HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derrick Pouliot | Defenseman | Portland (WHL) | 1st Round, 8th overall

Old
11-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Human
cynic

vCash: 500
trading Letang in any shape or form is the worst idea ever. after Crosby and Malkin he's by far the most untouchable player.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:15 PM
malkovsby

there is zero chance letang gets traded...as mentioned earlier, martin is a goner long before that happens and orpik will face the axe aswell, as much as i like the guy.

as for our drafting philosophy..its always nice dream about top tier forwards to mix and match with crosby/malkin, but i always thought the pens were alot more dangerous as a team when we had an offensive minded backend and a patchwork on the wings...our recent playoff flameouts, i believe, are a direct result of moving towards a more conservative d-core, which proved (when letang was out)

1. our transition game was slower
2. no respected shot from the point
3. no defenceman able to break the trap - which stalled our effective forecheck

if our prospects on d do not develop as hoped it will be unfortunate but i feel the best way for the pens to go forward in the tough atlantic division is with a mobile, potent defence, and the cupboard is stocked with options at this point

time will tell

malkovsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

I agree with what everyone is reacting to on Letang: no chance in hell that guy gets traded for a F. As our staff has alluded to in the past, the idea is to build such a deep system that you can trade up-and-coming guys for decent F talent once they've established they're NHL ready. A la Whitney and Goginovski.

You don't trade a Norris calibre D in the prime of his career, period. If Letang wants $6M+, he'll get it. No problem. Good bye Paul Martin. We'd sooner salary dumb Martin for scraps than trade Letang IMO.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
trading Letang in any shape or form is the worst idea ever. after Crosby and Malkin he's by far the most untouchable player.
It's mind-blowing. Instead of trying to complement our young superstar defenseman with a quality supporting cast on the back-end, some people want to deal him and have our defensive core consist of rookies/sophomores and expensive vets who are past their best-before date.

Why? Why on earth would we do that?

Can anyone draw up a projected blueline depth chart without Letang that doesn't look like complete ass?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:08 PM
mpp9

If I had to guess, management would be just fine with constant turnover on D behind Letang. Once Despres, Morrow, Harrington and the like hit their big money contracts, they'll move them for forwards and have depth in the system to replace them.

It is alot of money to commit to three players in Sid, Geno and Letang, but it's worth it.

But then again who knows how things turn out down the line. Maybe Morrow becomes a better player than Letang.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:29 PM
JTG

Yeah, Letang will be a defensive constant on this team.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkovsby View Post
there is zero chance letang gets traded...as mentioned earlier, martin is a goner long before that happens and orpik will face the axe aswell, as much as i like the guy.

as for our drafting philosophy..its always nice dream about top tier forwards to mix and match with crosby/malkin, but i always thought the pens were alot more dangerous as a team when we had an offensive minded backend and a patchwork on the wings...our recent playoff flameouts, i believe, are a direct result of moving towards a more conservative d-core, which proved (when letang was out)

1. our transition game was slower
2. no respected shot from the point
3. no defenceman able to break the trap - which stalled our effective forecheck

if our prospects on d do not develop as hoped it will be unfortunate but i feel the best way for the pens to go forward in the tough atlantic division is with a mobile, potent defence, and the cupboard is stocked with options at this point

time will tell
Are you kidding me? The Pens went to back to back finals when they had guys like Malone, Hossa, Billy G, Feds, Roberts, BGL Cooke, TK on the wings and Scuds and Gill on D.

Its kind of funny how the Pens were playing a zone defense with Martin and Zib but played man to man with Scuds and Gill. Moving ahead I'm still pretty worried about the Pens in the defensive zone.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:06 PM
malkovsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Are you kidding me? The Pens went to back to back finals when they had guys like Malone, Hossa, Billy G, Feds, Roberts, BGL Cooke, TK on the wings and Scuds and Gill on D.
they also had gonchar, goligoski and whitney on the back end

Old
11-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Jacob

I forget, how many games did Goligoski play in the 08 & 09 playoffs combined?

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:07 PM
SEALBound

Not many.

Letang isn't going anywhere any time soon unless his game goes to hell and/or he asks for far too much ($7+). I really want Despres to step in with him early. I want Despres to learn from Letang and develeop chemistry. I wouldn't mind Morrow with Martin for a little while until he develops. Then once Harrington, Pouliot, Demoulin, or Maata develop, pair them with Morrow. Then the two best fill in the third pair. Of course if we can keep Engelland on the cheap....I think we need to. He's a great third pairing guy that can fight.

Started think though, I wouldn't mind running 7 D if all our prospects developed well, then let our 3c's fill in for 4c or a wing fill in and have Vitale at 4c.

I still foam at the mouth when I look at our prospects. Still think we should have taken Grigs though.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Not many.

Letang isn't going anywhere any time soon unless his game goes to hell and/or he asks for far too much ($7+). I really want Despres to step in with him early. I want Despres to learn from Letang and develeop chemistry. I wouldn't mind Morrow with Martin for a little while until he develops. Then once Harrington, Pouliot, Demoulin, or Maata develop, pair them with Morrow. Then the two best fill in the third pair. Of course if we can keep Engelland on the cheap....I think we need to. He's a great third pairing guy that can fight.

Started think though, I wouldn't mind running 7 D if all our prospects developed well, then let our 3c's fill in for 4c or a wing fill in and have Vitale at 4c.

I still foam at the mouth when I look at our prospects. Still think we should have taken Grigs though.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I forget, how many games did Goligoski play in the 08 & 09 playoffs combined?
15 playoff games in two seasons here. 2G, 8A.

Old
11-24-2012, 02:38 PM
malkovsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
better than martins numbers

Old
11-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Between the two cup runs he played 2 games though.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkovsby View Post
they also had gonchar, goligoski and whitney on the back end
Very true but Gonchar, IMO, is the best Pens defenseman ever and Whitney had a great playoffs in 08.

I'm talking more in terms of style of the Pens defense under MT and Disco. MT had more transitional plays made by the wingers and DB wants more transition from his defensemen. Mobility is great on D but the defense seems almost over active. The Pens play a zone defense but how often do we see two defensemen in one corner or behind the net. For all the wooing of Letang getting back to break up a play, he's only really covering up a mistake. Is transitional play that much better with Zib and Martin over Scuds and Gill? The Pens bring in skill on D but still come up the wall when making a transitional play. Its almost a wash.

Don't get me wrong I don't want to see structure until my eyes bleed but there are good habits and bad habits. Even when the Pens won last year they were looking really sloppy. The years of winning sloppy and losing badly are supposed to be a thing of the past.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:23 PM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Very true but Gonchar, IMO, is the best Pens defenseman ever
I don't know about that. I just watched the '91 ECF clinching game against the Bruins, and I'm not sure that Gonchar is even the best Pens defenseman to wear #55....

Don't get me wrong - that's nothing against Gonchar, it's just those early 90's teams were sick....

Freeptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Coffey? Murphy?

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 10:09 PM
LECROSKIN

I think he meant Drake Berehowsky

LECROSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Between the two cup runs he played 2 games though.
Yah he played 13 games in the 2009-2010 playoffs. 2 games the season before.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunitz View Post
Coffey? Murphy?
Two of my favorites but just as a Pen I think Gonch has them beat. He was only bad that first half of his first year as a Pen but then was pretty awesome after that. Nevermind all he's done for Malkin.

Coffey was the most important IMO. He was a huge help to Lemieux and if the 87 Canada Cup placed that stars chip on Lemieux's shoulder then Paul Coffey kept it there. I also think that him and Lemieux had better chemistry than Brown or Jags did with Lemieux.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:03 PM
mr sidney crosby

Hows derrick pouliot looking?

mr sidney crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 04:22 PM
WickedWrister

hahaha

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Honour Over Glory

I doubt Orpik would ever leave, he knows a good thing when he sees one and he'll likely take a pay cut for a long term to stay in Pittsburgh and be apart of something good than regret leaving and feel like Ryan Malone.

In any case, yeah Martin goes first, no Letang does not go unless he pulls a Jordan Staal...and yeah, how is Pouliot doing?

Honour Over Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I doubt Orpik would ever leave, he knows a good thing when he sees one and he'll likely take a pay cut for a long term to stay in Pittsburgh and be apart of something good than regret leaving and feel like Ryan Malone.

In any case, yeah Martin goes first, no Letang does not go unless he pulls a Jordan Staal...and yeah, how is Pouliot doing?
The obvious difference there is that Letang plays behind nobody. He's our undisputed #1 defenseman, and gets prime time offensive opportunities.

I've watched Pouliot play a few times this season. Every time his skating, transition, and offensive IQ impressed, and he often dictated the pace of the game. When he played against the Russians in the Super Series though, he looked out of his depth in his own end, showing too little urgency and obviously needing to work on his strength to compete with the best of his peers.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:28 PM
malkovsby

i like pouliots skill set..smart, patient, good skater with solid top end speed and agility..pretty good shot and obvious offensive instincts...gonna take some time to be NHL ready because he does have trouble in his own end at the CHL level but hes the type of player that can make the quick outlet and join the rush..which is very nice

hows his strength by the way does anyone have his results from the combine on hand?