HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Draft Day Thread Part 2: YAKUPOV!

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Sad thing when Craig Button is the voice of reason in the media about the draft, even if he thinks the Oilers will pick Murray..

I simply don't see the Oilers passing on the best player in the draft. With fan support for Yakupov being what it is, the relatively low upside(for a top 3 pick) for Ryan Murray, along with the verbal from Oilers management, suggestions otherwise point towards a whole lot of sensationalism and guessing.

I've said it before too - if the Oilers actually selected Murray based on weak arguments like "organizational need", it would be a colossal disaster for the team for the next decade(minimum). Short of Murray panning out as a top 5 star defenseman in the league or Yakupov never playing an NHL game(extremely unlikely), there would be literally nothing he could do that would ever justify his selection in most fan's eyes. Add in the high possibility that Murray might not even be a top 5 defenseman from this draft? You could start writing the "draft busts" and "what the hell were the oilers thinking?" article templates that could be used annually for every draft for the next 20 years.

To be clear - I think Murray will be a decent player at the NHL level, if the Oilers were picking lower than first it would be fine, but first overall? Too much negative will come with that selection, an absolute drama bomb waiting to happen. The type of pick that solidifies the reputation of Edmonton as an NHL city that puts unbearable pressure on it's players.
When I'd Button say that. I've heard him preach Yaks all all along.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

If they don't take Yakupov or the trade down isn't a good one, I'm going to follow Mr. Rogers' advice:

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
06-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Paralyzer008

Craig Simpson=the voice of reason.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
If the Oilers are trading down, they better get something significant for their troubles.

Old
Bodmanza
pipsqueaks united

What could we realistically even expect as a return for the #1?

Old
Psychoil

Okay seriously this is getting ridiculous. every media outlet is saying murray. Iunno if you guys feel this way, but i'd be way happier picking morgan rielly or griffin reinhart over ryan murray!!!!! Every single source has said Murray won't be a number 1 d but a safe number 2/3/4. That is absolute BS!!!!! HOW CAN YOU EVEN CONSIDER TAKING THIS GUY WHEN EVERYONE THINKS HES GONNA BE A SUPPORT PLAYER AT BEST???!!!!

Look, i'd be able to live with griffin/reilly because they seem to have a higher ceiling. and if we wanna get better in the future, id bet on those guys over murray

Old
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
So potentially the Oilers might pick an offensively challenged dman at #1 over all....wow.

Old
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post

my prediction for this board leading up to the pick
Hey now, great tune, but this isn't Vancity.

Old
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
If they don't take Yakupov or the trade down isn't a good one, I'm going to follow Mr. Rogers' advice:

What a great show.

Rip Mr Rogers

Old
06-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Seriously, if management was contemplating taking a defenceman who will be a cornerstone "down the road" then they'd be better served in taking Morgan Reilly. That kid is going to be a beast.... in five years.
I'm with you on this one. He fills a puck moving void we desperately need on the back end. I feel like he will be this years dark horse and who I was hoping we would move up to select like we did with Klefbom. That's only if he does get overlooked because of his injury and a lack of scouting viewings and an uncertain incomplete analysis.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Paralyzer008

Even if Columbus had 1st overall, meaning Edmonton would have had 2nd overall, I still would take Yakupov if he fell, but if I had to decide between the rest, I'd take Galchenyuk and Reinhart before I would take Murray.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Trading down several times to get Reinhart and a bunch of other goodies is a better bet than taking Murray at any spot, IMO.

Reinhart is going to be a beauty.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermullet View Post
Trading down several times to get Reinhart and a bunch of other goodies is a better bet than taking Murray at any spot, IMO.

Reinhart is going to be a beauty.
If we could add to get Ryan and their pick, that'd be sweet.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:16 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
We take Murray we get jones or McKinnon. **** it who cares anymore.

I just wont watch the team next year
"Would someone tell me how this happened? We were the ****ing vanguard of shaving in this country. The Gillette Mach3 was the razor to own. Then the other guy came out with a three-blade razor. Were we scared? Hell, no. Because we hit back with a little thing called the Mach3Turbo. That's three blades and an aloe strip. For moisture. But you know what happened next? Shut up, I'm telling you what happened—the ******** went to four blades. Now we're standing around with our cocks in our hands, selling three blades and a strip. Moisture or no, suddenly we're the chumps. Well, **** it. We're going to five blades.

Sure, we could go to four blades next, like the competition. That seems like the logical thing to do. After all, three worked out pretty well, and four is the next number after three. So let's play it safe. Let's make a thicker aloe strip and call it the Mach3SuperTurbo. Why innovate when we can follow? Oh, I know why: Because we're a business, that's why!

You think it's crazy? It is crazy. But I don't give a ****. From now on, we're the ones who have the edge in the multi-blade game. Are they the best a man can get? ****, no. Gillette is the best a man can get.

What part of this don't you understand? If two blades is good, and three blades is better, obviously five blades would make us the best ****ing razor that ever existed. Comprende? We didn't claw our way to the top of the razor game by clinging to the two-blade industry standard. We got here by taking chances. Well, five blades is the biggest chance of all.

Here's the report from Engineering. Someone put it in the bathroom: I want to wipe my ass with it. They don't tell me what to invent—I tell them. And I'm telling them to stick two more blades in there. I don't care how. Make the blades so thin they're invisible. Put some on the handle. I don't care if they have to cram the fifth blade in perpendicular to the other four, just do it!

You're taking the "safety" part of "safety razor" too literally, grandma. Cut the strings and soar. Let's hit it. Let's roll. This is our chance to make razor history. Let's dream big. All you have to do is say that five blades can happen, and it will happen. If you aren't on board, then **** you. And if you're on the board, then **** you and your father. Hey, if I'm the only one who'll take risks, I'm sure as hell happy to hog all the glory when the five-blade razor becomes the shaving tool for the U.S. of "this is how we shave now" A.

People said we couldn't go to three. It'll cost a fortune to manufacture, they said. Well, we did it. Now some egghead in a lab is screaming "Five's crazy?" Well, perhaps he'd be more comfortable in the labs at Norelco, working on ****ing electrics. Rotary blades, my white ass!

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we should just ride in Bic's wake and make pens. Ha! Not on your ****ing life! The day I shadow a penny-ante outfit like Bic is the day I leave the razor game for good, and that won't happen until the day I die!

The market? Listen, we make the market. All we have to do is put her out there with a little jingle. It's as easy as, "Hey, shaving with anything less than five blades is like scraping your beard off with a dull hatchet." Or "You'll be so smooth, I could snort lines off of your chin." Try "Your neck is going to be so friggin' soft, someone's gonna walk up and tie a ******* Cub Scout kerchief under it."

I know what you're thinking now: What'll people say? Mew mew mew. Oh, no, what will people say?! Grow the **** up. When you're on top, people talk. That's the price you pay for being on top. Which Gillette is, always has been, and forever shall be, Amen, five blades, sweet Jesus in heaven.

Stop. I just had a stroke of genius. Are you ready? Open your mouth, baby birds, cause Mama's about to drop you one sweet, fat nightcrawler. Here she comes: Put another aloe strip on that ****er, too. That's right. Five blades, two strips, and make the second one lather. You heard me—the second strip lathers. It's a whole new way to think about shaving. Don't question it. Don't say a word. Just key the music, and call the chorus girls, because we're on the edge—the razor's edge—and I feel like dancing"
onion

Old
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor

David Staples ‏@dstaples

Fact #5. Before Yakupov hurt knee, he was outscoring Stamkos, Tavares, Hall &Seguin in their draft years. #Oilers http://*******/PI47un

Old
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Now being reported by SEVERAL sources on twitter that Oilers looking to move down.
Ah so the retarded notion of taking murray 1st will make the retarded notion of trading down and not taking yak seem better

good job oilers that's some trickery right there

Old
06-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Asher

I don't buy the trade down rumor. It's been widely reported that the Oilers want something "significant" and that nobody's willing to pony up to their steep price.

Old
c4fn8d

Media trying to create drama. We are taking Yakupov. If we were taking Murray, there is no way Stauffer would be allowed to criticize the possible pick as much as he is today.

Old
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
As Oiler fans, how many more punches to the face and kicks to the groin will we take before we say enough is enough.

Old
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor

It's like you suffer all year and then get rewarded for it with a lottery win and then get kicked int he junk

Old
06-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
When I'd Button say that. I've heard him preach Yaks all all along.
Just now on Oiler's now. He would take yakupov, but in his gut he thinks it's Murray.

Honestly, the media everywhere is throwing down arguments that Yakupov is the better pick, the smart pick, the logical pick... then declare they think Oilers are going to go against all logic and draft Murray like their draft strategy is based on contrarianism.

It's getting absurd.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:19 PM
spot

Don't fall into this trap guys. It's called 11th hour negotiating. Tambo is praying to God the Ducks or another team feel like they have a chance at Yakupov.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:20 PM
ChokeOnOil
i hate my team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
As Oiler fans, how many more punches to the face and kicks to the groin will we take before we say enough is enough.
We get **** on ALL YEAR, ALL DAMN YEAR. To get a draft pick. Now, we're looking to basically waste it by going against the guy EVERY scout is suggesting we pick.

Last edited by s7ark: 06-22-2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Removed picture spam
Old
PepsiFiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Just now on Oiler's now. He would take yakupov, but in his gut he thinks it's Murray.

Honestly, the media everywhere is throwing down arguments that Yakupov is the better pick, the smart pick, the logical pick... then declare they think Oilers are going to go against all logic and draft Murray like their draft strategy is based on contrarianism.

It's getting absurd.
They are just getting people talking... I mean seriously, who are all these sources that all year long had no inside info on the Oilers, all of a sudden know for fact that Murray is the guy they are taking 1st overall.

Old
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post

possibly the only good thing coming out of the Pittsburgh area for us today

Closed Thread