HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

DAL trades Ribeiro to WSH for Eakin/2nd round pick in 2012

Old
06-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Troy McClure

vCash: 500
There is only one scenario where the Stars will need Ribeiro's salary -- if the Stars are still operating on a small market budget. If that's the case, get Gaglardi out of here.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:15 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
Is there any chance Jokinen signs a 1-2 year deal?

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:15 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

I have to agree, I don't think Riberio's salary free is a good argument. Gaglardi said he'd pay whatever is necessary to make the team good.

Riberio moving out was for a lot of reasons, but I don't think money was one of them.

Quote:
The team is worse off today. There aren't many good FA options and now the Stars have one less trade chip to help remake the roster. I personally am not upset by this. I'd rather be bad but have direction (younger, more skilled, adding to the group of guys who are going to remake this franchise) than be mediocre and trying to take this same roster with minor tweaks to try to make the playoffs this year.

If JN can swing some amazing deals good on him and us. But if that doesn't happen then Eakin is part of the group that's probably 2-3 years away and hopefully by being bad they bring in a no doubt blue chip prospect next June. This may be the year to see who's part of the future and whether guys like Glennie can hack it.
Agree completely. But Morrow/Robidas need to go too if we're really doing a youth movement. Right now things are unclear because we're half way between getting younger and halfway between competing next year with the same leadership core. We need another move or two from Joe to really see their plan.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
As I've said before, I guarantee we'll be taking a contract from a team who has to restructure after the new CBA comes to term. Lites and Joe have both mentioned that as a luxury this team will be able to make with its flexible cap space.
Sure we'll probably be taking a contract but there's a vast difference from Bouwmeester to say Lombardi. I want Vanek. Doesn't mean we have near enough that we're willing to trade to pick him up. There are degrees of talent vs. salary and unfortunately we may have to take closer to mediocre rather than just overpaid.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
There is only one scenario where the Stars will need Ribeiro's salary -- if the Stars are still operating on a small market budget. If that's the case, get Gaglardi out of here.
so what if it's not the case and the Stars actually end up spending more on the team this year then last year - maybe significantly more.

How will you slag this trade then?

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:17 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Sure we'll probably be taking a contract but there's a vast difference from Bouwmeester to say Lombardi. I want Vanek. Doesn't mean we have near enough that we're willing to trade to pick him up. There are degrees of talent vs. salary and unfortunately we may have to take closer to mediocre rather than just overpaid.
Vanek? Where'd that come from?

Old
06-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:
We aren't going to instantly sell out every game now that we have an owner... you don't just jump from being a floor team to a cap team..

Bennrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Vanek? Where'd that come from?
If we're talking guys who could be on the move for cap purposes Vanek might well be one. We don't have what it takes to acquire him and I don't think Buffalo really moves him but he like Bouwmeester is over paid. He's just my personal pipe dream.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:56 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Heika really rips him there.
Really have to be impressed with Heika's ability to lay it on the line once a guy leaves town.

Quote:
I don't get why Eakin can't slot in as the #2 center, at least for a bit. We only need someone there for a year or two until Faksa is ready.
Having not really seen Eakin play it's hard for me to make an informed judgment on the feasibility of this but Nieuwendyk said the team views him as a top 6 forward. I'm not sure if he meant now or in the future but I would be surprised if he were in the AHL next season in our organization when he was already on a better NHL team last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennrocks View Post
You are over estimating prospects ability to pan out, only about 60% of first round picks have an nhl career much less pan out as top 6 players
That's a pretty simplistic way of looking at a player who is a few years of development removed from the draft.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:30 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletor View Post
what a sad day for Caps fans, this organization is going down the tube, i grew up in the same neighborhood as Ribeiro and was in the same grade as him, what a looser this guy is, he is hated by most of his team mates everywhere he goes. i was very happy when we dumped him on Dallas but felt bad for Dallas fans.

Ovechkin must be telling himself " why did they trade for this guy? why are they making these bad decisions? we we're and offensive juggernaut a couple years ago and now everything is falling apart".

another season like last year and Ovechkin will want out.

i'm very mad that this Punk is going to play for the Caps, what a cancer.
Cool story bro.

Quote:
I don't think Washington's afraid of those personalities. And I think he'll mesh pretty well with Ovi, too.

Anywhere else and he'd suck.
Never thought I'd see the day where a guy who is just slightly under a PPG takes such a beating.

Ribeiro's apparently famous long shifts were never a problem under a better coach and we rode those long shifts all the way to the WCF. Ribs is fine as long as he's playing for a coach with a pair of stones.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:34 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletor View Post
is this what goes on on this website, when you wanna engage in intelligent conversations you have jerks like this busting balls?
There wasn't anything intelligent about your post. It was vitriolic and full of innuendo. Say what you want but don't be a dick.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:38 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
As for Richards, there were plenty of fans thinking the gaggle of free agent depth players would make the team better than having Richards. Of course, that was silly talk. The Stars were going to suck either way because the team needed to add that depth around Richards and not to replace him.
Moot point because Richards wasn't going to stay here.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Bench
urban sombrero

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Moot point because Richards wasn't going to stay here.
That wasn't the conversation we were having.

It was about the subtraction of a high cap player (Ribeiro) and somehow getting better because you have more money to acquire a bunch of mid-level free agents.

We saw that happen with Richards (and people saying the Stars would get better) and now it's happening with Ribeiro. Both are crazy talk. The best Stars team we've seen in 10 years was lead by Ribeiro and Richards.

All I know is removing Ribeiro makes the Stars harder to watch. He was one of the bright spots the last few years. With Steve Ott penciled in as the 2nd line center, and no dramatic free agent help on the horizon, I'm pretty apathetic about where things are headed. Maybe there's a big crazy trade in the works, but hopefully it goes better than Goligoski for Neal.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:14 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post

It was about the subtraction of a high cap player (Ribeiro) and somehow getting better because you have more money to acquire a bunch of mid-level free agents.

We saw that happen with Richards (and people saying the Stars would get better) and now it's happening with Ribeiro. Both are crazy talk. The best Stars team we've seen in 10 years was lead by Ribeiro and Richards.

All I know is removing Ribeiro makes the Stars harder to watch. He was one of the bright spots the last few years. With Steve Ott penciled in as the 2nd line center, and no dramatic free agent help on the horizon, I'm pretty apathetic about where things are headed. Maybe there's a big crazy trade in the works, but hopefully it goes better than Goligoski for Neal.
I don't know why people are penciling anybody in anywhere, it's the day after the draft not the day before training camp.

The trade of Ribeiro should be broken into separate discussions - one about whether he should have been traded and one about the return. On the former, it was pretty obvious that the team had no intention of re-signing him. Whether that's right or wrong is debatable, but what isn't is the fact that keeping him for one more year and not getting something tangible for him would have been a bigger mistake than keeping and swinging for the fences (in this team's case that means the playoffs ).

I'm honestly not worried about what happens because I don't see this team as being much better even if we kept Ribeiro and added pieces around him. Maybe we trade for Roy and see how the fit is with the team and think about re-signing him or flip him at the trade deadline when teams are willing to pay out the ass for players of any quality.

I just can't bring myself to care too much about trading Ribeiro. The parity in the league is absolutely ridiculous these days and regardless of what people say we do have the goaltending and enough talented players to not fall off the face of the earth. If I had to guess I'd say we're probably going to have a season close to last year, and the one before that, and the one before that. The only thing worth being optimistic about is the prospects beginning their pro careers. If we come out of this years-long funk it will be on the backs of homegrown players anyways, not 33 year old players.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:17 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

Quote:

This is a lie.

On paper, arguably, but the '07-'08 team was better, and if you go even further back there are definitely significantly deeper and better teams.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:20 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
This is a lie.
No it's not. Richards was on that 07-08 team for the playoffs, which is all anybody cares about.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Bench
urban sombrero

Quote:
This is a lie.

On paper, arguably, but the '07-'08 team was better, and if you go even further back there are definitely significantly deeper and better teams.
I'm listening.

Before you answer, do remember that in 10 years the Stars have only won 3 playoff series. Three. 2 of those came in 2008.

Beating the 8th place Oilers in 2003, while a stirring achievement, is probably not enough to sway me.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:24 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
No it's not. Richards was on that 07-08 team for the playoffs, which is all anybody cares about.
I'd take the '02-'03 team and the '05-'06 team before the '07-'08 team, personally.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:25 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

Quote:
I'm listening.

Before you answer, do remember that in 10 years the Stars have only won 3 playoff series. Three. 2 of those came in 2008.

Beating the 8th place Oilers in 2003, while a stirring achievement, is probably not enough to sway me.
Why are we only looking at how far we got in the playoffs...?

Old
06-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
so what if it's not the case and the Stars actually end up spending more on the team this year then last year - maybe significantly more.

How will you slag this trade then?
If I slag (?) the trade at all, it will be because they dumped Ribeiro without having an obvious replacement lined up.

My main point in replying to you about this is to say it's crazy to think money played any role here. This trade has to be about his play, his fit, or his lack of fit. It is silly to look at this team and think a money dump was a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennrocks View Post
We aren't going to instantly sell out every game now that we have an owner... you don't just jump from being a floor team to a cap team..
And if you have strong ownership, you don't let this kind of chump change drive hockey decisions.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Bench
urban sombrero

Quote:
That's true. I forgot teams hang division championship banners too.

But to seriously answer your question, because the playoffs show how you match up in a 7 game series against the best remaining NHL teams. The ability to rack up a ton of points against inferior teams is a pretty central theme to the lack of success certain teams have had in the post-season.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Bench
urban sombrero

Quote:
If I slag (?) the trade at all, it will be because they dumped Ribeiro without having an obvious replacement lined up.

My main point in replying to you about this is to say it's crazy to think money played any role here. This trade has to be about his play, his fit, or his lack of fit. It is silly to look at this team and think a money dump was a factor.

And if you have strong ownership, you don't let this kind of chump change drive hockey decisions.
Let's just be honest, McClure. The Stars are probably pulling an Edmonton and going full rebuild on a budget. When they look like they might not be terrible he'll open up his wallet for the missing pieces.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:33 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games Seen: 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:

That's something a San Jose fan would say to ease their pain.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Bench
urban sombrero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post

That's something a San Jose fan would say to ease their pain.
Regular season champions!

Old
06-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Let's just be honest, McClure. The Stars are probably pulling an Edmonton and going full rebuild on a budget. When they look like they might not be terrible he'll open up his wallet for the missing pieces.
It sure looks that way.

Maybe they don't have much of a choice. With this weak group of UFAs and the CBA uncertainty, maybe they are going to take a pass on the next season just like they had to with this past one.