Old
06-23-2012, 06:48 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletor View Post
explain yourself please
You're talking about a sad day for the Caps organization, Ovechkin wanting out and lamenting, Riberio faults and blah blah blah. Why do we care? He's not on our team anymore.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
explain yourself please
They don't take kindly to strangers 'round these parts, partner.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:50 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Just seems strange a guy with 4 posts to his name is telling us Stars fans how bad Riberio is for the Caps.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Just seems strange a guy with 4 posts to his name is telling us Stars fans how bad Riberio is for the Caps.
Oh I agree. I'm enjoying the show

Old
06-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Skeletor
Rookie User

Quote:
whats your problem? why are you so frustrated? i'll say what ever the hell i want to say on this board, do you own it? this is the board topic: DAL trades Ribeiro to WSH for Eakin/2nd round pick in 2012

who made you the boss around here?

Skeletor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:54 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Quote:
whats your problem? why are you so frustrated? i'll say what ever the hell i want to say on this board, do you own it? this is the board topic: DAL trades Ribeiro to WSH for Eakin/2nd round pick in 2012

who made you the boss around here?

Old
06-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Skeletor
Rookie User

Quote:

Old
06-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Everybody has tons of money. There's not tons of money players hitting free agency. The math doesn't add up. Many teams will be left with $10 million in cap space.

We'll see who the clowns are when all the big names flock to Pittsburgh and Detroit.
we don't need the big names. Every year there are low key UFA's that for whatever reason haven't been put in the right situation to have success with their previous team. We hit it big with Michael Ryder last year and they can do it again with any number of options available on the free agent market or through trade this year.

**like for example maybe our 2nd line center next year is a guy that doesn't have Mike Ribeiro's skills and we're short 30 to 40 points because of it. Well that's alright, just upgrade 2 or 3 other positions and you can make that scoring back while getting younger and stronger on the defensive end. People have to start thinking about all the interesting oppurtunities these kind of moves open up for Dallas rather than just looking at the names in the trade, because that's not all there is to these deals.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Skeletor
Rookie User

Quote:
is this what goes on on this website, when you wanna engage in intelligent conversations you have jerks like this busting balls?

Old
06-23-2012, 07:03 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Quote:
is this what goes on on this website, when you wanna engage in intelligent conversations you have jerks like this busting balls?
All I'm saying is I think you're talking to the wrong group of fans about how bad this is for the Caps. Your opinion seems better suited for the Caps forum, not the people who just got rid of the "cancer" you so hate. He's not our problem anymore.

If I'm being a jerk (which is possible), you're being a ditz.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:22 PM
FrailSwan

Quote:
All I'm saying is I think you're talking to the wrong group of fans about how bad this is for the Caps. Your opinion seems better suited for the Caps forum, not the people who just got rid of the "cancer" you so hate. He's not our problem anymore.

If I'm being a jerk (which is possible), you're being a ditz.
.................................................. ...............^^^^

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
we don't need the big names. Every year there are low key UFA's that for whatever reason haven't been put in the right situation to have success with their previous team. We hit it big with Michael Ryder last year and they can do it again with any number of options available on the free agent market or through trade this year.

**like for example maybe our 2nd line center next year is a guy that doesn't have Mike Ribeiro's skills and we're short 30 to 40 points because of it. Well that's alright, just upgrade 2 or 3 other positions and you can make that scoring back while getting younger and stronger on the defensive end. People have to start thinking about all the interesting oppurtunities these kind of moves open up for Dallas rather than just looking at the names in the trade, because that's not all there is to these deals.
What do you expect? People to predict the future trades and production of budget players?

Right now, the roster looks like it's headed for a lottery pick. Maybe that changes. But signing a few guys at $3 million a piece isn't going to hide the fact the Stars only have 1 scoring center (and he was converted) and the same defense that failed to get it done for years now. We heard the same things last year when Dallas lost Richards, "Now they have more depth that will make up his loss! We'll be better without him!" Didn't happen.

We've seen the team go from having guys like Richards, Ribeiro, and Modano down the middle... to Benn, Ott, and Fiddler. That former lineup couldn't get it done, so what's the thinking that the latter will fare any better?

I'm all for hope, but at least admit that the roster is in dramatic need of repair or else it's going to be a long season.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:
You're talking about a sad day for the Caps organization, Ovechkin wanting out and lamenting, Riberio faults and blah blah blah. Why do we care? He's not on our team anymore.
Its an angry habs fan don't poke it

Bennrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:

I would argue that the market for UFAs is very thin. There isn't a ton of supply but a huge demand, especially given the amount of cap space many teams have. I wish there were some interesting opportunities either as UFAs or in trades, but I am unable to come up with much. Upgrading 2 or 3 other positions was necessary before the trade, and I struggle to think of a player who can legitimately produce like Ribeiro that would sign in Dallas.

While I don't entirely agree with this:

Quote:
Right now, the roster looks like it's headed for a lottery pick.
I do agree with this:

Quote:
I'm all for hope, but at least admit that the roster is in dramatic need of repair or else it's going to be a long season.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Alistar

Quote:
What do you expect? People to predict the future trades and production of budget players?

Right now, the roster looks like it's headed for a lottery pick. Maybe that changes. But signing a few guys at $3 million a piece isn't going to hide the fact the Stars only have 1 scoring center (and he was converted) and the same defense that failed to get it done for years now. We heard the same things last year when Dallas lost Richards, "Now they have more depth that will make up his loss! We'll be better without him!" Didn't happen.

We've seen the team go from having guys like Richards, Ribeiro, and Modano down the middle... to Benn, Ott, and Fiddler. That former lineup couldn't get it done, so what's the thinking that the latter will fare any better?

I don't think people were saying we'd be better off without Richards. I do remember a bunch of chicken littles running around proclaiming that without Richards Dallas would be the worst team in the conference, and indeed that was where they were picked most often in all of the polls on HF boards and in many pre season projection magazines. Thay didn't happen.

and no I don't expect that anyone can predict what the results of our signings and trade activity will be, but recognize that this Ribeiro transaction does open up 4 million dollars + that we wouldn't have had before yesterday to make those additions, so it doesn't make sense to put a final analysis on this trade and declare Dallas done and dusted until the most important piece of the trade is finalized - what will Dallas do with the money?

We have many pieces leaving this year - Ribeiro, Souray, Burish, Dowell, Petersen, Dvorak, and maybe 1 or 2 more I'm forgetting about. With additional trades there may be more out the door. You can't convince me that Dallas can't find replacements for guys like Souray and major improvements over guys like Burish, Petersen, and Dvorak. We can afford to take a hit at one position if the roster as a whole improves.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Captain Awesome

Well listen, this conversation isn't constructive until you can name some names. Who do you suggest we replace them with that are UFAs we can realistically acquire?

Captain Awesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:07 PM
FrailSwan

Dennis Wideman in for Souray

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
I don't think people were saying we'd be better off without Richards. I do remember a bunch of chicken littles running around proclaiming that without Richards Dallas would be the worst team in the conference, and indeed that was where they were picked most often in all of the polls on HF boards and in many pre season projection magazines. Thay didn't happen.

and no I don't expect that anyone can predict what the results of our signings and trade activity will be, but recognize that this Ribeiro transaction does open up 4 million dollars + that we wouldn't have had before yesterday to make those additions, so it doesn't make sense to put a final analysis on this trade and declare Dallas done and dusted until the most important piece of the trade is finalized - what will Dallas do with the money?

We have many pieces leaving this year - Ribeiro, Souray, Burish, Dowell, Petersen, Dvorak, and maybe 1 or 2 more I'm forgetting about. With additional trades there may be more out the door. You can't convince me that Dallas can't find replacements for guys like Souray and major improvements over guys like Burish, Petersen, and Dvorak. We can afford to take a hit at one position if the roster as a whole improves.
I'll say it again. If money was a factor at all, Gaglardi should just sell the team to Hicks. Free up $4 million... Just rediculous talk.

As for Richards, there were plenty of fans thinking the gaggle of free agent depth players would make the team better than having Richards. Of course, that was silly talk. The Stars were going to suck either way because the team needed to add that depth around Richards and not to replace him.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
I'll say it again. If money was a factor at all, Gaglardi should just sell the team to Hicks. Free up $4... Just rediculous talk.
and I'm not sure what you're not understanding about this. They have a budget - whether it's the league imposed maximum budget of $70,000,000 or anything else between the cap floor and the cap ceiling, that number doesn't change no matter what moves they make.

like before the Ribeiro trade let's say for the sake of simplicity they had $40,000,000 salary assigned to 15 players, their budget is $60,000,000. They need to add 8 players to the team for a maximum of $20,000,000 to fill out the 23 man roster.

now after trading Ribeiro for a guy that only makes $700,000 they have $35,700,000 for 15 players. They still need to add 8 more players, but they have $24,300,000 to do it so they now have the oppurtunity to add better players than they could afford before. That additional talent they can bring on will help to make up for the intial drop in talent from Ribeiro to Eakins.

is this getting through to anyone? I don't know how to explain it any better than this.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:48 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
and I'm not sure what you're not understanding about this. They have a budget - whether it's the league imposed maximum budget of $70,000,000 or anything else between the cap floor and the cap ceiling, that number doesn't change no matter what moves they make.

like before the Ribeiro trade let's say for the sake of simplicity they had $40,000,000 salary assigned to 15 players, their budget is $60,000,000. They need to add 8 players to the team for a maximum of $20,000,000 to fill out the 23 man roster.

now after trading Ribeiro for a guy that only makes $700,000 they have $35,700,000 for 15 players. They still need to add 8 more players, but they have $24,300,000 to do it so they now have the oppurtunity to add better players than they could afford before. That additional talent they can bring on will help to make up for the intial drop in talent from Ribeiro to Eakins.

is this getting through to anyone? I don't know how to explain it any better than this.
The problem?

There aren't even 8 players available worth 3M, much less 8 that we'll be acquiring.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
The problem?

There aren't even 8 players available worth 3M, much less 8 that we'll be acquiring.
well maybe it's picking up a guy like Jay Bouwmeester or Rick Nash in a trade. There's more oppurtunities to add salary than just free agency, and in any way the Stars choose to fill out their roster the extra money will help.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:08 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
well maybe it's picking up a guy like Jay Bouwmeester or Rick Nash in a trade. There's more oppurtunities to add salary than just free agency, and in any way the Stars choose to fill out their roster the extra money will help.
We don't have the assets for that though.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:11 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
We don't have the assets for that though.
As I've said before, I guarantee we'll be taking a contract from a team who has to restructure after the new CBA comes to term. Lites and Joe have both mentioned that as a luxury this team will be able to make with its flexible cap space.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

I understand your point Alistar. Our point though is 3.5 million isn't going to make a huge difference and they were already going to spend money regardless. Saving 3.5 million is chump change and will not be the reason this club signs one more guy. The money's there if needed but right now even on a spending spree we don't look close to the cap and may not be much above whatever the floor is now.

The team is worse off today. There aren't many good FA options and now the Stars have one less trade chip to help remake the roster. I personally am not upset by this. I'd rather be bad but have direction (younger, more skilled, adding to the group of guys who are going to remake this franchise) than be mediocre and trying to take this same roster with minor tweaks to try to make the playoffs this year.

If JN can swing some amazing deals good on him and us. But if that doesn't happen then Eakin is part of the group that's probably 2-3 years away and hopefully by being bad they bring in a no doubt blue chip prospect next June. This may be the year to see who's part of the future and whether guys like Glennie can hack it.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote