HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Round II, Pick #59: Boo Nieves

Old
06-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

vCash: 500
Like this pick let's see if we can develope Boo the right way. Top 9 player for the future, I can see him being a 3rd liner.

Hanke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:18 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
And Berenson will probably do a very good job of developing him at Michigan.

The tools are there. He's a good kid willing to learn. He's going to a great program to develop.

So is Skjei.

They'll both be playing stiff competition in the CCHA and WCHA.

Fogarty will be facing Nieves quite a bit the next few years. Michigan and Notre Dame.

To me, the gap between the NCAA and CHL is nil IMO. And the Rangers are starting to take advantage of that.

They should not have pushed Miller to the CHL. But they wanted him signed ASAP.
Notre Dame is moving to Hockey East for the 2013-14 season

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:20 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
Skjei is playing for Minnesota and Nieves is going to Michigan. Notre Dame has nothing to do with anything lol.
the mention of the ND move to Hockey East was in relation to Rangers prospect Fogarty

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:08 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
damn so i wasn't going crazy last night when i read fogarty and nieves, i just quoted the wrong post LOL

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Alphacat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangerSince05 View Post
Like this pick let's see if we can develope Boo the right way. Top 9 player for the future, I can see him being a 3rd liner.
If we ultimately have Hags and Boo on the 3rd line, it would be beautiful. Great speed there.

Alphacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:22 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS913 View Post
If we ultimately have Hags and Boo on the 3rd line, it would be beautiful. Great speed there.
its a few years away but a line with those 2 and jesper fast would be speed speed and more speed

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:23 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Yeah i realized that later.

They will have at least this year, then.

Hopefully Boo has a solid first half and gets a late invite from Team USA before the final roster is selected.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:36 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Yowza. What a goal. Don't see any problems with THOSE hands.
pretty exciting selection but those two D-men deserve an assist each on that goal. How do they NOT take him out on that play? difference between junior hockey and NHL hockey.

n8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Just picked up Redline and read what Kyle had to say on Nieves...

"Couldn't score in a whorehouse with a fist full of Hundreds!"

I thought it was pretty funny at least...but later in his full report n him said he has two gears...Mach 1, and Mach II. Kyle latr said he think he will be an excellent 4 liner and compared him to Freddie Sjostrom

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:22 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Sorry for not chimin in on boo. Ive been busy with stuff. Known him since he was a squirt. He's from baldwinsville about 10 miles west of me. He had a very good career with the syr nationals. I know his game pretty well.

He's fast. Very fast. And he's quick. He's a big tall kid who flat out flies. I've seen him a lot up close and he is slippery and can embarrass defenders. He can pretzel a defenseman at will. He's an exciting player with the puck. I've seen him at ice level a ton and he's an explosive skater.

Now, having said that... His game is rather somple almost one dimensional. He never shoots the puck enough and not overly creative. he dominated with size and speed but, and I've seen it in person, he leaves you wanting more. He's scary fast but his game needs to be developed.

If you are looking for a tall, fast, explosive guy who can blow by guys..... That's boo. He needs to add another dimension to his game though.

He's a hometown guy and that's cool, but this was a bit of a reach here. Not terrible at all, just a slight reach.

offdacrossbar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:42 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Well its a second round pick. A late second round pick, no less.

You aren't drafting for what the player is presently, but for what he can be a few years down the road.

Berenson is a great coach. Michigan is a great program. Hagelin was supposed to be a third line player at most. He scored 30+ points in the NHL in less than a full season in his first season as a Pro.

Nieves has a lot of potential. Hopefully he adds the extra dimensions he needs to add to his game. Kreider was considered one dimensional when drafted. He's anything but one dimensional now.

Big upside.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:04 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Oh I agree. No doubt.

I love his speed and skills and it seemed, when I saw him play, he always looked like the best player or one of them on the ice. yet he wasnt all that productive and didn't seem to have much finish.

I agree that he's got huge upside. He's big and scary fast. He's a project for sure but there were guys I liked better available when we called his name. I'm unsure about his NHL scoring upside based on what I've seen of him.

As a boom bust type pick, he's got some serious potential to be an exciting player.

I'll say it again, a slight reach even at end of round 2

offdacrossbar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:13 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
Oh I agree. No doubt.

I love his speed and skills and it seemed, when I saw him play, he always looked like the best player or one of them on the ice. yet he wasnt all that productive and didn't seem to have much finish.

I agree that he's got huge upside. He's big and scary fast. He's a project for sure but there were guys I liked better available when we called his name. I'm unsure about his NHL scoring upside based on what I've seen of him.

As a boom bust type pick, he's got some serious potential to be an exciting player.

I'll say it again, a slight reach even at end of round 2
He wasn't my first choice, either. But I'm not paid to make those decisions lol.

Yeah that's the universal knock is his offense. The potential for it to grow is there. But it may not.

If his offense doesn't develop, and he's very very good defensively, that won't be bust IMO. It would be nice if the offense develops. But i look at McDonagh and feel he doesn't need offensive production to be considered as good as he is.

Rangers will still be going after Schultz to fill that offensive defenseman role. And they still have Del Zotto who put up over 40 points.

Its intriguing to watch how he develops with Minnesota.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:14 PM
ecemleafs

his ushl stats, although a small sample size, are pretty good for a player that age.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
Sorry for not chimin in on boo. Ive been busy with stuff. Known him since he was a squirt. He's from baldwinsville about 10 miles west of me. He had a very good career with the syr nationals. I know his game pretty well.

He's fast. Very fast. And he's quick. He's a big tall kid who flat out flies. I've seen him a lot up close and he is slippery and can embarrass defenders. He can pretzel a defenseman at will. He's an exciting player with the puck. I've seen him at ice level a ton and he's an explosive skater.

Now, having said that... His game is rather somple almost one dimensional. He never shoots the puck enough and not overly creative. he dominated with size and speed but, and I've seen it in person, he leaves you wanting more. He's scary fast but his game needs to be developed.

If you are looking for a tall, fast, explosive guy who can blow by guys..... That's boo. He needs to add another dimension to his game though.

He's a hometown guy and that's cool, but this was a bit of a reach here. Not terrible at all, just a slight reach.
Solid first hand take. With what you've laid down it will be interesting to see if he can indeed find that extra dimension. Looks like a great kid with a great attitude and confidence.

On the low end of expectations, if he ends up a solid 3rd liner who can help generate a forecheck, PK and add 10 to 15 goals, we did very well with that pick.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:28 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Boo would apprear to be the high risk, high reward type of prospect many have clamored for. I'm fine with that.

At least one mock on NHL.com had him in the first round.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Another long term project with some nice raw skill. I see a pattern here

I find it very interesting that Theodor Blueger was taken ahead of Nieves. And of course, Penguins selected Blueger.

Blueger.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:45 PM
MHNet

Just to clear up some of the college hockey realignment confusion from earlier in this thread...

With Penn State going to Division I status in hockey, at long last the Big Ten Hockey Conference was born. The NCAA requires a minimum six teams in a league to garner an auto-bid to the NCAA tourney. PSU became the sixth team needed. So Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, PSU, Minnesota, and Wisconsin will start that league in 2013.

After that announcement, to the shock of the college hockey community, five WCHA teams as well as Miami from the CCHA announced plans to leave their conferences to form the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (aka dumbest conference name EVER). Western Michigan and St. Cloud State later joined. If you look at the names involved with this conference they all have one thing in common: powerhouses. The reason the initial five teams from the WCHA left was financial. The teams that left wanted to basically invest more money, whereas the teams left behind did not want to make the same financial commitment. It was a riff that developed over time, so they finally decided to abandon ship and start their own league with programs/universities who are committed to making their teams best of the best.

With both the CCHA and WCHA left with predominately second rate teams, Notre Dame decided to jump to Hockey East. Why? Because while Notre Dame football is independent, all other ND sports are a part of the Big East conference. They opted to join Hockey East over the NCHC.

The remaining CCHA schools will merge with the WCHA to form the new WCHA. The CCHA will be no more after next season. And going back to the point about the WCHA teams who didn't want to spend money, the "new" WCHA members met a few weeks ago to discuss a wide range of topics, one of which apparently involved a playoff format in which Alaska and Alaska-Anchorage will always meet in the first round of the playoffs every year regardless of seeding unless one of them wins the regular season title and gets a bye. In other words, in the WCHA playoffs, Alaska could be the #2 seed and AA the #3 seed and instead of facing the #9 and #8 seeds in the opening round, they would face each other. This is so teams could avoid the cost of having to fly to Alaska, should they get home ice, or the Alaska teams fly elsewhere. This basically renders the regular season and tourney seeding process pointless. I'm not saying it's cheap to fly to and from Alaska, but the impression this decision received is the new league is second-rate, and it validates why the powerhouse teams abandoned them. Sounds like they might reconsider it, and I hope they do.

As for Boo Nieves, I can't wait to see him at Michigan. If Boo is more of a play maker than scorer, I have no problem with that. You need both types of players and if he can create for others with his size, speed, and skill, Michigan has players who can finish the job. Just play to his strengths. U-M has lacked an elite play making center for a few years, and traditionally they were the 5'9 super skilled midgets like T.J. Hensick. If we can get someone 6'3 to do that job, sounds good to me! I'd love to see Nieves lined up between Alex Guptill and Phil Di Giuseppe and see what they can create.

One other note, Nieves's coach at Kent... Matt Herr... captained Michigan's 1998 NCAA National Championship team.

Last edited by MHNet: 06-26-2012 at 04:51 PM.
MHNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:57 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

@____@ i just need to see a chart of the final leagues to make sense of it all.

n8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:17 PM
MHNet

Big Ten Hockey Conference (to begin in 2013)
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Minnesota
Wisconsin

National Collegiate Hockey Conference (to begin in 2013)
North Dakota
Denver
Colorado College
St. Cloud State
Nebraska-Omaha
Miami
Western Michigan
Minnesota-Duluth

WCHA (2013)
Alaska
Alaska-Anchorage
Bemidji State
Minnesota State-Mankato
Michigan Tech
Northern Michigan
Ferris State
Bowling Green
Lake Superior State

Hockey East (2013)
Boston College
Boston University
Connecticut (to join in 2014)
Maine
UMass
UMass-Lowell
Merrimack
New Hampshire
Northeastern
Notre Dame
Providence
Vermont

CCHA (2013)
RIP

Atlantic Hockey Association remains the same, except they lose Connecticut in 2014.

Old
06-26-2012, 05:25 PM
NYRSchrute217

Love this kid's speed and potential, could be another Kreider. Michigan will get the most out of him. Hopefully a future 2nd liner. Really good pick in the late 2nd round

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:20 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHNet View Post
Big Ten Hockey Conference (to begin in 2013)
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State
Minnesota
Wisconsin

National Collegiate Hockey Conference (to begin in 2013)
North Dakota
Denver
Colorado College
St. Cloud State
Nebraska-Omaha
Miami
Western Michigan
Minnesota-Duluth

WCHA (2013)
Alaska
Alaska-Anchorage
Bemidji State
Minnesota State-Mankato
Michigan Tech
Northern Michigan
Ferris State
Bowling Green
Lake Superior State

Hockey East (2013)
Boston College
Boston University
Connecticut (to join in 2014)
Maine
UMass
UMass-Lowell
Merrimack
New Hampshire
Northeastern
Notre Dame
Providence
Vermont

CCHA (2013)
RIP

Atlantic Hockey Association remains the same, except they lose Connecticut in 2014.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHNet View Post
Just to clear up some of the college hockey realignment confusion from earlier in this thread...

With Penn State going to Division I status in hockey, at long last the Big Ten Hockey Conference was born. The NCAA requires a minimum six teams in a league to garner an auto-bid to the NCAA tourney. PSU became the sixth team needed. So Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, PSU, Minnesota, and Wisconsin will start that league in 2013.

After that announcement, to the shock of the college hockey community, five WCHA teams as well as Miami from the CCHA announced plans to leave their conferences to form the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (aka dumbest conference name EVER). Western Michigan and St. Cloud State later joined. If you look at the names involved with this conference they all have one thing in common: powerhouses. The reason the initial five teams from the WCHA left was financial. The teams that left wanted to basically invest more money, whereas the teams left behind did not want to make the same financial commitment. It was a riff that developed over time, so they finally decided to abandon ship and start their own league with programs/universities who are committed to making their teams best of the best.

With both the CCHA and WCHA left with predominately second rate teams, Notre Dame decided to jump to Hockey East. Why? Because while Notre Dame football is independent, all other ND sports are a part of the Big East conference. They opted to join Hockey East over the NCHC.

The remaining CCHA schools will merge with the WCHA to form the new WCHA. The CCHA will be no more after next season. And going back to the point about the WCHA teams who didn't want to spend money, the "new" WCHA members met a few weeks ago to discuss a wide range of topics, one of which apparently involved a playoff format in which Alaska and Alaska-Anchorage will always meet in the first round of the playoffs every year regardless of seeding unless one of them wins the regular season title and gets a bye. In other words, in the WCHA playoffs, Alaska could be the #2 seed and AA the #3 seed and instead of facing the #9 and #8 seeds in the opening round, they would face each other. This is so teams could avoid the cost of having to fly to Alaska, should they get home ice, or the Alaska teams fly elsewhere. This basically renders the regular season and tourney seeding process pointless. I'm not saying it's cheap to fly to and from Alaska, but the impression this decision received is the new league is second-rate, and it validates why the powerhouse teams abandoned them. Sounds like they might reconsider it, and I hope they do.

As for Boo Nieves, I can't wait to see him at Michigan. If Boo is more of a play maker than scorer, I have no problem with that. You need both types of players and if he can create for others with his size, speed, and skill, Michigan has players who can finish the job. Just play to his strengths. U-M has lacked an elite play making center for a few years, and traditionally they were the 5'9 super skilled midgets like T.J. Hensick. If we can get someone 6'3 to do that job, sounds good to me! I'd love to see Nieves lined up between Alex Guptill and Phil Di Giuseppe and see what they can create.

One other note, Nieves's coach at Kent... Matt Herr... captained Michigan's 1998 NCAA National Championship team.
Thank you for this. This clears up a lot, makes sense of the whole thing.

The new WCHA looks pretty weak.

You didn't mention the ECAC but i assume it'll remain unchanged.

Atlantic Hockey
ECAC
Hockey East
Big 10
NCHC
WCHA

Old
06-27-2012, 01:48 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Damn. Why is it that the rival Rangers always draft the players I like, Stepan, Krieder and now Nieves and Skeji.
I really liked Nieves play in the Ivan Hlinka last year, I think he'll be a solid player.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 07:27 AM
MHNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Thank you for this. This clears up a lot, makes sense of the whole thing.

The new WCHA looks pretty weak.

You didn't mention the ECAC but i assume it'll remain unchanged.

Atlantic Hockey
ECAC
Hockey East
Big 10
NCHC
WCHA
Whoops... yes, the ECAC remains unchanged, too.

Old
06-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Edge

I like Sjostrom comparison for Nieves. I think the kid could develop into a solid bottom six player, but the offensive toolbox just isn't there. It's not just a matter of shooting more, I think the feet are just a heck of a lot faster than the hands and the playmaking.

The thing is, speed almost always has a place in the game. Even if someone isn't a scorer, if you can have a guy who can cover a lot of ground, you almost certainly have some value.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote