Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With the #7 pick, the Wild select Mathew Dumba

Old
06-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
Prospect camp and training camp will tell us alot, if he stays along maybe take him for a 9 game ride. If he goes like 6 points in 9 +3 hes a keeper.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:40 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
He will be given a shot in camp this year. I would be extremely surprised if he made the team, but that's the starting point for your time frame.
Yup. IIRC he even said he'd like to try and make the team this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a late cut, though I'd be shocked to see him make it past preseason.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:38 PM
mplspug

I love the pick. From the little I have seen and what I have read, I love his attitude on and off the ice.

As for making the team next year, lets be real. He's going to be 18. I do think he will be on the fast track to make the club. I'll give him 2 years.

mplspug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplspug View Post
I love the pick. From the little I have seen and what I have read, I love his attitude on and off the ice.

As for making the team next year, lets be real. He's going to be 18. I do think he will be on the fast track to make the club. I'll give him 2 years.
So, and he's not that undeveloped. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play a few games in a Wild sweater before being sent down this year. Its not like we have a lot of defenseman with his skill level around.

Victorious Secret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:15 AM
IronRangeHockey

I think he spends 1 season in the WHL, but if he looks good in camp maybe he gets an early call if needed?

IronRangeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:19 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronRangeHockey View Post
I think he spends 1 season in the WHL, but if he looks good in camp maybe he gets an early call if needed?
Are they allowed to do that and still send him back to the W?

Old
06-25-2012, 12:20 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Are they allowed to do that and still send him back to the W?
He can play in the NHL as long as they want him to as long as he hasn't been sent down to anything. They can also send him back to Red Deer at any time. If he's sent back to Red Deer (which is the only other option from NHL) he cannot be recalled until Red Deer's season and playoffs are over.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:22 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
He can play in the NHL as long as they want him to as long as he hasn't been sent down to anything. They can also send him back to Red Deer at any time. If he's sent back to Red Deer (which is the only other option from NHL) he cannot be recalled until Red Deer's season and playoffs are over.
OK. But if he plays more than 8(?) games, he burns a contract year, right? I can't see the Wild going for that, with their focus on longer-term prospects this draft.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:23 AM
LordFletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
No need to get on the rook. He's just getting his post count up.

HA!

I figured it had been posted somewhere before but the NHL twitter feed just uploaded it when I added it to the forum... So needless to say, the feed from NHL on Twitter is only 36 hours behind our members

and only another 1k posts before I gain some street cred.

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:26 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
OK. But if he plays more than 8(?) games, he burns a contract year, right? I can't see the Wild going for that, with their focus on longer-term prospects this draft.
If he plays 10 or more games on his contract, it will be put into effect. With 9 or fewer games the contract will slide.

Also of note, if he plays over 40 games, it will start the clock for free agency purposes (27y/o or 7 years served) which would make him UFA two years ahead of schedule.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:28 AM
LordFletcher

I see Fletcher and Co. giving Dumba the "chance" to make the team, heck he could even get the 8 or 9 games in a Wild sweater before they send him back but I highly doubt he plays the full year here... No sense in rushing anyone.

His game looks great but I am afraid he would get injured at the NHL level till he adds another 15lbs. He needs to be around 195..... He hits hard but when you are clobbering guys bigger than you over 100 times a season, you're bound to get hurt. Let him continue to develop in Red Deer under Wallin and the Sutters and lets see what he has going for him when he nears 20.

Can't wait to see this kid play in Minnesota. I have already emailed Red Deer about buying a jersey

Old
06-25-2012, 12:31 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

While I fully expect Dumba back in Red Deer, he's only 7lbs lighter than Kronwall (according to official NHL statistics) and presumably he could easily get close to that with his work ethic and summer training.

He will likely get a shot in camp. If his defensive play and positioning is up to snuff, I don't see why the team would find it absolutely necessary to send him back. They might, especially to try stagger another contract, but I don't think there's a compelling reason they would have to unless his play isn't ready because of performance reasons.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:34 AM
LordFletcher

what do they have him listed at... what did he weigh in at the combine???

I've seen him listed at 173-185 ???? Quite the range... I just guessed he's near 180 ???

Old
06-25-2012, 12:36 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFletcher View Post
what do they have him listed at... what did he weigh in at the combine???

I've seen him listed at 173-185 ???? Quite the range... I just guessed he's near 180 ???
Combine statistics list him as 5'11.5" 184.0lbs according to media leaks (the league hasn't officially released any heights or weights). The actual NHL.com website has referred to him as 5'11.75" 183lbs. Considering the timing of the combine vis a vis the season and the NHL rounding methodology, it's best to refer to him as 6' 185lbs.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:41 AM
LordFletcher

Quote:
Combine statistics list him as 5'11.5" 184.0lbs according to media leaks (the league hasn't officially released any heights or weights). The actual NHL.com website has referred to him as 5'11.75" 183lbs. Considering the timing of the combine vis a vis the season and the NHL rounding methodology, it's best to refer to him as 6' 185lbs.
That's not too bad.

Not that I care about height as much as others do but if he tops out near 6'2 or 6'1... 200 lbs.... thats a lot of man checking you!

LOVE IT!

also curious to know what his shot has been clocked at... I heard he has a nice slapper from the point and it's accurate in getting thru traffic! We'll have to wait for the all-star game I guess

Old
06-25-2012, 12:45 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Even though I'd rather see him on the roster instead of Prosser, it's probably best for his development if he goes back to Red Deer for another year. There's just something about sending a kid who's only 17 years old into the NHL right away that I don't like one bit.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:19 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

I'm betting that he will get one season to further develop before he comes up to the majors.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:38 AM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
I'm betting that he will get one season to further develop before he comes up to the majors.
Of course he will.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:18 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
Agreed.

He already has the skating, the size, and the skills. What he needs to improve is his decision making and that will come as he slowly integrates himself into the pros.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:24 AM
Sportsfan1

He's 17 guys, almost 18. We CAN'T rush out prospects up like one of the many big critiscism's of the DR regime is rushing them into the lineup without any time to develop. Dumba needs time to develop. He needs time to not only grow and fill out, but learn how to control his game and gain confidence in minor league's still. Put him right now in the NHL an the kid will still get crushed. Got to give him at least a year to develop properly.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:11 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
I'm still in favour of giving him the 9-game window oppoturnity, looks like the kid wants to play in NHL bad so throw him a bone, but if he is outplayed and sent back he'll have fiery motivation to improve in the areas he needs to in WHL.

Edit: I'm not sure you can rush a kid by just giving him a taste in the NHL, you ruin the coinfidence when you lock them up on your roster, but sit them in the pressbox or give them pitful minutes.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:23 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
I'm still in favour of giving him the 9-game window oppoturnity, looks like the kid wants to play in NHL bad so throw him a bone, but if he is outplayed and sent back he'll have fiery motivation to improve in the areas he needs to in WHL.

Edit: I'm not sure you can rush a kid by just giving him a taste in the NHL, you ruin the coinfidence when you lock them up on your roster, but sit them in the pressbox or give them pitful minutes.
I agree with this. We'll give him the Bulmer treatment. I can't possibly see Prosser outplaying Dumba so much in camp that they're not willing to give Dumba even a sniff of the NHL experience.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:19 AM
forthewild

To me there is two factors that determine if he stays or goes, his defensive play and how he handles his offensive game during pre season. If he shows up to camp and plays good hockey there is no reason to send him back. I do think he will be on the line tho and I think the organization would lean to sending him back.

But he wants to play in the NHL, he will have NHL quality trainers to talk to and he has the drive, I will not be shocked if he plays 82 games

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:54 AM
TZM
Par too easy

I see no point of throwing him back if he plays well preseason and proves he can play at that level. As mentioned he is already an upgrage to the blueline. He's got the size and he's used to playing a physical game. He just needs to get accustomed that he'll be getting the same treatment what he's used to give.

Only if he doesn't seem to get enough TOI I don't see a reason not to at least try in the NHL. The training camp will tell where he's at.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:13 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

He's eligible for the AHL next year.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote