HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Staal traded to Carolina for Brandon Sutter, Brian Dumoulin, 8th overall

Old
06-23-2012, 01:46 PM
angelgirl77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer72 View Post
Mostly Yohe and Rorabaugh on Twitter.
Thank you!

angelgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:49 PM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I think the media took breadcrumbs and ran with it. Yeah, I'm sure, all things being equal, playing with Eric would've been choice number one. I was speaking more to the idea that he'd ONLY go to Carolina. Pretty clear, based on what Rutherford paid and all the teams that were at the table, THAT wasn't the case.
I'm not sure about that after reading one of his quotes.....

Quote:
Seth Rorabaugh ‏@emptynetters

J. Staal said one reason he was uncertain about the Pens' offer was that it might prevent him a chance to play with E. Staal in his career

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:52 PM
KIRK

Quote:
I'm not sure about that after reading one of his quotes.....
ONE of the reasons, not THE reason. If the role had been right, then I think it's a different story.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Mordax
Abso-Buc'n-lutely

Mordax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:57 PM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
ONE of the reasons, not THE reason. If the role had been right, then I think it's a different story.
Regardless, whoever leaked it didn't do any favors to Penguins organization, that's all I'm saying.

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:06 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Regardless, whoever leaked it didn't do any favors to Penguins organization, that's all I'm saying.
Yes and no, because I think Shero in the end got the return he was targeting all along. Before ANY of this Carolina **** happened and it was just speculation that he might be unhappy about his role and unwilling to resign, people on the main board were talking Sutter, the 8th overall, and a defensemen. The sensible Canes fans figured it would be McBain. I argued that Shero would press for Faulk and suggested that would be a deal breaker. Well, Rutherford did something I didn't anticipate, and he settled in the middle with Dumoulin. And all of that was BEFORE Rutherford allegedly got the upper hand in the last few weeks.

In the beginning, I said Shero would deal Staal if he didn't want to be here (in his role) and if he got a Richards/Carter plus a premium type of return. Think about it:

Carter got Voracek and the 8th (granted Couturier was a gift, but nobody knew when the deal happened). IMO, Sutter's value now >>> Voracek's value last summer. AND, Shero then got a premium of Dumoulin on top of it.

Richards, for all intents and purposes got Schenn, Simmonds, and a 2nd. IMO, you can argue if Sutter + 8th overall is worth more than that was then (when Schenn was seen as a stud prospect ready to step in and Simmonds was an enigmatic young talented player like Voracek), but adding Dumoulin means Shero got more.

People can argue about fits and choices. BUT, if you're talking VALUE, Shero got exactly what I said he'd get if he dealt Staal.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Laufer your avatar is excellent and needed now that Air Marshall Tito is no longer with us.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Illinest

I thought we were going to need to add a couple pieces along with Staal if we were to have any hope of landing Frolov.

Illinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Excellent use of sarcasm without the smiley.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Tafkak

Send a message via AIM to Tafkak
Full Staal chat transcript

Tafkak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:53 PM
LIPensFan98

I like the deal but I hope part of the motivation was to clear space to make an offer for Parise.

I read the chat transcript. Staal says Obviously way too much.

LIPensFan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPensFan98 View Post
I like the deal but I hope part of the motivation was to clear space to make an offer for Parise.

Mario was/is known for that too. Maybe Mario just wants everybody to say obviously way too much in his organization.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:05 PM
wej20

Wasn't there another word NHL players were using all the time in interviews? or was it obviously?

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPensFan98 View Post

fifteen times!

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Wasn't there another word NHL players were using all the time in interviews? or was it obviously?
"For sure" is another one they all seem to overuse.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:15 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
"For sure" is another one they all seem to overuse.
Yep, I think maybe 10% of the NHL gives good interviews and that is probably being generous.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
IMO no. You never win a deal when you trade the best player.
Beauch for Lupul and Gardiner? Lupul was a cap dump and him and Gardiner are looking pretty good right now... Usually that is true, but it all depends on circumstances, who the draft picks/prospects turn out to be, etc. And in this case with Staal later admitting he wanted a larger role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSN
Staal said, later adding that "I felt really comfortable in that (prominent offensive) role and I wanted to try to score and see if I could really do some good things in that role."

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Tafkak

Send a message via AIM to Tafkak
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Asham was/is ridiculous. I can't remember what he says but he can't go three words without saying it. Off the top of my head I think it's "you know."

Tafkak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:48 PM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStinger View Post
If Poulliot turns out to be a gamer, this might have been a huge win for us. A good young center to keep our 3rd line rolling and a defenceman in a couple of years time to replenish the stocks. Sounds good.
It seems like everyone is not giving enough love for Dumoulin who is ready to compete for an NHL. Job and is as good a prospect as Despres and Harrington. He is 6'4" and is a very good defensive dman who has enough skill to get the puck up ice to the forwards. Our future D in a few years will be the best in the NHL.

Letang
Morrow
Poulliot
Maatta
Despres
Dumoulin
Harrington

7 studs plus guys like Strait, Bortuzzo, and others that are legit prospects. I don't see Orpik and Martin making it past next summer before being traded and if some of our prospects shine in camp those bets might be gone real fast. Love what Shero is doing. It will be just sick if the Suter rumors are true. I really rather have Parise because we have the future stud D and some are ready now or close but who is Crosby's future Neal? Would love Suter but Parise makes the Pens much better for the next 6 years and Suter would also be great but not as important in another year when many prospects are ready. Not saying they will be Suter ready but top 4 ready and many of them.

CrosbyMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
I rather have Suter than Parise. Suter type defensemen don't grow on trees, even in the Penguins farm system. Pens had the best offense in the league last year iirc. Parise would be amazing obviously, but the playoffs showed us that we're missing certain pieces on D. Plus, a Letang and Suter pairing is just... unfair.

Regardless, I would be ridiculously happy with either one.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Sheros Heroes

Jordan plays 20 minutes a game. That is enough? His comments are basically saying "I don't want to PK anymore"

Sheros Heroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheros Heroes View Post
Jordan plays 20 minutes a game. That is enough? His comments are basically saying "I don't want to PK anymore"
Eh, with Sid and Geno healthy those 20 minutes consist of playing mostly with TK and Cooke at ES, PKing, and getting throwaway powerplay time. He's in a much better position in Carolina in terms of getting prime ice time.

His return to Pittsburgh is going to be interesting. I'm really hoping the boos are kept to a minimum.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:27 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheros Heroes View Post
You can play 20 mins a game and have a specified role. We all know when Sid is in the lineup Staal's role changes from being a scoring role to a defensive role. I really can't blame the guy for wanting to try to spread his wings rather than being pigeonholed.

I think what sort of bums me out the most is that we watched Staal grow and develop the last 6 years, and he was just turning that corner, and we can't enjoy it. I wish nothing but the best for the guy. I just hope when he comes back to town fans appreciate what he did. He doesn't deserve a single boo. For 6 years he was a good soldier and did whatever was asked of him to help this club win. He in no way disrespected the organization.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:34 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyMalkin View Post
It seems like everyone is not giving enough love for Dumoulin who is ready to compete for an NHL. Job and is as good a prospect as Despres and Harrington. He is 6'4" and is a very good defensive dman who has enough skill to get the puck up ice to the forwards. Our future D in a few years will be the best in the NHL.

Letang
Morrow
Poulliot
Maatta
Despres
Dumoulin
Harrington

7 studs plus guys like Strait, Bortuzzo, and others that are legit prospects. I don't see Orpik and Martin making it past next summer before being traded and if some of our prospects shine in camp those bets might be gone real fast. Love what Shero is doing. It will be just sick if the Suter rumors are true. I really rather have Parise because we have the future stud D and some are ready now or close but who is Crosby's future Neal? Would love Suter but Parise makes the Pens much better for the next 6 years and Suter would also be great but not as important in another year when many prospects are ready. Not saying they will be Suter ready but top 4 ready and many of them.
You're gonna say all 7 (6 since Letang is here already are locks to be studs? Odds are at least one of them never even becomes a regular.

bathroomSTAAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Even if they all become studs, that's a guarantee they won't all stay here for very long. If they're all studs they're all going to want $3-4M contracts after their rookie deals are up, some more if they really excel. Your bottom pairing guys are never likely to be studs (or stick around very long if they are).