HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did Katz overrule the Oil brass?

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2012, 11:34 PM
Agent Zero

vCash: 500
Did Katz overrule the Oil brass?

Just watched Stu and Tambo interviews... Judging by their answers, I think the Oilers scouting team and management were split on who to take. In the Stu interview, the 2nd question that was asked "did you ever think about going with someone else?" Stu struggled to answer the question and looked real uncomfortable when responding. He ended up saying "its hard to pass up on offensive talent." Not a convincing answer in the way he said it.

I may be reading too much into but it appears the room was split between organizational need versus best player available. Also with drafting you need to be able to project what a player will be in 5 years. I personally think Stu thought Murray or Reinhart would have bigger impact on the team in the long run.

Judging from the Oilers documentaries, Tambo likes to hear everyone's opinion.. So I think he pretty much took a back seat on this decision.

I wouldn't be surprised if Murray was the guy but then Katz overruled the Oilers brass.

All in all, I`m glad Yakupov is an Oiler. Horcs its time for you to change your number bud!

Old
06-22-2012, 11:35 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
Just watched Stu and Tambo interviews... Judging by their answers, I think the Oilers scouting team and management were split on who to take. In the Stu interview, the 2nd question that was asked "did you ever think about going with someone else?" Stu struggled to answer the question and looked real uncomfortable when responding. He ended up saying "its hard to pass up on offensive talent." Not a convincing answer in the way he said it.

I may be reading too much into but it appears the room was split between organizational need versus best player available. Also with drafting you need to be able to project what a player will be in 5 years. I personally think Stu thought Murray or Reinhart would have bigger impact on the team in the long run.

Judging from the Oilers documentaries, Tambo likes to hear everyone's opinion.. So I think he pretty much took a back seat on this decision.

I wouldn't be surprised if Murray was the guy but then Katz overruled the Oilers brass.

All in all, I`m glad Yakupov is an Oiler. Horcs its time for you to change your number bud!
I think you're making much ado about nothing, tbh.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:36 PM
Velocirapture
The Evil User

vCash: 50
Whoever it was that didn't completely **** the bed today deserves kudos. Everyone else can jump into a fire.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:37 PM
jebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
This.

Yakupov was always #1 on their rankings, but they had to do their homework.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:39 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Jumping to conclusions: the official past time of HF Oil.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:40 PM
xlnc66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocirapture View Post
Whoever it was that didn't completely **** the bed today deserves kudos. Everyone else can jump into a fire.
I agree. I had very little confidence they would make the right move today, and was pleasantly surprised. This team needs to improve now, not wait 5 years for a guy to develop. Heck, it's already been 6 straight years with no playoffs. The urgency should be to improve the team immediately, not wait another 5 years and have the team miss the playoffs for a complete decade while waiting for that d man to develop.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:40 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

I think a lot of what came out about Murray and the Oilers was fabricated by the eastern media, then just picked up by some of the local/western media. It wouldn't surprise me if some of our scouts felt Murray was the better pick... But c'mon, it's not like taking Yakupov is some sort of booby prize. He was likely #1 or #2 on everyone's list.

I wonder if Murray was on the top two for everyone though.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:45 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

They looked pretty relaxed at the table before they got called up.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:46 PM
BlowbyBlow

I said all along the #1 pick has way to much pressure for any kid to have so if you have that pick it has to correlate with that players personality and his ability to handle pressure, and be the go to guy.

No one ever says oh great such and such is a great 2nd - 3rd line center after being #1 or he's a great #3 or #4,5 d man.

You have to live up to that billing thats why Halls a better choice then Seguin, and RNH and Yakupov as well.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:47 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
this. if it was Katz that had to knock some sense into them, good on him. You don't take a 'reliable, steady, solid' defensemen at #1. I'm not taking any defensemen at #1 unless his performance screams out 'superstar, impact, franchise defensemen'. Murray may end up being a great defensemen, but from everything we've heard about him, that's a longshot. Like others have said, if your management team is so incompetent that they think they have to use a 1st pick to acquire a second pair D, then your problems are not your players.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:49 PM
CupofOil

I don't think the OP is reading too much into it at all.
There appeared to be a lot of uncomfortable feelings at the Oilers table before they went up to the stage and Tambo seemed very uneasy the whole time, it was pretty unsettling to watch actually.
Ultimately, it doesn't matter because they made the right pick but i bet that there was some dissention in the room leading up to the minutes immediately before the draft.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:52 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowbyBlow View Post
I said all along the #1 pick has way to much pressure for any kid to have so if you have that pick it has to correlate with that players personality and his ability to handle pressure, and be the go to guy.

No one ever says oh great such and such is a great 2nd - 3rd line center after being #1 or he's a great #3 or #4,5 d man.

You have to live up to that billing thats why Halls a better choice then Seguin, and RNH and Yakupov as well.
very good points. might explain why so many hi picked Dmen get traded. expectations are too high, and patience is thin. a 1st overall is supposed to be a franchise player, that takes swagger as well as talent and tools.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Silver

I love the fact that I'm cheering for an organization where we feel the need to give someone a pat on the head for making the most simple, and easiest, call in the world. Not f-ing up on a monumental basis? Gold stars for everyone!!!!

We all have Stockholm Syndrome...

Old
06-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I love the fact that I'm cheering for an organization where we feel the need to give someone a pat on the head for making the most simple, and easiest, call in the world. Not f-ing up on a monumental basis? Gold stars for everyone!!!!

We all have Stockholm Syndrome...
I think you have seriously misunderstood the purpose of this thread. No surprise though, given your posting history.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
I got a little pizzy but I kept using the word "if" before I mentioned anything. Lol I chose my words carefully. So far, this organization under Tambo has chose the right person at the draft minus Plante.. and maybe one other.

And for the OP.. I think you're reading too much into it. It may not have been decisive until the end but they did pick the BPA and for that, I'm extremely proud and happy.

This is gonna be a very exciting and entertaining team to watch for years top come. Now Tambi needs to pull the trigger on some decent UFA d'men. I have a good feeling about this summer.

Get 'er done Tambi!

Double thumbs up to the Oil Brass thus far.

PS:

I'm happy they didn't move Gagner. We need to move a right winger not a center.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:03 AM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
I think you have seriously misunderstood the purpose of this thread. No surprise though, given your posting history.
Oh, I can pull baseless speculation out of my ass too.

It was actually Katz's kid who made the pick. Loves the first name Nail. Way cooler than Ryan.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:08 AM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
Go re watch the hall and rnh draft and compare it to this one and you can clearly see tambo is not excited with his choice. Especially the way those guys are patting him on the back before the pic. It was also suggested in the Armageddon thread that he might of nicksed a trade that he was struggling with. What Ever it was he looked really uncomfortable.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I don't think the OP is reading too much into it at all.
There appeared to be a lot of uncomfortable feelings at the Oilers table before they went up to the stage and Tambo seemed very uneasy the whole time, it was pretty unsettling to watch actually.
Ultimately, it doesn't matter because they made the right pick but i bet that there was some dissention in the room leading up to the minutes immediately before the draft.
Those uncomfortable feelings were from all of the cameras on them while the stage and podium were re-arranged to suit the proceedings.

I doubt there was any dissention.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Agent Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Go re watch the hall and rnh draft and compare it to this one and you can clearly see tambo is not excited with his choice. Especially the way those guys are patting him on the back before the pic. It was also suggested in the Armageddon thread that he might of nicksed a trade that he was struggling with. What Ever it was he looked really uncomfortable.
Yeah there was much more enthusiasm in the prior two drafts from the Stu and Tambo. Glad we took the BPA.

I think Toronto ended up with the best d-man in the draft. Time will tell.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Tambo struggling, but ultimately nixing a trade?? i find this to be the more likely stress-causing event. just going with the odds.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:20 AM
oilwings

If it was true then Katz did the right thing. Smack some sense into his management team. Don't forget Katz grew up a die hard Oilers fan of the 80's. He watched Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Anderson in their prime.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:24 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Given the strong Murray bias put out by local media and the uncomfortable body language displayed by Tambo and Stu, I wouldn't be shocked if Katz/MacT/Lowe overruled the scouts pick.

If so, more power to them. Last time I checked the scouts don't own/run this team. It would be one thing if Katz and his advisors overruled them to go off the board but it is sound management to question a significant deviation from the consensus.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:27 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowbyBlow View Post

Hall is not necessarily a better choice than Seguin...it was debatable then and its even more debatable now.
Ultimately your argument makes little sense because the alternative is revisionist history and its impossible to suggest how it 'would have' played out in terms of the player 'handling' the billing.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:29 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Given the strong Murray bias put out by local media and the uncomfortable body language displayed by Tambo and Stu, I wouldn't be shocked if Katz/MacT/Lowe overruled the scouts pick.

If so, more power to them. Last time I checked the scouts don't own/run this team. It would be one thing if Katz and his advisors overruled them to go off the board but it is sound management to question a significant deviation from the consensus.
If true then Katz being involved in a hockey decision that didn't have anything to do with finances is very disturbing.

You would think that Katz would have the sense to let the hockey people make the hockey decisions.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:34 AM
Pucklington

I got the feeling that they had an offer almost tempting enough to move the pick, and Tambo was thinking about the offer. I wouldn't be suprised to find out a huge offer was made by say.... Montreal at the last minute for Yakupov.
They wanted Yak and Galy, and were one of the few teams that could have got it done without their own pick included.

Closed Thread