HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Round II, Pick #59: Boo Nieves

Old
07-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
True.

Getting back to Nieves, he really doesn't seem to have the hands or vision you usually see with a kid who is going to be a point producer at the pro level.

Certainly it could develop, but guys usually don't suddenly get better hands or see the ice in a different way.

His speed will generate some offense, but I don't believe he will be a big time scorer at the higher levels. Obviously time will tell.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:16 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
True.

Getting back to Nieves, he really doesn't seem to have the hands or vision you usually see with a kid who is going to be a point producer at the pro level.

Certainly it could develop, but guys usually don't suddenly get better hands or see the ice in a different way.

His speed will generate some offense, but I don't believe he will be a big time scorer at the higher levels. Obviously time will tell.
Obviously we'd all like him to top out much higher, but if he can be a 10-goal version of Sjostrom, then he'd certainly be a useful player. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a 20 goal Sjostrom, though.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:43 PM
mildyinterested2

More On Nieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Obviously we'd all like him to top out much higher, but if he can be a 10-goal version of Sjostrom, then he'd certainly be a useful player. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a 20 goal Sjostrom, though.
Some data points on Nieves;

He will put on ~ 20 more pounds in next couple years...in family genetics...so his frame will be much more complete soon.

Feedback from Rangers development camp was strong - scored a highlight goal and beautiful assist...certainly displayed strong hockey sense around prospects, which are at a much higher level of skill than he has played with at Prep and USHL

USHL performance...In 13 games his stats per game were as good as the best 94' players...without benefit of acclimation...So if that is his performance with limited exposure/time to adjust, imagine what he would have done for a full season.

He is a natural playmaker, but has a very solid shot which he will utilize more now that he will be around players who will pass him the puck versus playing with players who a) did not know how to move the puck to him and b) mishandled passes that skilled players know how to finish.

Vision is exceptional...this will become apparent as he gets time with players at U of M and is surrounded by players who are positionally better than the players he was with the last 2 years.

Combine his eventual size with the better talent around him and it's a scary proposition. In 2 - 3 years I think it will be interesting to revisit this whole discussion.

mildyinterested2 is offline   Reply With Quote