HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DAL trades Ribeiro to WSH for Eakin/2nd round pick in 2012

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2012, 07:05 PM
  #276
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,360
vCash: 500
Decent article about Riberio's true value to this team over the past few years:

http://mobile.defendingbigd.com/2012...aft-cody-eakin

Quote:
More important than the faceoff issue is the fact that Ribeiro's game doesn't fit with what the Stars want to do long term. He created more tactical problems for the Stars in 2012 than he did for the opposition. As the season wore on the Stars coaching staff recognized that they needed to keep Ribeiro away from their own net and, generally, away from the top offensive lines of the opposition. They did, and the Eriksson, Ribeiro, and Ryder trio took off production-wise after the All Star Break.

Unfortunately, despite the relatively easy minutes they came into, the line was still in the red in Corsi. Ribero's Corsi Relative of -4.4 puts him above only the overwhelmed "checking" unit. Again, this came in easy minutes. Sure, the Stars generated some goals with Ribeiro on the ice at even strength. 2.72 per 60 even strength minutes to be exact. 2.72 goals per 60 even strength minutes was good for 112th among all forwards (a touch north of 400) who played 30 games last year.That's borderline first line and definite second line offensive production.

When Ribeiro was on the ice the Stars allowed 2.61 goals per 60 even strength minutes. Of all forwards who played in 30 games last year Ribeiro came in 275th. (The Stars allowed more goals with Benn on the ice, but the offense was significantly better). When you consider the cupcake minutes he was getting down the stretch the Stars needed Ribeiro to be a more positive player. For every 60 even strength minutes of ice time Ribeiro was plus .1 goals. Put another way, it took Ribeiro about forty games worth of even strength time to generate one net goal for the Stars in easy minutes. Jamie Benn generated one net goal every five games.

The consequences of this are varied. The two that most significantly hindered the Stars ability to win in 2012 were the fact that the top line was unable to generate enough positive production, and the fact that Ribeiro's presence blocked Jamie Benn. I don't think anyone here would argue with the idea that Benn was the Stars top player in 2012. Yet, he didn't play top power play minutes. With the Stars both favoring and protecting Ribeiro, Benn had his offensive opportunities limited given how much prime offensive time Ribeiro was getting.


Last edited by MetalGodAOD*: 06-24-2012 at 08:51 PM.
MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:19 PM
  #277
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 16,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
That lineup really isn't that much better. We'll probably make the playoffs, but not contend.
How in the world can anybody say how good or bad that lineup is?

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:48 PM
  #278
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Team ϶(o)ϵ
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas A&M
Country: Latvia
Posts: 22,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
How in the world can anybody say how good or bad that lineup is?
Basing it off of how I think those prospects will turn out.

And there's a very slim chance a lineup stuffed with them will be successful. Not saying they can't be, but it's doubtful.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:28 PM
  #279
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 16,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Basing it off of how I think those prospects will turn out.

And there's a very slim chance a lineup stuffed with them will be successful. Not saying they can't be, but it's doubtful.
Aside from MacKinnon you sure as **** better hope those other guys turn out, otherwise we truly will be screwed.

The discussion of whether that particular lineup would be better than what we've got now seems silly to me anyways. The point being we would at least have made a decision to move toward something while doing so with younger players. I'm tired of watching a veteran team go out there and mail it in half the time (Morrow) or be played over their heads (Robidas).

Tired head.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:52 PM
  #280
Dallasman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Edmonton,Alberta
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,800
vCash: 500
I'm looking forward to an offseason where Joe actually has some money to play with now and throw around. I know free agency isn't the be all and end all of the NHL but now with that fact we have that owner who is committed we'll be able to throw that at players who are available.

Much MUCH different from the past few off-seasons that's for sure.

Dallasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:15 PM
  #281
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,969
vCash: 500
What's money matter if there's crap to buy, especially expensive crap you have to give long term contracts to? There should be some guys to help the 3rd line but outside of Ray Whitney I don't see anyone like Ryder last year. The last thing this team needs is to overpay for a one year wonder, Garrison I'm looking at you, and get in a Leino situation where you've basically wasted millions of dollars and cap for a below average player.

Far better to try and find an overpaid guy like JVR was and hope he can produce decently than give out a 4-6 year deal for an average 2nd or 3rd line tweener. I like Semin but not if he wants 5/35.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:15 PM
  #282
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
What's money matter if there's crap to buy, especially expensive crap you have to give long term contracts to? There should be some guys to help the 3rd line but outside of Ray Whitney I don't see anyone like Ryder last year. The last thing this team needs is to overpay for a one year wonder, Garrison I'm looking at you, and get in a Leino situation where you've basically wasted millions of dollars and cap for a below average player.

Far better to try and find an overpaid guy like JVR was and hope he can produce decently than give out a 4-6 year deal for an average 2nd or 3rd line tweener. I like Semin but not if he wants 5/35.
To hit the floor the team has to throw money at somebody, and once Morrow/Ryder/Nystrom/Pardy come off next year that is another 10m. The team can absorb at least 5m of risky contract for this year and next year.

Mr Misty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:56 PM
  #283
Rune Forumwalker
Registered User
 
Rune Forumwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Decent article about Riberio's true value to this team over the past few years:

http://mobile.defendingbigd.com/2012...aft-cody-eakin
Ugh, what happened to the Ribeiro that lead the team to the WCF 4 years ago? I suppose it's a combination of Tippett and Lehts.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:34 AM
  #284
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 16,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
http://mobile.defendingbigd.com/2012...aft-cody-eakin

Quote:
The trade of Ribeiro allows the Stars to best utilize Benn's offensive abilities. The Stars now have the option to put Benn in the offensive zone more because they don't have to worry about what happens when Ribeiro is in his own end. The move will also give the Stars the opportunity to immediately get Benn the four minutes a night of powerplay time that a scorer of his caliber deserves. I would also guess that Benn will not be skating with Steve Ott and Adam Burish for most of 2013 either. These three factors make Benn a prime candidate for an enormous breakout 2013 season.
This sounds a bit presumptuous to me given that we don't know what other players will be here and who the 2nd line center will be.

The good thing of that article is that someone else with a brain seems to realize that Benn is clearly a center. I'm glad they didn't even address the issue of him maybe being moved because so much of that talk is based on reading between the lines of management speak.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:24 AM
  #285
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
This sounds a bit presumptuous to me given that we don't know what other players will be here and who the 2nd line center will be.

The good thing of that article is that someone else with a brain seems to realize that Benn is clearly a center. I'm glad they didn't even address the issue of him maybe being moved because so much of that talk is based on reading between the lines of management speak.
Well they certainly have the option of giving him some solid zone starts, but I am afraid that there will be no 2nd line to speak of and Benn will wind up with Ott and Burish once again to spread the talent out between the top 2 lines.

Mr Misty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:47 AM
  #286
CRSeven
Ballon d'Or 2013
 
CRSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: Mexico
Posts: 3,951
vCash: 500
IMO, the best option is to just stack the 1st line with Loui-Benn-Ryder.

CRSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:12 AM
  #287
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAlex916 View Post
IMO, the best option is to just stack the 1st line with Loui-Benn-Ryder.
While the rookies/spare parts/washed up UFAs/4th liners playing 2nd line get demolished?

Mr Misty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:14 AM
  #288
CRSeven
Ballon d'Or 2013
 
CRSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: Mexico
Posts: 3,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
While the rookies/spare parts/washed up UFAs/4th liners playing 2nd line get demolished?
Yep. Seth Jones, welcome to the Stars.

CRSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:33 AM
  #289
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 16,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
While the rookies/spare parts/washed up UFAs/4th liners playing 2nd line get demolished?
It's a little early to say it will be a **** second line. Regardless, Benn absolutely cannot be saddled with significantly inferior players again. It's possible to have success with a dominant top line but it requires the entire team playing solid as hell defense. Playing Benn with Ott and Burish is a sure fire way to be a bottom 5 team now that we have no other legitimate scoring center to ease that burden.

If Glennie can actually make it through a training camp alive he may be a default 2nd line center on opening night if he looks halfway decent. We're all just waiting to see what kind of rabbit Nieuwendyk's gonna pull from his hat.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:23 AM
  #290
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!
 
Arpi3080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Germany
Posts: 738
vCash: 500
Quote:
They currently have 30 million in cap space. Five of that will go to Benn.
Interesting so he expects 5 million $ for Benn I am curios for how many years.

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:07 AM
  #291
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 16,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpi3080 View Post
Interesting so he expects 5 million $ for Benn I am curios for how many years.
That's the figure commonly tossed around. Personally I would just prefer to buy out some of his UFA years; they'll end up saving money that way in the long run. None of this two-three year stuff. Kid's a stud, lock him up.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:40 AM
  #292
Famous Flames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 1,014
vCash: 500
Not really any reason not to throw an insane contract at Suter and Parise with the cap space the team has. If nothing else, you bid up the Detroits and Pittsburghs out there that are trying to land them.

Frankly, I think Suter is exactly what this team needs to round out the defense and would be much happier overpaying him in the long run than taking some other team's overpaid problem.

Famous Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:00 AM
  #293
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The KlINGberg
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 27,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Well they certainly have the option of giving him some solid zone starts, but I am afraid that there will be no 2nd line to speak of and Benn will wind up with Ott and Burish once again to spread the talent out between the top 2 lines.
Not to harp on it, but Benn will probably end up with Ott again even in those nice offensive zone starts all so Ott can win the faceoff for him. Offensive zone starts aren't so great if you can't win a draw.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:12 AM
  #294
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
It's a little early to say it will be a **** second line. Regardless, Benn absolutely cannot be saddled with significantly inferior players again. It's possible to have success with a dominant top line but it requires the entire team playing solid as hell defense. Playing Benn with Ott and Burish is a sure fire way to be a bottom 5 team now that we have no other legitimate scoring center to ease that burden.

If Glennie can actually make it through a training camp alive he may be a default 2nd line center on opening night if he looks halfway decent. We're all just waiting to see what kind of rabbit Nieuwendyk's gonna pull from his hat.
Consider me pessimistic about next season's 2nd line. What UFA wants to sign here, and what trade makes the team better without opening up its own holes in the roster, plus GMJN hasn't covered himself in glory on the trade front?

Mr Misty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:26 AM
  #295
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide
 
Hull Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, TX
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,969
vCash: 500
I like the proposed Roy and Luke Adam for Ott deal.

Roy is a good center who can help, at least until the deadline. Adam is the long term solution at 2nd line center. Eakin then becomes your 3rd line center and you've got a year for the kids in Austin to develop. Team won't be great but they could then move Morrow, Ryder, Robidas or even Lehtonen at the deadline to bring in more pieces.

That probably gets you a top five pick and a guy like Sean Monahan, who's better than Couturier.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:41 AM
  #296
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!
 
Mr Misty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I like the proposed Roy and Luke Adam for Ott deal.

Roy is a good center who can help, at least until the deadline. Adam is the long term solution at 2nd line center. Eakin then becomes your 3rd line center and you've got a year for the kids in Austin to develop. Team won't be great but they could then move Morrow, Ryder, Robidas or even Lehtonen at the deadline to bring in more pieces.

That probably gets you a top five pick and a guy like Sean Monahan, who's better than Couturier.
Nobody is going to trade Roy and Adam for Ott, and I don't know where this is coming from. IIRC somebody suggested Ott and Morrow for Roy and Adam, but I would be very surprised if the Sabres offered that much.

Mr Misty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:59 AM
  #297
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Team ϶(o)ϵ
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas A&M
Country: Latvia
Posts: 22,213
vCash: 500
I'd rather throw money at Parise now and draft Jones if we suck.

Iono why, but I'm not sold on Adam either.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:24 PM
  #298
Bench
Moderator
Coffee. Pie. Owls.
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Twin Peaks
Posts: 8,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Not to harp on it, but Benn will probably end up with Ott again even in those nice offensive zone starts all so Ott can win the faceoff for him. Offensive zone starts aren't so great if you can't win a draw.
Hey McClure, did you read that part where removing Ribeiro will somehow help the team by making Benn magically better?

Same tune, different year.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:38 PM
  #299
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Hey McClure, did you read that part where removing Ribeiro will somehow help the team by making Benn magically better?

Same tune, different year.
I don't think anyone's actually claiming the team is better now than it was. Removing Riberio has side effects yes, but they don't add up to what he provided.

Will the replacement they get + other benefits equal more than he provided? That remains to be seen. Say they add a 50 point Roy and a real checking line, letting Benn take more offensive zone starts and add another 10 goals to his line. Then having a 2nd line who isn't a black hole defensively prevents 10 goals on the season. That's a scenario that could add up.

Obviously in a void removing Riberio isn't better for the team. Good thing it doesn't work like that.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:03 PM
  #300
Bench
Moderator
Coffee. Pie. Owls.
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Twin Peaks
Posts: 8,524
vCash: 500
Well sure, if you add some fantasy players and give Benn more goals things look pretty good.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.