HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Draft | #15 | Cody Ceci, D, Ottawa 67s

Old
06-23-2012, 12:01 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 500
2012 Draft | #15 | Cody Ceci, D, Ottawa 67s

Pretty happy to get this guy

Here's a thread for talk about him

I've got a couple questions for those of you who know him best

How many seasons till we can expect to see this guy?
Will we see him for a few games this year (the less then 10 thing that Zibby did)?
Where on the depth chart is he likely to end up in the future (top 2, 4 etc.)?

Last edited by CanadianHockey: 06-23-2012 at 08:28 AM.
saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:08 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

edited title a bit to serve as a template for tomorrow's picks.

stoked he fell to us. Not concerned about his "play away from the puck", or his "not being mean enough". Proof that doesnt matter just won the norris trophy.

good fit for our system, local kid with high motivation to do well here, hopefully the media doesnt get to him and he progresses nicely.

I see him playing at SBP next year (but for the 67's...). Makes WJC team, hopefully 67's can do some playoff damage, and this time next year we're penciling him in to the 2013-14 squad.

I dont think there is any reason to sign him or give him 10 games unless he really impresses at prospect camp at the end of the summer.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:47 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Our breakdown on Ceci:

Quote:
Ceci’s progression this season has been outstanding. From our initial viewing at the NHL R&D to now, he may have been the one player who has grown the most all year. His mobility, with a focus on his lateral movement and acceleration, has really improved as well. There has been a big jump in Ceci’s mobility and his footwork. He looks to have added some speed to his game. Always known as a strong defense-first defenseman, Ceci is now showing that he has some interesting offensive upside. He was aggressive with the puck, skating it out of his end and either passing it off to a teammate or skating it into the offensive zone.
More: http://futureconsiderations.ca/sens-...-15th-overall/

Old
06-23-2012, 05:15 AM
Smitty26

hes got the potential to play w/ the sens this year, IMO. It depends on him beating out wiercioch in dev camp, + what happens FA wise on our backend. He definitely gets 9 games though (unless he is really unimpressive at dev camp) . a lot has to go right, but he has the same chances that zibanejad did last year i think.

Smitty26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:30 AM
Tuna99

RD was our biggest organizational need and now we are set for 10 years with Karlsson and Ceci playing the right side.

Ceci is perfect for our system - there won't be to much pressure on him to create offense and his game can grow naturally - and he looks to be a plaer who's entire game can keep growing because he has the size, speed, shot and overall game to continue to get better.

Sounds like a Meszaros type of player when he was in Ottawa - good at everything and his game may develop more of a defensive side to it as he grows into the NHL

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:04 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
A good choice by picking CC. Every time I'd hear a recap of a 67's game on TGOTR I'd hear CC's name mentioned. I hope they pick more 67's - guys play together in juniours and then play together in the Sens...seems like a good locker room model which hopefully translates to chemistry on the ice. Shane Prince gave him a tweet.

MainDotC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:15 AM
carsonscave
Rookie User

My take from watching Ceci play this year and in the playoffs:

- skilled defenseman
- can log big minutes (he's a work horse)
- sometimes tries to do too much (I contribute that to maturity and his need to learn the less is more approach)
- big strong body although he does not use it as often (wouldn't call him soft, but he should work on his physical game)
- his skating is good, however, I don't find him to be the fastest guy and I believe his foot work needs some developing
- has a boomer of a slapshot = hard + accurate
- scores the big goals from the blueline

Overall I think Ceci will continue his junior career for at least one more year if not until the end of his eligibility. He is a D prospect and they always take longer to develop. The fact that he will be playing at scotiabank place for the next season with the 67's (two if he continues in junior throughout his eligibility) is a big bonus for his development. By the time he cracks the NHL roster he will be very familiar with the rink which should benefit him greatly.

I am happy with this pick, I believe if he is developed properly, and the media leave him alone that he will be a solid 2 way NHL player one day.

carsonscave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:17 AM
SelleckStache

Was that the first time Murray's publicly stated that they're prejudiced towards local players?

SelleckStache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:24 AM
carsonscave
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelleckStache View Post
Was that the first time Murray's publicly stated that they're prejudiced towards local players?
No, he's said it before that the Ottawa area produces a ton of hockey talent but that for some reason they were overlooked for years. I think what Murray is trying to do is retain the homegrown top talent to ensure top players want to play in Ottawa and the appease the fanbase.

I believe with Ceci being a hometown boy and being selected by the sens yesterday he immediately became a fan fave.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:28 AM
SelleckStache

I hope the prejudice stops at draft-day though.

SelleckStache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:48 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

If you can take a really good player from Ottawa, I don't see a problem with it.

The fact that we've drafted so many Swedes means that Murray obviously isn't obsessed with the concept.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:52 AM
carsonscave
Rookie User

Ceci was a can't miss pick for Ottawa. I think the entire city would've been up in arms if Murray and co passed up on a home grown talent like Ceci.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

First off, really surprised Murray admitted going for Ceci because he is a local player. While I have no problem with him acknowledging that was a 'small factor', I'd have much preferred if he said his scouts clearly indicated he was the BPA - which he didn't. Anyways...

I do like Ceci overall, but I just don't think he has huge upside. The good news, is I don't think he has massive risk either. He is a solid skater, with a big frame and a big shot. He isn't great defensively, but I think he could become quite good. The thing is though, i don't think he'll be that elite offensive either. He doesn't have great lateral ability, and as MacKenzie mentioned, he isn't really a true PP quarterback either. He'll be the trigger man on the point for a PP QB like Karlsson. My issue is I'm not sure how good he is at getting his shot through, but time will tell, and that can be an acquired skill.

Overall, i think Ceci is probably going to remind some of us of Chris Phillips. Phillips was brought in with higher expectations than Ceci will, as a big two-way franchise defender, but because his skills weren't truly elite, he ended up as a more of a defensive cornerstone, never quite good enough offensively to justify top PP time. Ceci is probably a bit better offensively (although not a better skater), Phillips is a bit tougher and uses his body more at the same age (which is saying something into itself - Ceci will never be a nasty guy to player against).

Can't say I have any major complaints though, especially given our scouting staffs resume over the past 4 or 5 years. Ceci could get a long look this fall, but will likely be with the team part-time by next year (given he is an overager and can play in the AHL in 13/14). And given we have some major nastiness in the system with Boro-Cop, Gryba and Blood, Ceci could be a solid-two way guy for us paired with one of those guys, along with Karlsson and Cowen eating up major minutes. Claessen and Weircioch will also be in the mix.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:29 AM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
First off, really surprised Murray admitted going for Ceci because he is a local player. While I have no problem with him acknowledging that was a 'small factor', I'd have much preferred if he said his scouts clearly indicated he was the BPA - which he didn't. Anyways...
Well to be fair he did mention that he and his staff were surprised that Ceci made it past the top 10. That's a pretty big statement when most people had him ranked in the 14-15 area.

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:

I do like Ceci overall, but I just don't think he has huge upside. The good news, is I don't think he has massive risk either. He is a solid skater, with a big frame and a big shot. He isn't great defensively, but I think he could become quite good. The thing is though, i don't think he'll be that elite offensive either. He doesn't have great lateral ability, and as MacKenzie mentioned, he isn't really a true PP quarterback either. He'll be the trigger man on the point for a PP QB like Karlsson. My issue is I'm not sure how good he is at getting his shot through, but time will tell, and that can be an acquired skill.

Overall, i think Ceci is probably going to remind some of us of Chris Phillips. Phillips was brought in with higher expectations than Ceci will, as a big two-way franchise defender, but because his skills weren't truly elite, he ended up as a more of a defensive cornerstone, never quite good enough offensively to justify top PP time. Ceci is probably a bit better offensively (although not a better skater), Phillips is a bit tougher and uses his body more at the same age (which is saying something into itself - Ceci will never be a nasty guy to player against).

Can't say I have any major complaints though, especially given our scouting staffs resume over the past 4 or 5 years. Ceci could get a long look this fall, but will likely be with the team part-time by next year (given he is an overager and can play in the AHL in 13/14). And given we have some major nastiness in the system with Boro-Cop, Gryba and Blood, Ceci could be a solid-two way guy for us paired with one of those guys, along with Karlsson and Cowen eating up major minutes. Claessen and Weircioch will also be in the mix.
Well I think Murray did when he said they had Ceci ranked on their list in the top 10.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:32 AM
H2O

Quote:
It sounded pretty clear to me that Ceci was ranked in the top 10 by Murray's team and was very likely BPA at 15. The local factor is a bonus and Murray was just complementing the fact that the city of Ottawa have produced many good players over the years.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:34 AM
OgieO

I'm thrilled with the pick. I didn't think he'd make it to us - quite surprised he did. I think he's going to be a tremendous player for us - probably not a star like EK but a very solid player that will help us win.

I love big dmen that can play in their own zone and are effective offensive players. I also love that he's got a big shot. He`s even a decent skater. Very happy with this pick.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:36 AM
H2O

There's very little separation between all the Ds that got picked in the Top 15 imo, aside from Murray being the obvious leader of the pack.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
If you can take a really good player from Ottawa, I don't see a problem with it.

The fact that we've drafted so many Swedes means that Murray obviously isn't obsessed with the concept.
I couldn't have said it any better without sounding predujice!

What's the odds of a Ottawa boy playing all his young Hockey career in Ottawa, being drafted to the Ottawa 67's OHL Junior team, then the NHL's Ottawa's Senators?????

I only wonder if he'll have to do any tme in Bingo!

Rocket Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:41 AM
great1

I just watched a video on SensTV with Cody Ceci and his jersey has a "CECI" nameplate on it.

I am so happy the Murrays really got a guy they really wanted.

great1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Goat Boy
In support of BMurr.

Love that the Sens' website welcome page already says "Welcome home, Cody Ceci."

Goat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:45 AM
EssendonBombers
classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by great1 View Post
I just watched a video on SensTV with Cody Ceci and his jersey has a "CECI" nameplate on it.

I am so happy the Murrays really got a guy they really wanted.
All the players have their names on the jersey. The wonders of velcro.

EssendonBombers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:54 AM
great1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssendonBombers View Post
All the players have their names on the jersey. The wonders of velcro.
I thought the earlier picks do but the later picks are less and less common.

great1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:00 AM
The Turret
Jävla grisapa!

Hopefully both Wiercoch and Ceci develop good next season
Cowen-Karlsson
Wiercoch-Ceci
BoroCop-Gryba

at the start of 13/14 season, homegrown baby!

The Turret is offline   Reply With Quote