HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did Katz overrule the Oil brass?

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 04:23 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Bieber View Post
who cares if stu is uncomfortable. yakupov is an oiler now *****essss
Stu didn't seem uncomfortable in his post draft interview. He seemed really pleased to have Yakupov in the fold.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypuck View Post
The selection of Yakupov does go against the grain. Tambellini is the first guy to pull out those cliche's he prides himself in.

Seeking kids with admirable character traits.
Beleives in what the Oilers are doing.
Wants to be apart of the Edmonton Oilers hockey club.

All indicators point towards Ryan Murray being the Oilers unanimous choice yesterday, not Nail Yakupov. Everytime Yakupov's up for renewal now he'll probably wield that KHL hammer.
I don't see it as this way at all.

Yakupov was the only prospect to have dinner at Katz' home, just like RNH the year before and Hall/Seguin two years ago.

Yakupov was the pick all along.

Oilers just milked this a bit because it's a good way to keep interest up and works well for the Oil Change doc.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
I'm sure at least one rational person has said it.... But this is all f n priceless.

For weeks we've been hearing how incompetent our mgmt team is "because I read from so and so that they might take x"

Now, for the third year in a row they took the guy we wanted, and moreover MANAGED a very tight ship, not leaking it to anyone.

Now the implication is that they didn't even make the decision, it was their boss!?

Unbelievable.

Just admit it.... Many of you were wrong about mgmt on this issue
I knew this would happen.

06-23-2012, 07:38 PM
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Stu didn't seem uncomfortable in his post draft interview. He seemed really pleased to have Yakupov in the fold.
well i think he appeared uncomfortable at times, but I think it was more to do with discussing the process overall, he didn't seem to want to talk about what the scouts and management did. I don't think it was because of dissension, but rather he just didn't want to talk about the closed door stuff at all.

When he was talking about Nail, he seemed to be trying to reign in his enthusiasm.

Stu just seems to not like being the focus of attention, he seemed quite happy when talking about the kid, but he never seems to like talking about his own contributions. he did look very tired though, which maybe people are misinterpreting. I bet he went days without real sleep.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Everyone is overreacting. I blame Stauffer and Tencer. They hyped it up to much, to the point that everyone thought Murray was the BPA. So of course the natural thing to do is assume, but....... I believe Yak has been Stu's guy since the start of the year, and it never changed.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom4 View Post
Base on the videos that i saw, i thought Stu Macgregor was kinda uncomfortable and did not answer the questions with confidence. He answered some of the questions with a dull face, looking up,a sigh of air while answering. Anyways to the question, Do i think Katz forced them to draft Yak? No

I do agree with OP that Stu was in the minority of drafting Murray or Reinhart.
He is a scout that rarely courts the media. He was likely just uncomfortable because he is not used to it, and it does seem obvious that the decision on who to take was not unanimous but he has to make it look that way. He was just in an awkward situation and not a media guy.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
well i think he appeared uncomfortable at times, but I think it was more to do with discussing the process overall, he didn't seem to want to talk about what the scouts and management did. I don't think it was because of dissension, but rather he just didn't want to talk about the closed door stuff at all.

When he was talking about Nail, he seemed to be trying to reign in his enthusiasm.

Stu just seems to not like being the focus of attention, he seemed quite happy when talking about the kid, but he never seems to like talking about his own contributions. he did look very tired though, which maybe people are misinterpreting. I bet he went days without real sleep.
Agreed.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I don't think the OP is reading too much into it at all.
There appeared to be a lot of uncomfortable feelings at the Oilers table before they went up to the stage and Tambo seemed very uneasy the whole time, it was pretty unsettling to watch actually.
Ultimately, it doesn't matter because they made the right pick but i bet that there was some dissention in the room leading up to the minutes immediately before the draft.
Any more detail on this cancelled trade? Even basis speculation, I had not heard this

Old
06-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Go re watch the hall and rnh draft and compare it to this one and you can clearly see tambo is not excited with his choice. Especially the way those guys are patting him on the back before the pic. It was also suggested in the Armageddon thread that he might of nicksed a trade that he was struggling with. What Ever it was he looked really uncomfortable.
This x 10000

and then when he went to the podium just immediately drafts the players. Doesnt thank the hosting city or congradulate the cup winner like he has in years past. Heck it seemed like it took him 2 minutes to call RNH's name compared to 10 seconds for yak.

Its just hard to describe. I wish I didnt delete off my pvr and could watch again.

Bettman calls out the Oilers and it was like 5-10 minutes of them (managment) all just sitting there looking like they all needed to drop a deuce at the same time. At one point it looked like an usher or something came and talked to Lowe and he looked a bit fiesty imo

Last edited by Jamin: 06-23-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old
06-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Any more detail on this cancelled trade? Even basis speculation, I had not heard this
Wasn't there a delay because there was a problem with the stage or something like that.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

This whole thread reminds me of this Daily Show segment.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we.../the-bod-squad

Old
06-23-2012, 08:39 PM
wuzupdawk

Have any of you been at a draft? Picking no.1 overall?

Are any of you in the upper management of an NHL team?

Did any of you see what else was going around them at the moment they were getting ready to go up to the podium?

If the answer is no, you are all reading way too much into things. Tambellini 'normally' looks uncomfortable and is always difficult to read.

They picked Nail. It was, by consensus, the right move. Let's move on.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Kevotron

lol @ the extent some posters will go to inject some controversies into our 1st overall pick...
the amount of detail ppl look at to convey the GM/head scout was upset is amazing... those ppl should get into the forensics career, the attention to detail will sure reduce the amount of unsolved crimes

Old
06-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Joe Hallenback

Does it really matter what or how it happened now? Yak is ours

Old
06-23-2012, 08:47 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
And by the way, this is called "errors of attribution" and it is often referred to by psychologists to describe the way conspiracy theorists and other wackos twist facts that are inconguent with their theories.

Just sayin'
Is that what it is?

I once had a girlfriend who constantly "read" my bodylanguage, and assumed I was angry or annoyed or grumpy.

Often I'd just be lost in thought, often thinking about heavy duty stuff like my fantasy hockey team, whether I remembered to pay my electric bill, how angry the Hulk would have to get before he could beat Superman in an arm wrestle, or boobs. Benign or happy thoughts, but she'd come into my sphere and start treating me like I was upset.

She just made a snap-judgment based on her limited perception, and usually she was incredibly wrong.

In this 24 hour news cycle, with cameras on every corner and complex thoughts reduced to 140 character tweets, people need to get smarter and more media savvy. They need to understand that they don't know s**t about a person or a situation just because they follow them on Facebook or heard a snippet of an interview and tried to draw conclusions based on that.

Threads like this are the surface iceberg on a secret society of imbeciles that feels like it's growing exponentially.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:49 PM
WaitingForUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
This x 10000

and then when he went to the podium just immediately drafts the players. Doesnt thank the hosting city or congradulate the cup winner like he has in years past. Heck it seemed like it took him 2 minutes to call RNH's name compared to 10 seconds for yak.

Its just hard to describe. I wish I didnt delete off my pvr and could watch again.

Bettman calls out the Oilers and it was like 5-10 minutes of them (managment) all just sitting there looking like they all needed to drop a deuce at the same time. At one point it looked like an usher or something came and talked to Lowe and he looked a bit fiesty imo
The delay was due to problems with the podium.
As to the OP, is it possible Katz overruled them? Yes! Do I agree with the decision if he did? Absolutely! If Katz was the one with half a brain to realize that picking Murray over Yakupov would be the franchises biggest blunder ever, good on him. Sometimes you have to listen to what your market wants. Over 90 % of the fans wanted Yakupov case closed.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Vagabond

vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
The Oil crew took a while to get to the podium because there was an issue with the podium. I thought at first due to the delay that they could be debating a trade or something but there wasn't. It was a technical error as TSN crew mentioned. I was about to toss the remote until the TSN crew mentioned they were having podium tech issues and the Oilers org had to wait to make their selection.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Kevotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
Is that what it is?

I once had a girlfriend who constantly "read" my bodylanguage, and assumed I was angry or annoyed or grumpy.

Often I'd just be lost in thought, often thinking about heavy duty stuff like my fantasy hockey team, whether I remembered to pay my electric bill, how angry the Hulk would have to get before he could beat Superman in an arm wrestle, or boobs. Benign or happy thoughts, but she'd come into my sphere and start treating me like I was upset.

She just made a snap-judgment based on her limited perception, and usually she was incredibly wrong.

In this 24 hour news cycle, with cameras on every corner and complex thoughts reduced to 140 character tweets, people need to get smarter and more media savvy. They need to understand that they don't know s**t about a person or a situation just because they follow them on Facebook or heard a snippet of an interview and tried to draw conclusions based on that.

Threads like this are the surface iceberg on a secret society of imbeciles that feels like it's growing exponentially.
well said.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Vagabond

vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevotron View Post
well said.
I'll 2nd that notion!

Old
06-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I will borrow a line from a previous post....right decision or not it lends itself more to failure than success when a non hockey person starts making player acquisition decisions. This should never happen if the people running the show are competent hockey people.
you speak as if it is a fact that Katz intervened. Were you in the room and heard Katz say 'we are taking Yak and that's final!!' you have no basis for assuming this occured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypuck View Post
The selection of Yakupov does go against the grain. Tambellini is the first guy to pull out those cliche's he prides himself in.

Seeking kids with admirable character traits.
Beleives in what the Oilers are doing.
Wants to be apart of the Edmonton Oilers hockey club.

All indicators point towards Ryan Murray being the Oilers unanimous choice yesterday, not Nail Yakupov. Everytime Yakupov's up for renewal now he'll probably wield that KHL hammer.
what are you talking about? they chose the BPA available. Precisely the same thing they've done the last 2 years. they choose the player that fits into the 'Oiler hockey' mold, the same thing they've done for the last 30 years. there is not a single indicator that Murray was ever anyone's first choose, just alot of talk from Stauffer/Tencer/Dreger.

you guys are finding something you want to find. Just because Stu didn't do cartwheels and Tambo didn't kiss the kid you assume they didn't want him.

Stu is the head scout and Tambo is the manager and THEY PICKED YAKUPOV!!!! Yet somehow that fact (actual fact, because it actually occured) doesn't register with you guys. its: 'oh, he didn't look happy enough to satify me' or 'i don't buy it, Katz must have intervened'. classic doomsday prediction. when the doomsday passes, rather than accept that you were wrong, you come up with some excuse and pick a new date.

Last edited by Up the Irons: 06-23-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old
06-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Section337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevotron View Post
well said.
What did he say, I started reading but couldn't finish because I started thinking about boobs.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:33 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015

Maybe Tambo was just tired and sick of answering questions all day about trading the pick or why they picked Yak and stuff like that.

Or maybe the excitement of picking 1st overall is gone and they want to start picking later on in the draft, say around 15? (I would very much like this)

Old
06-23-2012, 09:38 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
The Oil crew took a while to get to the podium because there was an issue with the podium. I thought at first due to the delay that they could be debating a trade or something but there wasn't. It was a technical error as TSN crew mentioned. I was about to toss the remote until the TSN crew mentioned they were having podium tech issues and the Oilers org had to wait to make their selection.
If there was a delay with the podium, it could just as well be "Go up and and state your draft pick we're running behind schedule"

Old
06-23-2012, 09:41 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaray_656 View Post

Or maybe the excitement of picking 1st overall is gone
Or embarrassing.

I mean, that was my thought.

But the point is: who knows? There's conjecture that allows one to come at it from every angle.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:44 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
Or embarrassing.

I mean, that was my thought.

But the point is: who knows? There's conjecture that allows one to come at it from every angle.
Yeah that was what I was trying to say but couldn't find the words.

Closed Thread