HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[WSH/DAL] Ribeiro for Eakin+2nd

Old
06-23-2012, 01:55 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Do you want him too? You can have him for a conditional 7th.
Uh, yeah.

Where do I sign?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:57 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
Do you want him too? You can have him for a conditional 7th.
He's been that bad eh?

Capitlols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:58 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Don't expect Ribeiro to be strong defensively. And unless he gets a lot of offensive zone starts, he probably won't produce as much as you'd like.

Best of luck to him and you guys, though. Heres to hoping Eakin becomes an elite 3rd line center and a decent #2 stopgap until Faksa is ready.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:58 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
He's been that bad eh?
You have absolutely no idea.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:24 AM
Capitlols

Capitlols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:01 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Kind of torn with this trade. I love the trade for the Caps, it fills a huge need.

But Eakin was my favorite prospect and I recently bought the jersey he scored his first career NHL goal in. If only I could predict the future, would have saved a couple of bucks.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:06 AM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Surprised your team got Ribeiro for so little. Strong deal for the Caps.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:19 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Don't expect Ribeiro to be strong defensively. And unless he gets a lot of offensive zone starts, he probably won't produce as much as you'd like.

Best of luck to him and you guys, though. Heres to hoping Eakin becomes an elite 3rd line center and a decent #2 stopgap until Faksa is ready.
Semin can play defense, he just needs to be told to do it and he can do it just fine, he didn't have a problem doing offense in combination with it.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:16 AM
BTCG

Was gonna chime in last night, but was cooking dinner: there really is no substitute for a Backwood's smoker.

I know Ribero well. Big rivalry between the Stars & Wings for years, and the Wings have owned the Stars.

The plus on Ribero: he's a centre, a vet, and he can provide points and minutes.

The downside: Mickey Redmond talked about how, what was thought to be because of his age, Ribero's defenceive play had fallen off, and the team had lost confidence in him. From memory, I think they moved him off the PP. He did get quite a few points, but not many in the clutch. I think the Mick noted that the points came late, after he was more or less demoted. To quote the Mick: "Ribero is one of those guy Dallas just might move during the off-season to get younger and faster." As usual, the Mick was right on, which tells me that he was talking to the Dallas brass before the game, in confidence that he wouldn't reveal who told him these things.

My take: although not washed up totally, a new team might jumpstart Ribero. Definitely a move that needed to be made, but not a good move, and here's why:

This team has needed 2-3 top centers for a very long time. Something like this should have been addressed almost two years ago.

I think Dallas was willing to do this because they think Eakin will develope in their system. Don't be surprised if opinion shifts several months from now, and Dallas is said to have gotten the better end of the trade.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:30 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Semin can play defense, he just needs to be told to do it and he can do it just fine, he didn't have a problem doing offense in combination with it.

Semin did improve his defenceive game, but he's a long way from being a good 2-way player.

Putting aside the fact that he's returned to what he once was offenceively: streaky on offence, he had a bad habit of allowing his opposing player to gain a step on him... which forced him to hook. And let's be honest, he took the same hooking calls at what seemed like the same rate Cassidy took "too many men on the ice" calls.

Semin has worked on this, and reduced it nicely... perhaps at the price of using up the energy he used to give to his offence.

McPhee's real test will be in seeing if he can patch the relationship with Semin, and get him to sign for an amount the team can live with. Maybe Dales exit and Dean Evason's insertion into the head coaching job will help in that endeavor.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Millhaus

This is a bad move because it should have been done years ago? So if you don't address a need fairly quickly any move you ever make to address it will be a poor one because it wasn't done when it should have been done? Yeah I strongly disagree.

Ribeiro is a good addition and the price wasn't high IMO but yes Eakin likely will still be playing long after Ribeiro hangs them up and it is very possible a couple of years down the road Eakin is the superior player.

Ribeiro's ability to create offense will allow the team to weather Backstrom being out of the lineup a lot better than they did last season. But to get the most out of Ribeiro when both are in the lineup the Caps needs to but a player who can score goals on his wing to finish those excellent setups. And yes defense isn't Ribeiro's forte and his faceoff work isn't stellar either.

Millhaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:01 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
This is a bad move because it should have been done years ago? So if you don't address a need fairly quickly any move you ever make to address it will be a poor one because it wasn't done when it should have been done? Yeah I strongly disagree.

Ribeiro is a good addition and the price wasn't high IMO but yes Eakin likely will still be playing long after Ribeiro hangs them up and it is very possible a couple of years down the road Eakin is the superior player.

Ribeiro's ability to create offense will allow the team to weather Backstrom being out of the lineup a lot better than they did last season. But to get the most out of Ribeiro when both are in the lineup the Caps needs to but a player who can score goals on his wing to finish those excellent setups. And yes defense isn't Ribeiro's forte and his faceoff work isn't stellar either.
'This is a bad move because it should have been done years ago?'

Didn't say it was 'bad' said it wasn't good.

It's like a friend who shingled his roof. He did a good job of it technically.

But instead of doing the job in a timely manner, he waited a year, and the wood underneath rotted as a result.

We'll see what Evason can do with him... and yes, I assume it's gonna be DE. If not, we've got the same situation here, not doing things in a timely manner, and the new coach saying "well, if they'd have given me a little more time."

Old
06-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
'This is a bad move because it should have been done years ago?'

Didn't say it was 'bad' said it wasn't good.

It's like a friend who shingled his roof. He did a good job of it technically.

But instead of doing the job in a timely manner, he waited a year, and the wood underneath rotted as a result.

We'll see what Evason can do with him... and yes, I assume it's gonna be DE. If not, we've got the same situation here, not doing things in a timely manner, and the new coach saying "well, if they'd have given me a little more time."
First of all I assume you are not aware that Evason will be the head coach of Nashville's AHL team in Milwaukee next season?

Second of all in your opinion the team has 'rotted' since Fedorov left and thus now needs to be rebuilt? I don't like your metaphor because I do not think that is anyway the case.

The Caps still have excellent talent up and down their lineup. They need to resign Semin or replace him with a pretty good goal scorer to play with Ribeiro as well as resign their RFAs but if they do that this team is as capable as it ever has been assuming their young goaltenders show they can get it done over the course of the long regular season.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:21 AM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Ribeiro is a 65-80 point center men. End of story. He fills the hole that has been there for years. And if you look at his stats, he's been very consistent, and has done it without all that much help.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:22 AM
BTCG

Quote:
First of all I assume you are not aware that Evason will be the head coach of Nashville's AHL team in Milwaukee next season?

Second of all in your opinion the team has 'rotted' since Fedorov left and thus now needs to be rebuilt? I don't like your metaphor because I do not think that is anyway the case.

The Caps still have excellent talent up and down their lineup. They need to resign Semin or replace him with a pretty good goal scorer to play with Ribeiro as well as resign their RFAs but if they do that this team is as capable as it ever has been assuming their young goaltenders show they can get it done over the course of the long regular season.
Nope, hadn't heard that about DE. Welcome news, if true.

Said nothing about Feds. McPhee's entire history with the team has been to wait until the last minute to do anything... especially in the off-season.

I'm sorry, but when this first began occurring, we were told to give him time, he was new to the job, and had his own methods.

It's been a dozen years, and I think we've wasted several opportunities that were fixable. The centre issue is just one of them.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:27 AM
BTCG

Yep,

Terry says you're right, and people think it'll be Adam Oates.

And while I like AO, you wonder why we seem to be reluctant to get a coach with a pedigree.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
I'm sorry, but when this first began occurring, we were told to give him time, he was new to the job, and had his own methods.

It's been a dozen years, and I think we've wasted several opportunities that were fixable. The centre issue is just one of them.
I'll agree that this is a move that could and likely should have been made a couple of years ago ideally but I do not in anyway believe this move was made too late, which is what I feel I am getting from you. Late? Sure. Too late? No. I guess that is what I am saying.

If they don't resign or replace Semin with a pretty good goal scorer then I would definitely say this was a move made too late though. So I guess we will have to see how the rest of this offseason plays out for the Caps.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:33 AM
G3 LesPaul

So wait timeout.

We finally get a 2nd line center and people are crying about this? His name has been mentioned all over this board, now all the sudden he sucks?

God people love to complain...

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:36 AM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
I'll agree that this is a move that could and likely should have been made a couple of years ago ideally but I do not in anyway believe this move was made too late, which is what I feel I am getting from you. Late? Sure. Too late? No. I guess that is what I am saying.

If they don't resign or replace Semin with a pretty good goal scorer then I would definitely say this was a move made too late though. So I guess we will have to see how the rest of this offseason plays out for the Caps.

Agreed on the second point, if we're getting Ribeiro just to roll him on a line with Laich and Brouwer, this just seems like a waste..

DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
So wait timeout.

We finally get a 2nd line center and people are crying about this? His name has been mentioned all over this board, now all the sudden he sucks?

God people love to complain...
It's just the Detroit Troll. Ignore it.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:25 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
It's pretty funny how last year, I was begging for a 1B center and you argued that was an unrealistic expectation; any center in the top 60 in scoring would be adequate.

Now we're looking like dumping Semin and all of a sudden Laich, Chimera and Brouwer who were all top 6 goal scoring forwards last season by that narrow definition are not adequate for that role.

I'm not saying I like any of those players as second line finishers on this team, but it's amusing to me.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

You just called out Millhaus hard.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:05 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Semin is not going to be a Cap next season.
They won't accept it until he signs elsewhere. Denial is bliss...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:04 PM
artilector

Ribeiro trade is good, period.

Maybe he's gonna decline, maybe Eakin will surpass all expectations, but getting a guy with solid 2C credentials makes all those risks easily worth it.

The 2C of the future is still probably gonna have to come from inside -- guys like J.Staal don't get traded every year and only 1 out of 30 teams gets him. But Ribeiro can be expected to make the Caps a lot more competitive for the next few years, fills a HUGE need, and they got him without giving up any big assets. A+ kind of trade. If possible, would've been A+++ a year ago, sure, so what..

I expect the only tricky part will be not caving in and giving him a long term contract next year, Caps ought to be careful about that, esp. if there are indeed signs that he may be starting to decline speed-wise, etc. But.. cross that bridge when you get there..

I think most of us here want the Caps to get a skilled guy to replace Semin, right? (Damn I still can't believe Semin is just gonna leave for free.. should ve held on to Flash, eh?!). Kostitsyn sounds ok.. I'd be curious about Radulov's demands, though can't see McPhee being interested. But Ribeiro being a good playmaking center I think reduces the demand on pure skill from his linemates.. Sounds like he needs guys who will work hard, create some room for him, with enough skill to finish plays and make solid passes. If so, maybe it's time to look at some Swedish wingers, lol.

Somebody else brought up throwing a package for Ryan. But there's no way I'd consider trading Alzner/Carlson at this point. Especially with Caps not using unusually high picks this draft on any high-end D-men, I don't expect any will be coming any time soon, and you can't ever trade for one.. so that's it, they gotta hold on to Carlzner (and Orlov, fwiw) for dear life, IMO. Dangle Green if you must..

artilector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Radulov's gone IMO and I doubt he would have been on their radar at this point.