HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Suggestion For a New Point System

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2005, 01:39 PM
two out of three*

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Suggestion For a New Point System

I used to be for the 2 pts for a win, 0 for a loss, and 1 for a tie. But I just played in a tournament in Canada and they had a style that was kind of interesting. I probably wouldn't like it in the NHL, but it was pretty cool. Anyway here it was:

All in all there are 5 points total. But every period is like a new game. If you come out and you win the 1st period say 2-1, you get 1 point for that period.

2p for a win

1p for every period

.5p if you tie a period

When my team fell behind, it gave us something to keep playing for, and the other team didn't sit back. Eh, shot in the dark, but hey.

Old
01-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiesAreLikeWins 2 Us
I used to be for the 2 pts for a win, 0 for a loss, and 1 for a tie. But I just played in a tournament in Canada and they had a style that was kind of interesting. I probably wouldn't like it in the NHL, but it was pretty cool. Anyway here it was:

All in all there are 5 points total. But every period is like a new game. If you come out and you win the 1st period say 2-1, you get 1 point for that period.

2p for a win

1p for every period

.5p if you tie a period

When my team fell behind, it gave us something to keep playing for, and the other team didn't sit back. Eh, shot in the dark, but hey.

Is this suggestion for the NHL ???

Old
01-01-2005, 01:58 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky
Is this suggestion for the NHL ???

Yeah.

Old
01-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiesAreLikeWins 2 Us

2p for a win

1p for every period

.5p if you tie a period

to get points for every period won is pretty progressive...I like it

Old
01-01-2005, 02:27 PM
Crossbar

Interesting idea, would be entertaining from start to finish!

Old
01-01-2005, 04:03 PM
acr*

No...IMO, there are two options
A.2 for a win, 1 for a tie, 0 for a loss
B.3 for a win, 2 for a tie, 1 for an OTL, 0 for a Loss

Old
01-01-2005, 07:14 PM
sidelines

vCash:
I still think it should be 2 points for a win, 0 points for a lose, 0 points for a tie. Not very many teams will sit back if its like that.

Old
01-01-2005, 07:33 PM
two out of three*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Newsflash Man
I still think it should be 2 points for a win, 0 points for a lose, 0 points for a tie. Not very many teams will sit back if its like that.
Unless the team that is winning has a lead..

Old
01-01-2005, 08:18 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

I like it. That way, you still see teams going all out even when the game is out of hand. But then again, it can reward teams who play 1 or 2 great periods, but really suck in one.

Old
01-01-2005, 08:31 PM
two out of three*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
I like it. That way, you still see teams going all out even when the game is out of hand. But then again, it can reward teams who play 1 or 2 great periods, but really suck in one.
If you play great in 2 periods chances are you will come away with a victory. So you'll still end up with 4 points, and the other team will have 1 or half a point. I liked it when I played under it.

Old
01-01-2005, 09:16 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr
No...IMO, there are two options
B.3 for a win, 2 for a tie, 1 for an OTL, 0 for a Loss
You might want to think about that one again. You've *increased* the tie to win ratio from 1/2 to 2/3rds, which makes ties even more attractive for coaches. Two ties now are now worth more points than a win and a loss.

Coaches shouldn't even risk going forward with this. Better to just tie every single game than to risk losing any.

Old
01-02-2005, 12:30 AM
Bergeron47

Make it like soccer:

Win: 3 points
Tie: 1 point

This way, it gives an extra point for the win, which gives incentive for those defencive teams to go for it, making for more exciting hockey.

Old
01-02-2005, 02:24 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

If it doesn't include goalies facing off at center ice, forget it!

01-02-2005, 02:37 AM
PecaFan

That's my belief as well. Reward teams who win in regulation. Over the course of the year, teams who tie, or go into overtime will fall behind other teams.

It also eliminates the current problem of overtime games counting as much as regulation wins, when teams often aren't playing defense, not to mention the shootout (yuck).

Just looking at last year, here are the differences:

The same teams all make the playoffs.
There are some major seeding differences. Boston was a prime overtime benefactor, and would have been 3rd in their division, and 5th overall.
Matchups would have been Tam/NYI (same), Tor/Mtl, Phi/NJD (same), and Ott/Bos.

These matchups are much more in line with the way things should be, in my opinion. Ottawa ends up with home ice instead of Boston, as they should because they had more wins, etc.

In the West, matchups would be Det/Nsh (same), SJS/Stl (same), Van/Col (wow!), and Dal/Cgy. Again, I think these are more in line. Cgy finishes ahead of Colorado, because they had 7 more wins in regulation, and 2 more wins total. In fact, Calgary would have won the division, depending on how you did tie breakers, total wins, or regulation wins.

Closed Thread