HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

NHL Draft Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
I missed the part where an offensive forward of any even close to immediate impact was available where we were at.
We should've taken the guy who hasn't scored a single point in the SEL in 46 games and who looks like he will be another Tedenby. Or we should've taken the guy who can't skate in Frk. So many "impact forwards" to be had!!!111

Old
06-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Collberg didn't make it to the first round.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:52 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

When it comes to scouting and players ... I trust Slats ...

Old
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Yep, exactly. This is a ****ing awesome pick. The reaction on this board is utterly laughable and, as mentioned, is the exact same reaction as when we picked Stepan. I was so happy when we picked Stepan and the board nearly took a ****. I mean, give me a break. This team goes and picks BPA. Period. We are not going to address need. We will take who we feel is the best available player.

This kid has McDonagh-esque upside. He's not going to be as strong of a kid (McDonagh is just built like an OX), but he has similar speed, great hockey sense, and really nice two-way play.
Definitely agree. I'm not sure I see the offensive prowess that McDonagh had at the same age, but that can develop. He's such a heady player, and any mistakes he makes he can easily recover from with his skating.

Old
Chief

Quote:
What the hell would Colberg do for us? He hasn't scored a SINGLE POINT in the SEL yet and is a mirror image of ****** old Tedenby.
He did very well in international competition - playing the best of the best of his age group. That's typically an indicator of NHL scoring potential.

I'm just sayin'.

Besides, we're getting Nash anyway.

Old
Pizza

This is one of my favorite times of year on this board. I'll admit I know not a thing about this kid. Nothing.

Here is what I do know.

Gordie Clark and Jeff Gorton have forgotten more about hockey than most people know.

I'm looking forward to learning more about this kid in the next week or so.

Old
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
I missed the part where an offensive forward of any even close to immediate impact was available where we were at.
Happens every year. If you listened to some people you'd think that every draft we pass on the next Wayne Gretzky to take the next Rich Pilon.

RANGERS =
Old
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
my problem isnt with the pick itself, its more that we didn't use the pick to address the most glaring need on this team....help TODAY. Rangers should have traded the pick to get help for next season. I woulda rather used this pick to go get someone like Bobby Ryan (obviously as part of a bigger package)...especially in such a meh draft.
We most likely tried to trade the pick (and more) to Pitt for Jordan Staal, but Carolina stepped up and added Sutter to seal the deal.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:53 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
Dislike: another D man

We most likely will be trading for a top 3-6 forward people, this most likely will deplete our D prospects. This gives us insurance.
The fact that they took a defenseman in a draft that's deep in defensemen is a dislike?

dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
People need to get over the fact that Stephan Matteau scored a game winning goal 17 years ago.

And no one knows what this team will look like three years from now when this kid could potentially make the NHL. I can guarantee you that Staal, Girardi, McD, MDZ, Sauer and Erixon will not all be with the team. You gotta stop thinking in the short term.

Old
I Am Classless

Haha, the Devils fans here really are cool as ****. They're laughing their heads off too!

About what we did: you pick people you think will have value moving forward. That's just about it. If we see things in our prospect pool are a little unbalanced in the next couple years, and our guys maintain value, we'll be perfectly capable of trading McIlrath or Skjei or whoever for forwards across the league. If they're the guys our scouts think they are, they'll maintain value. That's all that matters.

Old
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
We're not getting Schultz. And you have no idea what our blue line will look like in 3 years. MDZ/Staal could be gone. Girardi regressing, etc etc.
I don't care about 3 years from now. I care about winning the Cup next year and right now it looks like the Rangers don't really seem to care if that happens. Other teams are improving left and right and we're "staying the course".

Old
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
I know a hell of a lot more than you do about this. It's clear by your posting. Your ranting that we didn't pick for need is ridiculous. And that is a type of thing that goes across the NHL, NFL, and MLB. You do not pick for need. Period. No successful team picks for need. Not a single one.
Then get a job in the league with all your vast array of knowledge rather than sit here yapping endless **** post after post.

Not picking for need isnt the same thing as picking to your [supposed] strength.

Im not opening an italian restaurant in Nolita... know why? There's 1000 already there. Ill open one somewhere else... cuz that makes sense.

As I already said. If it pans out, fine, if it doesnt, then oh well.

Post 10 more times about it though, Im out, having actual things to do than bro-down on the interwebs in my mom's basement.

Old
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

After my yearly initial disappointment I'm definitely OK with the pick. I actually had him going at 16 in my mock. Will try to learn more about him.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

LA got the single guy who will make an impact in ~2 years. Tanner Pearson would've probably been my pick if we didn't go where we did (or Aberg). Pearson is a really nice pick at 30. Really curious to see how he does at the next level.

Old
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Would I get infracted if I posted the Matteau vid in the Devils board? lol

Old
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
When it comes to scouting and players ... I trust Slats ...
I trust Gordie Clark!

Old
06-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
We most likely tried to trade the pick (and more) to Pitt for Jordan Staal, but Carolina stepped up and added Sutter to seal the deal.
yep, it's definitely possible that's what happened...with that said...it DIDN"T happen....we didn't get staal, we didn't get anyone to help us right now (so far)...thats what this team needs.

Old
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I don't care about 3 years from now. I care about winning the Cup next year and right now it looks like the Rangers don't really seem to care if that happens. Other teams are improving left and right and we're "staying the course".
What makes you think that drafting a forward at 28 this year was going to help us win the Stanley Cup next season?

No player drafted outside of the top 10 in this draft will play in the NHL next season...this year's pick has no bearing on what the Rangers will do during the 2012-2013 season.

Old
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

A trade is coming. No doubt.

Old
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
LA got the single guy who will make an impact in ~2 years. Tanner Pearson would've probably been my pick if we didn't go where we did (or Aberg). Pearson is a really nice pick at 30. Really curious to see how he does at the next level.
Definitely wishing we can trade up to grab Aberg.

Old
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I like the pick because it seems like very good value at the spot. That's all I know. I could care less if they pick a forward in the first round because it will be 2-4 years before any player past the first 4-5 tonight have an impact in the NHL. Good chance one of the Bergs will be available at their pick in the second round. So might Kerdiles, Frk or any of the other forward that people have had the Joneses' for this spring. Trust the profesisonals.

Old
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
We should've taken the guy who hasn't scored a single point in the SEL in 46 games and who looks like he will be another Tedenby. Or we should've taken the guy who can't skate in Frk. So many "impact forwards" to be had!!!111
I'm fine with the Skjei pick, but Collberg barely played in the SEL. He barely saw any ice time. He was the youngest player on Frolunda - by far - and he is still undersized. Against players his own age, and closer in size, he has played quite well.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
He did very well in international competition - playing the best of the best of his age group. That's typically an indicator of NHL scoring potential.

I'm just sayin'.

Besides, we're getting Nash anyway.
So did Tedenby. He is a MIRROR IMAGE of Tedenby. I see the exact same player. I just don't see how he succeeds in the NHL.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
A trade is coming. No doubt.
for what team???? what makes you say that??

Closed Thread