HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tim Thomas Has Waived His NTC

Old
06-22-2012, 06:23 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Thomas is doing the Bruins a favor by waiving early, so they might possibly be able to get anything in return, such as a draft pick to use tonight or tomorrow. That's all. I don't know if I see him traded this weekend. Who knows. It's certainly a weird situation.

Although he seems to like the attention, I don't see any reason why Bruins fans should be mad at the guy. Everything he's done for the franchise should make up for what his decision is now. I know it's not cool to leave them hanging and bailing out but I couldn't hate a guy who brought me the Stanley Cup and two Vezinas.
I think all that really upsets Bruins fans about all of this is simply that we expected him to be traded for a decent return that could help up now or in the future. Now we're looking at pretty much nothing.

dredeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:26 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Thomas is doing the Bruins a favor by waiving early, so they might possibly be able to get anything in return, such as a draft pick to use tonight or tomorrow. That's all. I don't know if I see him traded this weekend. Who knows. It's certainly a weird situation.

Although he seems to like the attention, I don't see any reason why Bruins fans should be mad at the guy. Everything he's done for the franchise should make up for what his decision is now. I know it's not cool to leave them hanging and bailing out but I couldn't hate a guy who brought me the Stanley Cup and two Vezinas.
Think about it this way...he wasted time trying to set up a conference in which he stated he wasn't going to play the 2012-2013 season because he wanted to focus on family (seems rather tongue-in-cheek).

And then he decides to waive his NTC? Seems rather asinine because teams already know he won't be playing...so that's definitely puts him at 0 value from a trade standpoint.

So really, he's not doing them any favours...he's forcing them to eat the 5 million he's owed.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:31 PM
HOLDITHERE

Lol at HFBoards. 1 year ago today, EVERY single thread on this forum was about Tim Thomas. Every thread. In Columbus' board, History of Hockey, Video Games, Lounge, Prospects, every board, every thread.

And now, Bruins Fans hate him.

HOLDITHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:34 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLDITHERE View Post
Lol at HFBoards. 1 year ago today, EVERY single thread on this forum was about Tim Thomas. Every thread. In Columbus' board, History of Hockey, Video Games, Lounge, Prospects, every board, every thread.

Thomas did a good job at pissing on his team this season. Sure it will be largely forgotten after a few years and his contributions to the B's will be on the forefront again, but damn he dun goof'd

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
I stand somewhat corrected.

Either way Luongo is still the best goalie available. At least he'll be playing next year.
Why even compare Luongo to Thomas? Thomas is just a cap hit right now teams can acquire for no cost. Luongo is an expensive goalie signed long term who will also require giving up assets, but you actually get a player to build around (hopefully). The two could not be in a more different situation.

Ten Thousand Hours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:

I swear to God it's the Obama incident.. lol

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Because Thomas doesn't really want to take a year off. He just didn't want to play second fiddle to Rask PLUS his locker room popularity is at an all time low.

I see him in Toronto this coming season.
I think the threat to take the year off was just that, a threat. I could see him in Toronto - they two teams have shown a willingness to trade with each other and, providing the cost wasn't high, I think he could be the perfect goalie for the Leafs. He would definitely get them into the playoffs and would be a perfect mentor for Reimer and Scrivens.

Depending on the cost, I could be very happy if the Leafs got him.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:

Yeah.... no we don't.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

Also, I can't stand the Bruins fans hating Tim Thomas right now. But irrational Tim Thomas hate is nothing new.

Ten Thousand Hours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:42 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA Fan View Post
lol @ those who don't understand his political stance. good luck with your restricted future and new laws.
If he was on my team I wouldn't give a rat's ass about his politics so long as he stopped pucks.

Old
06-22-2012, 06:45 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post

Either way Luongo is still the best goalie available.
No he isn't. Thomas is a better goalie than Luongo.

Quote:
At least he'll be playing next year.
I suspect it was just a threat. If he was to go to a team that needed a goalie, like the Leafs, I strongly suspect they would ask for, and be granted, permission to talk to him before making the deal in order to ensure that he was actually going to play next year.

Either that or he goes to some team needing to reach the cap floor.

Old
06-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I think all that really upsets Bruins fans about all of this is simply that we expected him to be traded for a decent return that could help up now or in the future. Now we're looking at pretty much nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Think about it this way...he wasted time trying to set up a conference in which he stated he wasn't going to play the 2012-2013 season because he wanted to focus on family (seems rather tongue-in-cheek).

And then he decides to waive his NTC? Seems rather asinine because teams already know he won't be playing...so that's definitely puts him at 0 value from a trade standpoint.

So really, he's not doing them any favours...he's forcing them to eat the 5 million he's owed.
I do understand that not getting assets for a guy that could have landed some sort of alright return isn't settling. However, I see it this way: the Bruins can either be thankful to be a year removed of a Stanley Cup or can dwell over parting with a 38 year old Thomas for nothing and move forward with the team they have, even if he's not going to be a part of it anymore. I'd be thankful I got the Cup. It's not like the Bruins are in trouble for the present or future. They're a strong team with a slew of good prospects. I think they'll be fine, with or without Thomas. In a year from now he could retire anyway. It's not unreasonable to think he'd only play one more season if he even chose to this season and the Bruins wouldn't get anything for him when he retires anyway.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:03 PM
colchar

How many years are left on Thomas' contract?

Old
06-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Heisenberg77

Ya, it's silly to clump all Bruins fans together when saying silly **** like "now Bruins fans hate him". Puh 'friggin 'lease already. Unfair.

Heisenberg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
Yeah.... no we don't.
A good number do.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:32 PM
rahjmahogany*

I really hope no team is interested in trading for Thomas. Why would anybody want him if his old azz wants to take a year off to get OUT of shape? I hate the bruins!

rahjmahogany* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:57 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
Give him a 1 year deal. If he wants to play next year, give him another one year deal. Etc, etc. It's not rocket science.
What makes you think he'd sign a one year deal? As the best goalie in the world, he had the upper hand in negotiations. If the Bruins refused, someone else would have accepted his terms.

Use your head.

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:52 PM
ProstheticConscience
Yes or no, Lester?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
No he isn't. Thomas is a better goalie than Luongo.
Luongo will actually be playing NHL hockey next season, not sitting on his couch plotting to install a gun rack in his fridge in case Obama tries to bring socialized medicine to his vegetable crisper. Therefore, Luongo is the better goaltender.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:56 PM
ronnyweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Luongo will actually be playing NHL hockey next season, not sitting on his couch plotting to install a gun rack in his fridge in case Obama tries to bring socialized medicine to his vegetable crisper. Therefore, Luongo is the better goaltender.
Once he leaves Vancouver he will be somewhere between hodgson and Matt Cooke on the top players in the NHL list

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:01 AM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

What exactly happened to Thomas and the Bruins this year? The relationship between the organization and him seemed great only a year ago.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:09 AM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
Luminaire

This really makes you think how much things can change in one year.

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:23 AM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
What a load of crap. His politics have nothing to do with his ability to play goal. As for whether he plays next year...I have been convinced since he first mentioned taking a year off that he was bluffing so I won't buy that he will take a year off until he actually does.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:26 AM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
What exactly happened to Thomas and the Bruins this year? The relationship between the organization and him seemed great only a year ago.
He didn't want to go to the White House with the team because he doesn't like Obama and the team were not at all happy about that. I am sure they spoke to him about it and that things deteriorated from there.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:28 AM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
He didn't want to go to the White House with the team because he doesn't like Obama and the team were not at all happy about that. I am sure they spoke to him about it and that things deteriorated from there.
Well yeah, we all heard about that. That's all it took?

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Puckgenius*

Lockerroom issues with TT? Thats ridiculous. This guy is like a teddy bear.

Why would he be worried about rask? tT was still going to be the starter anyways.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote