HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Bold Statement by Calgary GM on Jankowski

Old
06-23-2012, 04:07 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
Since when is Calgary in a position to take a chance like this on a draft pick? I mean they clearly passed on TT to draft down and take a kid they probably could've had in the second round. If TT becomes special and Jankowski is not a top 10 player from the first round eventually then the Flames look like complete jack *****.
Obviously they thought Jankowski and whoever we pick in the 2nd will be better for the team than TT? We won't know for atleast a few years. Hell, maybe they seen the same thing that the 17 other teams that passed up on TT saw. TT was the sexy pick. Flames can't afford to take a player just because he is more hyped than another. If the Flames scouting staff feel Jank has a higher ceiling, than i trust them over a bunch of armchair gm's.

If they took the "sexy" pick last year we would have Armia instead of Bartschi, and I think we can all say that Bartschi has made himself known while Armia hasnt done much for his pedigree so far.

Last edited by tmurfin: 06-23-2012 at 04:16 AM.
tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:15 AM
Parise9Crosby87

vCash: 500
it was a bad move i feel bad for the flames fans

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:19 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
No, that is not true. Just further evidence that people hear what they want to hear.

Feaster said Jonh Weisbrod watched him play and called immediately to say that this is the kid that in ten years people will look back on as potenitally the best player taken in the draft.

This thread is a joke, and most of you look completely foolish for jumping to conclusions. Can't say I am surprised.
So the Flames based their 21st overall pick on one phone call to the GM from a scout regarding a kid playing at an inferior level?

Pathetic.

BrodeursCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:23 AM
TheSpaceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Obviously they thought Jankowski and whoever we pick in the 2nd will be better for the team than TT? We won't know for atleast a few years. Hell, maybe they seen the same thing that the 17 other teams that passed up on TT saw. TT was the sexy pick. Flames can't afford to take a player just because he is more hyped than another. If the Flames scouting staff feel Jank has a higher ceiling, than i trust them over a bunch of armchair gm's.

If they took the "sexy" pick last year we would have Armia instead of Bartschi, and I think we can all say that Bartschi has made himself known while Armia hasnt done much for his pedigree so far.
Bartschi was predicted to go a few spots after the flames picked him. Not at the end of the next round.

TheSpaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:30 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskysGoodShoulder View Post
Bartschi was predicted to go a few spots after the flames picked him. Not at the end of the next round.
Agreed. Bartschi was both "sexy" and smart.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:33 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskysGoodShoulder View Post
Jankowski was predicted anywhere from mid first to mid second? So seems like he was picked right around where he was projected to go. And my point was that Armia was hyped up so much more than Bartschi. Hype =/= better talent.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:36 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
So the Flames based their 21st overall pick on one phone call to the GM from a scout regarding a kid playing at an inferior level?

Pathetic.
Yes. One phone call. Do you even believe what your saying? A multi million dollar organization made a huge decision on one phone call? Thick head I suppose. Its been stated several times that Jankowski has been under their watch since December.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:41 AM
WarriorofTime

Holy crap, a player was projected to go in the 2nd round but ended up going in the 1st? Well it must be the case that he has the highest upside in the draft. Of course, I've never seen this player before because I don't watch Canadian High School Hockey but I'll assume it to be true because my team took him.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:41 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Jankowski was predicted anywhere from mid first to mid second? So seems like he was picked right around where he was projected to go. And my point was that Armia was hyped up so much more than Bartschi. Hype =/= better talent.
You have a point but your example is off because Armia was not hyped more than Bartschi IMO. In fact, many people had Bartschi higher than Armia.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:43 AM
Anodyne

GM Larry the Cable Guy with another good one. The man's completely delusional.

Anodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:44 AM
mrdonkey

Quote:

Pathetic.
What is truly pathetic is your assertion that a major sports franchise run by multi-millionaire businessmen would actually conduct business that way.

I've read some truly outlandish implications on this forum when it comes to the Flames but this is just getting cartoonish. The accusations this organization endures from armchair GMs like yourself makes it sound like Fred Flintstone is in charge. These people have forgotten more about hockey than you will ever know.

mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:49 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
Okay well he's 17 so try your math again and get back to us.
Im a Jankowski fan, I think it was a good pick, worth the risk, it's just gonna be a long time, he's got to get used to facing kids his size, and at his talent level, then he's got to get used to playing against adults who are much stronger and more experienced than he is.

I like Feaster alot personally, he's a damn good man, but he made a dumb statement ATM

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:52 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:

Pathetic.
First of all John Weisbrod is not just some "scout", he is the Assistant General Manager of the Calgary Flames, and oversee's anything related to the draft. Secondly, he was sent to see Jankowski by Todd Button (directior of scouting) for another set of eyes and opinions. Finally, Calgary had one or more scouts at everyone of Jankowski's game's from January to the end of the season.

So no, we did not base our 1st round selection off one phone call. That was simply the initial impression a respected hockey man got from his first viewing, and it obviously did not change.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:55 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
You have a point but your example is off because Armia was not hyped more than Bartschi IMO. In fact, many people had Bartschi higher than Armia.
I disagree. Although I admittedly didnt look into the 2011 draft too much, but I know I heard so much about Armias size and skill, than when we picked Bartschi, me and my buddies were like "who?"

But since everyone is taking tsn's rankings so seriously, they did have Armia ranked higher than Bartschi..

Last edited by tmurfin: 06-23-2012 at 05:03 AM.
Old
06-23-2012, 05:00 AM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Feaster is an idiot. Guarenteeing a playoff spot, claiming a project pick who came out of no where will be the best player to come out of this draft. He needs to keep his mouth shut because all he's doing is putting pressure on everyone in the organization. Not to mention, he'll look like a complete idiot if/when it doesn't work out.

EDIT - For those defending it was the scout who said that to Feaster. Doesn't matter. It's something he shouldn't say for the reasons I mentioned above.
I don't know how many times this can be said, but when Feaster 'guaranteed' a playoff spot, it was because James Duthie basically dared him to. And it wasn't a boastful thing, it was 'fine, you want me to play this game with you, I'll play it'.

You know what makes an idiot GM? Not trying to ice a competitive team for two years, and placing all the pressure on teenagers to lead you out of the wilderness.

HarrySPlinkett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:01 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
I disagree. Although I admittedly didnt look into the 2011 draft too much, but I know I heard so much about Armias size and skill, than when we picked Bartschi, me and my buddies were like "who?"
Actually, from what I can tell, they both were hyped equally. Armia had the size and skill but I know as a Wild fan, when we had to choose between Armia and Bartschi, many of us choose Bartschi (we ended up with Brodin whos' been a pleasant surprise).

Armia had size and hands, Bartschi had a dangerous shot and well-rounded game. TSN had them 14 and 16 respectively in their final rankings. ISS had them 13 and 11 respectively.

They were about equal.

But yes, hype does not equal good pick. You have to do your due diligence because its about selecting a prospect who can be a part of your organization for the next 10 years. Obviously you want more upside, so the challenge for GMs is to balance the upside and risk factor.

Thats why they prepare for the draft all year, not just the month before.

Old
06-23-2012, 05:08 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Actually, from what I can tell, they both were hyped equally. Armia had the size and skill but I know as a Wild fan, when we had to choose between Armia and Bartschi, many of us choose Bartschi (we ended up with Brodin whos' been a pleasant surprise).

Armia had size and hands, Bartschi had a dangerous shot and well-rounded game. TSN had them 14 and 16 respectively in their final rankings. ISS had them 13 and 11 respectively.

They were about equal.

But yes, hype does not equal good pick. You have to do your due diligence because its about selecting a prospect who can be a part of your organization for the next 10 years. Obviously you want more upside, so the challenge for GMs is to balance the upside and risk factor.

Thats why they prepare for the draft all year, not just the month before.
Its quite evident the flames have done their research with this pick, and its not as big a reach as some are acting. Like I said, we won't know for a few years at least. After all their scouting they felt Jankowski's upside was worth the risk, I guess we'll see if they are right or not..

Old
06-23-2012, 05:16 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Its quite evident the flames have done their research with this pick, and its not as big a reach as some are acting. Like I said, we won't know for a few years at least. After all their scouting they felt Jankowski's upside was worth the risk, I guess we'll see if they are right or not..
It's not even the fact that Jankowski was rated lower in rankings and you should faith in the Flames scouting team.

Jankowski WAS thought to be a 1st rounder, and whoever doesn't think that really hasn't done their research about the draft or understands how the draft works. He was rated alot around 40 because of his mix of rawness and high upside.

Because he was a raw talent, especially in this draft that lacks high offensive talent, that gives his ranking ability to either jump 20 spots up (depending if the team likes you) or drop 20 spots down (depending if no team likes you)

Its about being comfortable. Obviously, Flames were comfortable with Jankowski as a prospect so him being drafted at around 20 isn't something weird. You may not like it, but its not like it doesn't make sense.

Old
06-23-2012, 05:29 AM
Smokey McCanucks

LOL, what is Calgary thinking? Somebody offer Feaster a 4th for Baertschi cause that guy is DRUNK!

Edit, but seriously I heard this kid can kick a 65-yard field goal so it's all good!

Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:35 AM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise9Crosby87 View Post
it was a bad move i feel bad for the flames fans
You're a bad move. If you don't understand the rationale behind the pick, just say so. Don't act like they drafted a ghost.

Old
06-23-2012, 05:40 AM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey McCanucks View Post
LOL, what is Calgary thinking? Somebody offer Feaster a 4th for Baertschi cause that guy is DRUNK!

Edit, but seriously I heard this kid can kick a 65-yard field goal so it's all good!
I'll do this very slowly and do everything I can to make sure you can comprehend it.

They're thinking that they have a kid who started the year ranked 100th among skaters and ended the year ranked 42nd.

They also realized that since he was playing against lesser competition, he wasn't getting as much hype as CHL guys.

Additionally, because he was two days away from not being draft-eligible until next year, that pushed him farther down the pecking order for scouts, because he wasn't as far along.

They observed that he grew six inches in the past few years, and is still growing.

It was concluded that a number 1 center has been a need for this team for 20 years.

They feel his skillset is such that it will translate to success as he moves up to the USHL, then to the NCAA, and then to the NHL.

For all these reasons, they determined that he's a top 10 talent if he were to be drafted next year. They drafted him this year.

That's what they're thinking. We good?

Old
06-23-2012, 05:41 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
You guys are ignorant to say how bad a GM that has one more Stanley Cup ring than any of us will ever have is.

Mark Jankowski is going to be a great player. I'm not sure he'll be the best player in this draft when all is said and done, but he's going to be very good.

Reverend Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:56 AM
MISC*
Negged.

Intellectual honesty.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:56 AM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny be good.

This is amazing. I friggen love this thread.

Walkingthroughforest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:30 AM
madmike77

Dumb comment by Feaster, but I really like the pick.

The move kind of reminds me of what they did with Gaudreau last year, although that was in a lower round.

One thing people overlook with Jankowski is he's essentially 17 - 11 months younger than Yakupov - and has a lot of room to grow.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote