HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Pierre and the draft

Old
06-23-2012, 03:22 AM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

vCash: 500
Nobody seems to be mentioning Pierre landing the best r @ pe joke of the night; when Malcolm Subban was picked, Pierre commented on his "NBA-quality vertical leap" which seemed delightfully racial, and then Gord Miller brings up his weakness on the bench press. Pierre then says 'When you're on your back trying to push somebody off, your defense didn't work'.

Get this man back in Canada NOW.

HarrySPlinkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:22 AM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Calgary's so stupid for trading down, what are they doing? BPA, BPA.

to

Good on Calgary for going off the board and picking what's-his-name, whose family I happen to know, or something. Legendary pick.
Embarrassing sequence, he lost his mind on them for not taking Maatta at 14 then he was still available at 21 and they didnt take him. Then he said his favorite pick of the first round was Jankowski at the end of the night.... Double standard much, I cant stand him and neither can the players.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:27 AM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Embarrassing sequence, he lost his mind on them for not taking Maatta at 14 then he was still available at 21 and they didnt take him. Then he said his favorite pick of the first round was Jankowski at the end of the night.... Double standard much, I cant stand him and neither can the players.
It should have been his favorite pick; Calgary re-gains a 2nd rounder, higher than the one they would have had anyway had they not included theirs in the Kotalik deal, and get a player who probably would have been a top 10 selection next year had he been born three days later.

It was a genius pick, and one that should FINALLY see the Flames get themselves a premiere center.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:33 AM
WarriorofTime
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
The moron stated that Pittsburgh has completely restructured their team in one fell swoop???????????????????????????

Changing 3rd line centers hardly constitutes a restructured team....

This weeny gets all worked up and spews hyperbole every time there is a noteworthy transaction.

I don't know how anyone can stand his pretentious babble as it is both pathetic and borderline sad to listen to.
Yeah I thought it was pretty ridiculous how he was acting like Pittsburgh already had Parise lined up. He seemed to give zero mention of Carolina actually acquiring Staal in the deal.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:37 AM
Hawks82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Every single pick was an AMAZING PICK, AND WON'T PLAYER X (who'll be retired or somewhere else by the time the prospect is in the NHL) BE EXCITED ABOUT PLAYING WITH THIS GUY!
Yea, your right about that. He said that about Jonathan Toews when the Hawks picked Teuvo Teravainen. Toews already is on a line with Kane (last season notwithstanding) and if Teravainen pans out he'll most likely be centering his own line. Didn't make much sense to me.

Hawks82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:38 AM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor10 View Post
It should have been his favorite pick; Calgary re-gains a 2nd rounder, higher than the one they would have had anyway had they not included theirs in the Kotalik deal, and get a player who probably would have been a top 10 selection next year had he been born three days later.

It was a genius pick, and one that should FINALLY see the Flames get themselves a premiere center.
Well time will tell about whether or not it was a genius pick, predicting Maatta would fall to 21 and picking him then would have been more genius in my opinion but we'll see. The league Jankowski is playing in is about the same level as Jr. C hockey in terms of skill. Not to say he wont improve and be a player but its incredibly high risk when a player as good as Maatta is still around.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:41 AM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
Well time will tell about whether or not it was a genius pick, predicting Maatta would fall to 21 and picking him then would have been more genius in my opinion but we'll see. The league Jankowski is playing in is about the same level as Jr. C hockey in terms of skill. Not to say he wont improve and be a player but its incredibly high risk when a player as good as Maatta is still around.
I agree, the quality of competition is something to be concerned about. But the skills they love about him, his hockey sense, shot, speed, hands etc, coupled with his size and continuing growth, seem like they would be pretty evident no matter what level he was playing against.

Since it doesn't seem like he was dominating exclusively based on superior physical skills, I feel like he'll be a guy who has success transitioning to higher levels.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:46 AM
bert

Quote:
I agree, the quality of competition is something to be concerned about. But the skills they love about him, his hockey sense, shot, speed, hands etc, coupled with his size and continuing growth, seem like they would be pretty evident no matter what level he was playing against.

Since it doesn't seem like he was dominating exclusively based on superior physical skills, I feel like he'll be a guy who has success transitioning to higher levels.
Hope so for flames fans sake but when you have that kind of time and space its alot easier to pick corners and find players. So who knows, I personally wanted the sens to take Maatta at 15 I couldnt believe he was there in the first place then how he kept falling... After watching him in the playoffs and mem cup he reminded me so much of Niedermayer. The way he skates, transitions and turns the puck up the ice while breaking up plays defensively. But hey im just a fan the scouts know alot better then I do.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:47 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
I love pierre. I feel like Canadiens take him for granted.. He is really smart when it comes to the game and is energetic about teaching people about it.

Can't win with the NHL fans..

Too much of a cookie cutout : 'We need more personality'
Person has a good personality : 'I hate this guy'

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:52 AM
Paralyzer008

Pierre on Yakupov.

"He had 0 goals and 9 assists at the World Juniors, so there might be a problem there."

What? Seriously a problem? Scored plenty of goals, I am pretty sure.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:54 AM
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi

I actually enjoyed the commentary on the draft tonight, when they weren't talking about how many D-men were left on the board.

Hans Moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:00 AM
JSBach

It just wouldn't be the draft without Pierre.

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:01 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I love pierre. I feel like Canadiens take him for granted.. He is really smart when it comes to the game and is energetic about teaching people about it.

Can't win with the NHL fans..

Too much of a cookie cutout : 'We need more personality'
Person has a good personality : 'I hate this guy'
???????

The problem is he doesn't know what he is talking about and is on a constant hyperbole binge.

I know for a fact that players and coaches can't stand him and he is a running joke in the lockerroom.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:05 AM
Pietraneglo222

Quote:
Nobody seems to be mentioning Pierre landing the best r @ pe joke of the night; when Malcolm Subban was picked, Pierre commented on his "NBA-quality vertical leap" which seemed delightfully racial, and then Gord Miller brings up his weakness on the bench press. Pierre then says 'When you're on your back trying to push somebody off, your defense didn't work'.

Get this man back in Canada NOW.
OMG LOL, can't believe I missed that. So epic... need a youtube.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:07 AM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
Hope so for flames fans sake but when you have that kind of time and space its alot easier to pick corners and find players. So who knows, I personally wanted the sens to take Maatta at 15 I couldnt believe he was there in the first place then how he kept falling... After watching him in the playoffs and mem cup he reminded me so much of Niedermayer. The way he skates, transitions and turns the puck up the ice while breaking up plays defensively. But hey im just a fan the scouts know alot better then I do.
I thought they were gonna take Maatta as well, and that would've been lauded; get the 10th ranked player at 21, while picking up a 2nd rounder. But of any off the board pick the Flames have made in the last 9 years, this one feels so different. When they drafted Pelech, Chucko, and Nemisz there was always this sense of 'Who? Why? Where's the upside with this?'

The potential with this pick is obvious. This is a player who can possibly be an elite #1 center in this league. I expect him to be on this team in 3 years, and in five, there'll be a crapton of Jankowski threads bumped where people go 'wow we were idiots lmao'.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:08 AM
GrafSk8r12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDevil View Post
He might have gotten some picks right, but the guy is still annoying as hell.

GrafSk8r12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:15 AM
WarriorofTime
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I thought they were gonna take Maatta as well, and that would've been lauded; get the 10th ranked player at 21, while picking up a 2nd rounder. But of any off the board pick the Flames have made in the last 9 years, this one feels so different. When they drafted Pelech, Chucko, and Nemisz there was always this sense of 'Who? Why? Where's the upside with this?'

The potential with this pick is obvious. This is a player who can possibly be an elite #1 center in this league. I expect him to be on this team in 3 years, and in five, there'll be a crapton of Jankowski threads bumped where people go 'wow we were idiots lmao'.
Of course it does. Probably because your team just took him. if it was it was Vancouver that took him you'd probably be like "LOL WHO IS JANKOWSKI? NICE PICK IDIOTS". People are always going to act like their pick is the best. Feaster's whole 10 year comment was designed for people like you considering how poor a job he's done since becoming Calgary's GM to extend his job a little longer given the last sentence of your post. When the Flames are in last place and some are like "hey whatever happened to our 2012 first rounder given we didn't make the playoffs that year?" people like you like will be pointing to some delusionary best-case upside that Feaster referenced.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:19 AM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
OMG LOL, can't believe I missed that. So epic... need a youtube.

3:17 we get the creepy racial comment. 3:40 comes things get r @ pey

Old
06-23-2012, 04:22 AM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Of course it does. Probably because your team just took him. if it was it was Vancouver that took him you'd probably be like "LOL WHO IS JANKOWSKI? NICE PICK IDIOTS". People are always going to act like their pick is the best. Feaster's whole 10 year comment was designed for people like you considering how poor a job he's done since becoming Calgary's GM to extend his job a little longer given the last sentence of your post. When the Flames are in last place and some are like "hey whatever happened to our 2012 first rounder given we didn't make the playoffs that year?" people like you like will be pointing to some delusionary best-case upside that Feaster referenced.
No. When Kris Chucko was picked, I went 'Whaaaaaa?' When Matt Pelech was picked, 'This is horrible'. Greg Nemisz 'We picked him because his teammate died?'

I see the angle the Flames are going for. I hope it works. The three players above had no real chance of becoming impact NHL players. This kid could be a franchise center. There's a legitimate reason to get excited about it.

And yep, he's done an awful job in Calgary... Baertschi is a bust, Gaudreau has no upside, Wotherspoon and Granlund will be lucky to play in the AHL, and Brossoit looks like Cloutier Jr. Bourque for Cammalleri was a steal for the Habs, and both Tanguay and Glencross' contracts will clearly handcuff this team for years to come.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:28 AM
MVP of West Hollywd

Bring Pierre back to TSN!

MVP of West Hollywd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:30 AM
Galchenyuk94

Nothing creepy about that, come on.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:33 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDevil View Post
He might have gotten some picks right, but the guy is still annoying as hell.
This.

And every pick is a fantastic pick.

Except the Carey Price when he has pissed off like a little squirrell

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:09 AM
FacepalmBenning

vCash: 558
Pierre McGuire is the worst. I'm amazed people are actually praising that creepy little man.

FacepalmBenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:17 AM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

vCash: 50
Pierre is a guy who you hate to love.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:38 AM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
He won two rings with the Penguins in 1991 (as a scout) and 1992 (as an assistant coach)...and he tends not to be shy about wearing those rings. He emphatically predicted Pouliot and Määttä.
I didn't hear anything he said about Pouliot but he mentioned Maatta at least another time. So he was finally right with him.

Some of the stuff last night was just children. You had Button almost in tears defending his brother's pick. I felt there was some real embarassing moments for the guys.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote