HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why do they always play 90's (and to some extent) 80's music to open hockey games

Old
06-22-2012, 03:27 PM
CioCio

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
90's and 70's music is universally more accepted than today's rock/pop. Those eras were two of the greatest periods in music history.
You speak for everyone? This is common knowledge, I presume? This sounds awfully close to a tenet of what's referred to as rockism; the belief that music made through acoustic/electric means (chiefly, guitars) holds more inherent value than other types of musics. RAWK TYPE STUFF 4 EVER mumbo jumbo.

CioCio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:28 PM
UgotOSHIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CioCio View Post
You speak for everyone? This is common knowledge, I presume? This sounds awfully close to a tenet of what's referred to as rockism; the belief that music made through acoustic/electric means (chiefly, guitars) holds more inherent value than other types of musics. RAWK TYPE STUFF 4 EVER mumbo jumbo.
I think the ability to actually play an instrument is indicitive of musical value, so this holds a little true to me. This is why I don't consider all these pop stars to be actual musicians.

UgotOSHIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:30 PM
umad

Sorry, but 20 years later, everyone will deem today's music as classic. Its a cycle, deal with it.

umad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:31 PM
CioCio

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgotOSHIED View Post
I think the ability to actually play an instrument is indicitive of musical value, so this holds a little true to me. This is why I don't consider all these pop stars to be actual musicians.
Pop stars are primarily entertainers. A lot of people won't seriously esteem music unless there's a visual element attached. The performers you're referring to simply entertain more people than the artists you prefer. Big deal.

Music is made up of sound, and sound has no intrinsic objective qualities. It can't be "good" or "bad". It just is.

Old
06-22-2012, 03:47 PM
oldfart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikitas donut View Post
Pretty much.

...For example, a lot of people have been pining for the 80's score fests, but I'm certain people that were fans back in the 60's said, "Hockey today is terrible" during the 80's.
true, about the music... the 60's & 80's - the 60's was mostly organ and pretty generic, the fans made all the noise...
but mostly, the really nasty thing about the 80's and into the 90's, were the mullets... MULLETS are wrestlin !!!! and hair band audiences... Joe Dirt
it was a plague, for a long time...

as for the current Staples center music - itz awful, not unexpected for Hell-A

oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:00 PM
FoSotC

Quote:
Originally Posted by umad View Post
Sorry, but 20 years later, everyone will deem today's music as classic. Its a cycle, deal with it.
Very true. My grandfather used to tell my dad that the music he was listening to back in the 60s/70s was absolute trash and that music before that was so much better, but today, the stuff he was listening to is usually held up as the gold standard by people who are too afraid to consider new things. I guarantee the same situation will happen with today's music. It's only a matter of time.

FoSotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:11 PM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by umad View Post
Disagree...go back 20years from today...i dont see anyone talking about "classic" pop music from 92'. Yea...BoysIIMen are still as hot today as Led Zeppelin or the doors. In fact, when i drive home from work tonight im going straight to my House of Pain album and blasting some "jump around"...

Most of todays artists will fade away and a select few may remain...the talented ones that is. Go back to 92' and look at rock and alternative...U2, REM, Nirvana, red hot chili peppers, ect ect...those will be the new "classics".

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:16 PM
CioCio

You're silly to think radio and TV dictate the tastes of as many people today as they did back back in the early '90s. With the internet, a lot of people can seek out the music they prefer. I listen to what I consider a wide variety of music and absolutely none of it was presented to me by mass media. What I do think is that with the advent of the internet, YouTube, social media, etc. more people are listening to a wider variety of music today than ever before.

Radio and music TV does not have the same cultural significance it used to AINEC. It's foolish to make sweeping generalizations about the longevity of music based on your particular taste. You are a drop in the bucket, of which an incredibly small portion are reading this forum.

Last edited by CioCio: 06-22-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old
06-22-2012, 04:24 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

Because this fits:

and this doesn't:

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Pengo

Quote:
It's because hockey games are usually attended by white people, who are ALWAYS behind the times musically.
What does this even mean?

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:30 PM
CioCio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengo View Post
What does this even mean?
There's a tongue-in-cheek saying that goes, "white people like music that black people don't like anymore."

Old
06-22-2012, 04:34 PM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:
You're silly to think radio and TV dictate the tastes of as many people today as they did back back in the early '90s. With the internet, a lot of people can seek out the music they prefer. I listen to what I consider a wide variety of music and absolutely none of it was presented to me by mass media. What I do think is that with the advent of the internet, YouTube, social media, etc. more people are listening to a wider variety of music today than ever before.

Radio and music TV does not have the same cultural significance it used to AINEC. It's foolish to make sweeping generalizations about the longevity of music based on your particular taste. You are a drop in the bucket, of which an incredibly small portion are reading this forum.
Im not going to address everything you said because some of it is impossible to substantiate...i will say you're right, as individuals people will listen to what THEY like and television and radio has less of an influence BUT people who listen to pop music typically like whatever is out in the "now"....pop music is like clothing...it goes out of style with time. Britney Spears, Christina Aguilara, N'Sync, Backstreet Boys are modern examples of what im talking about. Before all them, like i mentioned, you had Boys II Men, spice girls, sinead o'connor allanis morisette (i know i butchered her first name). Thats not to say all rock last forever, there certainly are plenty of one hit wonder bands or bands that were great for the time period but are painful to go back and listen to now.

More often than not, pop music is a fad where music with more substance stands the test of time.

Old
06-22-2012, 04:36 PM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:
There's a tongue-in-cheek saying that goes, "white people like music that black people don't like anymore."
That makes almost no sense...id like an example of this saying

Old
06-22-2012, 04:37 PM
FoSotC

Quote:
I've lost track of how often I've heard something like "rap music is garbage except for 'the old stuff'". What is typically meant by "the old stuff" seems to change every ten years or so.

Old
06-22-2012, 04:40 PM
CioCio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoSotC View Post
I've lost track of how often I've heard something like "rap music is garbage except for 'the old stuff'". What is typically meant by "the old stuff" seems to change every ten years or so.
Half the time, a preference for "the old stuff" is just nostalgia ****ing with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head View Post
It's tongue-in-cheek, and it's not my position, so I'm not going to bother substantiating it. It's a throwback saying to rock music's roots in blues, gospel, etc. which are traditionally seen as "black" musics. A more contemporary example would be jazz. Please note that I perfectly accept the counter that nobody likes jazz.

Last edited by CioCio: 06-22-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old
06-22-2012, 04:42 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
There's a good bit of 90s stuff and typical arena rock at the RBC Center, but there's also a good bit of stuff like Muse, Black Keys, etc. that they play. Not a bad mix, though still way too much hip hop for my tastes.

Quote:
Half the time, a preference for "the old stuff" is just nostalgia ****ing with us.
Very true in some regards, though some stuff is just flat out timeless.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:49 PM
FoSotC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head View Post
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008...en-to-anymore/

Disclaimer: The blog is satirical and was created by a white man, so don't get too offended by it.

Old
06-22-2012, 04:49 PM
CioCio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post

Very true in some regards, though some stuff is just flat out timeless.
The beauty is that each one of us gets to decide what's timeless on account of our associations with the music, life experiences, etc. In no way, however, will I posit that music I like or even adore is intrinsically superior to even the most disposable teenybopper pop song.

Last edited by CioCio: 06-22-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old
06-22-2012, 04:50 PM
CioCio

Quote:

Disclaimer: The blog is satirical and was created by a white man, so don't get too offended by it.
Nice link, thanks. To that article, I'd like to addend the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockism

A term which I brought up earlier.

Quote:
The fundamental tenet of rockism is that some forms of popular music, and some musical artists, are more authentic than others.
Quote:
One of the most famous critiques of rockism was delivered by music critic Kelefa Sanneh in an editorial, "The Rap Against Rockism."[3] He defined rockism as follows: "A rockist is someone who reduces rock 'n' roll to a caricature, then uses that caricature as a weapon. Rockism means idolizing the authentic old legend (or underground hero) while mocking the latest pop star; lionizing punk while barely tolerating disco; loving the live show and hating the music video; extolling the growling performer while hating the lip-syncher." Sanneh further asks music listeners to "stop pretending that serious rock songs will last forever, as if anything could, and that shiny pop songs are inherently disposable, as if that were necessarily a bad thing. Van Morrison's "Into the Music" was released the same year as the Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight"; which do you hear more often?"[3]

Sanneh further accuses rockism of representing a sexist, racist and homophobic point of view. Sanneh writes: "In The New York Times Book Review, Sarah Vowell approvingly recalled Nirvana's rise: "a group with loud guitars and louder drums knocking the whimpering Mariah Carey off the top of the charts." Why did the changing of the guard sound so much like a sexual assault? And when did we all agree that Nirvana's neo-punk was more respectable than Ms. Carey's neo-disco?"[3]

Contemporary writers use rockism as a polemical label to identify and critique a cluster of beliefs and assumptions in music criticism. Rockism is therefore not a connotatively neutral term; as music writer Ned Raggett writes, "You’re not going to find anyone arguing FOR [rockism] any time soon, or at least coming out and saying so—but that’s precisely because of the terms of the discourse."[4]

Last edited by CioCio: 06-22-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old
06-22-2012, 04:54 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

1st of all, the poster who posted Friday in here should be banned for life...

2nd of all, I could care less about the music unless its excruciatingly loud.

I have noticed that Detroit's music people enjoy playing like techno and euro-dance beats quite often...

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:02 PM
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
1st of all, the poster who posted Friday in here should be banned for life...

2nd of all, I could care less about the music unless its excruciatingly loud.

I have noticed that Detroit's music people enjoy playing like techno and euro-dance beats quite often...
Techno was invented in Detroit, so it's appropriate.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Rem
this face

You're welcome to come to SJ and listen to those idiots LMFAO and their stupid crap music.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:11 PM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:

my friend had a "stuff white people like calendar", like the article it was pretty funny.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
making fun of non-white people means your racist, intolerate, etc.
Do you think it meant something different 20 years ago?

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by umma gumma View Post
Because 99% of today's music is crap?
Dead wrong.

Music today is the best that it's been in a VERY long time.

Also, 80's music, for the most part, is crap.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote