HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XIV - A Lu for a Steal (Mod Warning In OP)

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 03:16 PM
rune74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McCracken View Post
Yeah, he's done a great job with the core the Nonis/Burke regime left him despite the fact he almost lost the Sedins with that ridiculous Sundin offer.
He never almost lost the Sedin's. Seriously, get your facts straight. I cannot wait for this to be over.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
All Tallon said is that he has talked to the Vancouver Canucks about goaltending. He could have been talking about acquiring Cory Schneider... and that would align with what the beat writer said about the Panthers not speaking to Vancouver about Roberto Luongo.
That makes no sense at all. It would take a huge package to land schneider and Tallon is committed to building through the draft. Why part with all those assets when Markstrom will be ready soon and they can just wait and see how he does? Goaltending is not a position of need. Luongo would be a good temporary solution until Markstrom is ready to take the reigns, Luongo want to go back to Florida. Plus, if it were Schneider Tallon was talking to gillis about, I'd have to think there would be at least one top prospect coming back, that would be obvious. It would make no sense for Tallon to be stubborn about trading a top prospect for Schneider.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Tim McCracken
Good loser = LOSER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
He never almost lost the Sedin's. Seriously, get your facts straight. I cannot wait for this to be over.
If Sundin takes him up on that 2 year $10 mil per offer there's no way they can afford resigning the Sedins.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/VAN?year=2009
http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/VAN?year=2010

Old
06-23-2012, 03:25 PM
rune74

Quote:
If Sundin takes him up on that 2 year $10 mil per offer there's no way they can afford resigning the Sedins.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/VAN?year=2009
http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/VAN?year=2010
They were never close trust me....we were close when your GM tried to tamper with them...but not really.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Tim McCracken
Good loser = LOSER!

Quote:
They were never close trust me....we were close when your GM tried to tamper with them...but not really.
Do some homework. I've been a Canucks fan since they entered the league and yes, they were very close. If Sundin signs for $10 mil a season they don't have the cap space. Can you even do the math based on the links?

Old
06-23-2012, 03:34 PM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
You mean when Ron Wilson suggested on the radio we may try to sign them if they make it to FA? That tampering charge was a joke.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:35 PM
rune74

Quote:
Do some homework. I've been a Canucks fan since they entered the league and yes, they were very close. If Sundin signs for $10 mil a season they don't have the cap space. Can you even do the math based on the links?
Link a news sourse that stated this a possibility? He would have moved other assets to make it work. Sundin signed a 1 year instead of 2. Many of the players said they learned a lot off him in his time here.

Needless to say your weird hate of Gillis has nothing to do with all this.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:36 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
You mean when Ron Wilson suggested on the radio we may try to sign them if they make it to FA? That tampering charge was a joke.
Did you forget a little trip to sweeden? it wasn't just what ron said,

Old
06-23-2012, 03:36 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Tbh, the Sedins' re-signing and the Sundin offer were never linked in the local media. Basically, you're making ***** up. If he was signed maybe GMMG had a plan in place to move salary etc. Who knows.

What I do know is that your attempt to flame GMMG is based on straw-mans and really has nothing to do with this thread other than you trying to make Nonis/Burke sound like they made the Canucks.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:41 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
Tbh, the Sedins' re-signing and the Sundin offer were never linked in the local media. Basically, you're making ***** up. If he was signed maybe GMMG had a plan in place to move salary etc. Who knows.
.. Do the math .. That is a **** ton of cap to just move ...

Old
06-23-2012, 03:42 PM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
You mean when Burke went to sign Gustavsson? Ya what about it? Is every GM in the USA tampering right now since Parise happens to be there? That tampering charge was such a joke, and it just fuels a fire between the teams that has no need to even be there.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
All Tallon said is that he has talked to the Vancouver Canucks about goaltending. He could have been talking about acquiring Cory Schneider... and that would align with what the beat writer said about the Panthers not speaking to Vancouver about Roberto Luongo.
I'd imagine they'd ask in the same conversation...

Talon: "Is Schne- "
Gillis: "No."
Talon: "Oh, well what do you want for Luongo?"

a 2 sentence call about both goalies.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:44 PM
rune74

Quote:
You mean when Burke went to sign Gustavsson? Ya what about it? Is every GM in the USA tampering right now since Parise happens to be there? That tampering charge was such a joke, and it just fuels a fire between the teams that has no need to even be there.
Strange, the league agreed that it was tampering....but it's obviously false.

Oh well it's off topic so I'll let it go.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:45 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEverybody View Post
.. Do the math .. That is a **** ton of cap to just move ...
Do the math? How about you introduce yourself to the concept of logic. IT DOES NOT FOLLOW that the signing of Sundin meant the departure of the twins. That is a massive assumption.

Is your whole fanbase like this? Honestly...

Old
06-23-2012, 03:46 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Its the very definition of tampering actually......

Old
06-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Tim McCracken
Good loser = LOSER!

Quote:
Link a news sourse that stated this a possibility? He would have moved other assets to make it work. Sundin signed a 1 year instead of 2. Many of the players said they learned a lot off him in his time here.

Needless to say your weird hate of Gillis has nothing to do with all this.
News source that states what was a possibility? The Sundin offer? That's ridiculously well documented. Not being able to afford the Sedins? DO THE MATH! He actually signed a partial year, prorated contract. Sure some players said they learned a lot from him just as others previously said about Messier and his time here but that's irrelevant. They would have had to move significant assets and being a Canucks fan, I'm sure you remember Gillis' initial presser when he said "I don't know if they [the Sedins] are players the team will be built around moving forward". He then offered Sundin that ridiculous contract.

And it's not a weird hate for Gillis, I just believe Gillis and Burke are by far the two most overrated GMs in the NHL and you are only substantiating my view..

Old
06-23-2012, 03:48 PM
CommonMeans*

Here's a typical argument posed in this thread:

GMMG is a bad general manager. Why you ask? Because if he signed Sundin he wouldn't have re-signed the Sedins. Why wouldn't he have re-signed the Sedins? 'Cause he's a bad general manager.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:48 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
What Ron said is tampering. Not sure whats so hard to understand about that.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:50 PM
John Bender*

Quote:

GMMG is a bad general manager. Why you ask? Because if he signed Sundin he wouldn't have re-signed the Sedins. Why wouldn't he have re-signed the Sedins? 'Cause he's a bad general manager.
MG has been ok as GM of the Canucks. He has taken some chances, some have worked out, others have not - but at least he takes chances rather than going for low potential scrubs like Nonis did.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:51 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheGiant View Post
MG has been ok as GM of the Canucks. He has taken some chances, some have worked out, others have not - but at least he takes chances rather than going for low potential scrubs like Nonis did.
Well I guess one could say Nonis is still doing that. I don't miss him at all.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Tim McCracken
Good loser = LOSER!

Quote:

What I do know is that your attempt to flame GMMG is based on straw-mans and really has nothing to do with this thread other than you trying to make Nonis/Burke sound like they made the Canucks.
No, Gillis came out swinging his dick and it almost cost them their franchise players. See my earlier post.

Gillis inherited the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Raymond, Hansen, Salo, Edler, Bieksa, Luongo, and Schneider from the Nonis/Burke regime. Other than Hamhuis, who clearly wanted to play for the Canucks regardless of who was running the team, what significant component has he added?

But you are correct, it doesn't have much to do with this thread other than he's losing this particular poker game.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Tim McCracken
Good loser = LOSER!

Quote:

I said overrated not bad. Scott Howson is bad.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:57 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
No, Gillis came out swinging his dick and it almost cost them their franchise players. See my earlier post.

Gillis inherited the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Raymond, Hansen, Salo, Edler, Bieksa, Luongo, and Schneider from the Nonis/Burke regime. Other than Hamhuis, who clearly wanted to play for the Canucks regardless of who was running the team, what significant component has he added?

But you are correct, it doesn't have much to do with this thread other than he's losing this particular poker game.
Somehow you forget BB's massive overpayment for Kessel, yet drag up the Sundin offer?

Hypocritical to say the least. Every GM in the league has a past which could be used to infer that they are going to lose "the poker game".

Keep reaching though, it's fun.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:01 PM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
Strange, the league agreed that it was tampering....but it's obviously false.

Oh well it's off topic so I'll let it go.
The league agreed the Wilson comment was tampering, not the trip to Sweden.

I agree about it being off topic so I will not discuss it after this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheGiant View Post
Its the very definition of tampering actually......
I understand that and that is why Wilson was fined, but the tampering was never over that trip to Sweden.

But as far as tampering goes it wasn't that big a deal, in the sense we weren't trying to talk about contract details etc. It was simply a slip up of our coach when talking about our plans in FA on the radio, so in public. An honest mistake, and he was fined accordingly. Hard to argue that is was a sneaky or dirty play by the Leafs, which the post that brought up this topic insinuated.

Either way I think it has helped form an unneeded rivalry between the two teams. Aside from the beating the Canucks hand the Leafs every year it is hard to see how there could even be a rivalry if it wasn't for such trivial things. As a result it could mean Gillis expects a larger return for Luongo if he goes to the Leafs, which to me is pretty baseless.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
You forgot "actually take a look at other team's needs and whether a Luongo and his contract are even a fit". Tallon wouldn't even consider it unless it was a gift. Do think he wants to have Luongo's contract on the bench in what could be a couple years? They need a goalie to bridge a bit of time and not an albatross unless it's for next to nothing. Not a fit. San Jose? Are you sure all of Gillis' conversations are about Luongo? Didn't he say he spoke to other teams about their pick when interviewed after selecting Gaunce? Unless Canucks take a Havlat type dump it's not a fit either anyway.
No, I haven't. I've actually heard, several times, that Florida is interested and that Tallon contacted Vancouver. So you can sit there and pretend to understand the Panthers organization, and their needs, but it's all just your imagination. Not sure why Leafs fans seem to think they have some sort of authority to speak on behalf of the Panthers - but you don't.

Several sources have reported Tallon is interested. That's a fact.

Quote:
The Leafs are the only legitimate, logical choice and the window on decent returns is closing fast. If Gillis had his act together he would have had Henning waltz over to Burkie first thing this morning and offered the rest of the Canucks picks today just to up the ante. It would have been better than what Gillis did with them.
Says you. Others, such as Bob McKenzie, Pierre LeBrun and Darren Dreger say it's Toronto, Florida and possibly others.

I'll trust guys like Bob McKenzie over a random poster on HF Boards, thanks.

Closed Thread