HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why do they always play 90's (and to some extent) 80's music to open hockey games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2012, 06:28 PM
  #76
Censored23
Registered User
 
Censored23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 409
vCash: 500
There is a good reason why music/bands from the 60's, 70's, 80's and even the 90's are better than the crap today. Back then, you actually had to have talent to create music. Playing your own instruments was not only required, but essential, and it shows in the longevity of the bands. Today, any retard with a drum machine and a dictionary can sling together a beat and a few rhyming words and release it. Thank god 99% of today's "artists" will be forgotten within a few months...bunch of no-talent hacks.

Censored23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:53 PM
  #77
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 55,642
vCash: 500
One thing that people really seem to be forgetting here is that time weeds out the mediocrities. Bands like AC/DC and Metallica have stood the test of time...the mall pop crap that was topping the Billboard charts at that time didn't. The #1 song when I was born in 1986 was downright atrocious...and I'd never have even heard it if I hadn't looked it up on YouTube...once it's initial radio play ended the song just disappeared into history without a whimper.

Comparing the best bands of the 80s to the worst today is like comparing Debbie Gibson and Tiffany to The Beatles and The Velvet Underground.

That said I highly doubt a lot of radio stuff today will stand the test of time...it's awful now and it's going to be awful in 20 years...but a lot of the stuff that gets elevated wasn't popular when it was out.

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:55 PM
  #78
n00bxQb
Registered User
 
n00bxQb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,085
vCash: 500
I want them to start playing A Song of Fire and Ice before the Canucks come out ...

n00bxQb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:57 PM
  #79
muckbin15
parros16
 
muckbin15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Charlottetown, PEI
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,042
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by umma gumma View Post
Because 99% of today's music is crap?
its actually because 99% of hockey rink dj's/music players are "hipsters" and listening to music of our generation would be "mainstream"

muckbin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:58 PM
  #80
karnige
Real Life FTL
 
karnige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
vancouver plays god damn u2 and nickleback.

/facepalm

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:00 PM
  #81
VisionsOfStumpel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CioCio View Post
Everyone knows 80s were the best time for music. Gimme a ring when an arena plays Human League or Erasure during games; I'll bandwagon for their team in the playoffs.
They've played Human League at the Garden when I was there. I'm a huge fan so it was cool.

VisionsOfStumpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:07 PM
  #82
VisionsOfStumpel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
Also, I really like when the organ player plays obscure old music from the 50s one minute, then the next he plays a rendition of Pokerface or something.

VisionsOfStumpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:23 PM
  #83
Samcanadian
Registered User
 
Samcanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 880
Well most "educated" people think AC/DC and Metallica is bad-ass, hard-nosed music...so I dunno which I prefer: The Purists or the contemporary kid stuff lovers

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:55 AM
  #84
dkhockey
Registered User
 
dkhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Devilsmark
Country: Jersey
Posts: 2,082
vCash: 500
just stop using queens "we will rock you"..........hate it............and the accompanying image of freddie mercury in tight leather pants......

dkhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:01 AM
  #85
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,444
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhockey View Post
just stop using queens "we will rock you"..........hate it............and the accompanying image of freddie mercury in tight leather pants......
Yeah, nah. Queen will forever own, Freddie will forever own.

Morozov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:10 AM
  #86
Eple
Registered User
 
Eple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by muckbin15 View Post
its actually because 99% of hockey rink dj's/music players are "hipsters" and listening to music of our generation would be "mainstream"
Hipsters like 80's rock music? That's news to me.

Also: music today isn't ******, it's just that people associate all of today's music with the crap that they play on the radio, and not care to dig deeper. Today's music is just as good or even better than music before.


Last edited by Eple: 06-23-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Eple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:14 AM
  #87
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 10,744
vCash: 500
because the 90's rocked that's why

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:22 AM
  #88
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Trance Kuja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Teek City, Nofunia
Country: United States
Posts: 48,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by muckbin15 View Post
its actually because 99% of hockey rink dj's/music players are "hipsters" and listening to music of our generation would be "mainstream"
If they were hipsters, they'd be playing better music.

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:26 AM
  #89
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 32,288
vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnige View Post
vancouver plays god damn u2 and nickleback.

/facepalm
I hate Nickleback for the most part, but what's wrong with U2? Some of their older stuff especially is pretty damn good, even if it's overplayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckbin15 View Post
its actually because 99% of hockey rink dj's/music players are "hipsters" and listening to music of our generation would be "mainstream"
not really. Can't say I've ever heard say LCD Soundsystem at a game, though that would be pretty awesome.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:06 AM
  #90
Loso
Registered User
 
Loso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
To me there's a mix of stuff at the ACC.

The music when the players enter/before puck drop and after the final whistle is just classic rock/metal because there aren't really modern pump-up anthems that the entire audience (which in the case of the ACC is middle-aged) is familiar with.

Loso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:44 AM
  #91
Pengo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,910
vCash: 500
They really just need to get a good organist.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:09 AM
  #92
Mister Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Washington, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 1,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CioCio View Post
It's because hockey games are usually attended by white people, who are ALWAYS behind the times musically.
I've been a member here for a long time. I have seen dumb posts, people that fight with people and so on. But, nothing as bad as yours. I hope a Mod. Bans you.

Mister Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:23 AM
  #93
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!
 
8spokesontheB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengo View Post
They really just need to get a good organist.
I couldn't agree more. I wish they'd go back to the old ways...the way it was when I was first going to games at the Boston Garden...no weird pumped-in music, and no goal horns...just the sounds of the organ and the crowd. It actually was much more exciting. Big goal celebrations went on longer than the 60 second goal-horn loop. More organic and electric. There's nothing worse than enjoying yourself at the game and allasudden some tacky refrain comes booming out of the speakers and everyone's awkwardly looking around..."What are we listening to??"....

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:28 AM
  #94
Zombotron
WD-57
 
Zombotron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cascadia
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8spokesontheB View Post
I couldn't agree more. I wish they'd go back to the old ways...the way it was when I was first going to games at the Boston Garden...no weird pumped-in music, and no goal horns...just the sounds of the organ and the crowd. It actually was much more exciting. Big goal celebrations went on longer than the 60 second goal-horn loop. More organic and electric. There's nothing worse than enjoying yourself at the game and allasudden some tacky refrain comes booming out of the speakers and everyone's awkwardly looking around..."What are we listening to??"....
Every-body-clap-yo'-hands!

Zombotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:13 PM
  #95
nudie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
If you say 99% of todays music is crap, you certainly arent looking at the right places. (hint it's not the Billboard top 100)

nudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:42 PM
  #96
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper
 
The Cheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Guilford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 8,557
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bxqb View Post
i want them to start playing a song of fire and ice before the Kings, or Hank come out ...
fify.

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:45 PM
  #97
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper
 
The Cheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Guilford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 8,557
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombotron View Post
Every-body-clap-yo'-hands!
I can't stand that song.

Everybody clap yo hands... *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*

And no one ever does.

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:24 PM
  #98
King In The North
Sean Bennett
 
King In The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamilton, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,992
vCash: 500
You know, contrary to belief, there is good music out there. There was just as bad of a selection of mainstream music in any era.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:56 PM
  #99
No 19
Registered User
 
No 19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
The Bell Centre plays more of a Hard Rock/Metal/Punk/Alternative mix along with the current stuff

No 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:12 PM
  #100
Dont Poke Subban
25th is coming.
 
Dont Poke Subban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by umma gumma View Post
Because 99% of today's music is crap?
You beat me to it! Todays music is total crap. Can you imagine an arena playing justin bieber songs? Lol personally im still stuck listening to late 80s, 90s and early 2000s music.

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.