HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Bold Statement by Calgary GM on Jankowski

Old
06-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

vCash: 500
If the scouts are that high on him its fine. Trust your scouts.

Also, please know that not all Oiler's fans dont want to finish in the lottery last year. We better be competing next year imo.

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by giza View Post
Calgary cannot afford to speculate. They have one of the worst prospect pools in the NHL. This may prove a shrewd pick, but I think I would have gone a much safer route.
Calgary should have picked Teuvo Teravainen.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdhawan89 View Post
If the scouts are that high on him its fine. Trust your scouts.

Also, please know that not all Oiler's fans dont want to finish in the lottery last year. We better be competing next year imo.

This is what I'm in agreement with.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:21 AM
Rhaego

People need to stop being armchair GM's. It may not have been the greatest asset management to take the kid that early, but they trusted their scouts and got the guy they wanted.

A few years from now we'll be laughing at who the "winners" and "losers" of the draft were. Half these kids will likely have little to no impact on their franchises future.

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:22 AM
Puckgenius*

There was another center the Flames took heat for drafting in the 1st round many years ago - Joe Nieuwendyk. Look how that turned out,

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:22 AM
FlamesFan6612
#timerixonwho?

Jankowski is nearly a year younger than every other prospect, had he been born 2 days later, he would have had another year of development before being drafted, he probably would have been a top 10 pick or near it.

FlamesFan6612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:23 AM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by giza View Post
Calgary cannot afford to speculate. They have one of the worst prospect pools in the NHL. This may prove a shrewd pick, but I think I would have gone a much safer route.
Weisbrod said in an interview earlier this month that the Flames are done with safe picks. They're going for top 6 potential or bust.

Bottom 6 players are easy to find, be it through free agency or college free agents. The Flames have a ton of bottom 6 projected prospects, from Nemisz to Bouma. They are nothing special.

They'll take the risk at this point in what they considered a weak draft. Jankowski will either be a very good NHLer, or nothing at all.

As a team that had made nothing but safe picks in the past to achieve nothing, this is a welcome change for most Flames fans.

I fully expect to be responded by posts that argue nothing I've said besides simply saying "lol feaster sux and hes fat", but I guess I have little faith in this forum.

Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:23 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
no they won't
Until the Oil begin to pick gems outside of the top 5 in the draft and find a real D corps with a franchise goalie, I tend to agree with this. If the Wings had that collection of talent up front that they did but no Kronwall, Lidstrom or Rafalski and instead had rather ok d-men in their place, they'd be cupless in the last decade and mere pretenders. Tambellini will need to swap one of his prized four guys (Eberle, Hall, Nugent, Yakupov), Hemsky and/or Gagner in order to net him good future d-man. If he can't find them in the draft (and Jeff Petry is not going to be a top pairing guy and barely a passable top 4 guy), then that needs to occur. As talented as the Oil are up front, they still missed the playoffs by far last year and you can't rely on 6-5 wins all the way. The Oilers are not a playoff team next year unless a few big moves are pulled off. They're so rich in top end talent that any move won't risk blowing their future either IMO.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:26 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
2021 Calder Trophy Winner.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
nickerjones

Send a message via AIM to nickerjones Send a message via Yahoo to nickerjones
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegnaRouy View Post
Sorry you make it sound like they will leave without the Oilers getting any return.

I rather have a crop of Yakupov, Hall, RNH, Eberle and all 4 want to be out and we trade them for " needs " rather than drafting based on needs and waiting for those prospects to develope right. With a 1st round Draft pick, you DO NOT draft based on needs.
I would like to have that Pool of prospects too but I am also happy we haven't been the doormat of league for years ( last 3-4) to do it. The worst part is while yes you do have great talent ( I'm from OKC I get to see it first hand) you won't do anything with it . How many years is it gonna take to "build something special" up there? Things don't happen overnight but Im not seeing any improvement at all.. Did you have more pts this year than the previous 2 yrs ? yes but you were still next to last in the league.

Listen I am a Flames fan, I am not saying they are a great organization but at least Im a realist when it comes to it.

nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Ironic? Your post is ironic.

I've never seen Jankowski play, I'm not claiming this to be a super great pick, just a very risky one.

I blindly defend the Flames? And what do you do? Apparently you blindly attack them, because you've never seen the kid play.

The Flames could have done anything else today and you would have found another way to criticize it. I can't imagine being as spiteful as you are.
Overly sensitive much? I never said there was anything wrong with the kid, my issue is with where he was taken. It's very likely he could've been had in the 2nd round. Why make such a risky move at 21 when there are a LOT more safe picks still on the board? Open your eyes, I'm not the only one criticizing the Flames around here. It's plain as day for most that your prospect pool is lacking at best and Feaster had a perfect chance to add a player that could be NHL ready in 2 years time but didn't, opting for a project that could take 4-5 years to develop. If Calgary had a solid base of high-end prospects, then it wouldn't really be a big deal, but they don't. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly eat my words.

Seth Rollins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:27 AM
Kirikanoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Yea that Sven kid was a bust too wait a minute what?
I`m really beginning to feel sorry for this Sven Baertschi kid. The expectations being put on his shoulders by Flame fans is getting crazy. He`s played a grand total of 5 NHL games in his career and Calgary fans hype him like he`s going to be the savior of the hockey club.

Kirikanoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:27 AM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
There was another center the Flames took heat for drafting in the 1st round many years ago - Joe Nieuwendyk. Look how that turned out,

no words

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:28 AM
LukeD
On Fire

After 1.5 seasons, I think Feaster is "ok". He wasn't exactly given a desirable hand (slim prospects, NTCs out the wazoo), but he has done some good things.

He does say silly things though, and I'm not certain the Flames know which direction they're taking this team.

LukeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:29 AM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
2nd Coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirikanoir View Post
I`m really beginning to feel sorry for this Sven Baertschi kid. The expectations being put on his shoulders by Flame fans is getting crazy. He`s played a grand total of 5 NHL games in his career and Calgary fans hype him like he`s going to be the savior of the hockey club.
Flames fans are really Kreidering up poor Baertschi.

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:29 AM
Puckgenius*

Well he should have traded hemsky last year but he decided not to.

Poor MPS, the guy has fallen even further down their depth charts. Legit top 6 forward buried on the 4th line.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:30 AM
oats
outshot

Jay Feaster is an idiot. This kid played High School calibre hockey this season. This isn't a bold statement, its just plain stupid.

oats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:30 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
The Flames prospects have improved leaps and bounds over the last 2 years the problem with Sutter is he never went for a risky high skill player which is what our team needs top end talent. You could argue that TT could be that guy but so could Jan and we got a 2nd this is a terrible move but a risk.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:31 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Wow, this kid went from being an intriguing prospect that a lot of posters were HOPING would be available in the 2nd for their team to absolute garbage who will never touch NHL ice. Saying its so far off is wrong as well, he was deemed a wild card, could go anywhere between the mid first to the second round. Weisbrod said there were two teams ready to take him right after them, and I guarantee if they did, it would be a much different story. Flames hate is hilarious around here, kid literally got drafted hours ago, how about we wait and see.

tmurfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Puckgenius*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSLOCK REBEL View Post

no words
Not saying jankowski is gonna be the next joe Newy but just saying.

Old
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
I made no such thing. Merely stated that Feaster's drafting has been good here.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Well he should have traded hemsky last year but he decided not to.

Poor MPS, the guy has fallen even further down their depth charts. Legit top 6 forward buried on the 4th line.
When was he buried on the fourth line? I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Especially when in a span of a page, you go from Jankowski probably won't play in the NHL, to comparing him to Nieuwendyk.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:32 AM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oats View Post
Jay Feaster is an idiot. This kid played High School calibre hockey this season. This isn't a bold statement, its just plain stupid.
So hes like Patrick White? lol

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:33 AM
SickHandsNoShot

Quote:
OMG, he said Sven wasn't a bust. How the hell did you get that from that....

And people need to quit saying that he likely could have been had in the second round, it has already been said that at least two other teams had him lined up to be picked in the first.

SickHandsNoShot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:34 AM
Puckgenius*

Chris chucko, greg nesmisis, former flames 1st rounders from ages ago and look how those turned out.