HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

DRAFT: #88 - James Melindy

Old
06-23-2012, 09:51 AM
PhoPhan

vCash: 500
DRAFT: #88 - James Melindy

QMJHL defenseman.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:53 AM
76ftw

vCash: 50
Lucky! Another Wildcats defenseman for your guys, hard not to like the Yotes.

He really took off once Gormley was traded away and became a legit number 1 defenseman. Will play on the Cats again next year on a team that could win the Q. Great pick seriously. Was hoping big time he'd fall another round to the Habs but alas. He has a Morgan Ellis like skill about him, two way guy who is good in everything but not specifically great at anything. Will be a good 2nd pairing guy I think in the future. Congrats guys haha

76ftw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:54 AM
PhoPhan

Seems to be a heady two-way guy. A teammate of Gormley's.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Sindiggy
STH Row 206 Row D

decent pts, and was only -7 on a bad Moncton team. Solid pick at this stage, although I'm still steaming over the Martinook pick.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Chootoi

It's a Gormley influenced pick for sure being a teammate for 2 years, but Melindy has an incredible ceiling. He's gotten better every night I've watched him, and especially once Gormley was traded, like 76ftw said, he's quickly developed into a top defenseman in quite literally half a season.

Great skating, great defensive awareness and puck handling, not overly offensive but we already have Gormley, Yandle and Rundblad for that. I would compare him maybe to Brent Seabrook.

I really like this pick. I was hoping we might get him but I didn't think he'd be going this early TBH.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:19 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Pretty astute pick at this stage. He is going to have loads of time to develop all aspects of his game, but he definitely has the tools.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:34 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Awesome. He somehow stayed off my radar but I'm glad he was on the Coyotes'. Really love what I read. Sounds like he's got all the tools including a mean streak, it just took him six or nine months longer than the first rounders to put it all together. Big whoop. Could be a steal. Stone was a third rounder. I'm very happy with this one.

06-23-2012, 12:03 PM
ScottsdaleYote

He's right handed too. Another plus. Really like this pick.

ScottsdaleYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:39 PM
DesertDawg

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/james_melindy/

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:05 PM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

One of the most underrated D-men in the draft. At times this season he looked better than Gorms.

Phoenix is building a real pipeline here Yandle, Gormley, now Melindy.... wanna bring a pre-season game or two up here guys as a thank you?

T_Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:48 PM
mitch27

Apparently Maloney is a big Moncton fan haha. Really like this pick. Makes me feel a little better about our second rounder...

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

I remember having an interesting conversation with a scout during the Halifax/Moncton playoff series about Melindy.

Melindy is sometimes susceptible to making poor decisions in his own ends. Bad passes, giveaways, coughing up the puck, poor reads, that sort of thing. The scout and I were debating how much of a negative that really should be, mainly because of the minutes Melindy was playing.

Basically, we were talking about the fact that he was playing 30 minute games, it made it more obvious when he had a brain fart, because he was always on the ice. And of course, fatigue would factor into it too.

You guys are right, after Gormley was moved, Melindy got the lion's share of those minutes. Flynn's got a pretty good history of developing defensemen, so he should be in good hands.

06-24-2012, 11:37 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Even if the transition from supporting cast to top dog was less than seamless, it seems that, overall, the kid really excelled in an expanded role. A lot of times you see this in the year following the draft. Some say he went in the third and not soonee because he burst onto the scene some time later than first and second rounders, but a decent argument might be made that he's got a half season head start on most mid rounders.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:32 PM
zLiMbiLLY

Melindy seem to be a very nice guy, downearth, humble, cool and focused.
Really hope he will develop and establish a spot in the future. Cause he surely seem to fit into the Coyote mentality.

zLiMbiLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:33 PM
OOEEL

I seem to remember reading an article talking about how Moncton was able to kind of turn things around and keep in the playoff hunt after the traded Gormley, and the article talked about how it was due to the emergence of another defenseman once Brandon left. I didn't pay much attention to it but in hind sight I'm guessing they were talking about Melindy?

I've looked around the web trying to find it but it seems to have disappeared into the abyss. Either way I really like this pick, if he's anywhere as good as Yandle(88th overall vs 105th?) or Gormley, then this could be one of the better picks of the draft. Anyone think we had the inside track when it came to scouting him since we were already there keeping an eye on Gorms? I remember reading that we drafted Hextall because we were scouting Zac Dalpe and Brett really stood out to them.

OOEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
I seem to remember reading an article talking about how Moncton was able to kind of turn things around and keep in the playoff hunt after the traded Gormley, and the article talked about how it was due to the emergence of another defenseman once Brandon left. I didn't pay much attention to it but in hind sight I'm guessing they were talking about Melindy?

I've looked around the web trying to find it but it seems to have disappeared into the abyss. Either way I really like this pick, if he's anywhere as good as Yandle(88th overall vs 105th?) or Gormley, then this could be one of the better picks of the draft. Anyone think we had the inside track when it came to scouting him since we were already there keeping an eye on Gorms? I remember reading that we drafted Hextall because we were scouting Zac Dalpe and Brett really stood out to them.
That's possible. Knickle said that he also knows the Moncton management really well.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Chootoi

Here's a great writeup from just prior to the draft on Melindy that details his progress made last season with feedback from his current coach and a QMJHL scout.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...vid=nhl-search

Also of note, Melindy had the best fatigue index at the combine, so you know he can eat up minutes and not lose a beat.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:04 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

A bit of a cut up as well. Kind of the straight man but every Lewis needs a Martin, I suppose.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote