HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2012 NHL Draft: Part 2

Old
06-23-2012, 11:39 AM
alexthekidd

vCash: 50
Sergei Kostenko - Russian G

alexthekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:40 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Sergei Kostenko, G out of Russia.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:40 AM
sk84fun_dc

Gary Rissling's nephew, there's the relation pick

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Cush
-inator

Sergei Kostenko was born in 92

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Love the first round, and the Ribeiro trade. Will withhold judgement on the second day.

Old
Capitlols

Did Makarov get picked or did I miss it?

Capitlols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
alexthekidd

Kostenko must be a re-entry. September '92 birthday

Old
06-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

top goalie in the U18 Six Nations 2010

Decent bit of upside.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Expected a few more trades, didn't see it.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:45 AM
alexthekidd

Ebert, what an epic fall.

Old
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Nick Ebert is the last player drafted.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Did Makarov get picked or did I miss it?
No but he could be an invitee. Same with my guess, Houser.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Consiglieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Thanks.

I think McPhee/Mahoney were targeting Faksa at 11 and Wilson at 16.

Forsberg fell and they had to have a seminar about it. I'm happy as can be. My guess is Forsberg becomes a 30-30 guy who is tenacious and tough to play against. The Caps haven't had many players like that...

Maybe like a Rod Brind'Amour. Or maybe Patrice Bergeron. It sounds like Forsberg will play wing. I expect a top 2nd line winger. If he becomes an all-star that's great, too.

In two years:

Ovie-Backstrom-Kuz
Semin (!)-Ribeiro-Forsberg
Wilson-Mojo-Brouwer
Chim-Beagle-Ward

Alzner-Carlson
????-Orlov
Kinda-Thin

Holtby
Savvy Vet

We'll see about Green. I think Laich will still be here but one can hope.
I'm just about exactly where you're at, I'm betting that story that popped up a few days ago about this draft being horse manure was largely true. And that we had a couple of guys we liked in the top 15 or so, and that Wilson was likely the last of them, or the highest left. Whats amusing about the pick for me, is that when i went over the potential targets at both picks I made a list of about 10-12 guys, and Wilson was not on it. He was the guy i was the LEAST interested in of all the available guys projected to go around that pick (the sense i got in reading tons of stufff the last few months is that Wilson was basically a late 2nd rounder at best in December, then was in the 25-50 zone by Feb, and then the last two months he climbed into the 15-35 zone). I hate late high risers, hate them, particularly when a lot of it happens after the seasons, Im always suspicious of it, preferring guys that have proven it over multiple years, i dont like small sample sizes of success, but that's more a product of NFL and NBA draft biases, not so much, NHL, or High School baseball draft picks, where the kids are 18 and so don't have a lot to sample in the first place, and because of the youth involved, are far more likely to have a shockingly fast rise, rather than an NFL or NBA prospect where the body of work is more important.

Lastly, i think the reason he liked Wilson, if that report from a few days ago is right, is that Wilson has a clear route to the NHL, tough, grinding, worker, who scares the hell out of people. Much more likely you can find some room for that, than for third tier forward or defensemen in a draft that's been called manure outside of the top 10, what are that guys chances considering it's a bad draft to begin with, and he's depending entirely on his skill, which apparently aint that great.

The one thing that confuses me is that we were really linked a ton to Maata, and to a lesser extent with Teravainen or at least at that initial slot area. Its hard for me to understand how Wilson is a better prospect than Maata or Teravainen, everything I've heard says different, but if we didnt rate them as elite caliber guys in this draft, or at least very good, than Wilson's chance of actually contributing were far higher, and probably looked far more palatable after the steal that was Forsberg.

The Consiglieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:46 AM
Cush
-inator

Kostenko: http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=42424

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

So Anton Slepyshev wasn't picked at all? He must've said he didn't want to come over or something...

Dr John Carlson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Rissling is a great snag for you guys.

I played with him and went to hockey school with him.

By far the most improved player of all those years.

He will surprise everyone.

Great pick.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Just got back.

Riley Barber is #82 on RLR's list. One-liner: Underrated scorer and competitor is a real bulldog.

He's #14 on the Rodney Dangerfield Trophy list (Most underrated players): Not the biggest or fastest winger on the ice, but he scores important goals and works his bag off every shift.

Often overlooked on the U.S. National Team and underrated in general. Just average-sized and a good, but not explosive, skater. But he's an energetic sniper with great hands and shot release - needs almost no time or space to get off hard, accurate shots from any angle. Very persistent and determined in puck pursuit and willing to take hits to make players - regularly plays in traffic. Great instincts at the offensive end and is able to find open seams. Very opportunistic around net with a natural scorer's touch - pounces on mistakes and loose pucks out of nowhere and buries his chances. Was able to consistently create offense for himself this year despite playing with un-skilled linemates. Stronger in battles than you'd expect - strong through the core and chest with a low centre of gravity. Gets good leverage on his hits and is able to drive through checks.

Projection: Versatile 3rd liner with good hands.
Style compares to: Rich Peverly.

Christian Djoos is #196 on RLR's list.

He's #3 on the Brad "Quicksand" Marsh Tropy list (Slowest-footed players): Poor technique; always on his heels and out of balance with an awkward, short stride.

Jaynen Rissling is #64 on RLR's list. One-liner: Going around him is like circumnavigating the globe.

Huge and physically mature defender is an adequate north/south skater for his size, but defensive footwork has room for improvement as he has trouble sticking with quicker, shifty forwards down low. Does use his long reach in containment and to force attackers to the outside. Uses size to punish opponents down low - makes forwards pay a price for real estate. Also a tough and willing fighter. Has simplified his game and made major improvements in his own end with better defensive zone positioning. Seals and pins forwards along the walls. Offensive skills are limited, but he's making smarter pinches now and getting his heavy shot through on net. Patient enough with the puck that he's comfortable handling it along the offensive blue line, and is not afraid to step up up as an outlet. Making better decisions in distribution, though he'll never be a PP quarterback.
Projection: Physical #5-6 defenceman.
Style compares to: Adam McQuaid

Serei Kostenko is not on RLR's top 312.

Last edited by Marshall: 06-23-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:03 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Riley barber is awesome. Former first overall futures draft pick in the ushl. Stock took a dip when he left dubuque for the ntdp. Stood out in my viewings last season.

Di pauli is pretty good as well.

I'm very meh on carrick, probably the worst d man on the ntdp but their team is awesome so there's still potential.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:06 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
No but he could be an invitee. Same with my guess, Houser.
The other Rupert brother wasn't drafted, correct?

As to invitees, I have a few names of players mentioned earlier this year for possible invites. Haven't seen any goalies mentioned yet so definitely a possibility with Houser, but I assume he will get several invites this summer.

Of the possible invites I've seen mentioned, one ended up signing with the NYR this spring. A couple of others still possible, but I'm waiting for newer info. I assume invites will start to be reported (in blogs and on twitter) now that the draft has been completed.

Vogel did report that the Caps expect Soberg to attend. Someone mentioned that Di Pauli might not attend due to summer school; updated; he says yes when Vogel asks him in the interview, so wait and see.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 06-23-2012 at 12:30 PM.
sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:06 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
I read more on the Vasilevski pick by Lightning, and it was a real dick move by Yzerman, he already has 4 depth goalies, and the kid said he was ****ing done with the MHL/KHL, and he may in the end be stuck there another year cause the Ligthning picked him and he was just fine with going to the AHL.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:07 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Odd that they took two defensemen with skating issues.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
I read more on the Vasilevski pick by Lightning, and it was a real dick move by Yzerman, he already has 4 depth goalies, and the kid said he was ****ing done with the MHL/KHL, and he may in the end be stuck there another year cause the Ligthning picked him and he was just fine with going to the AHL.
Yeah, I'm sure most GMs would have declined to make that pick simply not to be a dick to the guy they'd be picking. Definitely.

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:11 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Yeah, I'm sure most GMs would have declined to make that pick simply not to be a dick to the guy they'd be picking. Definitely.
That's why Boston made the Subban pick.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:17 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Well it was a stupid move.

They already have 4 depth goalies. Yzerman from all accounts just drafted the kid with a bigger Russian factor than Grigorenko or Yakupov, without reading the fact he was a for sure coming over and was done with his KHL club and wanted to prove himself in the AHL.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:18 PM
NatsCaps

Rissling's skating looked fine to me in the vids I watched. They were fight videos, but one showed a play where he had to hustle back and break up a play.

The guy is a big time fighter. Better than Brendan Witt was at 17(Witt was a dominant fighter in the WHL), and maybe just a little behind Stephen Peat at 17 (best junior fighter I ever saw). It would not shock me if he is the best fighter in the NHL someday (if he makes it).

NatsCaps is offline   Reply With Quote