HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Part Two: 2012 NHL Entry Draft - Sens @ Pittsburgh | Saturday 10:00AM EST NHLNET

Old
06-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Berserker*

vCash: 500
Now we have enough goalie and d man depth. We could use a few more physical forwards in our prospect pool, we don't have many agitators or big hitters up front.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Let's say last year's draft was a bit more ''exciting''.

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Any ideas why Houser, london G, and ohl mvp was left?

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Tim murray says they had 8 top D ranked and ceci was the last. Next on their list was a forward. Also said that they had ceci in their top 10.
Did i misunderstand? Or was he saying 8 of top 10 on their list were D?

Anyone else hear that on 1200

Old
06-23-2012, 12:16 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
Tim murray says they had 8 top D ranked and ceci was the last. Next on their list was a forward. Also said that they had ceci in their top 10.
Did i misunderstand? Or was he saying 8 of top 10 on their list were D?

Anyone else hear that on 1200
8 of the top 10 in the draft were d-men, so in that sense it's not that odd. I'm more trying to understand how their list went. Unless Ceci was #10 on their list, one of Yakupov or Galchenyuk were after Ceci on the list.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:18 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Bahn Ahden View Post
8 of the top 10 in the draft were d-men, so in that sense it's not that odd. I'm more trying to understand how their list went. Unless Ceci was #10 on their list, one of Yakupov or Galchenyuk were after Ceci on the list.
Pretty sure their list is always made around who they think will be available, so I'm fairly certain Yakupov/Galchenyuk wouldn't be on the list at all. Not really sure exactly how scouts make their lists. You'd think that they would rank everyone in the draft, but if they know they are nowhere near someone they might not bother to include them.

WantEggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Bahn Ahden View Post
right, it's not that odd actually. Maybe they leave yakupov off knowing it's not a possibility? Then have galchenyuk and forsberg? in their top 10, with murray, reinhart, dumba, rielly, trouba, linholm, koekkoekk/pouliot? and ceci.

I'm just throwing out wild guesses here for fun.

And yeah, that would mean that ceci was 10 on this guessed list assuming that they would have gal, and fors ahead of at least one D there.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:41 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthSens View Post
Well, there you go folks:

RoundPickPlayerPositionCountryAmateur LeagueAmateur Team
115Cody CeciDCANOHLOttawa 67's
376Chris DriedgerGCANWHLCalgary Hitmen
382Jarrod MaidensLWCANOHLOwen Sound Attack
4106Timothy BoyleDUSAHigh-MANobles
5136Robert BaillargeonCUSAUSHLIndiana Ice
6166Francois BrassardGCANQMJHLQuebec Remparts
7196Mikael WikstrandDSWESweden 2Mora
Ceci and Maidens, healhy, have the potential to be NHLers for a long-time. Iron Maidens at 82 is a potential steal.

Goalies are harder to predict, so I am just glad that the team has drafted multiple prospects in the position, hoping that one of them pans out to be serviceable in the farm system at the very least.

Intriguing pick: Baillargeon.

In a weak draft, Murray ideally would’ve liked to trade some of these picks for players. Of course, it is harder to sell these picks on a weak draft as well.

Overall, I see two of them with the potential to be definite NHLers. Ottawa also filled a gaping hole in goalie prospects. Overall, I feel Murray and company did ok in a weak year.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:46 PM
turrible
Sens Rising

Team1200 has posted interviews from Bryan Murray and Pierre Dorion, where they give some rational for the individual picks.

http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chu...e%20dorion.mp3

http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chu...n%20murray.mp3

turrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:47 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Even if you don't like the players, its still nice from an organizational standpoint that they were able to address some weaknesses in goal and on D. Goalie depth needed: check. Future top 4 D needed: Check. Add in more depth picks to forward and D and the cupboard look full as ever.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:56 PM
JackBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrible View Post
Team1200 has posted interviews from Bryan Murray and Pierre Dorion, where they give some rational for the individual picks.

http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chu...e%20dorion.mp3

http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chu...n%20murray.mp3
Awesome, thanks. Do you have the Tim Murrary/Dorion recordings from day 1 about Ceci they allude to in there?

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:19 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

You want to know something funny?

Last year, as we were drafting, after every pick, I immediately felt like the guys we selected were Ottawa Senators. Like, they felt like a part of the family right away. They were ours. Even the later round guys. Prince it kind of makes sense with: he had already played in Ottawa. But Noesen, Puempel, Pageau, Claesson, Kramer... it was like all of these guys had been Senators their entire lives, and the draft was just a formality.

This year... outside of Ceci, they're all just a bunch of names, you know? I have NO personal connection to them whatsoever. No instant bond. Nothing.

Anyone else feel completely unattached to this draft class? Not in a bad way, not like they were poor picks or anything... just like these guys, they feel like strangers in our house all of a sudden, when last year, every pick seemed like an old friend that you were eager to catch up with.

Maybe it's just me...

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post

Last year, as we were drafting, after every pick, I immediately felt like the guys we selected were Ottawa Senators. Like, they felt like a part of the family right away. They were ours. Even the later round guys. Prince it kind of makes sense with: he had already played in Ottawa. But Noesen, Puempel, Pageau, Claesson, Kramer... it was like all of these guys had been Senators their entire lives, and the draft was just a formality.

This year... outside of Ceci, they're all just a bunch of names, you know? I have NO personal connection to them whatsoever. No instant bond. Nothing.

Anyone else feel completely unattached to this draft class? Not in a bad way, not like they were poor picks or anything... just like these guys, they feel like strangers in our house all of a sudden, when last year, every pick seemed like an old friend that you were eager to catch up with.

Maybe it's just me...
I feel the same way.

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:

Maybe it's just me...
Last year was an extreme case. 1 top pick, two other first rounders from the OHL, someone from Hull and someone from Ottawa. Years like this are much more normal, hell we even drafted a 67 and that rarely happens.

I think you may have a case of hockey related seasonal affective disorder.

Powdered Toast Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

For some reason i get what bonktastic is saying.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Iamok
#Panic

I'd say it's more along the lines of fans being more emotionally invested in the draft, similar to the Habs fans this year, in that every pick is dubbed as a possible saviour. When you have such a ****** year, the draft is pretty much the only highlight.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:12 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
I'd say it's more along the lines of fans being more emotionally invested in the draft, similar to the Habs fans this year, in that every pick is dubbed as a possible saviour. When you have such a ****** year, the draft is pretty much the only highlight.
This.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:22 PM
EpicNeilTime

The only problem with the Sens drafting is that they tend to go off the board in an early round with some sleeper, then make safer choices later on. I don't see why they couldn't of just drafted Tim Boyle in the 6th or 7th. Same thing with Markus Sorensen. I feel like Sorensen wouldn't have even been drafted, so why waste a 4th? I'm happy with all the picks though! Sens did a good job, they don't really have to address any needs and can take their time.

EpicNeilTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:35 PM
The Turret
Jävla grisapa!

Maybe they thought it wasn't worth risking Boyle being picked up by another team at that point, Dorion spoke highly of him in the interview.

The Turret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:02 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:

Maybe it's just me...
Ceci being from Ottawa is obvious, but Maidens seemed to love being picked by Ottawa, he made me think that Ottawa was his favourite team & Brassard is a local kid as well. The rest though are unknown & will have to prove themselves to the fan base. I like the Driedger pick as well, he seems to have some good writeups about him, potential, same for Robert Baratheon.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:11 PM
sens2k9

omg I just realized the flames drafted this guy in the first round:

sens2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:16 PM
EpicNeilTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens2k9 View Post
omg I just realized the flames drafted this guy in the first round:

Nope , this guy!

EpicNeilTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Just going over each team's picks and i'm really liking ours a bit more now. Now that it's all sunk in and i'm over my initial excitement for Ceci, i'm really excited for Ceci.

the players are looking great(admittedly it's hard to tell and every team is excited about their new draft picks) but the key is going to be maclean in my opinion bringing it all together

Can't wait to see how these guys do this year.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:47 PM
source

Quote:

Maybe it's just me...
Could be because this draft was invariably going to be less exciting following what we went through last year?

To me Ceci is the last drafted player of this whole "rebuild" that we're doing now. Going into the draft we were pretty stacked with prospects knocking on the door.

Hopefully in a few years we can look back on this draft and say we got another Condra/Greening in the late rounds, and insert them into the lineup when we're getting set for our next rebuild.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:05 AM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
It was the fact that our table was visibly beaming right before our pick that makes you realise how good they feel about the pick. Murray didn't even hesitate to proclaim him a top 10 pick on our board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
Does anyone have pics of Bryan and Tim smiling at the draft table? It's worth seeing many times over and over.
Any of these turned up yet? I haven't seen anything but missed it yesterday?

West Coast Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote