HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Staal for #8, Brandon Sutter, Brian Dumoulin

Old
06-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Dan View Post
Career high 67 points and a very thin UFA market, he's gonna get paid
Yet he only has two years that have really been productive at the NHL level, playing with Moulson and Tavares for almost all of this past year (I don't know about the year before)...

He'll probably get himself a hefty contract, but I don't think it would be worth paying him that much. I'd probably try to go for 4.5 million up to a maximum of 5 million...but even then it's risky.

I just don't want JR to freak out if he loses out on Nash/Parise/Ryan or whoever else he might be keyed in on now, and as a result sign somebody along the mediocre-->pretty good range for way too much money.

EDIT: Just saw you replied before I edited that prior post of mine about 3 or 4 times within five minutes.

Head Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:55 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Honestly I don't care who we sign, as long as they are capable of 25 goals or 50-60 points or so. This team with J Staal, healthy Pitkanen, and no Paul Maurice is wayyyy better than last years.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Don't like Parenteau. Gonna be Leino V2.0

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Don't like Parenteau. Gonna be Leino V2.0

Old
06-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

I still think we grab one of the young gun centers from Edmonton. We could deal McBain and open up a slot for Murphy to play,

Metro Misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:48 PM
FlyingSquirrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMardigan View Post
I still think we grab one of the young gun centers from Edmonton. We could deal McBain and open up a slot for Murphy to play,
Murphy will play anyways over McBain I bet. He's that good.

Allen and Spacek are gone with noone replacing them as of now, as it sure won't be Joslin. We will see what UFA will bring but I hope its a tough-as-nails defenseman to balance out our D corps. Too many PMD's.

FlyingSquirrels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:49 PM
impeach estaalo
timgleson

vCash: 50
I think we should trade for Crosby

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Like Our Group View Post
I think we should trade for Crosby
Straight up for Char Larose?

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
The smile factor tips that trade in Pittsburgh's favor. They can either have the better player with a decent smile, or a decent player with the better smile.

Easy choice, obviously. Char Larose is bound for Pittsburgh. Shero is awesome at trades, so he does this one right away and even gets a conditional 7th out of it from Carolina based on how many smiles Char gives the crowd per game.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
But JR raised him since a youngster.

Metro Misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:20 AM
Boom Boom Anton

I'm still a bit torn on this trade. I love that fact that the Canes have Jordan and I'm ok with Sutter and the #8 actually, even with who was left on the board. Sutter will probably score at a higher rate in Pittsburgh, but that's irrelevant and I think that's a reasonable trade when you look at Jordan vs. Sutter.

I just have a bad feeling that 5 years from now, we are going to be complaining about losing Dumoulin, unless we sign Marc Staal as a free agent. I bet Dumoulin will be in Pittsburgh's line-up full time at some point this year, and maybe even top 4. He's something we don't have in that he's big, smart, good all around player. I think he would have been a 1st or 2nd pairing shutdown defender for years.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:24 AM
Boom Boom Anton

In addition to what Bleedgreen said about JR not being a cut-throat GM and overpaying to get his guy, another reason why I think JR overpaid was simply to keep Eric happy. If you remember that quote from Spacek a while back about when he got here, Eric wanted out. I'm sure after losing Stillman, Whitney, Cole, Williams, Ladd, etc, that Eric was frustrated and JR was going to do whatever it took to keep him happy. He didn't want a situation where his star player and captain wanted to leave.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:40 AM
Joe McGrath

If in 5 years we are pissed we don't have Dumolin it's because the trade failed. The window of opportunity for this core (E. Staal/Ward/Gleason) is just about 4-5 years. If they aren't perennial contenders or win a cup, then yeah not having Dumolin and whatever they would have taken at 8 is probably going to hurt.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
If in 5 years we are pissed we don't have Dumolin it's because the trade failed. The window of opportunity for this core (E. Staal/Ward/Gleason) is just about 4-5 years. If they aren't perennial contenders or win a cup, then yeah not having Dumolin and whatever they would have taken at 8 is probably going to hurt.
Fair point. If this trade (and other moves) don't make the Canes at least a competitive playoff team with a chance to go deep into the playoffs on a regular basis, then it will have been a disappointing trade no matter who we gave up. I admit I'm a bit biased because I thought Dumoulin was finally going to be that big, all around solid, shutdown type defenseman the Canes have lacked since....well forever and I don't think it will take 5 years. My speculation is Pittsburgh wanted either Dumoulin or Murphy and Rutherford didn't have much choice.

And the side benefit is that if having Jordan makes Eric a more consistent player and motivated player, then this trade has a much bigger impact on the team than anyone traded away.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Fair point. If this trade (and other moves) don't make the Canes at least a competitive playoff team with a chance to go deep into the playoffs on a regular basis, then it will have been a disappointing trade no matter who we gave up. I admit I'm a bit biased because I thought Dumoulin was finally going to be that big, all around solid, shutdown type defenseman the Canes have lacked since....well forever and I don't think it will take 5 years. My speculation is Pittsburgh wanted either Dumoulin or Murphy and Rutherford didn't have much choice.

And the side benefit is that if having Jordan makes Eric a more consistent player and motivated player, then this trade has a much bigger impact on the team than anyone traded away.
Yeah I think it's just as important to see not only what Eric'sproduction looks like going forward but also his effort level.

I think it would be pretty amusing to have Jordan mic'd on the bench yelling at Eric to backcheck.

Unrelated note: I hate using players first names, but now I have to with these two. Pisses me right off.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:09 AM
totalkev

Quote:
Yeah I think it's just as important to see not only what Eric'sproduction looks like going forward but also his effort level.

I think it would be pretty amusing to have Jordan mic'd on the bench yelling at Eric to backcheck.

Unrelated note: I hate using players first names, but now I have to with these two. Pisses me right off.
"In the business," people like to use numbers to talk about players, even when it's easy and convenient to use their names. It's kind of an "inside" thing. So we could just refer to Eric Staal as "12" and Jordan Staal as (I'm guessing) "11."

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:14 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
"In the business," people like to use numbers to talk about players, even when it's easy and convenient to use their names. It's kind of an "inside" thing. So we could just refer to Eric Staal as "12" and Jordan Staal as (I'm guessing) "11."
That's kind of the same thing for me as the first name. That's how my teams have always worked, but when you aren't really a member of the team it feels weird. I dont know, I'm probably just a basket case.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:15 AM
bb99

vCash: 50
Did facebook ever decide if and how JStaal was going to steal away #11 from Boychuck?

bb99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:16 AM
TheBigKahuna

If Jordan doesn't make an immediate impact, and the Canes fail to make the playoffs again, then the loss of the 8th pick and Dumoulin was a complete waste. They could have had Jordan for nothing in 12 months!

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:18 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb99 View Post
Did facebook ever decide if and how JStaal was going to steal away #11 from Boychuck?
Well if Jordan shows up to camp Larose or w/e it is he can just do it then since we know Boychuk won't be there.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:19 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
If Jordan doesn't make an immediate impact, and the Canes fail to make the playoffs again, then the loss of the 8th pick and Dumoulin was a complete waste. They could have had Jordan for nothing in 12 months!
A lot can change in a year.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:25 AM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Well if Jordan shows up to camp Larose or w/e it is he can just do it then since we know Boychuk won't be there.
Not until the last few days at least. Slacker.

Honestly, after the last two seasons, if Zach can't make it to conditioning camp, and be here from day one till the last day, I'd tell him at the first day of the real training camp that he has been cut. The kid has a terrible work ethic, and does not take hockey seriously. It's time for him to $#It or get off the pot.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:36 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

It'd be amusing if Jordan does turn out to be the most talented brother after all.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:36 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

http://triblive.com/sports/2085368-8...lternate-award

Quote:
Penguins center Brandon Sutter is expected to end his silence today.

Sutter, 23, hasn’t spoken publicly since being traded from Carolina on Friday night. A Hurricanes spokesman said Saturday that Sutter was “shocked” by the trade.

Sutter became a fan favorite on and off the ice in Raleigh, N.C., and was named alternate captain at age 22. He had been rumored as part of a package for Staal during the past two months.

Sutter has been a finalist for Carolina’s “Media Good Guy” award in each of the past three seasons and was a popular presence in the Hurricanes’ locker room.

06-25-2012, 08:44 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
Not until the last few days at least. Slacker.

Honestly, after the last two seasons, if Zach can't make it to conditioning camp, and be here from day one till the last day, I'd tell him at the first day of the real training camp that he has been cut. The kid has a terrible work ethic, and does not take hockey seriously. It's time for him to $#It or get off the pot.
It's always amusing how perception becomes reality. Do you know what Crash Conditioning is? Check it out and then say he's a slacker, it makes Camp LaRose to seem like a walk in the park by comparison. His uneven play in undeniable but to chalk it up to poor work ethic is simply misinformed.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote