Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Draft Summary and HF player projections

Old
06-23-2012, 01:46 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 500
2012 Draft Summary and HF player projections

Alright, I thought it could be interesting if we could summarize the draft in here and talk collectively about the Wild's entire weekend. Also, we could try to guess how we think hockey's future will rank and rate our prospects.

1st Round 7th Overall: Matt Dumba - Good pick, although many of you know i would have preferred Jacob Trouba. Reading up on him, I think that he can be a good to great player going forward, although he has a stigma of being a case of boom/bust, moreso than most prospects. Being compared to a guy like Phaneuf or Subban, but also being talked about as a risk of a complete bust, I would guess that hockey's future will rate him as a 8.5D

2nd Round 46th Overall: Raphael Bussieres - A power forward with consistency issues, he sounds a bit like Latendresse or Penner. I would guess a 7.5C

3rd Round 68th Overall: Jon Draeger - He compares himself to Brent Seabrook, but looking around, some places don't see him as having as that type of upside. I will guess that hockey's future will rate him as a 7.0C

4th Round 98th Overall: Adam Gilmour - He looks like he could be groomed to be a low end 2nd line center or high end 3rd, similar to Brodziak. I would guess he is rated as a 6.5B

5th Round 128th Overall: Daniel Gunnarsson - An overager late bloomer, his upside probably isn't all that high, although Flahr said some of his scouts were high on him. He seems solid in his own end, and looks like he could become a decent pick. 6.0C

6th Round 158th Overall: Christoph Bertschy - True boom/bust prospect, according to what has been said. Could become a good second liner, but is unlikely to reach it, according to his work ethic issues and lack of consistency. I would guess a 7.0D

7th Round 188th Overall: Louis Nanne - A homer cake-eater pick if I've ever seen one, Nanne projects to be a low 2nd/high 3rd round guy and I could see hockey's future rating him as a 6.0C

Overall, of the past three drafts, I would say this looks like it could be the weakest, IMO.

Looking at prospect rankings, I would make a top-10 like this:

10. Raphael Bussieres
9. Brett Bulmer
8. Johan Larsson
7. Jason Zucker
6. Zach Phillips
5. Matt Hackett
4. Matt Dumba
3. Charlie Coyle
2. Jonas Brodin
1. Mikael Granlund

So, Wild board, what say you about our draft this season and how the pipeline looks now?

Last edited by tyratoku: 06-23-2012 at 02:33 PM.
tyratoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Love the Dumba pick. Love his skillset and attitute.

Gilmour is intriguing to me, based solely off the fact that he's going to BC. York obviously sees something in him as well.

Didn't know any of the names, other than the first and the last, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Can't put any of the new guys (other than Dumba) into the top 10 yet. I think Lucia, Haula and Kuemper deserve to be higher.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'…toile du Nord

vCash: 1000
Those grades are way too high.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Sportsfan1

Overall not as exciting, but these are longer term projects with the 6 forwards we have turning pro this year, so understand the thought process and we'll see how they go. Top 10 for me does not include these guys right now though. I LOVE Haula and think he is a true star in the making for us, really do.

10. Erik Haula
9. Brett Bulmer
8. Zach Phillips
7. Jason Zucker
6. Johan Larsson
5. Matt Dumba
4. Matt Hackett
3. Charlie Coyle
2. Jonas Brodin
1. Mikael Granlund

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:29 PM
IronRangeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
Overall not as exciting, but these are longer term projects with the 6 forwards we have turning pro this year, so understand the thought process and we'll see how they go. Top 10 for me does not include these guys right now though. I LOVE Haula and think he is a true star in the making for us, really do.

10. Erik Haula
9. Brett Bulmer
8. Zach Phillips
7. Jason Zucker
6. Johan Larsson
5. Matt Dumba
4. Matt Hackett
3. Charlie Coyle
2. Jonas Brodin
1. Mikael Granlund

I like this opinion..

I think Haula's game is blowing up! And a bit under the radar, but not for long.

I loved the Dumba pick and would put him ahead f Hackett (only change i'd make to your grades.

IronRangeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:32 PM
LemaireisGOD

My take...

http://www.stateofhockeynews.com/201...ect-shelf.html

I have a complete rundown of the 2nd day selections. I have some video and analysis of all of the picks. With boiled down summaries from the scouting publications as well as my own personal take. I think its really way way too early to really know what we have with this group. Especially when you consider how many long-term projects there are with this draft class. Check it out!

LemaireisGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:32 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Those grades are way too high.
I would say that Draeger, Gunnarsson, and Nanne are a bit high, looking back at them. I'll go back and change them a bit. Otherwise, I'm confident about the rest.

tyratoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:33 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
Outside of Dumba, I can't even make a guess as to what grades these players should have....I'll need to see them on the ice this summer at the very least before I can start forming an opinion.

That being said, my initial (and uneducated) opinion is that Gilmour seems to be the most promising of all the later picks.

I just like the fact that three blueliners have been added to the stable....really interested in seeing the Swede as he is an overager and could possibily play in Houston next season.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Haite
x

When will we have the prospect ranking polls?

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'…toile du Nord

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
I would say that Draeger, Gunnarsson, and Nanne are a bit high, looking back at them. I'll go back and change them a bit. Otherwise, I'm confident about the rest.
Yep, those were the prospects that I was questioning. Still not sure Bussieres is a 7.5C, but it's still too early to tell for most of these kids.

Last edited by Minnesota: 06-23-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:38 PM
LordFletcher

10. Erik Haula
9. Brett Bulmer
8. Zach Phillips
7. Jason Zucker
6. Johan Larsson
2b. Matt Hackett
2a. Matt Dumba
1c. Charlie Coyle
1b. Jonas Brodin
1a. Mikael Granlund

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:47 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:

10. Erik Haula
9. Brett Bulmer
8. Zach Phillips
7. Jason Zucker
6. Johan Larsson
5. Matt Dumba
4. Matt Hackett
3. Charlie Coyle
2. Jonas Brodin
1. Mikael Granlund
I like Haula and was happy to see him break out as a sophomore but there are plenty of things in his game which preclude him from being that at the next level. He's still too inconsistent and needs to work on his skating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
When will we have the prospect ranking polls?
Some time after free agency dies down.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:59 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

My top ten hasn't changed...

10-Lucia
9-Bulmer
8-Phillips
7-Zucker
6-Hackett
5-Dumba
4-Larsson
3-Coyle
2-Brodin
1-Granlund

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:03 PM
saywut

Dumba - If the first 6 players fell differently, I'd be alot more disappointed with this pick. But my top-5 went top-5, and after that it was wide open. While not entirely the same player, Dumba was this year's Ryan Murphy, someone with a unique/tantalizing skill-set who was only going to need 1 team to fall in love with him to see his name come off quickly. He's got concerns but as a 16/17 year old in the WHL they haven't really hindered his game. With our scoring not improving after trading a dynamic d-man for a scorer, it was evident we needed a new dynamic d-man. Matt Dumba can be that guy, with his offensive instincts, great quickness, and an elite shot.

Bussieres - Like Brett Bulmer in 2010, this is a physical winger with talent but inconsistencies. As with Bulmer there were much "safer" options but he looks to be working out fine, hopefully the same happens for Bussieres.

Draeger - Upside concerns, but its the 3rd round. College route buys a couple more years(than the CHL) to refine his game before going pro.

Gilmour - Another college-bound player, good size and improved as the season went on.

Gunnarsson - Passed over a couple times, but became a full-time Elitserien player this past season. Good size. On the same team as Wild goalie prospect Johan Gustafsson, likely the only reason he was scouted/drafted. With he and Gustafsson both being '92s on Lulea(and rookies who came from other programs) perhaps they bonded last year or can bond this year playing together, and ease their transition to the North American pro game together.

Bertschy - Had some hype around him before/during the season that he'd go quite a bit earlier. Quite an impressive resume in the Swiss Junior leagues, and played in the top league last year with Bern. Upside pick in the 6th round.

Nanne - Another college player who will get 3+ years of evaluation before Fletcher needs to make a decision.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:09 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

In regards to Bertschy, from what I've seen he has absolutely no problem with on ice work ethic. His off ice behavior isn't so rigorous, but one of his better qualities is his on ice motor. I don't think it's fair to label him "poor work ethic" because people naturally apply that to being lazy in the game (coughSemincough) rather than where it should apply in this case.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:15 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Yep, those were the prospects that I was questioning. Still not sure Brussieres is a 7.5C, but it's still too early to tell for most of these kids.
Bussieres has the makeup for a top line player, he just has a long way to go to get there. I'd expect him to top out as a second liner, but it's not unreasonable to think he has a shot at higher. He was the third best scorer on a bad Drakkar team, and was only beaten out by a couple 2010 draft eligibles. He was also third in goals scored on his team, being beaten out by a '10 eligible and '09 eligible.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:54 PM
nickschultzfan

Feelings on the draft (not so much a scouting report, as others have done a much better job at that)

Dumba - He fits a major need, and the brass was very high on him. He's a know assets, and he'll bring energy and excitement every night. At the very least, he'll generate offense. And the very best, he'll be a guy that can put the team on his back and do everything.

Bussieres - Initially, I was like "eh." A guy with ok offense and some size. Maybe he'll turn into something. But, then I thought about all of our 2nd rounders from the past two drafts. Felt the same about all of them. With Bulmer, I was wondering why we spend a high 2nd on a guy who didn't produce much offense. Larsson the same. Zucker same. Lucia I questioned whether his offense would translate to the next level. Now, all of those guys are solid picks and those player will be filling out the middle portion of the Wild some day. And, after I think about this pick and watch some videos, its possible that Bussieres has a higher ceiling than all of them. The guy played for a low-offense team and was one of their better scorers. He's fast, can hit, and seems to have really good hands. And he can be nasty. He's the perfect guy to not rush, but let grow, bulk up, and learn to dominate offensively at every level he plays at. In 4 years, we could have a complete stud.

Draeger - Has the tools to be a good top-4 Dman, but needs time to improve. Give him four years in the Big Ten and an AHL season or two. Then, at 24, you'll have a guy who can step into the line-up.

Gilmour - Projects out as a solid 3rd line center. Maybe he'll bloom in college. Maybe he'll never make it. Worth the risk. Will be available when Brodziak and Larrson are gone or moving on to a better role.

Gunnarsson - Probably never see him in the US, but low-risk, decent reward gamble.

Bertschy - These kinds of picks have some excitement to them, because of getting a high skilled guy so late, but they rarely pan out. Maybe I'll be surprised. The guy is playing in a mens league and he has looked good in international tournaments. But when was the last time Swiss forward was an impact player in the NHL?

Nanne - Eh.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:

10. Erik Haula
9. Brett Bulmer
8. Zach Phillips
7. Jason Zucker
6. Johan Larsson
5. Matt Dumba
4. Matt Hackett
3. Charlie Coyle
2. Jonas Brodin
1. Mikael Granlund

This is a perfect top 10. Only thing I'd maybe change is put Coyle ahead of Brodin.

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:04 PM
LordFletcher

not related but Scheen was just traded for JVR.

interesting

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:04 PM
IronRangeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
This is a perfect top 10. Only thing I'd maybe change is put Coyle ahead of Brodin.
I thought his rankngs was good to, but I would put Dumba ahead of Hackett, and now thinking aout it I agee with you and I'd alo put Coyle ahead o Brodin..

IronRangeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:14 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Bertschy - These kinds of picks have some excitement to them, because of getting a high skilled guy so late, but they rarely pan out. Maybe I'll be surprised. The guy is playing in a mens league and he has looked good in international tournaments. But when was the last time Swiss forward was an impact player in the NHL?
Don't know the last but the next is Sven Baertschi. His 3 goals in 5 NHL games makes him a huge threat for the Calder this year.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:15 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Coyle in front of Brodin? Are you nuts? I'd go back and forth as to whether Coyle should be fourth or if Hackett should be ahead of him...

Old
06-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Haite
x

1. Mikael Granlund
2. Matt Dumba
3. Jonas Brodin
4. Charlie Coyle
5. Johan Larsson
6. Matt Hackett
7. Zach Phillips
8. Jason Zucker
9. Brett Bulmer
10. RaphaŽl BussiŤres

Hard decision between Dumba and Brodin, but Dumba's offensive potential makes me feel like when if Wild's #1 D pairing ends up being Brodin-Dumba, he would be considered the #1 D-man. A little bit of a new toy syndrome might be present too, which is also pretty much the reason why I have Bussieres before Lucia.

Last edited by Haite: 06-23-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:36 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

This draft was about the long game as we are pretty stocked up now. Only Dumba was a pick I would say should have fit an immediate need.

But I liked what Minnesota did; picked a bunch of guys that don't need to be signed for a while, and store them. We saw this shift a bit last year with Seeler, Lucia and Michalek after the haul in 2010. (Bulmer, Larsson, Zucker, Granlund). Minnesota is now planning long term instead of short term and maybe, just maybe one of these guys might project faster and better than where they were selected, giving Minnesota options to move around. If not, they can keep them safe in the NCAA where they can develop at their own pace.

It's hard to grade this draft because most of these guys won't be around for 4-6 years and shouldn't have an impact for at least 7-8 years down the road.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Gotta say I'm a little underwhelmed. Rather than taking solid players with some upside, they took a lot of real long shot players. Was disappointed they didn't take any goal scorers, which we sorely lack.

Funny that it was basically dumba and then a bunch of projects who don't project to be crack the to ten.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote