HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andrej Sekera after 7/1

Old
06-24-2012, 09:55 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Andrej Sekera after 7/1

So, Andrej Sekera has a very interestingly structured contract:

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=389

It was a 4 year, 11 million dollar deal

4.25 paid last year.
3.25 paid this year (1.75 of that as part of a signing bonus)
1.75 in 13-14
1.75 in 14-15

So, 4 year, 11 million deal. 6 million of it paid as of 7/1/2012. So, if he's traded after 7/1, the new team is on the hook for 5 million over the next 3 years...or...a steal.

With that taken into consideration, what is his value for cash conscience teams such as Nashville, Phoenix, or the Islanders?

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:02 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Sekera only goes as part of a deal for a first line player. Nothing less. He was our best defenseman on a sweetheart contract (he's a steal at 2.75) regardless of whether people notice him outside of Buffalo.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

This guy is such a steal, and very few people talk about him. Look at how good he was at the worlds. For value? I would say based on his pay and skill, a good roster player would be fair. Like Sekera+ for Patrick Kane/Bobby Ryan etc...

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Keep him, unless he's a primary piece in a deal for Bobby Ryan.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip15 View Post
keep him, unless he's a primary piece in a deal for bobby ryan.
/end

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
It's hard to see them finding someone as effective for that sort of coin, so unless the deal involves a first-line talent in return, it's hard to imagine just shuffling the guy around and still effectively backfilling his role.

06-25-2012, 04:19 AM
MayDayMayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Exactly.

MayDayMayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:58 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I suspect that his value around the league is generally lower than what it is to Buffalo, at least in the eyes of fans, because I doubt he's properly on the radar.

Consensus best defenseman for Buffalo last season, sweetheart deal if he continues playing anywhere near that level, occasionally takes over offensively, likely still has some ceiling left.

It doesn't make much sense to move him any time soon unless it's in a package for an impact forward and that's largely because we have so much in the defensive pipeline. So it'd then require a very specific dance partner who's offering up such a player, values a rock-solid, bargain top 4 defenseman, and likes what other pieces we'd have to offer.

Last edited by Rob Paxon: 06-25-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:31 AM
HiddenInLight

Id say tell all this to fans of a certain teams that look down on pllayers because they are too lazy to even see if they are any good. =/

That being said I could see him going as a major peice in a deal for a guy like ryan. He's the kind of guy every GM loves to have on a roster.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:21 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
He wouldnt be.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:27 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
He wouldnt be.
Exactly why not? Top 4 all situation dman who will be only owed 5 million dollars over the next three years assuming he is dealt after Sunday. That doesn't fit any of the Ducks' needs

Old
06-25-2012, 08:32 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Exactly why not? Top 4 all situation dman who will be only owed 5 million dollars over the next three years assuming he is dealt after Sunday. That doesn't fit any of the Ducks' needs
Exactly the type of guy i want on the Ducks. But top 4 shutdown guys should not be a priority over a guy who has scored atleast 30 goals every year in the NHL.

The asking price in December from Toronto was Kessel+Grabo. Sorry if I expect alot. i doubt BM trades him. He is signe another 3 years and no reason to move him unless crazy overpayment or we somehow sign Parise.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:42 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Exactly the type of guy i want on the Ducks. But top 4 shutdown guys should not be a priority over a guy who has scored atleast 30 goals every year in the NHL.

The asking price in December from Toronto was Kessel+Grabo. Sorry if I expect alot. i doubt BM trades him. He is signe another 3 years and no reason to move him unless crazy overpayment or we somehow sign Parise.
Sekera can also play as PMD when asked as well. He also has experience playing winger in the NHL. He is the definition of all situations.

Ryan said he wants out. But that's not the topic on hand.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:

I don't understand why Anaheim was ever shopping him in the first place; sure they were topheavy but the solution, imo, wasn't to break that top line off. I imagine his recent remarks made out of frustration can be reconciled and everyone there can move forward, but if not and they are compelled to move him then I doubt he gets Kessel+Grabo.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Sekera can also play as PMD when asked as well. He also has experience playing winger in the NHL. He is the definition of all situations.

Ryan said he wants out. But that's not the topic on hand.
Please tell me where he says "I want to be traded"

He said "I am sick of feeling liek i am going to be traded so if you are going to trade me then trade me. If not the **** and let me do my job"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I don't understand why Anaheim was ever shopping him in the first place; sure they were topheavy but the solution, imo, wasn't to break that top line off. I imagine his recent remarks made out of frustration can be reconciled and everyone there can move forward, but if not and they are compelled to move him then I doubt he gets Kessel+Grabo.
....Why can people not understand this. He was not being shopped. People were asking about Bobby and Bob was listening. Any good Gm would do this.

I bet you guys dont want Myers to be "shopped' but if an offer like this came along would you be pissed your GM didnt listen:

Fowler+Etem+2012 6th overall+ 2013 1st

??

Old
06-25-2012, 09:18 AM
heartsabres*

50 percent of the fans in the NHL have never heard of him, the other 45 percent dont care about him the other 4 percent are sabres fans and 1 percent care about him that are not sabres fans but undervalue him. Hope that makes sense

I proposed this question in the sabres forum and as suspected his value is very low, no one but sabres fans and a few others care about him and really I think the type of player Sekera could get you is a Drew Stafford type player. Maybe next year his value goes up.

Drew Stafford
Sekera
Adam

For
Bobby Ryan
2nd round pick

That is very fair

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:25 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:

He said "I am sick of feeling liek i am going to be traded so if you are going to trade me then trade me. If not the **** and let me do my job"

....Why can people not understand this. He was not being shopped. People were asking about Bobby and Bob was listening. Any good Gm would do this.

I bet you guys dont want Myers to be "shopped' but if an offer like this came along would you be pissed your GM didnt listen:

??
He said that the team has never made him feel like they want him around and he wishes they would just trade him already because he is sick of feeling like if the team doesn't perform he's the first one out the door. If you don't like that he said that blame your GM because frankly an idiot could have handled Bobby Ryan better. But again this thread isn't about whether or not Ryan is on the market it is about the trade value of Andrej Sekera.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:26 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
50 percent of the fans in the NHL have never heard of him, the other 45 percent dont care about him the other 4 percent are sabres fans and 1 percent care about him that are not sabres fans but undervalue him. Hope that makes sense

I proposed this question in the sabres forum and as suspected his value is very low, no one but sabres fans and a few others care about him and really I think the type of player Sekera could get you is a Drew Stafford type player. Maybe next year his value goes up.

Drew Stafford
Sekera
Adam

For
Bobby Ryan
2nd round pick

That is very fair

That is fair in player value, but not fair in contract costs.
Anaheim is not looking to take on additional salary in a Ryan move, Sekera works and Adam would be ok (if indeed they view him as value) but Stafford would most likely be a non-starter for them.

static80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:28 AM
static80

Quote:

??
I'll take Bob McKenzie's insight on the Ryan situation over yours, sorry.
Bob McK stated back in Jan. that Ryan appears to be available from the Ducks.
And there were numerous rumblings of Buffalo being very interested.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:31 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
That is fair in player value, but not fair in contract costs.
Anaheim is not looking to take on additional salary in a Ryan move, Sekera works and Adam would be ok (if indeed they view him as value) but Stafford would most likely be a non-starter for them.
i'm not a Buffalo fan or a Ducks fan but would any of these work with the teams?

TO BUF:
Bobby Ryan
2nd Round Pick 2013

TO ANA:
1st Round 2013
Luke Adam
Andrej Sekera

OR:

TO BUF:
Bobby Ryan

TO ANA:
Luke Adam
Andrej Sekera
2nd/3rd Round Pick 2013 (maybe conditional depending on Ryan's performance in Buffalo)

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
I'll take Bob McKenzie's insight on the Ryan situation over yours, sorry.
Bob McK stated back in Jan. that Ryan appears to be available from the Ducks.
And there were numerous rumblings of Buffalo being very interested.
Never said he wasnt available. There is a difference between available and being shopped.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:35 AM
static80

Quote:
Never said he wasnt available. There is a difference between available and being shopped.
This is true, my apologies, let me rephrase then.
Since Bobby Mac was suggesting he is available, I can't see Bobby Ryan making that call as he is a player, usually when Bob Mac reports something like that, it comes from the teams management dept.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:37 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
How about the teams who like to hover around the cap floor. Does the paper ~1 million cap hit for 3 years retain any value to them?

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:38 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by psupens View Post
i'm not a Buffalo fan or a Ducks fan but would any of these work with the teams?

TO BUF:
Bobby Ryan
2nd Round Pick 2013

TO ANA:
1st Round 2013
Luke Adam
Andrej Sekera

OR:

TO BUF:
Bobby Ryan

TO ANA:
Luke Adam
Andrej Sekera
2nd/3rd Round Pick 2013 (maybe conditional depending on Ryan's performance in Buffalo)
Not knowing specifically what Anaheim is looking for, I don't know if Luke Adam would be in the mix, possible though.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:40 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
How about the teams who like to hover around the cap floor. Does the paper ~1 million cap hit for 3 years retain any value to them?
CapGeek has Sekera's cap hit at 2.75 mil, were you referring to Sekera?