HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2012 Draft - 2nd Pick: Mitch Moroz

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Wheatking

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Thought it was early but Rambo says no way he'd make it to 3rd.

I like the pick.

How does he compare to someone like Ben Eager?
At the junior level, I'd say Moroz is everything we wish Eager was in the NHL. He understands his role and doesn't appear to be under the impression that he's just a real opportunity away from being a legit top 6 player...unlike Eager. He hits star players, stands up for his teammates, chips in some offense(especially in the final 40 games of the season) and understands when sometimes he just needs to fight to sway the momentum. He had 19 fights in 64 games. That's almost once every 3 games. He's definitely willing...and he took on pretty much everyone the WHL has to offer. Which isn't easy for a 17 year old. A lot of these guys had size and experience on him.

The only issue anyone should have with this selection is the pick used to make it. The player is someone worth being excited about. Who knows what he becomes but right now, on his draft day, Moroz is exactly the type of prospect the Oilers need.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:11 AM
AK Dandyman

Watched lots of Oil Kings playoff games, I like Moroz.

However, picking him at 32nd, we could potentially missing out on some top end talents.

If players like Ryan O'Reilly, Shea Weber, PK Subban could be found, you do take a stab at trying for those high end guys and wait for 3rd round and later before taking on a big long project, like Moroz, which is only a bottom 6 forwards on his junior team.

I don't really like the "we know this guy" draft method in the first 2 or 3 rounds. Same thing with reaching for Travis Ewanyk in the 3rd round last year, but at least it wasn't in the 2nd round where some potential very high end talents were still there.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:58 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
At the junior level, I'd say Moroz is everything we wish Eager was in the NHL. He understands his role and doesn't appear to be under the impression that he's just a real opportunity away from being a legit top 6 player...unlike Eager. He hits star players, stands up for his teammates, chips in some offense(especially in the final 40 games of the season) and understands when sometimes he just needs to fight to sway the momentum. He had 19 fights in 64 games. That's almost once every 3 games. He's definitely willing...and he took on pretty much everyone the WHL has to offer. Which isn't easy for a 17 year old. A lot of these guys had size and experience on him.

The only issue anyone should have with this selection is the pick used to make it. The player is someone worth being excited about. Who knows what he becomes but right now, on his draft day, Moroz is exactly the type of prospect the Oilers need.
Good analysis, Wheatking. Moroz is a player the Oil wanted, who potentially fills a team need, and who wouldn't be there for the team's next pick. Sources say multiple teams were interested in him and that he almost certainly would have been picked six picks later by Carolina, so I'm not certain why this is such a bad pick for the Oil at the position where he was taken. There is a reason that NHL teams spend millions of dollars on scouting instead of relying on Central Scouting's and the ISS's draft rankings.

So, given Stu's recent track record at the draft, I'd say his scouting team seems to be on the ball, and the pick, where taken, is likely appropriate.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:23 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post
Watched lots of Oil Kings playoff games, I like Moroz.

However, picking him at 32nd, we could potentially missing out on some top end talents.

If players like Ryan O'Reilly, Shea Weber, PK Subban could be found, you do take a stab at trying for those high end guys and wait for 3rd round and later before taking on a big long project, like Moroz, which is only a bottom 6 forwards on his junior team.

I don't really like the "we know this guy" draft method in the first 2 or 3 rounds. Same thing with reaching for Travis Ewanyk in the 3rd round last year, but at least it wasn't in the 2nd round where some potential very high end talents were still there.

Maybe they consider him the player with the highest potential out of those available. With Yakupov in the fold, the top 6 is set for years to come. There were no D prospects with top pairing potential where the Oilers were drafting and they do not really need another Teubert/Plante. So they picked the guy who meets the need and possibly has potential to turn into something more than a 3-4th line agitator.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:05 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Maybe they consider him the player with the highest potential out of those available. With Yakupov in the fold, the top 6 is set for years to come. There were no D prospects with top pairing potential where the Oilers were drafting and they do not really need another Teubert/Plante. So they picked the guy who meets the need and possibly has potential to turn into something more than a 3-4th line agitator.
I think that's just it. At worst he's Ben Eager that's more willing to get his nose dirty(assuming he's not a total bust). At best he's Lucic lite and he can play as our #2 LW. There's nothing wrong with taking that. Sure there were good dmen available, but we don't need to take any more dmen. We're at the point with our defense where if Stu really likes a guy, we should take him, but we don't NEED to take them

Old
06-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Rawg
CEM

Lets not forget how Boston was criticized for drafting that goon, Milan Luicic in the 2nd round (using our pick too?)

Old
06-24-2012, 11:33 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBrownHero View Post
Lets not forget how Boston was criticized for drafting that goon, Milan Luicic in the 2nd round (using our pick too?)
Lucic is an aberration.

06-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Lucic is an aberration.
For certain. We don't know what Moroz's top end is, but it is highly likely not going to be Lucic caliber. That in itself doesn't necessarily make it a bad pick. The Bruins hit it out of the park with Lucic. Moroz is a bad ass who plays with a chip and has some skill as well. His development will be interesting to watch, and he will help the big club however he develops. I like the pick.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:57 AM
hockeyaddict101

I don't know if I am that upset, he was projecting upward and in this draft the player projected at being pick 32 could be as good at the play picked 62. This draft isn't deep and the differences between the players is not wide.

The Oilers clearly picking for need in this draft. I have no problem with it.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:02 PM
rockinghockey

I like the pick, even if he becomes a 3rd line player with toughness it is worth it as we are short on size and toughness.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I like the pick, even if he becomes a 3rd line player with toughness it is worth it as we are short on size and toughness.
A quality 3rd liner with toughness who plays in the NHL is a good pick at 32nd overall, as the vast majority of players picked at 32 do not become NHL regulars, and very few star players are picked at that position, so I don't mind the Oilers going off the board to select Moroz, a player that they think will be useful to them.

Since 1990, seven players drafted 32nd overall have played more (or are close to playing more) than 300 NHL games and 11 players have played less than 100 NHL games.
Players Drafted 32nd overall since 1990:
Jiri Slegr (1990)NHL totals gp: 622, g: 56, a: 193, pts: 249
Rene Corbet (1991) NHL totals gp: 362, g: 58 a: 74, pts: 132
Drew Bannister(1992) NHL Totals gp: 164, g: 5, a: 25, pts: 30
Shean Donovan (1993) NHL totals gp: 951, g: 112, a: 129, pts: 241
Johan Davidsson (1994) NHL totals gp: 82, g: 6, a: 9, pts: 15
Jan Hlaváč (1995) NHL totals gp: 436, g: 90, a: 134, pts: 224
Pavel Skrbek (1996) NHL totals gp: 12 g: 0, a: 0, pts: 0
Brad DeFauw (1997) NHL Totals gp: 9, g: 3, a: 0 pts: 3
Jonathan Cheechoo (1998) NHL totals gp: 501, g: 170, a: 135 pts: 305
Luke Sellars (1999) NHL totals gp: 1, g: 0, a: 0, pts: 0
Tomáš Kůrka (2000) NHL totals gp: 17, g: 3, a: 2, pts: 5
Derek Roy (2001) NHL totals gp: 549, g:161, a: 266, pts: 427 (Current NHLer)
Janos Vas (2002) No NHL games
Ryan Stone (2003) NHL totals gp: 35, g: 0 a: 7 pts: 7
Dave Bolland (2004)NHL totals gp: 297, g: 63, a: 91, pts: 154 (Current NHLer)
Tyler Plante (2005) No NHL games
Carl Sneep (2006) NHL totals gp: 1, g: 0, a: 1
Brett MacLean (2007) NHL totals gp: 18, g: 2, a: 3 pts: 5
Vyacheslav Voynov (2008) NHL totals gp: 54, g: 8, a: 12 pts: 20 (Current NHLer)
Landon Ferraro (2009) too young assess
Jared Knight (2010) too young to assess
Ty Rattie (2011) too young to assess

Old
06-25-2012, 08:09 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
We picked Lander at a similar position and I think the odds of him being anything more than a 3rd line center are about the same as Moroz. I don't mind this pick as he Moroz brings and element we really lack and is hard to find.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:42 AM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBrownHero View Post
I'd settle for a Chris Neil.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Game 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
For certain. We don't know what Moroz's top end is, but it is highly likely not going to be Lucic caliber. That in itself doesn't necessarily make it a bad pick. The Bruins hit it out of the park with Lucic. Moroz is a bad ass who plays with a chip and has some skill as well. His development will be interesting to watch, and he will help the big club however he develops. I like the pick.
I like the pick too. If you want skilled toughness you have to go after it early in the draft. Lots of teams are looking for this quality after the top 10 are gone so this isnt a wasted pick, and it isnt early in the draft for this kind of potential. As the team gets better in the standings with the skill we have I would expect to see this happen more often. If you look back at past drafts this kind of player went way earlier than expected, no differance here.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Can anyone that watched the OK's a good amount this year comment on his role/ice-time with them this previous season and what might be in store for him on the team next year?

Old
06-25-2012, 09:33 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Wow I was reading Matheson Anne he totally called moroz being picked

Old
06-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
I don't know if I am that upset, he was projecting upward and in this draft the player projected at being pick 32 could be as good at the play picked 62. This draft isn't deep and the differences between the players is not wide.

The Oilers clearly picking for need in this draft. I have no problem with it.
I like it to a certain extent. I think in the 2nd round you still need to take BPA. I would have had less of a problem with this pick if we had a 2nd 2nd rounder and used ours to draft Thrower(BPA & need) and then used the extra one to draft Moroz(need).

Now you ask how we would have acquired that 2nd rounder? Taking Anaheim's 2nd rounder this year instead of 2013, honestly why did we do this? I know that's criticism with hindsite but a lot of people were asking this at the time.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
Can anyone that watched the OK's a good amount this year comment on his role/ice-time with them this previous season and what might be in store for him on the team next year?
One thing I like about Moroz as a player is that he'll likely be in the NHL based on his skating ability and size and aggressiveness on a 3rd or 4th line. Then once the numbers start to come he will get moved up. Next season for the OK's I expect him to be a bruising 2nd liner for them.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:13 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I like it to a certain extent. I think in the 2nd round you still need to take BPA. I would have had less of a problem with this pick if we had a 2nd 2nd rounder and used ours to draft Thrower(BPA & need) and then used the extra one to draft Moroz(need).

Now you ask how we would have acquired that 2nd rounder? Taking Anaheim's 2nd rounder this year instead of 2013, honestly why did we do this? I know that's criticism with hindsite but a lot of people were asking this at the time.
They did it because they wanted to spread out the picks they had. That and I think they might've known the depth of the draft wasn't that good when they made the deal.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
They did it because they wanted to spread out the picks they had. That and I think they might've known the depth of the draft wasn't that good when they made the deal.
Well I think this saying goes for almost anything but a pick in hand is worth 2 in the bush. Just ask New Jersey about that theory and keeping/fore-fitting a pick in a "weak" draft. The way I look at it is you keep the pick if you like the players projected in that area. Not weather or not the draft is good or weak. We hear this every season and then by draft day it turns out the best draft of the decade turns into the 2nd weakest draft of the past decade.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
One thing I like about Moroz as a player is that he'll likely be in the NHL based on his skating ability and size and aggressiveness on a 3rd or 4th line. Then once the numbers start to come he will get moved up. Next season for the OK's I expect him to be a bruising 2nd liner for them.
Yeah from what I've heard it's a relatively safe pick in the fact that he will be an NHL player, it just depends if he'll develop well enough to be more than a 4th liner. If everything went perfectly, maybe a David Clarkson type?

Old
06-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
Yeah from what I've heard it's a relatively safe pick in the fact that he will be an NHL player, it just depends if he'll develop well enough to be more than a 4th liner. If everything went perfectly, maybe a David Clarkson type?
I'd say if everything goes perfect he'll be Lucic but those are lofty expectations. So I'm fine if he turns into a Clarkson type player. Likely more of a badass though.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:45 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:

I don't think that is good hindsight at all. 2012 is projecting to be a weak draft, 2013 much stronger.

In hindsight, it looks like Tambo make the right decision not to take the pick this year.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
I don't think that is good hindsight at all. 2012 is projecting to be a weak draft, 2013 much stronger.

In hindsight, it looks like Tambo make the right decision not to take the pick this year.
Yep and 2014 is gonna be even better, why didn't Tambo take the pick for that season. Actually I'm hearing 2015 is gonna be the best of the decade.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:53 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Yep and 2014 is gonna be even better, why didn't Tambo take the pick for that season. Actually I'm hearing 2015 is gonna be the best of the decade.
Really he had all those choices?

In reality, people on this board were upset because this was projected to be a great draft. I remember being surprised too.

Give the credit to Stu if you want but he was right and the people on the board were wrong. I am not a Tambellini fan either, but I am not going to criticize a good decision.

Closed Thread