HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Unofficial Rumor & Proposal Thread Part IX: Draft day moves, and beyond

View Poll Results: If EDM drafts Yakapov should EDM trade or keep Hemsky?
Trade Hemsky 59 23.89%
Keep Hemsky 188 76.11%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2012, 11:51 AM
rockinghockey

vCash: 500
Unofficial Rumor & Proposal Thread Part IX: Draft day moves, and beyond

In my last poll about if Tambo drafted Yak and signed Schultz and that is all he did would you be happy; it started out 75% said yes and 25% said no. It has now levelled out to 60% yes and 40% no.

A new question has arised from that poll:

If EDM drafts Yakapov should they trade hemsky or keep Hemsky?

Both players play the right wing, we all know that Hemsky can not play the left wing.
Yak shoots left but plays the right side. Can Yak be just as effective on the left wing?

So, I ask you my fellow Oiler fans if EDM drafts Yakapov do they trade Hemsky or keep Hemsky?

If they keep Hemsky how do they accommodate both players?
If they trade Hemsky who do they trade him to and what might to possible return be?

Old
04-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Seachd

Even if they should (which I don't agree with), I really doubt they would. They just signed him and were planning on going forward with him when they had the second pick. I don't see why it would change much just because they turned that into the first pick.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:57 AM
OilerNut*

I really wish people wouldn't put so much pressure on Yakapov and expect him to step in right away and provide constant scoring.

Old
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

not with his contract.

Old
rockinghockey

I went with trade Hemsky, the reason why I stated this is yes his value might be low now but come after 1 July where there are not many top 6 wingers he will be a valuable asset. Drafting Yak and bringing him into our organization you don't want to move him to a position that he might not be comfortable in. This is all about the future of this team and Yak is the future not Hemsky.

I also feel that Hemsky is not the type of vet we want on our team as he showed this year with his play.

I see a lot of teams having interest in Hemsky as there is not a lot of top 6 talent available and he is signed to a two year deal and 5mil is not a crazy cap hit.

Old
04-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Why would you? We would just weaken our forward lines and the idea is to strengthen them. If someone outplays him this year or in the future, fine. Otherwise, we can't afford to...

Old
04-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Not that hard to find a spot for him..If we don't move Hall to center, we keep Gagner and roll with..

Eberle-RNH-Yak
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky

Old
04-29-2012, 12:02 PM
AUAIOMRN

How can you answer this question without knowing what is coming back? Just saying "trade Hemsky" like he's some universal currency that can be exchanged for something of equal value any time you want is ridiculous.

Not to mention:
-Hemsky is probably at his lowest trade value ever
-"Wanting" to trade him immediately puts in a weak position

Old
04-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Baggers

Keep him until at least the deadline.

Let Yakupov get his feet wet first. If Yakupov is playing like the 1st overall pick come the deadline and the Oilers are out of the playoff race, trade Hemsky.

If Yakupov isn't ready for top-6 minutes, Hemsky is playing well and/or the team is in the hunt for the playoffs, keep him.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Asher

Step 1. Trade Hemsky for a top 4D.
Step 2. Sign D(oughboy) Penner.

Step 3 ????

Step 4. Profit!

Old
04-29-2012, 12:13 PM
FunkyChicken

You'd get less value now for him than what was offered at the trade deadline (from what I'm lead to believe wasn't very much). Let him play with Yakupov, pad his stats and his value then get a decent return.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:42 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Oh HFOil, don't ever change. I see that some posters have the "New Shiny Toy" syndrome again. You draft a player like Yakupov to play with a guy like Hemsky, not replace him right away plus Hemsky's value is at an all time low and the team just signed him for 2 years and it would look bad on them to trade him right away.
So who plays on the 2nd line when Hemsky gets traded? Paajarvi, a guy who is struggling in the AHL? Hartikainen? A guy who is clearly not ready for full time top 6 action? Oh joy. I guess we should start the tank slogans already.

I know that a lot of folks dislike Hemsky based on one poor season but the guy is still a quality vet who can still play at a high level with skilled linemates. His best moments last season was with Hall on his line and his worst moments were playing with the other "vets" and when Hall got injured. Move Hemsky to LW to play with Yakupov and watch him flourish.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:43 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Even if they should (which I don't agree with), I really doubt they would. They just signed him and were planning on going forward with him when they had the second pick. I don't see why it would change much just because they turned that into the first pick.
The reason why is because if they draft Yak they now have Eberle, Hemsky and Yak to play in the top 6 on LW. To me that is one too many.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:44 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I really wish people wouldn't put so much pressure on Yakapov and expect him to step in right away and provide constant scoring.
It is not the point of putting pressure on him to provide constant scoring it is about giving him minutes to play. The kid did not turn down money in the KHL to get draft and then play in the NHL and not be given a fair shot to play decent minutes.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:46 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
not with his contract.
It is 5mil for only 2 yrs, yes he had a bad year but he was coming off a surgery on the shoulder. The last 15 games he did play better. I am not saying they are going to get a huge return, maybe a 1st and prospect or a 1st and 2nd but he still has value.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:48 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
Why would you? We would just weaken our forward lines and the idea is to strengthen them. If someone outplays him this year or in the future, fine. Otherwise, we can't afford to...
It is not the point of weaken the team it is the point is the both play the right wing and Eberle is our number 1 right winger. If Yak doesn't like the LW either there is a problem with that. Some players just can't play the other wing. Remember when we had Cole here and how he did not like playing the LW. Look at how great he is playing in MON on the RW.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:52 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
Not that hard to find a spot for him..If we don't move Hall to center, we keep Gagner and roll with..

Eberle-RNH-Yak
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
If that works that is fine but Eberle likes the RW, sometimes just moving a player to the opposite wing doesnt work for them, take a look at Cole when he was here. Now your talking about taking our best player and playing him on the opposite wing. Will he be able to perform just as well and will he be comfortable playing on the opposite wing. We just can't assure that he will.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:54 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
How can you answer this question without knowing what is coming back? Just saying "trade Hemsky" like he's some universal currency that can be exchanged for something of equal value any time you want is ridiculous.

Not to mention:
-Hemsky is probably at his lowest trade value ever
-"Wanting" to trade him immediately puts in a weak position
I do agree with you on this, that is value is not at a all time high but teams that need a top 6 winger will pay more in the off season especially since he is signed to a 2 yr contract.

If we can keep Hemskey and have all 6 of our players play in the top 6 and have them comfortable on what ever wing they play on I will be very happy about that.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Oh HFOil, don't ever change. I see that some posters have the "New Shiny Toy" syndrome again. You draft a player like Yakupov to play with a guy like Hemsky, not replace him right away plus Hemsky's value is at an all time low and the team just signed him for 2 years and it would look bad on them to trade him right away.
So who plays on the 2nd line when Hemsky gets traded? Paajarvi, a guy who is struggling in the AHL? Hartikainen? A guy who is clearly not ready for full time top 6 action? Oh joy. I guess we should start the tank slogans already.

I know that a lot of folks dislike Hemsky based on one poor season but the guy is still a quality vet who can still play at a high level with skilled linemates. His best moments last season was with Hall on his line and his worst moments were playing with the other "vets" and when Hall got injured. Move Hemsky to LW to play with Yakupov and watch him flourish.
+ infinity!!!

Old
04-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Shizuka

I think this club's management already has perception issues when it comes to PR and handling players. How would the optics look to everyone on the outside, to commit 2 years to a player with a new deal and then move him in the off-season, not 4 months removed from the initial signing of the deal? It's not as if the depth is so great that we can afford to lose Hemsky on the right side, regardless of Yakupov's drafting. Yes, I understand your point regarding top 6 positions -- but I really don't think this team can afford to lose Hemsky, let alone the PR nightmare that would come with trading him after signing (i.e. committing to) him so recently. If Eberle or Yakupov goes down to injury, you're right back to scrambling with poor top 6 depth again.

I'm sure Hemsky did his due diligence with his loved ones and agent and realized what might happen here with the roster (young guys moving up and pushing for limited spots in the top 6). I'm sure the adjustment will still have to be made, mostly from a mental perspective, on having a reduced role. Yet he still signed here anyways. On some level he has come to terms with it.

Old
04-29-2012, 12:57 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
Keep him until at least the deadline.

Let Yakupov get his feet wet first. If Yakupov is playing like the 1st overall pick come the deadline and the Oilers are out of the playoff race, trade Hemsky.

If Yakupov isn't ready for top-6 minutes, Hemsky is playing well and/or the team is in the hunt for the playoffs, keep him.
This does make sense.

If Yak and Eberle are not comfortable playing LW and there for they don't produce like they could on the LW. The is the big dilema.

Old
04-29-2012, 01:03 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Step 1. Trade Hemsky for a top 4D.
Step 2. Sign D(oughboy) Penner.

Step 3 ????

Step 4. Profit!
You have far too much info there. Most people want

Step 1. Get rid of Renney, Tambo, Hemsky, Gagner, Whitney, Belanger, Eager, Smyth.

Step 2. ????

Step 3. Profit

Old
04-29-2012, 01:06 PM
s7ark

No we shouldn't. We should play them on the same line.

Old
04-29-2012, 01:13 PM
YoSoGordo

I dont know about drafting yakapov is a good idea, i heard this kid called YAKUPOV is pretty good though naw keep em both, hemsky won't get much so keep him and raise his value

Old
04-29-2012, 01:17 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

We should send Yak back to junior so we can save a year on his ELC.

#mathletes

Hemsky has no trade value anyway so the whole idea of dealing him is moot.

Closed Thread