HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PIT/CAR] J. Staal for 8th overall (D. Pouliot), Brandon Sutter, Brian Dumoulin

Old
06-26-2012, 08:12 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tripps View Post
Nice gif, what was the question he is responding to?
I have zero idea, sorry. I just like how goofy he looks. Will fit right in.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:14 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Yesssss. He probably hopes that too now.

Old
06-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Shero didn't even seem all that high on Pouliot. When asked if the Staal trade was dependent on him (Pouliot) being available at #8, Shero answered "no".

Lol how's that for ya kid. Welcome to the club.
Considering the two agreed to the deal before the draft actually started (or shortly after...I forget the exact time, but it was well before it was announced) this shouldn't be a surprise...neither GM had a crystal ball.

The trade was a done deal for a while before Bettman announced it.

They picked the kid with the 8th overall pick, they obviously think highly of him.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:32 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

I think Shero was confident that he would be there at #8 though. There were alot of players ranked higher than him ..

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
I think Shero was confident that he would be there at #8 though. There were alot of players ranked higher than him ..
He also could have been confident of Hampus Lindholm being there. The draft is always unpredictable.

Okay, there was no way in hell Shero was going to draft a player in a European league in the first round, but that's beside the point

Old
06-26-2012, 09:27 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tripps View Post
Rutherford said on the local radio that after the season was over, Eric brought Jordan down to Raleigh, tramped him around town and worked really hard on selling him in coming to Carolina.

Thankfully, this isn't tampering. It's just two brothers hanging out.
Exactly my point. He may have been traded this year to another team but he wants more big playing time and could easily have signed with the canes next year. He won't make more than 6 mill over 10 years anywhere so he clearly wants more playing time.

If the canes want to make the playoffs this year then sign some of the many big names/solid performers out there July 1 and then get staal the next year. Don't blow all that just for one year.

And yea I am mad cause the pens set themselves up very well. But giving credit where it's due

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

The fact that Staal has another brother in New York does seem to get lost in things too easily here. Carolina obviously had the inside track on getting Jordan, but there was at least one other team in the NHL that expressed interested in acquiring him and would have been very likely to get him signed long-term. Carolina wanted Jordan and they removed any risk involved. I'd say they gave up more than I expected given Staal rejecting the Penguins' offer ...but all it takes is one other team to be involved for something to become a bidding war.

If Carolina saves their assets for next year and then proceeds to see Jordan sign with the Rangers next year then they're right back to square one. Carolina needed to make a move to improve their team and they took it. The price may have been high, but Staal is undoubtedly a better player than Sutter and the other two assets involved are prospects, not known commodities. If Dumoulin and Pouliot wind up busting then they end up looking like geniuses (see: the supposedly lopsided Hossa to Pittsburgh deal, where everyone busted for Atlanta).

Old
06-26-2012, 09:49 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
The fact that Staal has another brother in New York does seem to get lost in things too easily here. Carolina obviously had the inside track on getting Jordan, but there was at least one other team in the NHL that expressed interested in acquiring him and would have been very likely to get him signed long-term. Carolina wanted Jordan and they removed any risk involved. I'd say they gave up more than I expected given Staal rejecting the Penguins' offer...but all it takes is one other team to be involved for something to become a bidding war.

If Carolina saves their assets for next year and then proceeds to see Jordan sign with the Rangers next year then they're right back to square one.

^ This, and two other things:

1) The Rangers aren't stupid, and they probably know that if Carolina gets Jordan in the fold along with Eric & Jared, they may have a tougher time on their hands in keeping Marc Staal long-term. Yes, the Rangers would like to add another good forward like Nash, Ryan or Jordan Staal, but I also believe they had this additional motivation in wanting to provide some strategic incentive to keep Marc in the fold when he becomes a UFA. With the other 3 brothers all playing in Carolina, Marc may be tempted to join -- and I believe this fear may have given the Rangers a lot of motivation to get Jordan.

2) While this is pure speculation and I have no “source” for this, I think there is a fair chance Ray Shero used another kind of negotiating strategy with Jim Rutherford in the Staal negotiations – namely threatening to open up some kind of Tampering investigation with the NHL, and/or to push the NHL & NHLPA hard this summer for stronger Tampering investigation, as well as fighting harder to increase the UFA age/years-played criteria, which may have resulted in the chance of Jordan remaining an RFA after this season, and therefore not being a slam-dunk to sign in Carolina.

Now, I’m not suggesting that the Pens would have had any success if they opened a Tampering investigation, but the mere threat of doing so – even if Shero did the good cop/bad cop thing and said it was Lemieux/Burkle who would be pushing for this – may have become a significant interference & distraction for both teams, and I believe this situation could have become really ugly. So perhaps Shero just had such a conversation with Rutherford, which may also have provided some leverage and incentive for Caroina & Pittsburgh to handle this appropriately. I believe this aspect is what Pierre McGuire was eluding to when he said that Shero & Rutherford handled this situation with a lot of class.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:58 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
2) While this is pure speculation and I have no “source” for this, I think there is a fair chance Ray Shero used another kind of negotiating strategy with Jim Rutherford in the Staal negotiations – namely threatening to open up some kind of Tampering investigation with the NHL, and/or to push the NHL & NHLPA hard this summer for stronger Tampering investigation, as well as fighting harder to increase the UFA age/years-played criteria, which may have resulted in the chance of Jordan remaining an RFA after this season, and therefore not being a slam-dunk to sign in Carolina.
I don't even think he would have had to do that. Rutherford seems like a classy guy. Sure, he hated giving up Sutter, but he was going to make a fair offer anyway. The way the situation unfolded may have pushed him to include more than he planned/wanted though.

Add 3) JR was under some (partly self-made) pressure to land a big forward addition this summer. Not at the deadline and not next summer. Now. He knew he wasn't getting Nash or Ryan for Pitkanen and bust-looking prospects either, so he just put all his eggs in the Staal basket. A player he knew actually wanted to play in Carolina, a much needed center and someone he can basically pay whatever he wants too, it's not much of a financial risk since 80% of the franchise PR is Staal-driven as it is.

Old
06-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

The Pens were never gonna remove the centers above him so this was inevitable.

I really believe Jordan thought he was gonna make a final run with the Pens. So did I. How do you justify giving up on a player of Staal capabilities and super friendly cap hit for another season for Sutter, Dumoulin, 8th overall.

The Pens still lost this trade due to giving up the best asset, but we all knew he was a Cane the following season. All the brothers are tight, and that's one of the things I really admire them for. You can't blame them for wanting to be even closer.

We'll just have to see where this all takes each team. I certainly hope everything works out for Jordan, (easily one of my favorite players) and hope Sutter does the same here.

I'll definitely will be giving Jordan props when he returns.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Flat Stanley

I think Jordan should always be a fan favorite in Pittsburgh. I wish him well with his career in Carolina.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:05 PM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

I hope the boos are kept to a minimum when he comes back. He's done so much for us and it'd be unwarranted to boo him.

SinfulCobraZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Exactly my point. He may have been traded this year to another team but he wants more big playing time and could easily have signed with the canes next year. He won't make more than 6 mill over 10 years anywhere so he clearly wants more playing time.
Go look at Staal's minutes and then come back champ.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:28 PM
SEALBound

I think the city will welcome him back nicely. It's not like he Jagr'ed us or anything...

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 12:31 AM
Alpha
Q Up.

Glad we didn't trade Kesler for Staal.

Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote