HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Jordan Staal for #8, Brandon Sutter, Brian Dumoulin

Old
06-24-2012, 12:31 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4057
I don't think anyone is realistically expecting Staal to produce upwards of 80 points (except for a couple of Pittsburgh morons, and Canes Facebook fans). But I do think 65 is reasonable. And in this NHL, 65 points is borderline All-Star caliber production, and that's ignoring Staal's defensive game.

I'm not going over the top with my expectations for Staal. 65 points would be phenomenal, and well worth the price we paid. That's 30 goals 35 assists from a soon-to-be 24 year old. I think it's just greedy to expect more...

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:52 AM
geehaad

vCash: 500
So would 65 points be reasonable or phenomenal?

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:01 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
So would 65 points be reasonable or phenomenal?
somewhere in between, I think 65 points with Selke level defence would be a pretty good first season. Are Canes fans leaning towards him playing with Eric or Skinner?

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:06 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
somewhere in between, I think 65 points with Selke level defence would be a pretty good first season. Are Canes fans leaning towards him playing with Eric or Skinner?
Not sure yet, there was a lot of speculation that JR wanted him and Eric on the same line in the media, but he crushed that not long after the trade by saying "I'll leave it to Kirk to decide on what the lines look like".

Personal preference:
Jokinen - E Staal - UFA
Skinner - J Staal - Ruutu

Jokinen and Tlusty are the only two semi-high end forwards that seem to work well with Eric.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

Not looking forward to rooting for the pens but c'est la vie. Glad we got a hockey player for once.

Anton H Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:37 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Not sure yet, there was a lot of speculation that JR wanted him and Eric on the same line in the media, but he crushed that not long after the trade by saying "I'll leave it to Kirk to decide on what the lines look like".

Personal preference:
Jokinen - E Staal - UFA

Jokinen and Tlusty are the only two semi-high end forwards that seem to work well with Eric.
Definitely the best linemates he's had since his rookie year.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:02 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

I think, long term, 70 on a line with Skinner (who I think has 85+ potential to be honest) isn't out of the question, but I'd say 65 this coming season is a good bet.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:45 AM
wej20

I think Skinner would work well with Jordan, Jordan doesn't need the puck on his stick all the time.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
To my understanding, in my discussions/arguments with Pens fans, Jordan's PP time was almost entirely clean-up duty. Basically the unit you send out after you know the PP has failed and want to have someone who can handle the momentum swing from the other team off the successful PK.

If there's truth to that, Jordan should produce a lot more on the PP here
he definitely was not given good powerplay time. I think he can become a very good shooter that will be very difficult to knock away from the puck or out of the slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
This is where I'd keep my hopes down a bit. His defense definitely declined as his offense improved. He hasn't been a Selke level defensive forward since Sid went down. Hopefully as he gets used to the role he can balance the two.

As far as lines go, I picture him playing very well with Skinner. And him and Eric ever out together will just be a nightmare to handle physically.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post

Personal preference:
Jokinen - E Staal - UFA

That 2nd line is NASTY

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:55 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
That 2nd line is NASTY
If we can just get a decent winger, we actually have a really nice looking top 6. And in the scheme above, we'd have respectable 3rd line wingers in Tlusty and LaRose.

If we can just plug that hole at 3C, find a winger, get some growth out of Charlotte... ok, so the list is still pretty long

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:02 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Wrong thread

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:03 PM
FlyingSquirrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
If we can just get a decent winger, we actually have a really nice looking top 6. And in the scheme above, we'd have respectable 3rd line wingers in Tlusty and LaRose.

If we can just plug that hole at 3C, find a winger, get some growth out of Charlotte... ok, so the list is still pretty long
I think our 3C will be filled by Welsh, and very well filled I bet. Put Bowman and Tlusty/LaRose next to him and it might a nice little spark plug of a line.

On another note, is Chris Terry EVER going to get a decent look at a LW spot? He has put up points in the "A" and is sound in his own end (a nice recipe for a 3rd line spot) .....would love to see him force Muller into finding a spot for him.

FlyingSquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:04 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Why are the such big hopes for welsh? I don't understand

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:06 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

This team always seems to be at its best with a two-way 2nd line, which Tlusty-Jordan-Jokinen is capable of being, but that would leave a Skinner-Eric-Ruutu top line and we all remember what a disaster that was when we tried it last year. Zero defensive presence.

Old
06-24-2012, 03:13 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
Why are the such big hopes for welsh? I don't understand
I don't either. He has a lot to prove still, including whether he even belongs in the NHL.

FlyingSquirrels... I forget about Bowman sometimes. If he can elevate his game just a half-step, he could be really useful in our bottom-6.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

Jokinen//Eric//Semin-Jagr-Penner
Skinner//Jordan//Ruutu

Yes please

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Aquin001 on Ice

So I guess I'm the only one that would be happy to see Tlusty play on the 1st line with Eric again?

Aquin001 on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

I think Tlusty was the beneficiary of a "hot" Staal. Similar to LaRose in years past. When Staal's on his game, his wingers are going to pick up points regardless.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

No, you aren't. If we sign Whitney I hope he isn't used on the first line. We need speed and/or size, preferably both. Whitney brings neither. Tlusty has the speed that was lost when Cole left, which is key to E Staal's game, so I'd much rather he be used there of the two. I'd also prefer him there over Jokinen. Eric's game really seemed to take off once he got Tlusty on his wing to open things up for him.

No Whitney on the 1st line. No Skinner on the 1st after that failed experiment. That makes Skinner 2nd line, and means the only place we'd have for Whitney would be the 3rd line LW. Might be used as a veteran presence mentor for Welsh? Otherwise I don't really see a place on the team for Whitney.

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4057
Tlusty on the first line, whether true chemistry or just a beneficiary of a hot Staal, is the only winger proven to do anything at all with Staal. I say keep him up there, run a top 6 of:

Tlusty - Staal - FA
Skinner - Staal - Ruutu

Then, Jokinen's on the third line, and we actually could have more than two lines that can put pucks in the net. The third line should be Jokinen, Larose, and one of Bowman and Welsh, whichever impresses more in camp. If it's Welsh, Jokinen plays wing. If it's Bowman, Jokinen plays center. If we sign a SECOND FA winger, put him there. For that slot, a "Poni-like" signing would not be the end of the world. Even better, maybe Stewart comes back to 2010-2011 form, and is effective next to Jokinen and Larose.

Either way, this Staal trade gives us options we haven't had in a long time. It's really very exciting. REALLY excited for July 1st, I'd expect us to make our 4th line signing right on July 1st, and our winger signing a within a couple of days after.

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:44 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Tlusty- Staal- winger
Skinner- Staal- Ruutu
Jokinen- Welsh/ Dalpe/ Brent- Larose
Bowman- Brent/Nash- Tootoo

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Gr8Dan

Parenteau anyone? Right handed playmaker. Only thing is that he will command 6Million+

Gr8Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Dan View Post
Parenteau anyone? Right handed playmaker. Only thing is that he will command 6Million+
If he does, I doubt he finds himself a contract unless somebody gets too desperate. (I'm looking at you, JR)...I'm saying this because I don't think he's proven enough to command that much money. But free agency does have its fair share of surprises.

But yes, I've wanted Parenteau for about two months now.

Tlusty-Eric-Parenteau
Skinner-Jordan-Ruutu
Jokinen/Bowman-Welsh/Jokinen-LaRose
xxx(Nodl/Stewart/UFA)-Brent-Dwyer
Nodl/Stewart

Head Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Gr8Dan

Career high 67 points and a very thin UFA market, he's gonna get paid

Gr8Dan is online now   Reply With Quote