HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs 1st. pick, 5th. overall is: Morgan Rielly - Defender

Old
06-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
inconsistent would be a guy like Kuly going from 30gls one year to 7 goals the next.

inconsistent is not a guy like MacArthur, who steadily chips in 20gls/50pts a year.
Kulemin never had less than 15 goals before this past season. MacArthur only hit 20 goals these past two years and his first year playing for the leafs was the only time he hit the 50 point plateau (62). You can make a case that Kulemin isn't consistent but come on Mac hasn't really been all that consistent to date. I remember seeing somewhere that Mac had goal droughts of 17 and 20 games during his 17 goal campaign with the Sabres.

Eyedea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:43 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
He sure is defensively and makes pretty bad turnovers.

Should have traded him at the deadline.
Yeah because every player who's not a perennial Selke candidate should be trade bait. Really, the whole "player X is subpar defensively and therefore holds limited value" is getting as tired and contrived as the "player Y has a bad contract and therefore needs to be moved immediately." Honestly, you'd think available cap space gives your team a bonus three goals a game with the way it gets talked about around here.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Yeah because every player who's not a perennial Selke candidate should be trade bait. Really, the whole "player X is subpar defensively and therefore holds limited value" is getting as tired and contrived as the "player Y has a bad contract and therefore needs to be moved immediately." Honestly, you'd think available cap space gives your team a bonus three goals a game with the way it gets talked about around here.
It's not about cap space. He just isn't that good and is taking away good minutes and a roster spot from Kadri who could bring similar production.

He is replaceable and Leafs would have gotten good value out of him. Should have traded him but that's just my opinion.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:52 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
It's not about cap space. He just isn't that good and is taking away good minutes and a roster spot from Kadri who could bring similar production.

He is replaceable and Leafs would have gotten good value out of him. Should have traded him but that's just my opinion.
I wasn't saying it was about cap space. He makes what, $1 million dollars or so? It's obviously not about cap space. I was just going off on a tangent. And I'm interested as to why you think Kadri is just entitled to a top 6 roster spot before he even hits training camp.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:17 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
How high would you have selected him? Which players would you say have a higher ceiling in this draft?
I say none have a higher ceiling than Morgan.....I said it a long while ago. I would have drafted him second at worse. This is a kid who can change a game.

I will share one story with you....his coached shared. Probably the best memory I have of Morgan and it never happened in my lifetime is when we beat Tisdale 5-4 and he scored three short-handed goals as a defenceman. To me that epitomized him as a player. He could change a game.

He is that good and this was against players two years older than him.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 04:08 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
inconsistent would be a guy like Kuly going from 30gls one year to 7 goals the next.

inconsistent is not a guy like MacArthur, who steadily chips in 20gls/50pts a year.
I rather have a guy who plays a two-way game than a guy who scores and then loses his cool at dumb moments. Not to mention craps the defensive game. I don't like it when Kessel makes some defensive moves but he has elite instincts and actually tries now. Especially now under Carlyle I expect it to increase.

Quote:
Quote:
I wasn't saying it was about cap space. He makes what, $1 million dollars or so? It's obviously not about cap space. I was just going off on a tangent. And I'm interested as to why you think Kadri is just entitled to a top 6 roster spot before he even hits training camp.
I like him, he isn't bad but the problem is his two way game. I am not going to be surprised if he does stick around with the leafs his ice time is lowered quite a bit under Carlyle unless he increases his two way game.

Anyways let's stop the macarthur discussion and continue with Rielly talk.

06-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Smif

@mriles4
so pumped to head to TO tomorrow morning, can't wait to put on leafs colours for the first time.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:23 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
@mriles4
so pumped to head to TO tomorrow morning, can't wait to put on leafs colours for the first time.
He is really excited to be a Leaf. He is a great young man who has a very strong work ethic.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:24 AM
MorriPage

The more I read on this kid and the more I hear from him, the happier and more excited I am that he's a Leaf. Morgan Rielly will be scary good for this team in three years' time.

MorriPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:55 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Happy Canada day! Holy hell im excited to have this kid in the system

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:14 AM
ITM

Quote:

Have to stress again, tragedy hits every person differently. Kulemin appeared "absent" in a very noticeable way other than his goal contribution this season. Some things can certainly be fixed with the right coach, a different stick, a better diet...But the climb back to "normal" after a loss like Lokomotiv's is usually only made after a significant period of time has passed.

I believe Kulemin will be every bit the force he once was. I think that's the real player the club has.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:15 AM
ITM

Quote:
@mriles4
Gold.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITM View Post
Have to stress again, tragedy hits every person differently. Kulemin appeared "absent" in a very noticeable way other than his goal contribution this season. Some things can certainly be fixed with the right coach, a different stick, a better diet...But the climb back to "normal" after a loss like Lokomotiv's is usually only made after a significant period of time has passed.

I believe Kulemin will be every bit the force he once was. I think that's the real player the club has.
This.

Great post.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
@mriles4
Technically he already wore the Leafs colours at the draft...

07-01-2012, 07:48 AM
ITM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
This.

Great post.
Thanks.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:30 AM
RiellyGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
You must never have played hockey... If you're not donning the gear, it doesn't count

RiellyGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 08:32 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
You know, I really think that tweet highlights some mental issues that Rielly has. Burke and Co. should have found out about these before picking him! FIRE BOURKE!!

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creschenndolls View Post
You must never have played hockey... If you're not donning the gear, it doesn't count
For someone who's been on the Forums for 10 years, you'd think you'd know the sarcasm emoticon by this point. I guess not.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote