HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Pens trade Michalek to Phoenix for Harrison Ruopp, Marc Cheverie, 3rd-round pick

Old
06-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Illinest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jorgi View Post
Who on earth convinced you Michalek was a physical defenseman?!? That has never been his calling card. Never.
That's not even what I said.

It's more a reflection of the talent that we had when he was acquired. Shero must've felt that he could handle a more physical role. After Orpik who do you have? Letang - who plays hard but is not very big and has other skills that we'd be wise to utilize? Engelland wasn't a proven option when Michalek was acquired. Martin obviously wasn't acquired for his physicality, nor Goligoski when he was still here.

I'm just saying that Shero must've thought that Michalek could fill that role, but he didn't. Especially this past year.

Illinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
This is pathetically awful for what has been the best D-man defensively on our team for both our last playoffs.

I almost don't have words for how much I hate this.
Let the offseason play out a bit before you take the bridge.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Icarium

What the hell? Michalek had a down year but still we should have gotten something better for him. In the new shot-blocking obsessed NHL we just traded our best shot-blocker. I don't get it.

Icarium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MonsterSurge

Ruopp fights and he's not bad at it. Good trade, Shero!

We have to remeber; this was probably done for a reason.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Jahodac

Um, who spiked Shero's water on the draft floor?

Jahodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Zirakzigil

Not liking the assets that were returned in this. Should and could have gotten more. This better be part of a bigger package coming in. Thats now 4 more defensemen prospects this team got tonight.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:51 PM
MtlPenFan

I come home to this god ****ing dammit?

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:52 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Imagine the scene at Staals wedding right now with all the Penguins there..

''Shero traded Jordan and Z?! Man, I'm turning my phone off...''

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinest View Post
That's not even what I said.

It's more a reflection of the talent that we had when he was acquired. Shero must've felt that he could handle a more physical role. After Orpik who do you have? Letang - who plays hard but is not very big and has other skills that we'd be wise to utilize? Engelland wasn't a proven option when Michalek was acquired. Martin obviously wasn't acquired for his physicality, nor Goligoski when he was still here.

I'm just saying that Shero must've thought that Michalek could fill that role, but he didn't. Especially this past year.
Shero thought he could be exactly what he is ... a stay-at-home defenseman who excelled at shot-blocking. He's a strong guy and doesn't get pushed around, but he wasn't signed for his physicality, don't know where you're gettng this.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Scarecr0w

This will look so stupid when he doesn't get whoever he thinks he'll get come July 1st.

I would rahter seen him trade Martin for a bag of pucks than Z.

Scarecr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

i have no idea what is going on.

Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Michalek didn't come close to his expectations here, not even close...he just didn't get as much **** as Martin did because his contract wasn't as bad.

The return on the deal was less than I'd have hoped for, but obviously this deal was made in the preparation for July 1 and with a limited market for our two dud defenders.

Now if we fail to get any of the big names on the market...everyone can feel free to ***** all they want.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Ruopp is pretty nasty, he throws some big hits on top of his fighting.

The Pens really don't have anyone else like that in the pipeline.

I remember people on HF complaing about a couple of his hits, so he'll be a good fit here.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirakzigil View Post
Not liking the assets that were returned in this. Should and could have gotten more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarium View Post
What the hell? Michalek had a down year but still we should have gotten something better for him.
Yeah, I'm sure you both have all the intel about what else was available for Michalek.

"We should have gotten more for him!!11" is one of the most asinine responses to a trade in all of sports. Congratulations.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:58 PM
pensfan79

Michalek is just a shot blocker, he is not physical, clear the net kinda guy and Depres is ready to handle his role at a lower cost. Not to sound like Brian Burke, but this was an asset we purchased and didn't give up anything for in the first place. Second pairing defensemen are not impossible to replace. Besides we couldnt we trade the third rounder for Dan Hamhuis.

pensfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Let the offseason play out a bit before you take the bridge.
It doesn't matter if we get one of the prime UFA's. Michalek being here would not have prevented us from signing Parise or Suter or whatever.

IF we had needed to dump his salary, we could have done it afterwards. Judge this deal on its own merits. It is horrible.

It is a 25 year old AHL backup with a below .900 save percentage. A physical project D-man who is 10th or so on our non-NHL depth chart, at best, and a friggin third rounder.

It simply sucks. I would rather have Whitney's RIGHTS than any of this crap. For a TOP4 defenseman, signed to reasonable terms for two more years. It beggars belief.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Ruopp is pretty nasty, he throws some big hits on top of his fighting.

The Pens really don't have anyone else like that in the pipeline.

I remember people on HF complaing about a couple of his hits, so he'll be a good fit here.
As a defenseman? There's zero chance of him making it to the roster unless he can switch to forward.

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jaded-Fan

Roupp taking a run at a player then fighting.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Robo-Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarium View Post
What the hell? Michalek had a down year but still we should have gotten something better for him. In the new shot-blocking obsessed NHL we just traded our best shot-blocker. I don't get it.
The problem with a guy who blocks a lot of shots is that it requires the other team to be in your zone with the puck a lot. And they have been.

I'm pretty sure Michalek is a subpar defenseman who makes up for it reputationally by blocking a lot of the extra shots he allows.

Robo-Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Illinest

Quote:
Shero thought he could be exactly what he is ... a stay-at-home defenseman who excelled at shot-blocking. He's a strong guy and doesn't get pushed around, but he wasn't signed for his physicality, don't know where you're gettng this.
He did get pushed around, he did not block as many shots. I think maybe you weren't watching enough. He was bad this year.

But I did like his game quite a bit in the season prior. I liked Michalek until his game slipped.

Illinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Michalek didn't come close to his expectations here, not even close...he just didn't get as much **** as Martin did because his contract wasn't as bad.
I'm actually surprised that Shero was willing to cut bait on Michalek. He could have easily justified keeping him and I think many GM's would since they would be worried that trading a high-priced free agent a couple years into a deal would look bad for them and would have kept the player around as a sunk cost. Impressed that Shero is actively trying to move Martin and has moved Michalek and realizing that keeping players around who aren't performing to their contracts in a cap league is a big folly and not worth trying to save face on. Cut your losses and move on and hopefully use the cap space better next time.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:01 PM
maxpenguins6630

I'm sure we could have gotten more... I am a bit shocked by the return... And Pouliot the pick at the 8th overall...

I am doubting about Shero right now.... I am not sure we will sign Parise or Suter either.... It's a gamble... I have nothing against trading Michalek to make room ... But the return ....

maxpenguins6630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
As a defenseman? There's zero chance of him making it to the roster unless he can switch to forward.
He obviously isn't going to make it this year, but you never know how things will end up down the road. He's only 19.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Jahodac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
It doesn't matter if we get one of the prime UFA's. Michalek being here would not have prevented us from signing Parise or Suter or whatever.

IF we had needed to dump his salary, we could have done it afterwards. Judge this deal on its own merits. It is horrible.

It is a 25 year old AHL backup with a below .900 save percentage. A physical project D-man who is 10th or so on our non-NHL depth chart, at best, and a friggin third rounder.

It simply sucks. I would rather have Whitney's RIGHTS than any of this crap. For a TOP4 defenseman, signed to reasonable terms for two more years. It beggars belief.
Don't worry, that 3rd round pick will fetch a good defensive prospect!

Jahodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:03 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
Shero was assistant gm in Nashville when they drafted Suter. BOOM
Is there anyone in the NHL that doesn't have the "Shero in Nashville" connection at this point?

I think he was in the front office when the Preds selected Gretzky too...lol.

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote