HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Welcome back, Zbynek

Old
06-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Are you saying Jovo, Upshall, Stempy, and a few others i can't name right now aren't apart of that gang as well??

Also, it seems Lombardi played his best hockey when he was paired with Upshall.
People from the old gang I care about.

If we really wanted to do a reunion tour, I thought Upshall looked pretty good in the playoffs (what little I saw of that series), but Upshall's contract is pretty bad. I'd gamble on Lombardi because he has actually put together a 50 point season in the past and if he doesn't regain offensive form, he's probably still useful with his faceoffs and speed. I think he did some PK when he was here, didn't he?

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

I don't want Stempy back and Upshall despite his injury history can still score dispite his inability to play on special teams. I wouldn't mind him back as well since he did do well for the Panthers in the playoffs.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
People from the old gang I care about.

If we really wanted to do a reunion tour, I thought Upshall looked pretty good in the playoffs (what little I saw of that series). Upshall's contract is bad. I'd gamble on Lombardi because he has actually put together a 50 point season in the past and if he doesn't regain offensive form, he's probably still useful with his faceoffs and speed. I think he did some PK when he was here, didn't he?
Oh ok, LOL.

I'm not sure if Lombardi was on the PK or not.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:32 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I have no interest in Upshall or Stempniak.

Lombardi can be effective. I don't believe either of the other two would be.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Alamo

Honestly, I just want good ol' Fiddler back!

Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:05 PM
silvsiara

Greetings from a Pens Fan

Just wanted to congratulate you guys on getting Z back. I know his last season was not the greatest but I wonder what role his hip injury played in it. He and Paul Martin get a really bad rap from a lot of Pens' fans when there is absolutely no acknowledgement of the problems with our system. Congrats again on Z, I think Shero made a mistake with the salary dump because that's exactly what it was. I wish we still had Z.

silvsiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:06 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
Honestly, I just want good ol' Fiddler back!
He would be pretty redundant with Gordon hanging around. I'd honestly rather keep Chip too.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:07 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Fiddler was god awful in the first series against the wings and totally invisible in the second. As soon as we replace him with Gordon our PK went from shockingly weak to rightfully elite. Gordon is amazing. I had a laugh when Fiddler signed with a division rival. I thought they sure are not going to get what they hope they are going to get.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

I like Fiddlers work ethic and how gritty he can be in the regular season, but I'll pass on him and Gordon is a great upgrade over him.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:15 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

I disagree though with those who don't want Upshall back as despite his injury history he was one of our more consistant scorers and it makes me wonder in the LA series if his scoring touch would still be there to make up for both Whitney and Vrbata not doing much as the playoffs got deeper.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

His contract is really bad considering he hasn't really put together a good complete season. 3.5 million a year until 2015? No thanks. Vrbata only makes 3.0

I loved Upshall, but he's untouchable in the bad way.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:30 AM
mitch27

Gordon is one of my favourite Coyotes. I hope we lock him up for another 3/4 years. Our PK is going to unreal with him and Michalek.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Shepard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
Gordon is one of my favourite Coyotes. I hope we lock him up for another 3/4 years. Our PK is going to unreal with him and Michalek.
Smith could take a nap with those two out there.

Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvsiara View Post
Just wanted to congratulate you guys on getting Z back. I know his last season was not the greatest but I wonder what role his hip injury played in it. He and Paul Martin get a really bad rap from a lot of Pens' fans when there is absolutely no acknowledgement of the problems with our system. Congrats again on Z, I think Shero made a mistake with the salary dump because that's exactly what it was. I wish we still had Z.
Thank you and good luck to Pittsburgh.

Looking at Pittsburgh's case right now it appears they are going all in to winning next cup next season after getting embarassed by the Flyers in the 1st round. I don't like their apporach though as it appears Piitsburgh is going to rely too much on offense to not only score the majority of the teams goals but to also to try and rely on more offensemen to play D more to make up for any of the short cummings on D in the process. Of course such a gamble will take place if Pittsburgh can land Parise and Nash in free agency period. In going all in, the Pens are hoping as well Fleury will regain his form from when he won the cup with Pittsburgh.

Seems like a foolish gamble to me not only if the Pens end up selling a good chunk of their picks away in the future for Nash and for any moves in the 12-13 season before the deadline, but also Pittsburgh won't stand a chance vs the Kings if they are weak on D.

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 06-24-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old
06-24-2012, 01:50 PM
silvsiara

Many thanks. For anyone with even an ounce of sense (including some of my brethren, though not all), it was apparent after Crosby came back that there were huge problems with the team. It's easy to blame the defensemen but absolutely no one can explain how Z, Orpik, and Martin each had a terrible season when they were so good the year before. Very few acknowledge that the whole team stopped playing defence, starting with the forwards. We had three very embarrassing and very telling losses in the final weeks of the season, namely an 8-4 loss to Ottawa and 2 5-3 losses to the Islanders. And Philadelphia had our number then and again in 2011-2012.

To hear some in the media and also within the fan base, we were going to sweep the Flyers, maybe go 6 games max. We were apparently going to win the Cup. The Flyers' defence corps was held together by band-aids and while Bryzgalov may not have had the best series, he at least made some stops and Fleury was that much worse. I love Bylsma but his lack of in-game adjustments is maddening. Malkin had a 5-man unit on him for at least the first three games, including the ones at home, but Bylsma chased the Giroux-Staal match-up to the exclusion of everything else. Our penalty kill was horrid and it remained the same. The team's behaviour in Game 3 was beyond embarrassing. So much so that I didn't want to watch the rest of the series (losing is one thing but to lose composure like that was another entirely). He didn't even adjust the game plan until the team was in a 3-0 hole. A lot of us knew what the Flyers' game plan would be, they'd been using it against us all season, but apparently the team didn't. To hear the Devils at the start of the next round, they knew that they couldn't fall for the Flyers' tactics and they didn't. Credit goes to DeBoer and the players.

My personal opinion is that it's time for the system to change but all I have been hearing is how Z and Martin aren't suited to it. I would love to see if the Pens manage to get a big name defenseman and the same rubbish happens again (defensive breakdowns, bad turnovers and breakaways). It won't take long for that d-man to be thrown under the bus.

To be honest, I still don't get the salary dump. Maybe Shero wants to go all in for Suter come July 1st but if he doesn't sign him, dumping Z will have been a waste. In fact, I already see it as a waste. I don't expect Suter or Parise here, contrary to press opinion.

Z especially made a lot of fans once he acclimated into the system in 2010-11. We had the top penalty kill that season. He will be missed, while the Coyotes have one of the best d-corps in my opinion, and great coaching in Tippett. Good luck with the ownership saga, I sincerely hope it comes to a close.

silvsiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:40 AM
OOEEL

Am I the only one that would love to have Winnik back? Obviously he's a bottom six guy, but I liked him and I thought he was good on the PK. Had fond memories of him always being really aggressive and being able to pin teams back in their own zone and kill 10-15 seconds in a shift.

He is a free agent come July 1st...

OOEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:45 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Dan Winnik is a non stop contractual pain in the ass. Went to arbitration twice with the Yotes, iirc. Maloney did not have kind things to say when he washed his hands of him for a lousy pick. He's probably a great guy and he's a good player, but it seems like his agent is an ass.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:54 AM
OOEEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Dan Winnik is a non stop contractual pain in the ass. Went to arbitration twice with the Yotes, iirc. Maloney did not have kind things to say when he washed his hands of him for a lousy pick. He's probably a great guy and he's a good player, but it seems like his agent is an ass.
I seem to remember hearing about that on here. He definitely went to arbitration at least once, could have been twice. That could also be at least part of the reason why he was shipped out of Colorado at the deadline.

I think Korpi's stepped into Dan's role as the aggressive forechecker on the PK and is actually a bit of an upgrade, but as the thread had diverged into pining for old players I figured I'd throw Danny's hat into the ring.

OOEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:28 AM
GLM

good luck back "home" Z. never had a prob with his play, he just didnt fit with bylsma.

the move as soon as i heard it friday, figured this makes us HUGE players for parise/suter which made the deal a good one in my eyes.

nice guy from all accounts i have heard too. always glad to see a good guy go back to where hes comfortable.

whens the puck drop?!?! i miss hockey and enjoyed watching your squad i the POs after our shortened playoff trip

good luck!

GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:30 AM
smitty10

Looks like Phoenix is acquiring the Czech national team. How many is that now?

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:34 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Looks like Phoenix is acquiring the Czech national team. How many is that now?
Michalek makes four. Must be a hell of a national team.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:38 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Michalek makes four. Must be a hell of a national team.
guess that means that Don needs to get a LW and goalie, heard Hasek wants to make a comeback...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:40 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Hudler!

Old
06-25-2012, 02:37 PM
ParisSaintGermain

I am a bit wait and see on Z. To get him makes perfect sense, but I am glad we did not give up a lot to get him, as the way he plays takes a lot of a body, and he had a concussion this year. I am not expecting the Z of old if I am honest, bit I really hope I am wrong

ParisSaintGermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:43 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain View Post
I am a bit wait and see on Z. To get him makes perfect sense, but I am glad we did not give up a lot to get him, as the way he plays takes a lot of a body, and he had a concussion this year. I am not expecting the Z of old if I am honest, bit I really hope I am wrong
He doesn't have to be the Z of old. With the rest of this D corps, he'll be playing fewer minutes a night and won't be relied upon in all of the most difficult situations.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote