Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

II. 2012 NHL Draft - Just the Faksa, Ma'am

Old
06-23-2012, 01:00 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Gotta give Joe props. Took him two days to pretty much completely solve our center issues, with the only piece we're missing being a #2 center (I'm okay with that, though).

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:57 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I'm trying to figure out what line would be tougher on announcers:

Tootoo - Koekkoek - Ruutu

(I'm aware KK is a defenseman)

or

A. Smith - G. Smith - R. Smith

Old
06-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Captain Awesome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Gotta give Joe props. Took him two days to pretty much completely solve our center issues, with the only piece we're missing being a #2 center (I'm okay with that, though).
Disagree, we're missing that 30-40 point stellar defensive 3rd line anchor guy, we have been for a very long time. If we can get a good top 6 two-way D-man we can maybe make a checking line out of it but as it stands I don't think we have one.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Disagree, we're missing that 30-40 point stellar defensive 3rd line anchor guy, we have been for a very long time. If we can get a good top 6 two-way D-man we can maybe make a checking line out of it but as it stands I don't think we have one.
That's Steve Ott when he shuts the **** up and stops trying to agitate.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:13 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I can see Vincour becoming that.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:14 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Posted it on the main board, might as well post it here too:

Quote:

#13 - Radek Faksa, Center
- Pretty much a perfect fit for this team. The Stars have needed a top notch center prospect for more than a couple years now, and Faksa is exactly what GMJN looks for in a prospect. Size, skill, great two-way play, "hard to play against", and pretty underrated. That, and if the draft was based solely on character, he'd go #1 for sure.
Grade - A+

#43 - Ludvig Byström, Defenseman
- Love this pick. We could use an offensive defenseman in our prospect pool, and he brings that and a bit more. Reminds me a lot of Nemeth in 2010, and he's turning out very well. I think Byström will at worst be a bottom pairing defender and definitely has top 4 upside, but we've got the depth to not rush him and let him become as good as possible. However, looking at who was available (Frk, Bozon), I do think we could've made a slightly better pick.
Grade - B

#54 - Mike Winther, Center/Left Wing
- I wasn't too fond of this pick, but it could've been worse. Bozon was still available, and not picking him here was a big mistake IMO. He had ties to the organization, we could use a winger, etc. but Winther works too. Keeps filling the hole we have at center and can switch over to wing if needed, and he seems to have a knack for goal scoring with 32 goals in the Dub.
Grade - B-

#61 - Devin Shore, Center
- Love this pick. Was a guy we discussed a lot and with this pick, our center woes pretty much come to end. Projects to be a bottom 6 center, but with Benn and Faksa in the top 6 that's perfect.
Grade - B+

#74 - Esa Lindell, Defenseman
- Another solid pick. More for back up in case Byström or Klingberg doesn't turn out as an offensive defender, but can still be a contributor even if all three make it. And he was a bit of a steal, so that makes it even better.
Grade - B-

#104 - Gemel Smith, Center
- Centers are getting a bit redundant, but he's a steal here. Was supposed to be a 2nd round pick, and he's here in the 4th round. Another solid center I can see in the bottom 6, and center begins turning into a strength when it was a weakness not even 3 days ago. Also, we can now dress a full Smith line.
Grade - C+

#134 - Branden Troock, Right Wing
- A bottom 6 guy almost for sure. Not much else is known, but can't go wrong with a guy who'll probably contribute in some way, even a very minor one.
Grade - C+

#144 - Henri Kiviaho, Goaltender
- We could use a prospect goaltender, and then almost certainly is a Takko pick (most of his have been successful). A very young goalie, he'll probably stay in Finland for at least another 2-3 years, if not even more, which is exactly what we need. That, and he has a ****ing awesome name.
Grade - B

#183 - Dmitry Sinitsyn, Defenseman[/b]
- This pick probably won't ever make the NHL, but again, he's an offensive defender who strengthens that hole in our prospect pool. However, he's a local kid, one of the best to ever play on his junior team in Dallas, and this pick to me signifies that we aren't afraid to take Russians (even though he has no danger of going to the KHL). That alone makes him a very significant pick.
Grade - B+

All in all, we had a very successful draft, which we've needed after the horrid '09 and '10 drafts.

Final Grade - B

Last edited by LatvianTwist: 06-23-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old
06-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Not sure how you can have a A- when you have 6 Bs and 2 Cs.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I'd say Troock is a B or B+... he's at worst a Wathier. And where he was picked? What else can you ask for?

And Bystrom is nothing like Nemeth.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:22 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Not sure how you can have a A- when you have 6 Bs and 2 Cs.
Iono I just made it all up. All in all it was a pretty solid draft, our best in at least 4 years IMO.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:47 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
And Bystrom is nothing like Nemeth.
Was getting more at the Swedish defenseman with a well rounded game in the 2nd round. I didn't mean for it to come off like he played a similar game to him.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

To be honest, along with Buffalo, Washington and Montreal, we had one of the best drafts. This is how I'd rank our overall draft.

Name | Upside | Downside | HFBoards Grade | Grade
13. Radek Faksa | Elite second line centre | Third line energy | 7.5C | A
-Faksa probably could have went in the top 10, excellent pick where we got him, perfect second line center of the future behind Benn/High end FA
43. Ludwig Bystrom | Strong Number 2/3 defensemen | SEL Defensemen | 7.0C | A-
-Bystrom was one of those players who could have gone 15-40. We got him in aexcellent spot.
54. Mike Winther | Top six goal scoring winger | AHL top sixer | 7.0D | B
-Nothing wrong with this pick. Goal scoring center who'll likely play wing at the NHL level. Was slotted around this area, maybe a little higher.
61. Devin Shore | Top six centre | 4th line energy/NHL tweener | 7.0D | B+
-Playing in a rather weak league but Dallas gets another guy with top six upside, potentially the highest of everyone they drafted.
74. Esa Lindell | Top 4 defensemen | Top 4 defensemen, in Europe | 6.5C | B
-Another solid pick of a guy who could have gone higher. Won't be anything special but a good bet to eventually make the NHL as a contributing defensemen.
104. Gemel Smith | Second line centre | AHL journeyman | 6.5C | B+
-Very surprised Smith lasted this long. Not the greatest stats for a small forward but the upsides there when he gets more icetime. Smith has second line upside and really isn't that much of a risk. Great pick for that late.
134. Brandon Troock | Elite 3rd line body banger | AHL body banger | 6.0C | A
-For a pick this late, he's great. Very rare to get a legitimate potential power forward this late who doesn't have serious concerns. Of coruse he doesn't have much offensive upside but the potentials there for him to be one of the best third liners in the leauge who wouldn't look out of place on a second line. I wouldn't say there's much seperating him and Tom Wilson who went 16th besides a (substantial) size advantage for Wilson).
144. Henri Kiviaho | NHL goalie | Minor league/Europe journeyman | 7.0D | C+
-Better goalies still on the board, doesn't seem like he excells at any particular area. However, the same could have been said for a young Lundqvist or Rinne. You never know with goalie prospects.
183. Dmitry Snitsyn | ??? | ??? | n/a | C
-The only draft pick we took who's name I have never heard of. Seems like an sizable offensive dynamo who played here, which AFAIK would be the first player to have played in Dallas to be drafted by Dallas. Because theres safter picks or ones with more of a pedigree on the board still I'll give him a C but I'll refrain from saying anything else.

Overall Rank (Note not an average): A
I thought we had a really good draft. Almost everyone we drafted seems to have top 6 or top 4 potential, and a couple were steals. Radek Faksa, Ludvig Bystrom, Brandon Troock and to a lesser degree Smith and Shore were awesome picks for their ranking. I can't say we made a bad pick over the last two days, and we made numerous great picks.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:49 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

The Sinitsyn pick is confusing. I can't tell if it's a sign that they aren't afraid to pick Russians or if they're just taking a local kid.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Rune Forumwalker

I'd go with the local kid angle.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:02 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
I think last year's draft was better, but this is pretty damn good. The past 2 drafts have been pretty exceptional by Joe and Les Jackson.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:18 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Just curious - Bystrom or Frk?

Old
06-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Just curious - Bystrom or Frk?
Bystrom all the way.

People were talking about this guy like he was in the conversation to go in that middle of the first round range. He seems like the kind of defenceman prospect that teams are really after these days. As good a pick as was made today if you ask me.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:30 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
Yeah Bystrom's a great pick as well. Didn't expect him to be an option at 43, then again pretty much all of the Swedes fell big time for some reason. He's definitely physically immature, but if he wasn't there's no way you'd get him in the 2nd round. There's no reason to doubt Oquist until he proves otherwise.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

vCash: 50
I have a love hate relationship in general with the draft. All the speculative/generalized statements about all the picks, how this team had a good draft, and this team had a bad draft just based on name recognition. Grading a draft the day after the draft is over is the most futile thing to do in the world especially when 90+% of everyone has seen less than 5-10 minutes of actual gameplay from any of the prospects.

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote