HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Thread III - Laughton all the way to the bank

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-07-2012, 07:03 PM
  #526
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,246
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Yeah, if the Penguins were gonna ship someone out it probably should've been Martin. Z is still a good player.

I remember arguing with them a few years ago that they had just over paid two defensemen in free agency and had built a decent-not-great defense in the main forum thread. They swore i was a jealous hater and that Paul Martin's stifled offense was going to come alive in Pittsburgh, and that Z was a top five defensive defenseman in the NHL. I want so badly to make an "I told you so" thread to them now.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline  
Old
07-07-2012, 07:13 PM
  #527
JVR21
Sexy Hexy
 
JVR21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 8,147
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Jagr for 4.5m?

So great.
That's fine value for jagr on a 1 year deal for Dallas. They also picked up Whitney and Roy.

JVR21 is offline  
Old
07-07-2012, 07:35 PM
  #528
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Yeah, if the Penguins were gonna ship someone out it probably should've been Martin. Z is still a good player.

I remember arguing with them a few years ago that they had just over paid two defensemen in free agency and had built a decent-not-great defense in the main forum thread. They swore i was a jealous hater and that Paul Martin's stifled offense was going to come alive in Pittsburgh, and that Z was a top five defensive defenseman in the NHL. I want so badly to make an "I told you so" thread to them now.
I remember how ecstatic Devils fans were when they got rid of him. Dude is overpaid and soft as charmin toilet paper.

Alchemy is offline  
Old
07-07-2012, 09:36 PM
  #529
lancer247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,245
vCash: 500
At this point it is not likely they can sign Doan (probably stay out West) or Semin (KHL or some ridiculous contract to stay in the NHL).

I am taking a shot at Muelller. Low risk, high reward as others have said. 1 year for $2MM?

If he pams out he would be a nice sniper on Giruox's line.

lancer247 is offline  
Old
07-07-2012, 10:03 PM
  #530
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
At this point it is not likely they can sign Doan (probably stay out West) or Semin (KHL or some ridiculous contract to stay in the NHL).

I am taking a shot at Muelller. Low risk, high reward as others have said. 1 year for $2MM?

If he pams out he would be a nice sniper on Giruox's line.


I still say we trade for ryan.

Krishna is offline  
Old
07-07-2012, 10:15 PM
  #531
Shady McCoy
Moderator
Eagles That Quack
 
Shady McCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 22,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
At this point it is not likely they can sign Doan (probably stay out West) or Semin (KHL or some ridiculous contract to stay in the NHL).

I am taking a shot at Muelller. Low risk, high reward as others have said. 1 year for $2MM?

If he pams out he would be a nice sniper on Giruox's line.

__________________

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Shady McCoy is offline  
Old
07-07-2012, 11:46 PM
  #532
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,937
vCash: 500
I'd love mueller.

orange is better is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 10:40 AM
  #533
lancer247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post


I still say we trade for ryan.
I am such an idiot. I meant Spams out. You know a jellied canned ham.

lancer247 is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 10:46 AM
  #534
lancer247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I'd love mueller.
At the right price you could get another 20 goal scorer for Giroux's or worst case is you get another Patrik Stepan ie a guy that just can't stay healthy. In that case you move Voracek or Briere up to the 1st line.

Hartnell - Giroux - Mueller
Schenn - Briere - Simmonds
Read - Coots - Voracek
Sestito/Rusty - Talbot - Rusty/Wellwood

lancer247 is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 12:57 PM
  #535
Appleyard
HFB Partner
 
Appleyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manc/Shef/Utrecht
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 9,815
vCash: 500
Sign Mueller and Winnik... call it an offseason.

Unless we can get Doan, Semin (short term), or a trade that we don't lose too much on for Bouwmeester or another D of his ilk, or a forward who ca score, ie, Ryan.

Appleyard is offline  
Old
07-08-2012, 03:14 PM
  #536
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,503
vCash: 500
I remember not too long ago that Bouwmeester and his contract were described by many to be among the biggest disasters of the NHL. How times -- and cap limits -- change. I wouldn't mind Bouwmeester, but I don't think he's the #1 this team needs.

BernieParent is offline  
Old
07-09-2012, 07:07 PM
  #537
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft
 
BleedOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oshawa Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,197
vCash: 500
Hay homer are you going to offer doan even if he doesnt want to come east maybe you can change his mind seeing others interest on twittier but not the flyers..

BleedOrange is online now  
Old
07-09-2012, 09:44 PM
  #538
A Clerk
Schennergy
 
A Clerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vilnius
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Hay homer are you going to offer doan even if he doesnt want to come east maybe you can change his mind seeing others interest on twittier but not the flyers..
according to csn philly the flyers are in on him

A Clerk is offline  
Old
07-10-2012, 10:18 AM
  #539
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,811
vCash: 500
Brenden Morrow is supposedly available.

Dude's a warrior.

Alchemy is offline  
Old
07-10-2012, 11:42 AM
  #540
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I remember not too long ago that Bouwmeester and his contract were described by many to be among the biggest disasters of the NHL. How times -- and cap limits -- change. I wouldn't mind Bouwmeester, but I don't think he's the #1 this team needs.
We don't need him to be a 1#. We need him to be a 2#.

Timonen - Schenn
Boumeester - Mezaros
Coburn - Grossman.

Thats just nasty.


Last edited by Spongolium*: 07-10-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Spongolium* is offline  
Old
07-10-2012, 11:46 AM
  #541
King Forsberg
16 21 28 44 68 88 93
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,837
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
We don't need him to be a 1#. We need him to be a 2#.

Timonen - Gustaffson
Boumeester - Mezaros
Coburn - Grossman.

Thats just nasty.
I hope we're not trading L. Schenn for Bouwmesster.

King Forsberg is online now  
Old
07-10-2012, 12:02 PM
  #542
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
^ ha ha sucka!





I just beat you to it lol. Forgot about Schenn

Spongolium* is offline  
Old
07-10-2012, 12:05 PM
  #543
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 36,684
vCash: 50
I would really like to have a guy we can rely on to help cut down Timonen's minutes. Is Bouwmeester that guy? I dont know. but they have to find someone. We could have issues next season if Timonen retires after the coming season.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
07-10-2012, 12:38 PM
  #544
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
St Louis re-signs Langenbrunner and deals Crombeen and a 5th rounder to Tampa for two 4th rounders.

They're doing some pretty clever things over there. I'm not so sure Crombeen would have played many games for them, even if they hadn't taken Langenbrunner back.

They have a lot of wingers right now though. Maybe someone like D'Agostini will be shopped? Stewart's name will be mentioned quite frequently as well of course, but I don't think he'll be dealt before the season begins.

mirimon is offline  
Old
07-10-2012, 01:02 PM
  #545
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
We don't need him to be a 1#. We need him to be a 2#.

Timonen - Schenn
Boumeester - Mezaros
Coburn - Grossman.

Thats just nasty.
That's also a lot of cap space devoted to a defense without a clear-cut top pairing. Further to the configuration you have, IMO, Timonen should receive some sheltering to stay healthy for March onward, and there's no way Schenn should be thrust into a top-pairing role. If Holmgren did deal for Bouwmeester and held onto Meszaros, I'd be inclined to go with Coburn - Grossmann as the 1 and Bouwmeester - Meszaros as 1A. Schenn could take time to get back on track with 3rd-pairing / 2nd PK minutes, and Timonen would be well served with 3rd-pairing / 1st PP play.

I'd still prefer (from cap room and development standpoints) having the sixth slot available to whomever of Gustaffson, Bourdon, Gervais or even Manning is most impressive in the preseason.

BernieParent is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 07:17 AM
  #546
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 14,697
vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Wow, Langenbrunner got a one year $1.5 million contract. I would have loved him for that much.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 11:25 AM
  #547
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
That's also a lot of cap space devoted to a defense without a clear-cut top pairing. Further to the configuration you have, IMO, Timonen should receive some sheltering to stay healthy for March onward, and there's no way Schenn should be thrust into a top-pairing role. If Holmgren did deal for Bouwmeester and held onto Meszaros, I'd be inclined to go with Coburn - Grossmann as the 1 and Bouwmeester - Meszaros as 1A. Schenn could take time to get back on track with 3rd-pairing / 2nd PK minutes, and Timonen would be well served with 3rd-pairing / 1st PP play.

I'd still prefer (from cap room and development standpoints) having the sixth slot available to whomever of Gustaffson, Bourdon, Gervais or even Manning is most impressive in the preseason.
I didn't order the pairings. I don't think you need to when they could all easily be a first pairing. Also pairing Schenn with Timonen is to allow him to regain his form. Whats better than having a top 15 defenseman next to you.

Spongolium* is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 03:07 PM
  #548
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,617
vCash: 500
If no trades workout and we don't sign Doan or Semin, what would everyone think about Andrei Kostitsyn? I think he would be a nice addition and probably wouldn't be too expensive.

Something like this
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.000m)
Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.000m)
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Danny Briere ($6.500m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.750m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Marc-Andre Bourdon ($0.900m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Michael Leighton ($0.900m)
BUYOUTS
Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,534,444; BONUSES: $2,705,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $6,665,556

PhilaFlyers is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 03:12 PM
  #549
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Wolski signs for the Caps, apparently it's for under 1 million, so it's not that big of a risk for them.

mirimon is offline  
Old
07-11-2012, 03:20 PM
  #550
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,406
vCash: 500
I would absolutely love to have Morrow and/or Doan.

Garbage Goal is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.