HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Pens trade Michalek to Phoenix for Harrison Ruopp, Marc Cheverie, 3rd-round pick

Old
06-26-2012, 10:46 PM
canadianguy77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I always felt for goalies. My buddy played for the GB Gamblers in the U. He was a 3rd goalie and said it sucked because you can't go any higher even though that's a prestigious league.

I was invited to play one year in the EJ and then I was going to try my luck in the USHL or the OHL, but at the time, the OHL was really looked down upon (back in 2004-2006). A lot of kids were staying away from it. Went to school instead as the lockout was on it's way and I didn't feel that was a good road to take. Who would have guessed the NHL would get stronger? I also had a tryout in 2004 (my senior year) for Youngstown Phantom Rockets and played amazing but somehow didn't make the team. It was the most ******** tryout in the world. I played out of my mind and had the most points on defense + was sound in my end. I hate playing the ole "it was rigged!" card but I felt like it was.

But yeah.. goaltending was a TOUGH tryout. I remember the tryout for Youngstown alone had 12 goalies for 2-3 spots. That's ridiculous.

To go full circle and somehow find our way on topic, the life of a defensive dman is so tough. Scouts rarely look for it. I will be very honest and say I was in the right place/right time when I was 16 years old and was so blessed to have 2 scouts pay attention to me. That's why I feel this Ruopp kid can play. I want to see him for an extender period of time.
Really? I'm grew up in Northwestern Ontario, and everyone I knew salivated at an opportunity to play in the O. The USHL was actually more of a last chance route to take. And thats not because we were already in Ontario, as Northwestern Ontario is closer to more USHL teams than it is to most OHL teams. Hmmm...wierd, never heard of that before, is all.

canadianguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:11 PM
deakka

I guess we could say the return was only the pick and Ruopp since the Goalie we got - Cheverie , didnt get a qualifying offer and will becoma an UFA

deakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 03:16 PM
wej20

maybe Sid will pay him 100k to mow his lawn.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Interesting that they didn't qualify the goalie. I wonder what the hell was the point in acquiring the kid then?

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:07 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Interesting that they didn't qualify the goalie. I wonder what the hell was the point in acquiring the kid then?
Phoenix threw him in because Michalek would have put them over the 50 contract limit.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Strange move. Cheverie was up for the Hobey Baker not too long ago. He put up a .932 in the WCHA.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 09:13 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Strange move. Cheverie was up for the Hobey Baker not too long ago. He put up a .932 in the WCHA.
Are you saying the former Hobey Baker candidate's stock went down hard?

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 02:57 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Are you saying the former Hobey Baker candidate's stock went down hard?
This post was constructed with the utmost finesse, and I approve.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 03:22 AM
deakka

Not that hes been having a great career after college. But seeing how the situation of goaltenders look in the pipeline, i wouldnt have whined if the signed him.

Thiessen is as good as gone, and i have no idea if Munroe will be re-signed or not. So that leaves Killeen. So that leaves 1 goalie in WBS, and 0 in Wheeling (i know we split wheeling with some other team, but i would guess we have 1 spot there for a goalie at least?). The newly drafted goalies will not be turnong pro this year.

So that means we will have to sign/trade for at LEAST 2 goalies imo.

deakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:56 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Not that hes been having a great career after college. But seeing how the situation of goaltenders look in the pipeline, i wouldnt have whined if the signed him.

Thiessen is as good as gone, and i have no idea if Munroe will be re-signed or not. So that leaves Killeen. So that leaves 1 goalie in WBS, and 0 in Wheeling (i know we split wheeling with some other team, but i would guess we have 1 spot there for a goalie at least?). The newly drafted goalies will not be turnong pro this year.

So that means we will have to sign/trade for at LEAST 2 goalies imo.

We share Wheeling with Montreal. Where are the penguins at with contracts? That might be the reason why they did not make a qualifying offer to Cheverie. Just a question.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:23 AM
Stecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
We share Wheeling with Montreal. Where are the penguins at with contracts? That might be the reason why they did not make a qualifying offer to Cheverie. Just a question.
33 actually signed, 46 if you include all the RFAs (qualified and non-qualified). http://capgeek.com/reserve_lists.php...6&year_id=2012

Stecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:30 AM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecz View Post
33 actually signed, 46 if you include all the RFAs (qualified and non-qualified). http://capgeek.com/reserve_lists.php...6&year_id=2012
Thats pretty kool, and the Pens didnt qualify 6 of the RFAs

Last edited by khaoskennedy: 06-28-2012 at 08:14 AM.
khaoskennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:41 AM
regard

Maybe they'll try to get Cheverie on an AHL contract for now.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 07:30 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecz View Post
Thank you Stecz. I was not certain. So not counting the nonqualified guys, the Penguins would have 40 contracts. (Thank you Kaoskennedy). Figure that Poulliot and Maatta are most likely going to get contracts. That is 42. A couple of two way contracts for guys like Craig, MacDonald, and that ilk. Add in one or two for a goalie and it looks like 47 roughly.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:32 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Maybe they'll try to get Cheverie on an AHL contract for now.
I would guess so since they need at least two more in the system. Unless they still have plans to sign that Finnish goalie. No proof though. Maybe they will re-sign John Curry.

Last edited by Solution: 06-28-2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: correcting typo much later than I should have noticed it.
Old
06-28-2012, 07:42 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
I would guess so since they need at least two more in the system. Unless they still have plans to sign that Finnish goalie. No proof though. Maybe they will resign John Curry.
love the spicy curry

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote