HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Moves

Old
05-12-2014, 04:46 PM
BigHabs

vCash: 500
Offseason Moves

I think this offseason Bergevin will have his plate full.

With FA's and Salary.

PK Subban - RFA
Lars Eller - RFA
Dale Weise - RFA
Ryan White - RFA

Andrei Markov - UFA
Tomas Vanek - UFA
Douglas Murray - UFA
George Parros - UFA
Brian Gionta - UFA
Francis Bouillon - UFA
Mike Weaver - UFA

Bergevin has been wanting to get the team bigger and tougher as well. I think this offseason he will have to possible address the Center position. Desharnais/ Plekanec/ Eller/ Briere / Galchenyuk. 3 out of the 5 Centers we have have under sized and we don't have the wingers to insulate them either.

With the salary Plekanec and Desharnais make together I could see one of them moved to make salary for both Eller and Subban.

IMO all UFA's will be let go, the only one I see maybe getting an offer would be Gionta but at a well reduced cost. He will be a 3rd liner too for what ever his new contract could be. I see Bergevin letting Markov test the market. Want to be tougher and more mobile on the backend and IMO Markov is getting slower as the months pass.

In net the Habs are set with Budaj being under contract for next season. Unless a move was made to bring up Tokarski as a fulltime backup with the big club and have Fucale as a starter in Hamilton next season. One trade idea I had was Budaj to Vancouver for Tom Sestito. Beef up our bottom 6. This allows Tokarski the backup spot.

Vanek in all likely hood will hit the market and sign else where. The money he will want would be much better suited in the Habs finding better depth players and a cheaper option to fill his role like a Radim Vrbata or Matt Moulson.

Then he also has to ultimately decide on players like Briere and Bourque. Briere has been useful and Bourque has shown up for some games this playoff, but has lately been trailing off to his old self. Overall I think he might also need to look at trade and buyout options for the two in all honesty.

FORWARDS

Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($3.500m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.685m)
???? / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / ????
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Alex Galchenyuk ($0.925m) / Michael Bournival ($0.660m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Daniel Briere ($4.000m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)

DEFENSEMEN

Alexei Emelin ($4.100m) / Josh Gorges ($3.900m)
Jarred Tinordi ($0.870m) / Nathan Beaulieu ($0.925m)

GOALTENDERS

Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)

BUYOUTS

Tomas Kaberle ($0.000m)
Scott Gomez ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $44,648,333; BONUSES: $3,257,500
CAP SPACE (16-man roster): $26,451,667

As you can see we will need to potential top 6 forwards preferably wingers as well, depending on what happens with Eller or the center position. I think Moen and Prust shouldn't be anything more than 4th line players now for what they bring to the table. They are pretty beat up and have taken alot of damage whether concussions or body injuries. Just seem to be a shell of their former selves.

If Eller is re-signed I would seriously look at leaving Gallagher in a 3rd line role back with Eller and Galchenyuk re-uniting the EGG line. Allowing us to try and get some scoring wingers.

Now for a list of players I think that could fit what Bergevin would want with size and mobility from the FA's list:

Matt Moulson - top 6 guy who goes to the net and scores garbage goals.

Daniel Winnik - top 9 can play top 3 lines if needed.

Devin Setoguchi - A scoring fast winger. Could be interesting for 2nd line.

Radim Vrbata - under the radar kind of guy could be had maybe cheap.

Nikita Nikitin - Big mobile dman, with a bit of an offensive touch.

Brian Boyle - Big center can win draws and PK. He had good chemistry before with Prust in New York.

Mark Fayne - Reliable big dman. Probably a cheap pickup and will log decent minutes.

Clayton Stoner - strong physical shutdown dman. Blocks shots, can fight, and isn't a liability.

Brett Bellemore - Physical and a fighting dman. Probably cheap option as well, still very young. Right handed shot.

What are your guys opinions. You think Bergevin will be able to fill some needs and most of our issues and weaknesses this offseason or is this a multi season task he will need to fix to build us into an annual contender?

Last edited by BigHabs: 05-12-2014 at 04:52 PM.
BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 04:49 PM
That Habs Fan
CH fan in TO

we're bound to fail if we keep Desharnais as our number 1 center.

this much I can guarantee you.

That Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Habs Fan View Post
we're bound to fail if we keep Desharnais as our number 1 center.

this much I can guarantee you.
Well, whatever happens tonight, I can't see this season as failing. Desharnais as our #1 center still got us 100-pts, despite some weird stuff in the season on a number of fronts, and arguably we could be the 2nd best team in the East in the playoffs.

There's youth and wiggle room in the roster below, so even if we just went with this status quo for next season, I would not be expecting the team to "fail"...

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($3.500m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.685m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($4.000m)
Alex Galchenyuk ($0.925m) / Lars Eller ($2.750m) / Michael Bournival ($0.660m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m) / Dale Weise ($0.900m)
Daniel Briere ($4.000m) / Ryan White ($0.800m)
DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($4.100m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / P.K. Subban ($7.600m)
Jarred Tinordi ($0.870m) / Mike Weaver ($1.500m)
Nathan Beaulieu ($0.925m) /
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
BUYOUTS
Tomas Kaberle ($0.000m)
Scott Gomez ($0.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,948,333; BONUSES: $3,257,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,051,667

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Big Lurk

can we keep the offseason threads for when our playoff run is over? LOL they keep popping up like we lost already smh

Big Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 05:11 PM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lurk View Post
can we keep the offseason threads for when our playoff run is over? LOL they keep popping up like we lost already smh
LOL, I'm very optimistic. I was just looking over the salary and such and looking at our team and just wanted to know.

I feel we can still win this has nothing to do with that.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

I hope we re-sign Dale Weise, something like 2 years 800k per season.

I don't see Bergevin as a "half-measures" kind of guy, meaning that I think he'll either patch up the roster and re-sign most of his players, or he'll go for big moves.

He has a lot of support in terms of management. There's a good group of experience, and if they feel that they can make big moves that will help the team I think they'll go for it. What we need to find out, is if building outwards (trades, free agent market) is worth it for this team or not.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 05:17 PM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Well, whatever happens tonight, I can't see this season as failing. Desharnais as our #1 center still got us 100-pts, despite some weird stuff in the season on a number of fronts, and arguably we could be the 2nd best team in the East in the playoffs.

There's youth and wiggle room in the roster below, so even if we just went with this status quo for next season, I would not be expecting the team to "fail"...

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($4.000m)
Alex Galchenyuk ($0.925m) / Lars Eller ($2.750m) / Michael Bournival ($0.660m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m) / Dale Weise ($0.900m)
Daniel Briere ($4.000m) / Ryan White ($0.800m)
DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($4.100m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / P.K. Subban ($7.600m)
Jarred Tinordi ($0.870m) / Mike Weaver ($1.500m)
Nathan Beaulieu ($0.925m) /
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
BUYOUTS
Tomas Kaberle ($0.000m)
Scott Gomez ($0.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,948,333; BONUSES: $3,257,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,051,667
Galchenyuk has to play centre and this team won't exit the offseason without a single signing.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 05:29 PM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 255
My hope, all RFA's signed at reasonable price,
Subban 8 years 7 million
Weise 3 years 2 million
Eller 3 years 3.33
White 2 years 1 million

Of all the UFA's I only want Markov, Vanek (unlikely), Gionta (mega discount), and Weaver.

Markov 3 years 5.5, 4.5, 3.5 million
Vanek 7 years 7 million
Gionta 1 year 2 million
Weaver 1 year 2 million

Kobe Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 05:38 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHabs View Post
I think this offseason Bergevin will have his plate full.

With FA's and Salary.

PK Subban - RFA
Lars Eller - RFA
Dale Weise - RFA
Ryan White - RFA

Andrei Markov - UFA
Tomas Vanek - UFA
Douglas Murray - UFA
George Parros - UFA
Brian Gionta - UFA
Francis Bouillon - UFA
Mike Weaver - UFA

Bergevin has been wanting to get the team bigger and tougher as well. I think this offseason he will have to possible address the Center position. Desharnais/ Plekanec/ Eller/ Briere / Galchenyuk. 3 out of the 5 Centers we have have under sized and we don't have the wingers to insulate them either.

With the salary Plekanec and Desharnais make together I could see one of them moved to make salary for both Eller and Subban.

IMO all UFA's will be let go, the only one I see maybe getting an offer would be Gionta but at a well reduced cost. He will be a 3rd liner too for what ever his new contract could be. I see Bergevin letting Markov test the market. Want to be tougher and more mobile on the backend and IMO Markov is getting slower as the months pass.

In net the Habs are set with Budaj being under contract for next season. Unless a move was made to bring up Tokarski as a fulltime backup with the big club and have Fucale as a starter in Hamilton next season. One trade idea I had was Budaj to Vancouver for Tom Sestito. Beef up our bottom 6. This allows Tokarski the backup spot.

Vanek in all likely hood will hit the market and sign else where. The money he will want would be much better suited in the Habs finding better depth players and a cheaper option to fill his role like a Radim Vrbata or Matt Moulson.

Then he also has to ultimately decide on players like Briere and Bourque. Briere has been useful and Bourque has shown up for some games this playoff, but has lately been trailing off to his old self. Overall I think he might also need to look at trade and buyout options for the two in all honesty.

FORWARDS

???? / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / ????
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Alex Galchenyuk ($0.925m) / Michael Bournival ($0.660m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Daniel Briere ($4.000m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)

DEFENSEMEN

Alexei Emelin ($4.100m) / Josh Gorges ($3.900m)
Jarred Tinordi ($0.870m) / Nathan Beaulieu ($0.925m)

GOALTENDERS

Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)

BUYOUTS

Tomas Kaberle ($0.000m)
Scott Gomez ($0.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $44,648,333; BONUSES: $3,257,500
CAP SPACE (16-man roster): $26,451,667

As you can see we will need to potential top 6 forwards preferably wingers as well, depending on what happens with Eller or the center position. I think Moen and Prust shouldn't be anything more than 4th line players now for what they bring to the table. They are pretty beat up and have taken alot of damage whether concussions or body injuries. Just seem to be a shell of their former selves.

If Eller is re-signed I would seriously look at leaving Gallagher in a 3rd line role back with Eller and Galchenyuk re-uniting the EGG line. Allowing us to try and get some scoring wingers.

Now for a list of players I think that could fit what Bergevin would want with size and mobility from the FA's list:

Matt Moulson - top 6 guy who goes to the net and scores garbage goals.

Daniel Winnik - top 9 can play top 3 lines if needed.

Devin Setoguchi - A scoring fast winger. Could be interesting for 2nd line.

Radim Vrbata - under the radar kind of guy could be had maybe cheap.

Nikita Nikitin - Big mobile dman, with a bit of an offensive touch.

Brian Boyle - Big center can win draws and PK. He had good chemistry before with Prust in New York.

Mark Fayne - Reliable big dman. Probably a cheap pickup and will log decent minutes.

Clayton Stoner - strong physical shutdown dman. Blocks shots, can fight, and isn't a liability.

Brett Bellemore - Physical and a fighting dman. Probably cheap option as well, still very young. Right handed shot.

What are your guys opinions. You think Bergevin will be able to fill some needs and most of our issues and weaknesses this offseason or is this a multi season task he will need to fix to build us into an annual contender?
Who cares about the off season...let's win tonight. Worry about the off season when it arrives...

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 08:58 PM
Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe Armstrong View Post
My hope, all RFA's signed at reasonable price,
Subban 8 years 7 million
Weise 3 years 2 million
Eller 3 years 3.33
White 2 years 1 million

Of all the UFA's I only want Markov, Vanek (unlikely), Gionta (mega discount), and Weaver.

Markov 3 years 5.5, 4.5, 3.5 million
Vanek 7 years 7 million
Gionta 1 year 2 million
Weaver 1 year 2 million
Subban will get something between 7 and 8 millions. If he only gets 7, it's quite a discount.
Weise, 2 milllions? I don't know about that.
Eller at 3 should be enough. He's super inconsistant and honestly, even if he's doing good during these playoffs, he hasn't exactly proven that he deserves a good raise.
Whites fine.

Markov will not get anything under 5.5, that's for sure.
Vanek will probably leave, but I hope he accepts this... it's a pretty decent deal honestly.
Gionta should simply leave.
Weaver at 2 millions is a bargain, hope he stays.

Stripper is offline   Reply With Quote