HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Isles Acquire Lubomir Visnovsky for 2013 2nd round pick

Old
06-22-2012, 09:00 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

vCash: 500
Oh man, the things people say on this board

Can anyone ever be excited?

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:00 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

People are actually complaining about this? Be happy Snow ****ing did something.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:03 PM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
People are actually complaining about this? Be happy Snow ****ing did something.
We need a Facebook "LIKE" button for some of these posts.

I am as critical as they come and I like the moves today. They are addressing the weakness of the team. "Lighten up Francis"

TROLLPOSO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:03 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

With the additions of Lubomir and Griffin to the blue line, the Isles don't look so pitiful back there.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:05 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
With the additions of Lubomir and Griffin to the blue line, the Isles don't look so pitiful back there.
I agree. Not calling D our strength (goaltending is), but these moves really upped us up. Let's see what happens in the first week of July.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:07 PM
islesfan3991

Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
What was the one thing that EVERYONE wanted to get this offseason? Does a top 4 defenseman ring a bell? Thats exactly what we got in this deal! Stop complaining to try and make yourselves look like geniuses. We all know that you people are mad that your "Snow Must Go" thread is locked but don't bring to other topics please.

islesfan3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:12 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Oh man, the things people say on this board

Can anyone ever be excited?

Yes...When we make the playoffs.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:12 PM
gonnaneedsomewine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Not at the stage of the rebuild to make moves? We are at the perfect stage to make moves for players and even the detractors to this trade agree with that. This team doesn't need and more prospects or picks WE NEED NHL PLAYERS to play along side our young talent.

Tim Thomas isn't happening we are probably going to be with a million or two after the Vis trade already..
I said they are not at the stage of the rebuild to make moves like THIS, where they are giving up a valuable draft pick that will likely be close to the top of round 2 for one year of a 36 year old veteran defenseman on the decline just to help them reach the cap floor.

I have no problem with the Isles feeling they are ready to move picks for players and go after some NHL proven talent. But I would hope that if you're going to be trading higher picks (like a 2nd rounder), it's part of a package for a guy in his 20's that can be around for the next 5 years and help this team reach its goals.

Throwing away a 2nd rounder for a guy like Visnovsky is horrible asset management. Hurts the team in the long run, and he alone will not help the Isles make the playoffs this year and push them over the top, so how much does he really help in the short run (aside from the cap floor)?

I just don't see the logic behind this trade. He's a big name and has put up some nice numbers over the years, so maybe he gets the fans excited. But from a roster building/team building/long term approach, it's a waste of a pick that could be pretty valuable.

gonnaneedsomewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:23 PM
CodeE

To anyone doubting this was a great trade for the Isles... do me a favor and pop on over to the Ducks subforum like I just did.

Their fans are PISSED and that just makes me happier.

Not gonna rub it in over there but when all their fans are going "WHY MURRAY WHY?!?!?!?!" you can pretty much assume you got the better end of the deal

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:23 PM
JeffNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnaneedsomewine View Post
giving up a valuable draft pick

if you're going to be trading higher picks (like a 2nd rounder),

Throwing away a 2nd rounder for a guy like Visnovsky is horrible asset management.

it's a waste of a pick that could be pretty valuable.
If we're nowhere at the trade deadline, we'll more than likely get a 2nd for him anyway. Under that scenario we got the player for nothing.

If we're in the hunt at the trade deadline, I'll bet you that Visnovsky will have been a contributing factor.

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Glorydays22

BAD DEAL! 2013 I heard is a deep draft. Why can't we get a vet D-Man under 35??? What the hell, can't we get a 30-32 yr old vet who can help us for more than 1 yr?

Glorydays22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:34 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorydays22 View Post
BAD DEAL! 2013 I heard is a deep draft. Why can't we get a vet D-Man under 35??? What the hell, can't we get a 30-32 yr old vet who can help us for more than 1 yr?
Really? This is an incredible pick up and Snow has shown the ability to stock pile picks so there is no reason to dislike this move.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Isles Junkie

i have to think that the Isles will still look to add another significant Dman.

Visnovsky is fine for next year, but the isles have to start thinking about bringing in proven players who will be a part of the team for a few years, not just 1 or 2 years. that's not to say that he shouldn't have made this deal. I just would love to see someone they can bring in who is under control & left of 35.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:41 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
To anyone doubting this was a great trade for the Isles... do me a favor and pop on over to the Ducks subforum like I just did.

Their fans are PISSED and that just makes me happier.

Not gonna rub it in over there but when all their fans are going "WHY MURRAY WHY?!?!?!?!" you can pretty much assume you got the better end of the deal
this is a great move for the Isles, no doubt about it. Visnovsky will probably be as good as Streit is, the PP should be deadly next year if they can stay healthy (especially the #1 Centre)

But make no mistake, the fact that Visnovky will cost Wang $3MM is SALARY and deliver a whopping $5.6MM on the cap is a HUGE reason why he's an Islander today.

Still, a smart pick-up ON ICE though - good move by Snow.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Boik14

Did any of the people who hate this trade stop and think for a minute that its going to be fairly easy to recoup that 2nd rounder for Visnovsky at the deadline should we be out of playoff contention (as usual)? Of course you didnt. Actually, at the trade deadline Im quite sure we'd get a 1st + if Visnovsky has a good year...

Boik14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:49 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I said they are not at the stage of the rebuild to make moves like THIS, where they are giving up a valuable draft pick that will likely be close to the top of round 2 for one year of a 36 year old veteran defenseman on the decline just to help them reach the cap floor.
This is the 5th draft since Snow started his rebuild.He has a glut of very good prospects.
This is exactly the time for a trade like this.He needs to give his young players veteran support.

Quote:
I have no problem with the Isles feeling they are ready to move picks for players and go after some NHL proven talent. But I would hope that if you're going to be trading higher picks (like a 2nd rounder), it's part of a package for a guy in his 20's that can be around for the next 5 years and help this team reach its goals.
If the isles are out of the race at next season's trade deadline,Vis will bring back a 2nd rounder.Maybe a 2nd and a lower pick,if you look at how teams overpay at the trade deadline.

Quote:
Throwing away a 2nd rounder for a guy like Visnovsky is horrible asset management. Hurts the team in the long run, and he alone will not help the Isles make the playoffs this year and push them over the top, so how much does he really help in the short run (aside from the cap floor)?
Do you remember what an immediate impact Streit had when he first joined the isles?
I think you are selling Vis short.

Quote:
I just don't see the logic behind this trade. He's a big name and has put up some nice numbers over the years, so maybe he gets the fans excited. But from a roster building/team building/long term approach, it's a waste of a pick that could be pretty valuable
He improves the 2012-2013 roster.
His presence keeps the isles from rushing a youngster like De Haan or Donovan.

I can't believe some of our fans, are unhappy with with this trade.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boik14 View Post
Did any of the people who hate this trade stop and think for a minute that its going to be fairly easy to recoup that 2nd rounder for Visnovsky at the deadline should we be out of playoff contention (as usual)? Of course you didnt. Actually, at the trade deadline Im quite sure we'd get a 1st + if Visnovsky has a good year...
Honestly I think most of the people who hate this trade are either too far on the fire snow side that even good moves are horrible because Snowang made it or they're just pissed it's not Weber or whoever.

He may not be a superstar but he helps this team and I agree 100% with Isles Junkie that just cause this deal is in the bag doesn't mean that Garth should stop and the defense is set. This team needs work, this move alone doesn't make us a playoff team and realistically not one move out there makes us a playoff team multiple moves need to be made and this hopefully is the first of a couple good moves.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Words Of Wisdom

Very good trade. We didn't give up much.

Words Of Wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Islander Prophet

great deal Snow!

Let's try to attract another big name player now...KEEP IT COMING!!

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Glorydays22

Now I know Snow will get at least another D-Man(UFA), but let's not hope its more of the 35 and up type. Sarich or Allen would be great.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Glorydays22

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan3991 View Post
That 36 year old had his best year 2 seasons ago. Its a good move and we got a top 4 defenseman just like we needed.
that was 2 years ago...a top 4 D-Man on the decline. I'm not saying he wasn't a good player. But reality is he's getting older by the minute and slowed by injury. I know Snow needs to reach the bottom of the cap and that salary really helps, but we could have used that money for a better younger d-man and/or another depth player

Do you really want to go into the season with 2 of your "Top 4 D-Man" who are going to pay major minutes to be 34 and 36? that's all I'm saying

Old
06-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Sparksrus3

Poor Poor Poor Butch.How is he ever going to say the name? Get ready to hear a lot more of
" Wiley Vet" coming over the tv. Love the draft pick,Love the trade,Hate Butch,Hate my wife
Let's Go Islanders

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:13 PM
bstash19

the dudes that are on here blasting the move are the same dudes who would be blasting on here if snow didnt make a move. get off your soapbox, no one cares.

bstash19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:14 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
i have to think that the Isles will still look to add another significant Dman.

Visnovsky is fine for next year, but the isles have to start thinking about bringing in proven players who will be a part of the team for a few years, not just 1 or 2 years. that's not to say that he shouldn't have made this deal. I just would love to see someone they can bring in who is under control & left of 35.
You got the right line of thinking. This deal better be part b, with part a being a strong trade pickup that is signed or a strong UFA signing. Otherwise, more of the same. Wang ordering snow to maximize the cap hit vs payroll to the absolute detriment of the rebuild. Now, it's time to spend cash wisely.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Glorydays22

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoffspring447 View Post
the dudes that are on here blasting the move are the same dudes who would be blasting on here if snow didnt make a move. get off your soapbox, no one cares.
Not everyone, I do not like the trade. But thought Snow deserve to stay as GM, he's done a decent job....just has to stop with these 35,36,37 yr old D-Man