HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Welcome to Montreal, Alex Galchenyuk!!!!!!

View Poll Results: Where should Galchenyuk play in 2012-13 ?
OHL 120 34.29%
NHL 69 19.71%
9 games then back to OHL 161 46.00%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2012, 10:25 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
We just scored a hat trick with only 1 shot on net.
So pumped.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
What a ****ing kid..

"I just got drafted by the Montreal Canadiens, thereís no vacations anymore," Galchenyuk said minutes after being selected. "Iíll be in the gym in a couple of days."

"I knew what kind of skill I bring, what kind of player I am. Definitely the scouts knew what kind of player I am," Galchenyuk said. "I kept working hard, I played a couple of games at the end of the year and showed what Iím capable of doing, I went to the combine and showed my kneeís 100 per cent. I knew there were going to be no issues."

"I guess Iím going to start French classes in a couple of days," Galchenyuk said.

"I just love to play hockey and Iíll love to play hockey for the Montreal Canadiens, hopefully in the near future," he said. "I just canít wait."
Talk is talk but..well, you can't have a better introduction than that. I'm a bit concerned the myth of this guy has overwhelmed the player, but you really can't get a more perfect fit.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Congratulations to Alex Galchenyuk for becoming a Habs today. It's a great night for us fans and our organization. The best pick of the night.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

I'm honestly ecstatic.

06-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Protest the Hero

Has their been a first round pick made the by the Habs that has been so universally loved recently?

Old
06-22-2012, 10:28 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Amazing! Very happy with this pick obviously, he really seems like a character person.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:29 PM
Gomez91

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
If that's your way of thinking, clearly you're oblivious to the importance of Plekanec to this team.
I don't see how you can hold on to Plekanec with such gusto he is a great defensive center not that good overall offensive given his chance (one being the Jacques Martin Pleks point of the powerplay) yes you can say injuries but don't hide under that all the time he is what he is great defensive center and slight offensive but not consistent if Montreal could scoop a solid winger fine if not UFA if possible but face facts Pleks is a guy we will lose dearly but is he hard to replace no but is he already with a fresh and a younger eller. Pleks is good but a good defensive center is not what Montreal needs now.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:29 PM
BobbyFischer*

I want Galchenyuk habs jersey ASAP!!!

Old
06-22-2012, 10:32 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Talk is talk but..well, you can't have a better introduction than that. I'm a bit concerned the myth of this guy has overwhelmed the player, but you really can't get a more perfect fit.
If anything, our scouting staff has shown it wont be overwhelmed by external pressure.

Old
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardking89 View Post
I was at the draft party at the Bell Center and the cheers from the crowd after Murray was taken by Columbus was amazing. I was so happy that he was there at 3 and we took him. What pissed me off was the first question asked by the fool on RDS was if he was going to learn French. Really? That's the most important issue here? Not the fact that we may have finally gotten our franchise center? The French media really need to chill on the damn language crapola.
You'd figure that with team not winning the Stanley Cup in almost two decades the first question would be: what are the skills you believe you can add to help make this team a winner again.

But that may be expecting too much from this lot.

Old
habscup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez91 View Post
I don't see how you can hold on to Plekanec with such gusto he is a great defensive center not that good overall offensive given his chance (one being the Jacques Martin Pleks point of the powerplay) yes you can say injuries but don't hide under that all the time he is what he is great defensive center and slight offensive but not consistent if Montreal could scoop a solid winger fine if not UFA if possible but face facts Pleks is a guy we will lose dearly but is he hard to replace no but is he already with a fresh and a younger eller. Pleks is good but a good defensive center is not what Montreal needs now.
Plekanec is our most consistent player, are you seriously questioning his consistency?

Old
06-22-2012, 10:33 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Well now we know that WTK wont hurt himself or anyone else tonight...

Old
06-22-2012, 10:33 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Well now we know that WTK wont hurt himself or anyone else tonight...
Great night for me.. Habs get Gally.. and there's hope with this girl yet.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:34 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

At last, the hockey gods give us a break. Thanks Columbus for picking Murray.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:34 PM
CupofOil

Great pick for you guys. I was really hoping that the Oilers would take Galchenyuk if they passed on Yakupov, he could very well turn out to be the best all around player in the draft when all is said and done.
Well done Habs.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:35 PM
thewall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Anyone been able to put Galchenyuk on Montreal in NHL 12? I tried and it said no, he's underage. Is there a way around this?
create a team with all the players drafted today and then just make a trade with that team in transactions... thats how i was able to get the players drafted last year in NHL11...

Old
06-22-2012, 10:35 PM
ClasslessGuy

omg reading rds talkback on Galchenyuk is just pissing me off I will stop...

Old
06-22-2012, 10:36 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscup View Post
Plekanec is our most consistent player, are you seriously questioning his consistency?

I wouldnt question it personally but he will be trade bait at the deadline next Feb.

Gally could be 1-2 years away from playing a big role on this team, Eller could step in and be more of a shut down center.

Pleks will be redundant very soon IMO.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
Bergevin said Galchenyuk was his man since day 1. Possibly this means he had Gal > Nail. Just like what I had in mind.

Nail may have a better start with better linemates but I predict Gal will be a more complete player in the long term.
Bergevin probably said that because he assumed Nail wouldn't be available and Galchenyuk would realistically be his target. I wonder whom he would have chosen if Columbus (or perhaps Toronto via trade) had drafted him.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 06-22-2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
06-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Alex galchenyuk ‏@AGally94

So happy to be a part of Montreal canadiens !!! #Habsnation
We're happy as well Alex.

Old
Bullsmith

This draft sure seems to have worked out for the Habs. No doubt some of the D drafted today will turn out to be stars but looking at how the draft went, the GMs seems to have agreed on one thing- There was Yakupov and Gally, and then basically there was nothing but D in the top tier. Like by a mile. I don't doubt for a second T.O. would've taken Gally if he'd been there at five, meanwhile a LOT of GMs that need forwards passed on Forsberg, Grigs, TT, Faska, etc. Given that we needed a legit top-six center with offense and size above all else, and by a mile, we got really really lucky to have that pick, and to have Edm and Columbus willing to take Yak and Murray above us.

OT, but brilliant drafting by Buffallo I thought. Way to stock the org depth at center. Of course all these prospects may bust, but if you don't have picks in the system, you can't produce stars from within, Period.

Old
ROSSter

I wonder what number Gally will wear as a Hab?

Old
06-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Dharvey33

The guy is ****in already 200 lbs and will put some weight this summer.

I honestly don't see how he will not play for the habs next year guy has the size to play for the habs. To be honest i prefer him to Yakupov only because of the size and he seems way more classy than Yakupov.

Ladies and gentleman we got ourselves the most promising prospect since Damphousse. For once i have nothing to say except good job. The guy would be 1st had he not been injured.

he is to wear 94 i think the former number of Tommy Pratt

Old
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip690536#clip707297

BTW, the blonde next to Gally is so hot! Am I not the only one that noticed that right?
Didn't notice because I was hearing "greater offensive upside", "more multi-dimensional" (than Nail Yakupov) and I was reading "comparable style Anze Kopitar".

By the way, someone said he looked smaller/thinner than Nail. Doesn't look like it on this pic:

He looks a bit taller and wider. And his hands are significantly bigger than Nail's (no pun intended). He's a bigger and stronger guy, I'm convinced.

Old
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
I feel we got the most talented player in the draft. Had Gally not been injuried he might go #1 overall. Its something rare to have a player like him, center, size, great hands and vision. speed. He's a total package everything Hab fans have been dreaming about since Pierre Turgeon, Vincent Damphousse days.

"Alex is the center who makes everybody around him better and helps teams win. It begins with an excellent understanding of all the essential elements in the game. He plays a complete game and is a competitor in all the critical areas. He doesn't take shortcuts and values the plays that are important to winning. His IQ is terrific and he has the ability to size up a situation and know what must be done to take advantage either offensively or defensively. He helps his line mates take full advantage of their skills by utilizing his understanding and excellent skills to create opportunities. His puck play is outstanding and he has the ability to beat you multiple ways with his hands; either passing, stickhandling or shooting. His skating is strong and while he will not wow you with any eye catching speed, he has skating effectiveness in that he is able to change speeds and keep defenders at bay because of it. Assertive with his body and he plays in traffic well and gains advantages 1-1. Given an injury-free season, he would have been capable of dominating."
Pierre Turgeon didn't live up to expectations and was traded.

Closed Thread