HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What happens first?

View Poll Results: What comes first?
Sabres make a draft selection 19 38.78%
Sabres make a trade 30 61.22%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-14-2012, 03:00 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

vCash: 500
What happens first?

1 - Sabres make a selection in the draft

2 - Sabres make a trade

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Sabresfansince1980

I think Regier will want to make a deal to move up, but won't be able to. There will be so much activity among GMs this draft that I think the price to move up will get jacked up above what Regier is typically willing to pay. I would hope that picks and prospects other than McNabb or Foligno would be enough to get what Buffalo needs (vet center or Galchenyuk), but I have a feeling it won't be.

They'll probably get outbid and draft the best player that falls to #12, then make a trade at some point after that for a veteran checking line center - nothing overly dramatic though.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I think they make a deal before the first round kicks off -- even if it is for a draft pick.

06-14-2012, 04:24 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

I believe they make a trade, no idea what type of trade. But something needs to be done to this team so what happened last year does not happen again this year.

McTankel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:37 PM
The Living Beast

I think they probably have a trade they've already agreed to now.

The Living Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:48 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I think Regier will want to make a deal to move up, but won't be able to. There will be so much activity among GMs this draft that I think the price to move up will get jacked up above what Regier is typically willing to pay. I would hope that picks and prospects other than McNabb or Foligno would be enough to get what Buffalo needs (vet center or Galchenyuk), but I have a feeling it won't be.

They'll probably get outbid and draft the best player that falls to #12, then make a trade at some point after that for a veteran checking line center - nothing overly dramatic though.
I couldn't disagree, respectfully of course, more.
Regier is under the gun to perform, I believe were in for a major deal before the 12th selection, and I don't believe it's to move up so they can draft a youngin' now. I believe they'll target an early draft pick then trade out to get roster ready forward(s) in order to continue to remake the forward ranks, particularly finishers.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
I think Regier will want to make a deal to move up, but won't be able to. There will be so much activity among GMs this draft that I think the price to move up will get jacked up above what Regier is typically willing to pay.

They'll probably get outbid and draft the best player that falls to #12, then make a trade at some point after that
This is where I'm at. I think we're going to try like crazy to move up, but ultimately fall short, go BPA at 12 and then trade #21 and something for some sort of center.

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Regier is under the gun to perform, I believe were in for a major deal before the 12th selection, and I don't believe it's to move up so they can draft a youngin' now. I believe they'll target an early draft pick then trade out to get roster ready forward(s) in order to continue to remake the forward ranks, particularly finishers.
While I agree DR is under the gun, I also don't think he's going to make a deal just because he thinks he has to. He's going to be his typical patient self and then pull a Darth Regier move on someone.

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 04:59 PM
tsujimoto74

Trade. I don't think we'll end up picking twice in the first round.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

move up, trade the other first for a 2nd this and a 1st next year, trade their 3rd 2nd round pick for 2 3rds and 1 4th which they flip for a 4th next season, a 5th + 6th this year. move out the 2 5th for another 4th rounder next season.

:thumbsup:

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:05 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
move up, trade the other first for a 2nd this and a 1st next year, trade their 3rd 2nd round pick for 2 3rds and 1 4th which they flip for a 4th next season, a 5th + 6th this year. move out the 2 5th for another 4th rounder next season.

:thumbsup:
The person I quote obviously cheats at EHM.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Sabretip

This is kind of like the 'chicken or the egg' question - but I think the Sabres only make a draft choice first if they fail to make a trade using that pick.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 08:20 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Trade. I don't think we'll end up picking twice in the first round.
It happened in 2008:

# 12 - Myers
# 26 - Ennis

If Regier can't unload assets for good return in a trade, I could see the Sabres defaulting to taking both picks.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 12:40 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
It happened in 2008:

# 12 - Myers
# 26 - Ennis

If Regier can't unload assets for good return in a trade, I could see the Sabres defaulting to taking both picks.
That was a good draft for us in 08. I don't see it happening this year though. I think DR realizes the team needs help now at forward (not that we have many exciting prospects to wait for there anyway) and acquired the extra first specifically for that purpose, either to trade it on its own or in a package for a roster player.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:08 AM
Matty K

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
That was a good draft for us in 08. I don't see it happening this year though. I think DR realizes the team needs help now at forward (not that we have many exciting prospects to wait for there anyway) and acquired the extra first specifically for that purpose, either to trade it on its own or in a package for a roster player.
I agree outside of Armia the Cupboard is bare empty when it comes to Goal Scorers.

As much as we need Forwards now I wouldn't be shocked if Regier kept all of his Draft Selections and went BPA on all of them to replenish the Cupboards.

Matty K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 01:20 AM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Regier will work hard to go after the No. 2 pick, but when the price to compete for Galy becomes something like Ennis/Hodgson, Armia/Foligno, 12, he ultimately finds himself passing. They pick at 12 and go with the BPA, which will likely be a defenseman, which causes many to groan. He then flips the 21 pick for another early second and third. People say, WTH is this guy doing? While we sleep, Regier juggles all his seconds and works his magic. Everyone wakes up Saturday morning to a trade for a much-needed roster player, and says, "Well, I sure as heck didn't see that coming."

Last edited by Rhett4: 06-15-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:05 AM
HiddenInLight

Honestly I think Buffalo has WAY too much ammo NOT to make a deal. 4 picks in the top 50, plus a large overstock on defensemen. Darth Regier will make a move sometime within this next week, and us as sabres fans, as usual with DR will be caught with our pants around our ankles, and the other GM will be looking for his wallet just like the VAN GM probably was on deadline day, only to realize that DR managed to get that too.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:27 AM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Living Beast View Post
I think they probably have a trade they've already agreed to now.
This but I dont think it may be agreed upon or they could make the trade, I do believe they know what they want to do, have spoken to teams and know where they stand. I think if they make the 12th pick that would signify that there is no deal. I think Roy will be gone at the draft, trading Roy, draft picks and prospects should make this team better.

After what Black and Pegula said if they make all four picks in the first two rounds it would go against wanting to be Stanley Cup Champions now.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 07:33 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
This but I dont think it may be agreed upon or they could make the trade, I do believe they know what they want to do, have spoken to teams and know where they stand. I think if they make the 12th pick that would signify that there is no deal. I think Roy will be gone at the draft, trading Roy, draft picks and prospects should make this team better.

After what Black and Pegula said if they make all four picks in the first two rounds it would go against wanting to be Stanley Cup Champions now.
The removal of roy does NOT make this team better. Though the return we get for him MIGHT. As of right now without roy, our third line center is Ville Leino, then Cody McCormick. You can't tell me that either of those guys at center makes this team a playoff team.

Old
06-15-2012, 07:43 AM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
The removal of roy does NOT make this team better. Though the return we get for him MIGHT. As of right now without roy, our third line center is Ville Leino, then Cody McCormick. You can't tell me that either of those guys at center makes this team a playoff team.
Is that what I implied? Or is the return not assumed as we are not just giving these things away? In a single post in a thread I cannot make all of the trades, draft picks and UFA signings that Regier may make that is for him to decide. For you to assume these are the players I feel will be here to lead us come October would be ignorant of what Darcy and the Sabres are capable of.

Reading my post and to your response looks to me like you just want to argue, the assets we have will obviously yeild a return, why would you think anyone would just give Roy away, that is just nonsense.

Last edited by heartsabres*: 06-15-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old
06-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
We're not really disagreeing much. We both know what Regier wants to do and should do, but whether he actually can make that happen with a willing and reasonable trade partner, offering above other GMs, at the draft is pretty much a coin flip.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2012, 09:48 AM
static80

Quote:
We're not really disagreeing much. We both know what Regier wants to do and should do, but whether he actually can make that happen with a willing and reasonable trade partner, offering above other GMs, at the draft is pretty much a coin flip.
This is where I was thinking wise the last 2 years.
But this year, with all of the assets at his disposal to pull the trigger with, combined with Pegula's goal of Cup Competitiveness in 3 years or so, I can't see a deal for current roster talent not getting done.

My targets for this off season, if they can be had:

Trade at Draft for:

Bobby Ryan, RW'er - 2nd scoring line for Ennis and Foligno
This, to me, is a major upgrade over Stafford and it hits at the core of Buffalo's issue in the scoring line ranks, finishing! Buffalo needs finisher's for sure.

Ryan Clowe, LW'er/RW'er - 3rd scoring line winger
Can flip to either wing I've noticed. Size, Grit, Tough, everything Buffalo is looking for. Trade for him and get him resigned for 3 additional seasons. I would put Clowe on the wing of Hodgson.

Sign in free agency:

Jay McClement, C - 4th line center
Decent 4th line center addition.

I'd like Parise as well but he will command a ransom for sure. But, once again, he is a finisher, what Buffalo needs.

I'd move Gerbe for sure to make room on the roster, like the kid, but he's to small to bang his entire career. If Parise were actually being considered by the Sabres as an off season acquisition in FA, I'd also like to see Vanek moved.

Not the end all answer to Buffalo's hole's it needs filled, but the 3 players I listed would be a nice start, especially picking up Bobby Ryan at the draft and Clowe.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:17 AM
heartsabres*

Quote:
This is where I was thinking wise the last 2 years.
But this year, with all of the assets at his disposal to pull the trigger with, combined with Pegula's goal of Cup Competitiveness in 3 years or so, I can't see a deal for current roster talent not getting done.

My targets for this off season, if they can be had:

Trade at Draft for:

Bobby Ryan, RW'er - 2nd scoring line for Ennis and Foligno
This, to me, is a major upgrade over Stafford and it hits at the core of Buffalo's issue in the scoring line ranks, finishing! Buffalo needs finisher's for sure.

Ryan Clowe, LW'er/RW'er - 3rd scoring line winger
Can flip to either wing I've noticed. Size, Grit, Tough, everything Buffalo is looking for. Trade for him and get him resigned for 3 additional seasons. I would put Clowe on the wing of Hodgson.

Sign in free agency:

Jay McClement, C - 4th line center
Decent 4th line center addition.

I'd like Parise as well but he will command a ransom for sure. But, once again, he is a finisher, what Buffalo needs.

I'd move Gerbe for sure to make room on the roster, like the kid, but he's to small to bang his entire career. If Parise were actually being considered by the Sabres as an off season acquisition in FA, I'd also like to see Vanek moved.

Not the end all answer to Buffalo's hole's it needs filled, but the 3 players I listed would be a nice start, especially picking up Bobby Ryan at the draft and Clowe.
Babby Ryan is going nowhere and Clowe is going nowhere. Does that make Regier and the other 29 GMs failures?

Old
06-15-2012, 10:19 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Is that what I implied? Or is the return not assumed as we are not just giving these things away? In a single post in a thread I cannot make all of the trades, draft picks and UFA signings that Regier may make that is for him to decide. For you to assume these are the players I feel will be here to lead us come October would be ignorant of what Darcy and the Sabres are capable of.

Reading my post and to your response looks to me like you just want to argue, the assets we have will obviously yeild a return, why would you think anyone would just give Roy away, that is just nonsense.
The way your post is worded, it is reasonable to believe that you were implying that the removal of Roy in itself improoves the team. You said, trading roy makes the team better. If that's not how you meant for it to come across, don't say so. Its not like there isn't people around here who think the team would be better if we simply removed Roy from the roster. They call it addition by subtraction and it is a terrible idea, that makes no sense. Don't tell me I'm looking for an argument, when with the wording you used combined with some of the truely stupid ideas that is floating around here right now, the assumption on your post is extremely plausible. Also was it necisary to jump down my throat with such a nasty attitude when I made a reasonable conclusion on the meaning of your post based on the facts on hand?

Old
06-15-2012, 10:56 AM
static80

Quote:
Babby Ryan is going nowhere and Clowe is going nowhere. Does that make Regier and the other 29 GMs failures?
I don't believe it makes them failures, never stated such.
Merely expressed my opinion on who'd I'd like to see Buffalo somewhat realistically deal for, in my most humbled assessment.

I can't say Bobby Ryan or Ryan Clowe are going nowhere. Sorry, I'm not an insider in any NHL circle, merely a fan, so for me to make assumptions of what NHL GM's are or are not willing to do is out of my scope.
(now's a good time to check that sarcasm meter )