HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Pierre and the draft

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-23-2012, 01:45 AM
  #1
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,201
vCash: 50
Pierre and the draft

Say what you want about the guy, from the creepiness to the. . . . . . creepierness. . . . . . but the guy was pretty spot on with a lot of his projections tonight and provided a lot of good insight on each player. I'll go as far as to say that he was better and more insightful tonight than any of the other insiders there. What say you?

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:46 AM
  #2
Frank Drebin
Registered User
 
Frank Drebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,778
vCash: 735
Definitely, although he didn't really call anybody out for making a bad choice this year. He basically said everyone made a good pick and the right decision.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:47 AM
  #3
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Say what you want about the guy, from the creepiness to the. . . . . . creepierness. . . . . . but the guy was pretty spot on with a lot of his projections tonight and provided a lot of good insight on each player. I'll go as far as to say that he was better and more insightful tonight than any of the other insiders there. What say you?
Hes a good amateur scout... But that's it... When it comes to actual hockey talk, he's fallen out of his tree too many times...

He's only gotten GM interviews because he's on TV...

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:49 AM
  #4
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 53,272
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Hes a good amateur scout... But that's it... When it comes to actual hockey talk, he's fallen out of his tree too many times...

He's only gotten GM interviews because he's on TV...
To be fair he was 2/2 in predicting the team's picks who's ring he was wearing tonight.

Pierre is easy to hate, but he knows what he's talking about.

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:50 AM
  #5
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick
 
KEEROLE Vatanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 16,258
vCash: 500
the draft wouldn't be the same without Pierre! it would be really boring!

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:53 AM
  #6
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
To be fair he was 2/2 in predicting the team's picks who's ring he was wearing tonight.

Pierre is easy to hate, but he knows what he's talking about.
Who's ring was he wearing ?

Don't get me wrong, he knows his draft, but again some of the stuff he said is just stupid...

And anybody can make predictions based on what you see...

I love him as a commentator though.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:58 AM
  #7
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 53,272
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Who's ring was he wearing ?

Don't get me wrong, he knows his draft, but again some of the stuff he said is just stupid...

And anybody can make predictions based on what you see...

I love him as a commentator though.
He won two rings with the Penguins in 1991 (as a scout) and 1992 (as an assistant coach)...and he tends not to be shy about wearing those rings. He emphatically predicted Pouliot and Määttä.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:01 AM
  #8
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
He won two rings with the Penguins in 1991 (as a scout) and 1992 (as an assistant coach)...and he tends not to be shy about wearing those rings. He emphatically predicted Pouliot and Määttä.
Didn't know he was a pens scout, I'll give him that...

However, As he said, Joe Morrow is a WinterHawk, they've seen alot of Pouliot. They wanted D, you could predict that easily...

Maataa was BPA who had slipped pretty far.. And he brought up Harrington... And the London connection.. I consider it networking... But still, he did call it, kudos to him.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:01 AM
  #9
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK
 
legendinblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,093
vCash: 50
Guy knows his stuff. Too bad he doesn't do the WJC anymore.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:02 AM
  #10
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0Leaf fan0o View Post
Guy knows his stuff. Too bad he doesn't do the WJC anymore.
He was a blast there ! Loved listening to him, Tokarski !!! Nuff said !

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:04 AM
  #11
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 53,272
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Didn't know he was a pens scout, I'll give him that...

However, As he said, Joe Morrow is a WinterHawk, they've seen alot of Pouliot. They wanted D, you could predict that easily...

Maataa was BPA who had slipped pretty far.. And he brought up Harrington... And the London connection.. I consider it networking... But still, he did call it, kudos to him.
Määttä was definitely the BPA...and the fact he was a teammate of Penguins prospect Scott Harrington made that a slam-dunk pick...but even given the Portland connection I doubt there was anyone out there willing to make the jump that the Penguins would take Pouliot #8...nevermind with the emphatic display that McGuire had.

I trust McGuire more than anyone outside of McKenzie when it comes to breaking news. Like him or hate him, the major issues with him tend to be with how much he loves the game...not with what he knows.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:04 AM
  #12
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward
 
Do Make Say Think's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,170
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Definitely, although he didn't really call anybody out for making a bad choice this year. He basically said everyone made a good pick and the right decision.
From what I gather the draft went mostly as he he thought it would: of course he thinks teams that picked the players he thought they would/should made the right call!

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:05 AM
  #13
frankthetank91
Registered User
 
frankthetank91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,711
vCash: 500
I want him back permanently on TSN, more people watch it here anyways so give us him back

frankthetank91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:10 AM
  #14
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Määttä was definitely the BPA...and the fact he was a teammate of Penguins prospect Scott Harrington made that a slam-dunk pick...but even given the Portland connection I doubt there was anyone out there willing to make the jump that the Penguins would take Pouliot #8...nevermind with the emphatic display that McGuire had.

I trust McGuire more than anyone outside of McKenzie when it comes to breaking news.
Your probably right about Pouliot. However consider that they've seen him over the past 3 years.. (late 93 IIRC)

Most of TSN is full of ****... Mckenzie the only one I bother with..

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:16 AM
  #15
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
syz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,545
vCash: 500
Calgary's so stupid for trading down, what are they doing? BPA, BPA.

to

Good on Calgary for going off the board and picking what's-his-name, whose family I happen to know, or something. Legendary pick.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:21 AM
  #16
Gil Gunderson
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,830
vCash: 500
We need him back, especially for the WJC.

Gil Gunderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:34 AM
  #17
Qrispy
Registered User
 
Qrispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,227
vCash: 500
He said he'd be shocked if the Oilers didn't trade down or didn't pick a dman. Idiot..

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:40 AM
  #18
Vikingstad
**** the King
 
Vikingstad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
When Caps took Tom Wilson, and he was describing him, he said "he can break your face with his fists, and break the net with goals"

I totally thought he said ****...was shocked at first, then laughed my ass off.

Edit: starts with an R and ends with ape.

Vikingstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:42 AM
  #19
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,823
vCash: 50
He was on fire tonight.

Nailed 90% of his predictions, including the out of nowhere pens pick and boston goalie pick.

the guy is the best

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:50 AM
  #20
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,450
vCash: 500
For a guy that's been nothing but all about Jordan Staal being the most amazing spectacular player ever he sure was all about how amazing Pittsburgh made their team by trading Jordan Staal away. Ah well. I guess it fits into the whole Pittsburgh being an honorary Canadian team narrative well.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:01 AM
  #21
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
He was on fire tonight.

Nailed 90% of his predictions, including the out of nowhere pens pick and boston goalie pick.

the guy is the best
Are you serious?????

He has inside information that he is only allowed to divulge when the team is about to make their pick. The guy is a bonified idiot who relies mostly on stats than actually watching these prospects. He has connections but don't confuse this with an ability to predict squat.

Forsberg is a center????????

Brady Skjei needs to get bigger but Galchenyuk is big?????????

Jankowski's electric release lol.....

Like I said in the past, considering this twit to be a G.M. would be akin to N.A.S.A. scouting a Star Trek convention for people to head up their aerospace program........

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:06 AM
  #22
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
For a guy that's been nothing but all about Jordan Staal being the most amazing spectacular player ever he sure was all about how amazing Pittsburgh made their team by trading Jordan Staal away. Ah well. I guess it fits into the whole Pittsburgh being an honorary Canadian team narrative well.
The moron stated that Pittsburgh has completely restructured their team in one fell swoop???????????????????????????

Changing 3rd line centers hardly constitutes a restructured team....

This weeny gets all worked up and spews hyperbole every time there is a noteworthy transaction.

I don't know how anyone can stand his pretentious babble as it is both pathetic and borderline sad to listen to.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:13 AM
  #23
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 11,853
vCash: 500
The fact that he was able to call several picks 5 seconds before they were made doesn't negate the fact that he's an utter tool who made the broadcast almost unwatchable.

Every single pick was an AMAZING PICK, AND WON'T PLAYER X (who'll be retired or somewhere else by the time the prospect is in the NHL) BE EXCITED ABOUT PLAYING WITH THIS GUY!

Worst was how he claimed the Eastern Conference would be terrified of Pittsburgh because of the Staal trade ... a deal where Pittsburgh picked up two guys who won't be playing for them for 2-3 years and downgraded their current roster substantially.

Just ridiculous over-enthusiasm schtick for absolutely everything.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:19 AM
  #24
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,201
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
The fact that he was able to call several picks 5 seconds before they were made doesn't negate the fact that he's an utter tool who made the broadcast almost unwatchable.

Every single pick was an AMAZING PICK, AND WON'T PLAYER X (who'll be retired or somewhere else by the time the prospect is in the NHL) BE EXCITED ABOUT PLAYING WITH THIS GUY!

Worst was how he claimed the Eastern Conference would be terrified of Pittsburgh because of the Staal trade ... a deal where Pittsburgh picked up two guys who won't be playing for them for 2-3 years and downgraded their current roster substantially.

Just ridiculous over-enthusiasm schtick for absolutely everything.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:21 AM
  #25
MadDevil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bismarck, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 6,515
vCash: 500
He might have gotten some picks right, but the guy is still annoying as hell.

MadDevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.