HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Day 2 of the draft starts now

Old
06-23-2012, 10:53 AM
gongshow519

vCash: 500
Hey guys, i just wanted to say that Athanasiou in the 4th round is a steal. I had him in the first 40 but getting him at 110 is lucky for you guys. He is the best skater in the draft and great hands, and he underperformed last year but has a bright future imo

gongshow519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Ricelund
We like our team.

I love the Frk pick.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Just woke up... I like the picks so far!

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
XO

If Slepyshev is still there when we pick at #170 I really hope we "gamble" on him.

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongshow519 View Post
Hey guys, i just wanted to say that Athanasiou in the 4th round is a steal. I had him in the first 40 but getting him at 110 is lucky for you guys. He is the best skater in the draft and great hands, and he underperformed last year but has a bright future imo
I've seen him play he's definately not a steal.

Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:55 AM
sarcastro

Just spitballing here - maybe they skipped defensemen early on purpose because they feel/know they've got Schultz and/or Dekeyser coming in. That would make this draft a lot more palatable for sure.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:56 AM
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Just spitballing here - maybe they skipped defensemen early on purpose because they feel/know they've got Schultz and/or Dekeyser coming in. That would make this draft a lot more palatable for sure.
I hope thats the case.

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Marky9er

This McKee guy will probably do some serious damage to our other prospects lol

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Boomhower

I'm sorry, but I have to ask... what is the point of a player like McKee going the college route? I wonder if an OHL team owns his rights yet?

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:59 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower View Post
I'm sorry, but I have to ask... what is the point of a player like McKee going the college route? I wonder if an OHL team owns his rights yet?
Get a degree because with his numbers it's doubtful he's going to be making a boatload of cash in pro hockey. It's possible that he has an epiphany and things fall into place for him, can't see his earlier level stats, but I don't see it. Then again... Ericsson was completely off the radar until the Wings inexplicably signed him for GR and then he showed far more than he ever did in Sweden.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Go Wings

Quote:
The point is simply time. He'll have time to develop his game and work on his weaknesses.

Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Marky9er

Quote:
Ottawa 67's

Old
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Could be. Especially since we have a fair bit of good defensive prospects aswell. Calle Andersson would've seemed like a Andersson pick in the 4th rd.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Yeti
HFBoards Partner

I'm a Lincoln Stars season ticket holder, the team Mike McKee played for last season so I've watched him live 40+ times at least. If you have any specific questions, please let me know.

Great kid. HUGE frame. Punishes players. Not afraid to drop his gloves to protect a teammate or fire his club up. Cannon of a shot. He's almost too big for the USHL game. I think he'd be better off going to Western Michigan this season, or going to major junior. But I know his family is big on education.

Moves unbelievably well for a big guy. Ask around to fans who watch the USHL, and they'll tell you his footwork and speed are above average considering his size. He was at Lincoln's tryout camp in Minneapolis a few weeks ago, so I assume he'll play another season in the USHL. There was talk of him playing forward next season instead of defense. I believe he grew up playing forward but switched to defense when he played prep hockey at Kent School in Connecticut.

I run a blog devoted to the Stars and I have a lot of info about McKee there: http://www.lincolnstarsblog.com/

Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Get a degree because with his numbers it's doubtful he's going to be making a boatload of cash in pro hockey.
Haha, well that is true!

Uggh, another year in the USHL? Don't like the sounds of that!

thanks for the insight Yeti! Was he even used on the PP, with that Cannon of a shot?

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:02 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Could be. Especially since we have a fair bit of good defensive prospects aswell. Calle Andersson would've seemed like a Andersson pick in the 4th rd.
i was expecting fredric larsson to end up with the wings. he had written "hakan loves me" all over him.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:03 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
I'm a Lincoln Stars season ticket holder, the team Mike McKee played for last season so I've watched him live 40+ times at least. If you have any specific questions, please let me know.

Great kid. HUGE frame. Punishes players. Not afraid to drop his gloves to protect a teammate or fire his club up. Cannon of a shot. He's almost too big for the USHL game. I think he'd be better off going to Western Michigan this season, or going to major junior. But I know his family is big on education.

Moves unbelievably well for a big guy. Ask around to fans who watch the USHL, and they'll tell you his footwork and speed are above average considering his size. He was at Lincoln's tryout camp in Minneapolis a few weeks ago, so I assume he'll play another season in the USHL. There was talk of him playing forward next season instead of defense. I believe he grew up playing forward but switched to defense when he played prep hockey at Kent School in Connecticut.

I run a blog devoted to the Stars and I have a lot of info about McKee there: http://www.lincolnstarsblog.com/
Well that's very nice to hear. I don't like him less if he can also plug into the forward position.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowings4013 View Post
Just woke up... I like the picks so far!
You forgot the !

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:04 AM
sarcastro

Quote:

If he's that big, that good of a skater, and plays nasty, he'll probably play in the NHL at some point. Might not be in Detroit, but there are a lot of guys in the NHL that would probably play better without sticks, but they're huge and mess guys up.

I have a hard time seeing such a player getting to the top of the Wings' D pipeline. We'll see.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:

Thanks for posting, it's great to hear from people who have seen these guys play a fair bit!

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
norrisnick

Quote:

The bolded is very interesting. Jonathan Ericsson v.2.0? E had himself 13 points in 148 games over 3 years before coming to GR. Similar size. McKee obviously meaner, but E also moves fairly well for a big guy.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:06 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
i was expecting fredric larsson to end up with the wings. he had written "hakan loves me" all over him.
Two types of Andersson picks. Either someone people scream "who?" about, or someone who people expected to be picked a lot higher before Detroit finally drafts him.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Sounds to me like Mckee was picked as a career AHLer to protect incoming assets.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Marky9er

Ryan Olsen to WPG, Coda Gordon to CGY....couple late picks I was interested in gone. Marcus McIvor maybe.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Sounds to me like Mckee was picked as a career AHLer to protect incoming assets.
There's much easier ways to get a goon to play for your AHL team

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote