Old
06-24-2012, 09:02 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
Fixed your logic for you, but I get where its coming from. Dumba is just BPA out of these imo.
Please do not try to "fix" my logic. If a fault presents itself to me, I will fix it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
I get where you are coming from, but I find that faulty logic. The diagram is a step-by-step formula.

Sure, you aren't disappointed with Dumba, but your already disappointed...

You are saying you aren't disappointed (Dumba) with the disappointment(defense)...
The problem that you are making is assuming that if I am disappointed we took a defenseman, I am automatically disappointed that we took dumba. This is not the case. I am disappointed that we took a defenseman, but of the defensemen we had to choose from, I feel we took the one that will most benefit the club.

Dislike of one step does not have to mean dislike of the following step.

I'll use an analogy. Lets say I'm going to Dairy Queen and I want a Blizzard. When I get there I learn that the mixing machine that they use to make a blizzard out of soft service ice cream is out of service for the moment. So I go with a cone dipped in butterscotch coating instead. I'm disappointed that I did not get the blizzard I wanted, but that does not prevent me from enjoying the cone I walked away with.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Please do not try to "fix" my logic. If a fault presents itself to me, I will fix it myself.
Maybe shouldn't have used the word logic, but if you're gonna do a flow chart, do it proper. But I'm a hypocrite, mine was done 10secs in MSpaint.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:15 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
So I go with a cone dipped in butterscotch coating instead. I'm disappointed that I did not get the blizzard I wanted, but that does not prevent me from enjoying the cone I walked away with.
BUTTERSCOTCHED DIPPED CONES?! SEND DAIRY QUEEN TO EUROPE PLEASE!

The only problem would be the workers' unions in western europe :/

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
The Czech announcers went with Toivo Teravainena in U18's.
They should just give up and call him "TT" or "Sharpstrom"

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
I'll use an analogy. Lets say I'm going to Dairy Queen and I want a Blizzard. When I get there I learn that the mixing machine that they use to make a blizzard out of soft service ice cream is out of service for the moment. So I go with a cone dipped in butterscotch coating instead. I'm disappointed that I did not get the blizzard I wanted, but that does not prevent me from enjoying the cone I walked away with.
Like I said again...you are happy (butterscotch/Dumba) ... with your disappointment (no blizzard/no forward)...

Does that sound weird to anyone else? You left enjoying the cone, but you still prefer the Blizzard. That is still called disappointment

However, you are being open-minded about the choice of Dumba. which is great. You are willing to accept the choice because Dumba is still a good player. You are still disappointed however ...

Disappointment

Quote:
(of a person) Sad or displeased because someone or something has failed to fulfill one's hopes or expectations.
You are displeased because the Wild failed to fulfill your hope of drafting a forward. You're dealing with it well, and willing to accept that he still brings his own talents and skills ... but again, you are still disappointed...

Anyways, this is going nowhere so you can respond and we'll leave it at that lol. Lets stay on subject here

Btw, you are a marketing machine, I want a Blizzard ...

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 0
This thread makes me

But yes, please, lets leave it at that. I have my way of thinking and you have yours.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:59 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Granted, I'm reallllly hungover; but what I got out of the last page is that Avder wants to dip Dumba in butterscotch and enjoy?

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Granted, I'm reallllly hungover; but what I got out of the last page is that Avder wants to dip Dumba in butterscotch and enjoy?
I think that was the point our debate derailed...

Old
06-24-2012, 10:35 AM
TZM
Par too easy

Maybe Dumba's smile will make you all happy.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Haite
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4443446/146704240_extra_large.jpg
How could anyone resist a kid who can levitate a puck with his sheer smile?

Haite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:39 AM
TZM
Par too easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
How could anyone resist a kid who can levitate a puck with his sheer smile?
Tell me about it. The guy could lift a truck with sheer smile muscles.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:

EDIT: Nvm, sounds very wrong. Won't comment, deleted...

Old
06-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Laughing my ass off. Dumba was my ideal pick/Peanut Buster Parfait.

Generic User is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Foxlockbox

Quote:

"Keep your head up puck!"

Old
06-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1534
Infographics and Dairy Queen analogies referring to hockey? Just another day on HFBoards.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:33 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:

The problem that you are making is assuming that if I am disappointed we took a defenseman, I am automatically disappointed that we took dumba. This is not the case. I am disappointed that we took a defenseman, but of the defensemen we had to choose from, I feel we took the one that will most benefit the club.

Dislike of one step does not have to mean dislike of the following step.

The "problem" with your logic is that it assumes that choices go in that order. This draft proved pretty mightily that GMs do not pick in that order, and there's good reason for it. The decision matrix looks at which players are available, and their position is selected from there. Put simply, there were no players on the board who should have satisfied your alleged wants in this situation. Grigs was not going to be picked by this team (just like we didn't pick up Slepyshev late) so therefore there were no first rounders on the board who were both forwards and of a shoot first mentality.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:35 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
The "problem" with your logic is that it assumes that choices go in that order. This draft proved pretty mightily that GMs do not pick in that order, and there's good reason for it. The decision matrix looks at which players are available, and their position is selected from there. Put simply, there were no players on the board who should have satisfied your alleged wants in this situation. Grigs was not going to be picked by this team (just like we didn't pick up Slepyshev late) so therefore there were no first rounders on the board who were both forwards and of a shoot first mentality.
I think Forsberg might fit that description....still think Dumba is the better player, though.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Foxlockbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I think Forsberg might fit that description....still think Dumba is the better player, though.
No elite offensive skills.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:46 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
No elite offensive skills.
I'm not sure we'll know that yet for a few years....but, from everything I've read and heard is that he is a forward with a shooter's mentality.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:46 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Forsberg definitely does not fit that description. TT would be more likely to, but he's pass first. There's a few players who were ultimately picked in the second round who would fit it, but they were second rounders.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:55 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Forsberg definitely does not fit that description. TT would be more likely to, but he's pass first. There's a few players who were ultimately picked in the second round who would fit it, but they were second rounders.
From this scouting report, it appears as though Forsberg DOES have the scorer's touch and the shoot first mentality....I didn't hear the term "play maker" or "pass first" once when they described his skills.

Filip Forsberg NHL Draft Profile

Old
06-24-2012, 12:04 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
From this scouting report, it appears as though Forsberg DOES have the scorer's touch and the shoot first mentality....I didn't hear the term "play maker" or "pass first" once when they described his skills.

Filip Forsberg NHL Draft Profile
Outside of a fluke year in SuperElit, he has never put anything much for points on the board at any level. He's not a scorer. He's a two-way guy that some people have unreasonable expectations for offensive growth. Calling him a "scorer with a shoot first mentality" would be equivalent to me calling Clutterbuck and Brodziak that same thing.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:07 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Outside of a fluke year in SuperElit, he has never put anything much for points on the board at any level. He's not a scorer. He's a two-way guy that some people have unreasonable expectations for offensive growth. Calling him a "scorer with a shoot first mentality" would be equivalent to me calling Clutterbuck and Brodziak that same thing.
Like I said, not my words, just the NHL Scouting Report on him....that's all I can go by as I decided not to renew my season ticket package for Leksands IF.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Haite
x

Quote:
Like I said, not my words, just the NHL Scouting Report on him....that's all I can go by as I decided not to renew my season ticket package for Leksands IF.
While he might have some scoring touch and a shoot-first mentality, I wouldn't draft him to fill a goal scoring role with a 7th overall pick. I personally feel like people are over-valuing his Ivan Hlinka performance a little bit, but quite frankly, I haven't really followed him at all.

Haite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Joe Cool

Did CF really have Hampus Lindholm from Sweden rated higher than Dumba. IF so he got stuck in a Blizzard.

Joe Cool is offline   Reply With Quote