HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PIT/CAR] J. Staal for 8th overall (D. Pouliot), Brandon Sutter, Brian Dumoulin

Old
06-22-2012, 10:47 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Great trade for both sides.

Carolina improves their team very much with his move. 1-2 punch of E. Staal and J. Staal is scary. I think this, and a defensive or winger addition could make the Hurricanes a divisional contender. Although, Washington absolutely stole Ribeiro from Dallas, so we'll see.

I disagree with McGuire about the way it affects the East in terms of Pittsburgh. I like the move from both sides, but Staal is much better than Sutter. That said, great job by Shero nabbing Duomolin. He is a stud.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:47 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce457 View Post
yay sutter is a nice player, but lets be honest he is a 3rd line player nothing more.
Well, that's kind of why there was an 8th overall pick and a solid (at worst) prospect added to Sutter.

The Pens replaced Staal with a cheaper, younger player and got more depth in the system at the same time. Is Sutter Staal? No, but that's why there were two other (valuable) pieces added.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:53 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Question for Canes fans:

I didn't see Dumoulin involved in may proposals between our teams here on HF. Was that because you didn't want to move him? Were you just focused on roster players with proven NHL ability?

I ask because it seems like a lot of people (not just Pitt homers) are really high on him.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Hampe
The Hampster

From a neutral perspective, this is a win-win deal. Pittsburgh loses Staal, but immediatly fills the void with a great player in Sutter. Dumoulin and Pouliot are nice additions to their prospect pool. Meanwhile, the Hurricanes add an awesome player waiting for a chance to break out. I expect big things from Jordan next year.

Hampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:00 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

The Canes won the deal but it could have been worse for the Pens after some of the recent headlines. Under different circumstances the Pens probably could have gotten more but as soon as he made it clear that Carolina was where he wanted to go no other team was going to get in a bidding war.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Henrik To Daniel

This is a stupid move on the Canes part. Jordan Staal made it very clear that he was only going to sign a longterm deal with Carolina, so why the hell did they not wait for him to hit free agency in a year? If they did, they would have kept those valuable assets.

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I like the deal for both teams, but moreso for the Pens. Good hockey trade. It is about time they moved him...

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
This is a stupid move on the Canes part. Jordan Staal made it very clear that he was only going to sign a longterm deal with Carolina, so why the hell did they not wait for him to hit free agency in a year? If they did, they would have kept those valuable assets.
Dreger clearly said that the Rangers were in negotiations with the Penguins for Staal, so no, it's not stupid on our part.

We needed to make this move.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:07 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
The Canes won the deal but it could have been worse for the Pens after some of the recent headlines. Under different circumstances the Pens probably could have gotten more but as soon as he made it clear that Carolina was where he wanted to go no other team was going to get in a bidding war.
The Rangers were in on the bidding war which forced Carolina to add another piece to the deal.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Question for Canes fans:

I didn't see Dumoulin involved in may proposals between our teams here on HF. Was that because you didn't want to move him? Were you just focused on roster players with proven NHL ability?

I ask because it seems like a lot of people (not just Pitt homers) are really high on him.
Haven't watched him much, but he'll be good. Probably has to do partly with y'all saying you don't want D prospects. He is not flashy, but is very good positionally. It hurts to lose him, but we could afford it based on the player we got back.

I'd put the list of d prospects mentioned in proposals as such:
1.Faulk
2.Murphy
3.Dumoulin

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:12 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Question for Canes fans:

We were definitely high on him. Faulk and Murphy kind of took away a lot of the attention from him for various reasons, but he was still very highly thought of by most Canes fans.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:16 PM
Henrik To Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Dreger clearly said that the Rangers were in negotiations with the Penguins for Staal, so no, it's not stupid on our part.

We needed to make this move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
The Rangers were in on the bidding war which forced Carolina to add another piece to the deal.
That's why you let the Rangers have him for a year and then sign him next off season.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Quote:
I tend to agree with this but they probably didn't want to wait in case someone else got him.

That being said, I don't think this trade was really a surprise to anyone. It's been rumored and heavily backed the last few days that Staal would be traded to Carolina.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Quote:
That's why you let the Rangers have him for a year and then sign him next off season.
You know, because the Rangers would be so happy to give up assets and then not resign him.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:20 PM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor wearing goon View Post
We were definitely high on him. Faulk and Murphy kind of took away a lot of the attention from him for various reasons, but he was still very highly thought of by most Canes fans.
He deserves it. The guy is a stud defensively and with that kind of potential, hes going to end up being a top 4 D. BTW, hes got the same rating and grade as Despres on Hockey's Future.

SinfulCobraZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

http://video.hurricanes.nhl.com/vide...=686&id=182478

JR on the trade. Looks like they finished the deal at 7:20PM.

He said he left a voicemail with Jordan, and said he understands if he doesn't get back with him for a few days. Since he was just married today.

Metro Misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:25 PM
Shoofyou10

I just got back from the draft. I think this a good deal for both sides. I love J Staal and will really miss him. I wanted him to sign here long term and so did Shero apparently but Staal didn't want to stay and I feel like that's a great return (wish we would have picked foresberg though) but I like sutter a ton. I think if he wasnt going to resign then we got a good return and cleared cap. Parise or bust

Shoofyou10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:26 PM
Henrik To Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
You know, because the Rangers would be so happy to give up assets and then not resign him.
He already stated his intentions and that was to sign with Carolina when he'd become a UFA

Old
06-22-2012, 11:30 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ View Post
He deserves it. The guy is a stud defensively and with that kind of potential, hes going to end up being a top 4 D. BTW, hes got the same rating and grade as Despres on Hockey's Future.
Dumoulin was arguably one of the top college d-men in each of the 3 years he played at BC. Adding him to the deal was my biggest disappointment to be honest. He was one of the Canes few good LH d prospects. And I could see him being better than Despres, and that's not a slight on Despres at all.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
Carolina won this trade. Can't believe Pens traded Staal for spare parts and scraps.
I can't take you seriously if you think Dumoulin is a spare part/scrap.

Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Quote:
He already stated his intentions and that was to sign with Carolina when he'd become a UFA
He never stated that. It was all speculation by Bob McKenzie. People just adopted it as fact because it "made sense".

Once again, Jordan never said "I'm going to Carolina in 2013".

Old
06-22-2012, 11:34 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
There's a Staal in NYR too you know.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:34 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
NYR wouldn't have been a terrible alternative for Jordan considering Marc plays there. They would have had a good chance to resign Jordan because of that.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:36 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Word out there is that the Rangers were also on Jordan; him signing long-term in NY to play with Marc is a possibility that JR thought couldn't be overlooked so he pulled the trigger early.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
He never stated that. It was all speculation by Bob McKenzie. People just adopted it as fact because it "made sense".

Once again, Jordan never said "I'm going to Carolina in 2013".
Didn't McKenzie say that Staal said he would, if traded to Carolina, he would extend?

That didn't mean he would only sign with Carolina as a FA, or even only extend with Carolina if he were traded.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote