HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Jordan Staal for #8, Brandon Sutter, Brian Dumoulin

Old
06-23-2012, 12:49 PM
FlyingSquirrels

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMardigan View Post
I guess Jordan can keep his #11 if he wants.

I am thinking the contract will get done after July 1 when we go after a UFA to finish up what we can.

I would expect 10y 70mil a year. If we don't land Parise or someone like that, I would think JR would want to do a 15mil 1st year to lower the cost in the long run. Maybe even give him 30 of the 70 in the first 3, and the 40 for 6 which would be awesome in the long run for cap space.
70mil a year? Gosh this Jordan Staal fella sure better be good.

FlyingSquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrels View Post
I wouldn't be surprised 1 bit if JR doesn't go and get Sutter again in the future. Hell, the guy will be an UFA in a year or 2, right?. JR just can't put his past relationships behind him. Kinda like still bangin a chick after you've broken up 4 or 5 times....just keep goin back.
Well of course he will. He is the most ''green" GM there is. He loves recycling.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Novacane
My Hero

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised 1 bit if JR doesn't go and get Sutter again in the future. Hell, the guy will be an UFA in a year or 2, right?. JR just can't put his past relationships behind him. Kinda like still bangin a chick after you've broken up 4 or 5 times....just keep goin back.
Nope. RFA in two years. Probably a UFA in 6+ years.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Chrispy

Quote:
Capgeek lists Sutter as an RFA in 2 years when his current contract expires.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:54 PM
FlyingSquirrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
Nope. RFA in two years. Probably a UFA in 6+ years.
So JStaal would've been an UFA at age 24 but Sutter at 30?

It seems like Sutter has played for us a long time....expected UFA status much sooner than that.

FlyingSquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Quote:
So JStaal would've been an UFA at age 24 but Sutter at 30?

It seems like Sutter has played for us a long time....expected UFA status much sooner than that.
I was saying he'd hit the market as a UFA in 6+ years. My bad. I have no clue when he loses RFA status.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:55 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Sutter is eligible to be a UFA in 2015

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:56 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
3 years til Brandon is a UFA, depending on how long of an extension Pittsburgh or whoever has him can get him to agree to when this current one is up.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
70mil a year? Gosh this Jordan Staal fella sure better be good.
Oops, ment' 10y for 70mil.

Metro Misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:23 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

7 years 40-42 M for Jordan, something around that lines.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:36 PM
TheBigKahuna

Hell no....that's way too high.

He'll end up around 5-6 per year for 4-5 years. Anything more is stupid....we're already severely overpaying Ruutu and Gleason, and will have to pay Skinner $5+ million next year. And the Canes are still short a top line winger.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Eric's take:

Quote:
Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip
Staal sad Brandon Sutter is leaving Canes. Said he and Sutter had grown close, saying, "I told him he was like my brother without my blood."

Eric Staal: "I won't lie. I've wanted to play with him since he broke into the league. He's a great player and a great person."

Just talked to Eric Staal. Lot of excitement in his voice as he talked about Jordan coming to the Canes.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Stahl2Stall
LOTTERY RALLY TEXT

Brandon Sutter pls come back in 2 years

Stahl2Stall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:11 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Just talked to Eric Staal. Lot of excitement in his voice as he talked about Jordan coming to the Canes.
I don't think I've *ever* heard excitement in Eric's voice. The guy is as dead-panned as they come...

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:39 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

From this Pens fan and Thunder Bay-ite: Enjoy. Jordan Staal's best years are ahead of him!

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Penguinzilla

Life-long Pens fan here who also now lives in NC, about 10 minutes from the PNC arena.. Sad to see Jordan go but I'm excited that he went to the Canes and I can watch him in person. I'm definitely nervous about his ability to blow Canes fans away with his talent (don't expect TOO much). He's a BEAST physically, but his hands and vision are just OK. He's got a great shot, though. He's never had the chance to be a #1 or #2 guy, it'll be fun to watch him. He's rarely on the PP in Pitt and I'm looking forward to see what he can do on the PP. I imagine him in front of the net or something with his size. Faulk and his bro will have to get him the puck.

Penguinzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:53 PM
geehaad

Not that I don't appreciate the sentiment, but I do think it's funny how many are telling us what kind of player the Canes have now got in Jordan Staal. Like we aren't already pretty darn familiar with the brothers Staal.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:09 PM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguinzilla View Post
Life-long Pens fan here who also now lives in NC, about 10 minutes from the PNC arena.. Sad to see Jordan go but I'm excited that he went to the Canes and I can watch him in person. I'm definitely nervous about his ability to blow Canes fans away with his talent (don't expect TOO much). He's a BEAST physically, but his hands and vision are just OK. He's got a great shot, though. He's never had the chance to be a #1 or #2 guy, it'll be fun to watch him. He's rarely on the PP in Pitt and I'm looking forward to see what he can do on the PP. I imagine him in front of the net or something with his size. Faulk and his bro will have to get him the puck.
I have been a season ticket holder for years and I will be surprised if Staal lives up to the hype I am hearing. Staal really is no better when playing in a top 2 spot. I will be surprised if he becomes a point a game player but it could happen. 2 years ago he had his chance for top line and PP time and he was no better point producer than when he was a 3rd line player and 2nd PP unit. Staal could not improve his numbers because he saw the other teams better D pairings. Staal's points are against other teams lesser dmen because the top 2 pairings are matching against the Crosby and Malkin lines.

Staal is a good #2 center but his offensive upside is limited. Staal has a slow stick and slow feet (first several steps). His hand eye coordination is not great and that is why the Pens used guys like Kunitz and other average top 6 players over him on the top PP. Staal has his strengths with his size and defensive abilities but I will be surprised if he does better than his pace last year which was pretty good but against inferior D pairings.

I LOVED what we got for him so I am glad we are both happy.

CrosbyMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

His pace last year was for 65 points over an 82 game season, so if he can keep up that pace than I will be very happy.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:51 PM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tripps View Post
His pace last year was for 65 points over an 82 game season, so if he can keep up that pace than I will be very happy.
I hope he can do that for you guys. I wish the best for him and the Canes. I hope for the Canes and Panthers to do well and that the Caps get a whoopin. I just never felt Jordan's offensives upside was that high and like I said I will be surprised if he does better than his output he is at now. I bet he is below average as a PP top unit guy and that you will find you have better options than him on your team most likely.

CrosbyMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

if that's the case then we must be adding Parise cause most of last year's forwards on the team blew on the PP.

While I'm not a fan of the overall deal, this is no doubt a team where Jordan will have every opportunity to have a breakout season. The pressure will be huge especially if the canes dont make another big move.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

I wouldn't be surprised if he is below average- his best year on the PP was last year, where he produced 1 PPP for every 17 and a half minutes of PP time, which is fairly mediocre.

Though it's better than Ruutu's 35.5 minutes to produce a PP point, so I think we can manage Staal on the PP (he still loses to Jokinen (12.3), Staal (12.5) and Skinner (16.5), Skinner by barely a minute).

For comparisons sake, Claude Giroux gets a PP point roughly once every 8 minutes, Malkin every 9.5 minutes and James Neal every 10.4 minutes.

Conclusion: Jordan Staal's PP stats are awful, though that MAY be because of his crap PP time on the second unit (he still vastly outproduced Kennedy and Cooke, whom he played with on the PP), but even so he is still a better option than Ruutu.

Last edited by Finlandia WOAT: 06-23-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old
06-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

For some reason, I expect a huge year from the PP. Under Kirk, the guys had a plan and most times they had some great scoring chances. Plus, I'd assume we'd see both Staal's on the same PP line.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:49 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

To my understanding, in my discussions/arguments with Pens fans, Jordan's PP time was almost entirely clean-up duty. Basically the unit you send out after you know the PP has failed and want to have someone who can handle the momentum swing from the other team off the successful PK.

If there's truth to that, Jordan should produce a lot more on the PP here

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
To my understanding, in my discussions/arguments with Pens fans, Jordan's PP time was almost entirely clean-up duty. Basically the unit you send out after you know the PP has failed and want to have someone who can handle the momentum swing from the other team off the successful PK.

If there's truth to that, Jordan should produce a lot more on the PP here
I believe that is correct, but at the same time that does not mean we can just assume that Jordan is a PP producer. Context is nice, but the fact is that Jordan did not do anything on the PP in Pittsburgh.

Playing on the PP is totally different than playing at ES. ES is all about transition (something that Jordan, with size and speed, is very good at) while the PP is about finding holes and working with limited space.