing their home games in Hartford at the XL-center, where the Whalers used to play and where their basketball teams current play half of their home games.

As for the scholarships, I have no clue whats going to happen. Joining a new conference doesn't give them an exemption to the title nine regulations that current prevent them from giving out hockey scholarships. Maybe they can give a couple out this year since the men's basketball team had to forfeit a few of them, and perhaps they'll cut some scholarships from the other men's teams, but unless they can find an equal amount of new women's scholarships they can't add any new scholarships for men's sports.

In all likely hood, UConn is gonna be the doormat to hockey east. We'll be a bottom dweller for the next decade probably until we fire our ancient coach and get a better program in place. It's still exciting to me though because this means I'll get to see more game against big schools with NHL prospects on their teams like BC.

Old
06-21-2012, 12:45 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Maybe they are getting the UMass coach (Cahoon) I think I just read in the globe he resigned.

Thats freakin crazy if they are trying to go HE with no scholarships. Prob will be ugly. Isn't there a womens team? Usually schools add womens first then mens to comply with title 9.

ND is too far away. Maine is supposed to be the most distant HE school (UVM should still be ECAC since they are closer to Clarkson, St Lawrence etc than UNH) so I don't really like this.

Does this mean UConn is sticking with ND no matter what in hoops? Wonder if they join Umass in the MAC for football.

I don't really like UConn but I feel for them with the Big East going bye-bye (I doubt Boise and SD St join in football and the minute Louisville gets into the Big 12 its toast) no clue what happens to their hoops and football, I think since Pitt and Syracuse are so bad at football the ACC can't take any non football powerhouse should Clemson and FSU leave. (I bet if Syracuse went with BC to the ACC 6 or 7 years ago like they should have instead of Va Tech it would be UConn and Va Tech going to the ACC now with Pitt and Rutgers the odd ones out.)

At the end of the day good for them getting a BCS game and basketball Nat Championship in before all this crap, and getting the hockey program into the best conference in the country.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:11 AM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post

Have to say that Hockey East must be hard up for members, the UConn hockey team sucks.
They badly wanted a 12th team for scheduling purposes, and it wasn't going to be Alabama-Huntsville. This has been expected for a while now.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:41 AM
wKetch22
Pure Grime

should be an easy couple of wins for UNH

wKetch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 06:50 AM
UConn126
Bass Player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
Maybe they are getting the UMass coach (Cahoon) I think I just read in the globe he resigned.

Thats freakin crazy if they are trying to go HE with no scholarships. Prob will be ugly. Isn't there a womens team? Usually schools add womens first then mens to comply with title 9.

ND is too far away. Maine is supposed to be the most distant HE school (UVM should still be ECAC since they are closer to Clarkson, St Lawrence etc than UNH) so I don't really like this.

Does this mean UConn is sticking with ND no matter what in hoops? Wonder if they join Umass in the MAC for football.

I don't really like UConn but I feel for them with the Big East going bye-bye (I doubt Boise and SD St join in football and the minute Louisville gets into the Big 12 its toast) no clue what happens to their hoops and football, I think since Pitt and Syracuse are so bad at football the ACC can't take any non football powerhouse should Clemson and FSU leave. (I bet if Syracuse went with BC to the ACC 6 or 7 years ago like they should have instead of Va Tech it would be UConn and Va Tech going to the ACC now with Pitt and Rutgers the odd ones out.)

At the end of the day good for them getting a BCS game and basketball Nat Championship in before all this crap, and getting the hockey program into the best conference in the country.
No way UConn down grades to the MAC. The Big East may be dying, but it's still leaps and bounds better than the MAC could ever dream of being.

As for title 9, UConn does have a women's team that's actually been in hockey east for a while now. The problem with the scholarships is because of the football team. They take up so many scholarships on the men's side and there's no real comparable sport for women to offset that.

Old
06-21-2012, 07:53 AM
The Last Baron*

No way in hell will UConn join the MAC in football. Once the next wave of expansion hits, they and Rutgers will go to Big 10 or ACC (whichever conference doesn't get Notre Dame should they finally join one).

The Last Baron* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:18 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by wKetch22 View Post
should be an easy couple of wins for the other 11 HE teams
Fixed it for ya

Old
06-21-2012, 08:19 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
They badly wanted a 12th team for scheduling purposes, and it wasn't going to be Alabama-Huntsville. This has been expected for a while now.
Alabama-Huntsville has a hockey team???? Wow. I know hockey has grown as a sport in the South but I had no idea that a Southern school had a Division 1 hockey team.

Old
06-21-2012, 09:24 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Uconn, prepare to be our version of the blue jackets

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:27 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Uconn, prepare to be our version of the blue jackets
Yeah that pretty much describes it

Old
06-21-2012, 09:54 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post

This screams of someone that has never lived outside of the Northeast (am I wrong?). I grew up in Massachusetts, but have since spent the past 4 years living in Minnesota, so maybe my perception has changed on the geography of the US. The travel in Hockey East is so ridiculously easy that one trip to Notre Dame a year isn't exactly backbreaking. Notre Dame is an elite institution, with elite athletics, and one of the premier arenas in NCAA hockey...I think it's worth the added miles.

Back on track, this was a no-brainer for both parties, but there are certainly some MAJOR logistical issues that UCONN needs to figure out if they have any chance of not being a doormat for the next 15 years.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

UConn Alumni here, graduated in '11. Nice to hear they're finally moving up, that being said they HAVE to be able to offer scholarships or they're screwed. I believe the issue was, with affirmative action, they had to have an equal number of mens and womens sports teams with scholarships, and because of football (and no womens football, hockey got the shaft). Could be wrong. I played on their club team and was good friends with many of the varsity guys, and they always talked about hopefully moving to hockey east.

Bruins Stooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post

Yea and the XL center BLOWS. The rink at UConn up until a decade ago was outdoors. The one they have now is newer, but it's nothing special. I wouldnt be surprised if they split between playing at the rink on the storrs campus and the XL center. (kind of like basketball does with gampel and the xl)

Bruins Stooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 01:54 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
No way UConn down grades to the MAC. The Big East may be dying, but it's still leaps and bounds better than the MAC could ever dream of being.

As for title 9, UConn does have a women's team that's actually been in hockey east for a while now. The problem with the scholarships is because of the football team. They take up so many scholarships on the men's side and there's no real comparable sport for women to offset that.
BE will have a lifeline if Boise and SD come. If they do the likes of SMU Memphis and Houston will definitely follow and BE will continue to exist. Those schools could still come anyway but I think if Boise and SD pull out theres a new conference coming (Uconn will be absolutely be invited and may join unless they want to remain w/ND and Catholic schools in hoop and maybe go independent or figure something else out Rutgers would go.)

With the new BCS decided though everything is up in the air, the chances of SD St and Boise St flying 7000 miles round trip to the east coast to play games noon games at 9am their time when the kids are waking up at what seems like 4 or 5am isn't in their best interest now there might be no automatic BCS bowl next year.

I understand now with Title 9 since UConn football is relatively new there weren't a bunch of womens sports already in place to compensate for the scholarships and just getting the football team on the field would have meant adding lots of new sports (womens hockey might well have been created to make room for the football team.)

Old
06-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins Stooge View Post
UConn Alumni here, graduated in '11. Nice to hear they're finally moving up, that being said they HAVE to be able to offer scholarships or they're screwed. I believe the issue was, with affirmative action, they had to have an equal number of mens and womens sports teams with scholarships, and because of football (and no womens football, hockey got the shaft). Could be wrong. I played on their club team and was good friends with many of the varsity guys, and they always talked about hopefully moving to hockey east.
Just pull a BU and drop football

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Shaun
beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Best thing they ever did.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 02:11 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
BU never played in a BCS bowl (20 mil payout or something)... or had more scouts at their pro day than Texas.

Ask the UConn coach why he lost his last coaching job (blew a game against Temple to win the BE outright and go to the BCS game the year Temple got kicked out the BE.) Pasqualoni was in line to be made the head of the college football coaches association of america too he was that respected by his peers when he got fired for blowing a BCS payday by losing that game to Temple and having a Syracuse player go in the crowd and try and fight fans.

Old
06-21-2012, 03:14 PM
UConn126
Bass Player.

Quote:
No way, Jose. College football >>>>> college hockey.

Now hockey's a better sport than football, I believe we all agree on that and that's why we're here. But college football has all the top amateur players in the world. College hockey has like 2 or 3 of the top amateur players in the world. If the NCAA were on par with the CHL, maybe my opinions would change, but as it stands, it's way more entertaining to have a solid, competitive football team.