HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our defensive prospect depth

Old
06-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Liminality

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Morgan Rielly - Top pairing potential, powerplay QB, 5th overall in 2012.
Jake Gardiner - Top pairing potential, NHL all rookie team in 2012, 17th overall in 2008.
Dion Phaneuf - #2 defenceman, physical two-way player, 9th overall in 2003.
Carl Gunnarsson - Second pairing defenceman, cerebral and consistent two-way player, 194th in 2007.
Luke Schenn - Second pairing potential, defensive player with some puck skills, 5th overall in 2008.
John-Michael Liles - Second pairing defenceman, powerplay QB, 159th overall in 2000.
Cody Franson - Second pairing potential, good size/skating, can play the PP, 79th overall in 2005.
Jesse Blacker - Second pairing potential, great skating/puck skills, 58th overall in 2009.
Stuart Percy - Second pairing potential, cerebral puck moving player, 25th overall in 2011.
Matthew Finn - Second pairing potential, smart two-way player, 35th overall in 2012.
Korbinian Holzer* - Third pairing potential, shut-down defenceman, 111th overall in 2006.
Mike Komisarek - #6/7 defensive defenceman, good leader but overpriced contract, 7th overall in 2001.
Tom Nilsson - Second pairing potential, project two-way player in Kronwall mould, 100th overall in 2011.
Petter Granberg - Third pairing potential, strictly defensive player, tremendous strength, 116th overall in 2010.
Dennis Robertson - Third pairing potential, good shot on the PP, 173rd overall in 2011.
Simon Gysbers* - AHL defenceman, good size/skating, signed as an NCAA UFA in 2010.
Mark Fraser* - AHL defenecman, defensive player, 84th overall in 2005.
Juraj Mikus* - AHL defenceman, defensive player with good size/skating, 134th overall in 2007.
Andrew MacWilliam - Depth defenceman potential, defensive player, 188th overall in 2008.
Max Everson - Depth defenceman potential, mobile defensive player, 203rd overall in 2011.
Viktor Loov - Unknown, drafted by scout Thommie Bergmann (legendary European head scout).
Eric Knodel - 3rd pairing potential, project player with good size/skating, 128th overall in 2009.

* - RFA (Restricted free agent)

How I would rank them (based on value):

01. Morgan Rielly
02. Jake Gardiner
03. Carl Gunnarsson
04. Luke Schenn
05. Dion Phaneuf
06. Cody Franson
07. Jesse Blacker
08. Stuart Percy
09. Matthew Finn
10. John-Michael Liles
11. Korbinian Holzer
12. Tom Nilsson
13. Petter Granberg
14. Andrew MacWilliam
15. Mark Fraser
16. Simon Gysbers
17. Dennis Robertson
18. Mike Komisarek
19. Viktor Loov
20. Max Everson
21. Eric Knodel

Compared to the rest of the NHL: Top 5 in terms of organizational depth.
Nice assessment which I agree with.

There definitely is a logjam around the bottom 4 for the defence and I think it's fair to assume some trades will happen. Maybe not this year but when the prospects start to mature and when the current players contracts are ending, we could see a big transition from our current D core to the next. Of course not all the players will pan out and will make the choice that much easier.

I think Rielly could potentially become a good top pairing defence with Phaneuf and hopefully Gardiner and Schenn continue to grow together and form a nice second line.

I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to the defence. They set up this logjam for the management to pick the best 6 out of the group eventually when the time comes.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 4064
Some people are really under-rating Phaneuf here IMO... He is as close to a #1Dman as we will have for the next 2 years at least... I feel like most of our Dman will look a lot better on the defensive aspect of the play with Carlyle (obviously)... But the one thing that intrigues me is that in a year or two, our top 4 if we are able to sign Schultz would be pretty good (assuming they all pan out) with:

Reilly - Schenn
Gardiner - Schultz

So while I think Phaneuf is our best dman and criminally under-rated by a lot of our fans, I think he would be the best to trade in a blockbuster for a #1C (albeit we'd have to wait a year or two or our Defense takes a HUGE hit). He's also a big name and I'm sure he would garner lots of interest... I'm pretty sure a lot of GMs didn't know he was getting traded when Burke got him, right? and that they said they would've offered something significant to get him... Thoughts?

Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
Some people are really under-rating Phaneuf here IMO... He is as close to a #1Dman as we will have for the next 2 years at least... I feel like most of our Dman will look a lot better on the defensive aspect of the play with Carlyle (obviously)... But the one thing that intrigues me is that in a year or two, our top 4 if we are able to sign Schultz would be pretty good (assuming they all pan out) with:

Reilly - Schenn
Gardiner - Schultz

So while I think Phaneuf is our best dman and criminally under-rated by a lot of our fans, I think he would be the best to trade in a blockbuster for a #1C (albeit we'd have to wait a year or two or our Defense takes a HUGE hit). He's also a big name and I'm sure he would garner lots of interest... I'm pretty sure a lot of GMs didn't know he was getting traded when Burke got him, right? and that they said they would've offered something significant to get him... Thoughts?
So you mean to say our all-star dman who carried the team on his back at the start of the season and was even being talked about as a potential Norris after the first 25-30 games and finished 11th in points for dmen is actually a # 1 dman?

I also don't get why so many people under-rate Phaneuf.

It reminds me of the Sundin talk for years and how we wasn't Sakic or Forsberg or Yzerman or even Modano. But the bigger problem was the lack of other high impact players on the team.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:17 PM
Ricky Bobby

Well there goes some of our depth to upgrade the forward group.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:35 PM
Stephen

Great news. Had to move some of that depth to patch up the holes up front.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote