HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Will Buffalo move a center?

Old
06-22-2012, 10:30 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Derek Roy is not in the team's long term plans. He is a UFA at seasons end if he even makes it that far with Buffalo.

Tyler Ennis as a center may not be in the team's long term plans either. He hit a hot streak with some great chemistry at the end of the year but nothing is permanent. He's also a very good trading chip.

Luke Adam is more than likely a trading chip in a trade to get some defensive help amongst the forward corps.

I think Hodgson will be Buffalo's 1st or 2nd line center eventually with Grigerenko/Ennis as the other. If Grigerenko works out and Ennis is still a Sabre then Ennis can shift to a wing or Buffalo can run 3 scoring lines.

The Cody Hodgson joke was funny for the first 2 Vancouver fans that made it. The other 98 not so much.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:31 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Good one! I certainly haven't heard this one today from a Vancouver fan!

That was sarcasm, by the way.

Also, if any of them are moved, it will be Roy.

Is anyone really expecting Grigorenko or Girgensons to make the team out of camp or something?
Not saying he will but Grigs has a chance

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Henrik To Daniel

vCash: 500
I don't know about which center Buffalo will move. All I know is that they now have a scary good prospect pool now.

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:41 PM
umwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
How the heck is playing college hockey better than playing in the AHL for a players development??
When you are at a high skill level for your surroundings you get to work on the finer points, when you are forced into the water with players bigger and more experienced you have to work on just staying afloat.

That's like saying how is the AHL better than the NHL for development. Sometimes you just aren't ready yet.

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Der Jaeger

No need, doesn't make sense to rush to trade Roy. Unless he's a part of a big deal (eg: Ryan) Buffalo is probably better off keeping him.

Leino - Roy - Pominville
Vanek - Hodgson - Grigorenko
Foligno - Ennis - Stafford

Leino - Hodgson - Pominville
Vanek- Grigorenko - Armia
Foligno - Ennis - Stafford

If the league goes back to 2005-2007 officiating, that's a lights out top nine.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:18 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Hodgson they just traded for, doubt he moves.

Ennis...they can move to wing if they need to, but I'd like them to keep him at center. But they don't need to move him.

Roy...he might be gone, but without him we are really young at center. I think it's likely he's still here in October.

Luke Adam is a non-factor. I think he's gonna be a winger, not a center...just don't see it happening.

Grigorenko, we'll see how he does in camp. Hopefully he'll do well enough and get his 9 games...and if he sticks great. He can start at wing (similar to what Seguin did his first year), then move to center after Roy leaves.

Girgensons is at least a couple years away. let him go to Vermont, get top minutes and develop. There's no rush with him.

And then we've still got Sundher in Rochester who could get a callup, and Catenacci in juniors...both can become depth centers.

This first round was huge for shoring up the organizational need...but there's no need to now go ahead and deal one.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:21 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
When you are at a high skill level for your surroundings you get to work on the finer points, when you are forced into the water with players bigger and more experienced you have to work on just staying afloat.

That's like saying how is the AHL better than the NHL for development. Sometimes you just aren't ready yet.
Plus, the jump from the USHL to the AHL is pretty big. College is a good stepping stone.

I'd expect Girgensons to play 2 years in Vermont. Maybe 3 at most. Then when he's 20 or 21 he'll come into the AHL and the NHL after that.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:27 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
2nd Coming.

I would assume that Roy will be moved.

Trance Kuja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:28 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Playing against their own age group and physically maturing with them is typically a better path than guys who turn pro and have to face up to mature players in a men's league. AHL is not the best option for Girgensons, Kelowna or Vermont is.
Well the age difference isn't that big of a deal to me. Guys like Ennis, Adam, Foligno, and even Kassian have all had no troubles with the AHL at 20. I really don't think this kid, who is very mature physically will have a tough time playing with guys 2 years older than him. The AHL is decent, but it isn't anything too crazy. If I am not mistaken, our AHL coach has even done a great job with kids his age in the past before getting hired. I just think the quicker he is in the system, the better. IMO College hockey blows for development. I think these kids are leaving college and then still having to spend a good season in the AHL maybe more. Not to mention they have to focus on their studies and working if at all possible instead of just hockey.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:31 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Well the age difference isn't that big of a deal to me. Guys like Ennis, Adam, Foligno, and even Kassian have all had no troubles with the AHL at 20. I really don't think this kid, who is very mature physically will have a tough time playing with guys 2 years older than him. The AHL is decent, but it isn't anything too crazy. If I am not mistaken, our AHL coach has even done a great job with kids his age in the past before getting hired. I just think the quicker he is in the system, the better. IMO College hockey blows for development. I think these kids are leaving college and then still having to spend a good season in the AHL maybe more. Not to mention they have to focus on their studies and working if at all possible instead of just hockey.
There is a big difference between 18 and 20 or 21 in terms of physical and emotional maturity. The best path is UVM/Kelowna. The number of guys who've been hurt be being rushed developmentally far outweighs those who are given the time to mature.

06-22-2012, 11:34 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Many of the college guys are ready for callups very soon actually. Chris Butler for instance spent half a season in the AHL before becoming an NHL regular.

In college, you're playing against guys aged 18-24 (which is older than the CHL). In the AHL, it's 20-much much older. That's the difference.

And you have to remember, he's coming from the USHL. That's a huge jump in competition if he goes to the AHL immediately...that's not an easy adjustment at all. College as an intermediary works.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:40 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
Roy to Chicago for a 2nd.
If thats all it costs to get him 29 teams in the nhl would do it.

bert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:00 AM
dan1el

I could definitely see Roy + for Ryan happening. Makes sense for both teams to me.

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:00 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Probably not this year.

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
I could definitely see Roy + for Ryan happening. Makes sense for both teams to me.
Would LOVE this.

I think Zemgus could jump into the NHL right now. The guy is a freakin TANK, he's a tough customer. There's nothing wrong with him going the college route though, just let him mature and grow as a player and hopefully when he is ready he will be a beast for us.

What a great draft.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:28 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
zemgus is going to college. I'd bet on 2-3 years before he's in buffalo.

grigs could play wing if need be.

roy is up in a year anyways, so could be on his way out regardless.

I dont think hodgson or ennis are a factor for now. Maybe in a couple of years, but right now prospect depth at center wont effect them.

06-23-2012, 12:32 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
reality says you should change your opinion

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:34 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Playing against their own age group and physically maturing with them is typically a better path than guys who turn pro and have to face up to mature players in a men's league. AHL is not the best option for Girgensons, Kelowna or Vermont is.
Just to touch on this (and sabres fans may have figured this out by now), zemgus isnt going to kelowna. They drafted him without even talking to him and then publicly announced he was guaranteed to end up there. They completely disrespected him.

He seems to feel very strongly about going to vermont, but if the sabres do pressure him to go the CHL route, Kelowna's gonna have to trade him.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...rhockey,wp3171

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:00 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Girgensons talents are best served as a 3rd line centre.

Ennis
Grigorenko
Girgensons

As the top 3. Really solid. Great draft for buffalo today.

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:03 AM
Puckgenius*

How about roy and weber to cgy for cammalleri?

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:04 AM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
How about roy and weber to cgy for cammalleri?
Don't need Cammalleri.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:13 AM
Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
If thats all it costs to get him 29 teams in the nhl would do it.
28. I doubt Buffalo would be willing to give up their 2nd rounder for Roy.

Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:18 AM
Puckgenius*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok89 View Post
Don't need Cammalleri.
Ok roy for tanguay.

Sabres lack playmaking winger.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:34 AM
MayDayMayDay

Roy
Sekera
Armia
2nd

for

Ryan
Lydman

Saw this proposal yesterday on the board, kinda liked it.

MayDayMayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:41 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Grigs and Girgs aren't ready for the NHL yet.

Grigs will probably join the team next year when Roy is a UFA anyways.

Long term, Hodgson probably switches back to wing.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote